Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where do you see Thad Matta coaching next year?
dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
Where do you see Thad Matta coaching next year?
It seems like there's enough people that want him out of Columbus, although there are others who say that Ohio State wouldn't likely be able to get a better coach, so that he might end up not being fired. Would he end up at a much smaller program, or would his ability to get to the Final Four twice get him a parallel job?
02-19-2017 01:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: Where do you see Thad Matta coaching next year?
If they get rid of him, they're dumb. You can't find a coach that good every day.
02-19-2017 02:53 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
N. C. State ?!??
02-19-2017 03:37 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Indiana?

it would serve OSU right if they fire Matta and he ends up winning titles at Indy.
02-19-2017 07:51 AM
Advertisement

Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
No where because of his back problems.
02-19-2017 08:38 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-19-2017 01:44 AM)dxdtdemon Wrote:  It seems like there's enough people that want him out of Columbus, although there are others who say that Ohio State wouldn't likely be able to get a better coach, so that he might end up not being fired. Would he end up at a much smaller program, or would his ability to get to the Final Four twice get him a parallel job?

Would this be the same Thad Matta who has been a D-I head coach for sixteen years and has never failed to win 20 games in a season? The one with a career winning percentage of 74%? That Thad Matta?

What are those people in Columbus thinking?
02-19-2017 02:24 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
If Ohio State gives Thad Marta the old heave ho, we will gladly take him. Santa Barbara is a bit more pleasant during the season than Columbus
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 02:44 PM by jdgaucho.)
02-19-2017 02:43 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-19-2017 08:38 AM)Flying Bearcat Wrote:  No where because of his back problems.

This. He will take a year or two to get healthy, maybe fill in the studio of Fox Sports from time to time-- and then come back for the right gig.
02-19-2017 07:05 PM
dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-19-2017 02:24 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(02-19-2017 01:44 AM)dxdtdemon Wrote:  It seems like there's enough people that want him out of Columbus, although there are others who say that Ohio State wouldn't likely be able to get a better coach, so that he might end up not being fired. Would he end up at a much smaller program, or would his ability to get to the Final Four twice get him a parallel job?

Would this be the same Thad Matta who has been a D-I head coach for sixteen years and has never failed to win 20 games in a season? The one with a career winning percentage of 74%? That Thad Matta?

I think Matta should stay, but it seems like the rest of the Buckeye community disagrees with me. I think that they are really displeased at how the entire group of 2015 recruits transferred either during or after the season, and that it looks like this is going to be the first losing season since 2003-04, and don't like the downward trend the program is taking. They also don't like that the only good recruit in the past six years was D'Angelo Russell, and Matta keeps losing every recruiting battle over the top in-state talent. I don't think that anyone who would come to Columbus would do a better job, however, so that why I think he should stay.

I remember when I was at Ohio State in the mid 00's, and it seemed like an overwhