Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Akron @ Kent State
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Akron @ Kent State
The Golden Flashes (18-12, 10-7) host the Zips (23-7, conference champs) on Friday night in a game that will be televised by ESPN2. For the Flashes, this is not only an opportunity to earn a top 4 seed in the MAC Tournament, but also a chance to sweep the season series against their rival and head into March on a six game tear.

The Zips, on the other hand, are looking to avenge the loss at the JAR a few weeks ago and get back on track after losing 3 of their last 4. Despite their recent hiccups not much has changed for Akron. They are still a big physical team that is very dangerous if their guards get it going to free up Johnson and Cheetham.

I would image that KSU has some defensive wrinkles ready to throw at Akron. To me that is key #1 with #1a being to keep Jimmy Hall out of foul trouble. Under no circumstances should he go into the locker room with 3 fouls. Otherwise, continue to take care of the basketball, have some fun, feed off the energy in the MAC Center and let the chips fall where they may.

We should have a pretty good idea of how the other Chips, and the Huskies did by the time the game tips at 9:00PM.

GO FLASHES!
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 10:16 AM by fallsdog.)
03-02-2017 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
RE: Akron @ Kent State
I am psyched. Should be an electric atmosphere.
03-02-2017 11:19 AM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
I would expect us to push the ball at a very fast first half pace in order to run Big Dog or take advantage of his endurance. JH should get some buckets by beating him down the court. Half time should be close. Second half, we prevail by at least 10 as first half pace pays its toll. How is that for a vision?
03-02-2017 11:44 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

I like it. And think that is a huge key to beating akron. Because also as good as their guards are...they are flawed.
03-02-2017 11:52 AM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
We should have a pretty good idea of how the other Chips, and the Huskies did by the time the game tips at 9:00PM.

GO FLASHES!
[/quote]

We are the last game of the night, everyone else plays at 7pm. so we will know soon after game starts where we stand.

That being said , just win baby just win!!!!!!!!!!!
03-02-2017 02:17 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Think our guards can match up pretty good. Avery has come a long way offensively and defensively. Szabo is very good on some nights. We will be OK.
03-02-2017 02:24 PM
Advertisement

fallsdog Offline
All American

A little walk down memory lane of one of, if not the best, mid major rivalries in the country:

Darren Goodson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8DDcuhCUM

Kris Brewer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBosbwK2cww

Al Fisher. One of the best basketball games I have ever attended featuring the play by play by Michael Reghi. Sorry about the video quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFx3nT4Id40

Any other good videos out there?
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 08:30 AM by fallsdog.)
03-03-2017 08:29 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

I found the following information on the Kent State Sports Website. It clears the waters.

A Kent State victory with a loss by Ohio (vs. Miami) OR Buffalo (vs. BGSU) OR Western Michigan (vs. CMU) would secure a bye at Quicken Loans Arena.

A Kent State loss with wins by Ohio and Western Michigan and losses by Buffalo and Ball State (vs. Northern Illinois) would secure the 4 seed at Quicken Loans Arena.

I prefer the first scenario.
03-03-2017 11:44 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-03-2017 11:44 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  I found the following information on the Kent State Sports Website. It clears the waters.

A Kent State victory with a loss by Ohio (vs. Miami) OR Buffalo (vs. BGSU) OR Western Michigan (vs. CMU) would secure a bye at Quicken Loans Arena.

A Kent State loss with wins by Ohio and Western Michigan and losses by Buffalo and Ball State (vs. Northern Illinois) would secure the 4 seed at Quicken Loans Arena.

I prefer the first scenario.

I think that last one is just a subset of the first one. As the first one says a loss by Buffalo clinches it. It's a five way tie and apparently we only have the tie breaker with Ball St. We need one of the other 3 teams to fall out. Never mind I just saw that second option is with a Kent loss. I also prefer the first scenario.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 12:24 PM by burden.)
03-03-2017 12:20 PM
barndog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(03-03-2017 08:29 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  A little walk down memory lane of one of, if not the best, mid major rivalries in the country:

Darren Goodson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8DDcuhCUM

Kris Brewer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBosbwK2cww

Al Fisher. One of the best basketball games I have ever attended featuring the play by play by Michael Reghi. Sorry about the video quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFx3nT4Id40

Any other good videos out there?

The Brewer game-winner with Ty audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G65C-wQvCM
03-03-2017 01:15 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Great memories.
03-03-2017 04:37 PM
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Getting ready to leave for the game.

Wanted to quickly comment on our defense leading into this one. I think defense is going to be the key to winning. In my opinion it's why we took the last one against them. Three observations on our defense.

1. I loved the way Hall fronted Johnson all night. It really exposed the fact that Johnson doesn't have the mobility to prevent Hall from recovering. He never proved he could so I would definitely start with more of the same. I really hope we have a contingency plan in place though because you can bet Dambrot has a game plan to work around what we did last time. That defense leaves Hall in one-on-one coverage against him, which I prefer because it doesn't leave a shooter open, but if they figure out how to beat it, Hall could pick up some fouls. So I would start with it but have a backup plan that might involve De La Rosa leaning on Johnson all night.

2. I also loved the way we started Edwin on Cheatham and forced him to try to beat us inside. Again he didn't prove he could so that worked well. I'd start with this same look too but again be weary of Dambrot figuring it out. My guess is he'll run stuff designed to get Cheatham either deeper in the post (which could cost Edwin fouls) or he'll run stuff to get him more space to get his shot off. This one might be tough because Edwin has the foot speed on him. Again, I hope we have a contingency plan here possibly involving Pippen. I loved how we approached defending them last time, but we gotta switch it up a little this time or you can bet Dambrot will find a way to exploit both matchups which would possibly run up fouls on our two seniors.

3. Finally, I've noticed us run a play designed to bate the opposing players bigs into turnovers a lot lately. When one big catches it in the post our weak side post defender (usually Hall when this play is run) aggressively doubles immediately leaving the other post wide open. While this is going on, a guard (usually Walker) is slipping under the open big from the baseline side so the big with the ball doesn't see him. It worked well against BG in particular. This is a tricky play that I like, but I'd be cautious with it tonight. Akron has shooters and if they've picked this play up on tape it could wind up in a lot of open corner threes.

As far as offense goes, Akron gives up the highest 3 point percentage of any team in the MAC. Hopefully we can exploit that. I'm hoping to see Avery come out ready to shoot it tonight.
03-03-2017 07:38 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Central is the best hope...down 1 at half
03-03-2017 07:53 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Not looking good. Ohio, Buffalo, WMU are all up. WMU is our only hope but it's becoming a long shot.
03-03-2017 08:40 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
No help as Ohio, WMU and Buffalo won. We are playing for the 5 seed.
03-03-2017 09:21 PM
goldenflash13 Offline
Water Engineer

Looks like CMU will be the #11 seed and Miami the #12, for potential opponents on Monday.
03-03-2017 09:50 PM
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-03-2017 09:50 PM)goldenflash13 Wrote:  Looks like CMU will be the #11 seed and Miami the #12, for potential opponents on Monday.

We really need to win then because I want nothing to do with CMU.
03-03-2017 10:16 PM
OLNWFLSH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KSU
(03-03-2017 10:16 PM)burden Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 09:50 PM)goldenflash13 Wrote:  Looks like CMU will be the #11 seed and Miami the #12, for potential opponents on Monday.

We really need to win then because I want nothing to do with CMU.

Well maybe see some of you folks in Cleveland and maybe not - could be time to move on to baseball season or not. A Friday game - off of work - seems low probability after watching this
03-03-2017 11:10 PM
Albert Flasher Offline
2nd String

Okay, so the Golden Flashes didn't have it tonight. When it is time for retrospection, I guess what did a respectable as there were eight new players brought in this year.

So let's get ready for Monday.

As for a POY observation, the times I have watched Big Dog Johnson, I have not been overly impressed, especially when you compare him to Jimmy. Okay, so he has an up & under move that he uses once in a while, but I don't would not vote for him for POY. I would take Jimmy over him.

My view is that both Johnson & Cheatham have both tailed-off as the season progressed, while the Zips guard play stepped up.
03-03-2017 11:19 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
First, what a sad showing by the Akron fans. I wasn't at the game at Akron, but we aren't the #1 seed too. I'm guessing 40 people made the 20 minute drive.

Now I'm sick of watching a coach that only wins enough to stay around another year or two. I've never seen a coach do so little with so much. We had their backs to the wall. 12 minutes left and we had the bonus. Yet we never intensified our play; never attacked. We didn't even take the lead with this advantage. More sloppy offense and terrible shooting. We have really good players, but they aren't poised. Sendy will get his contract extension for another decade and we will continue to be mediocre in the MAC.
03-03-2017 11:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.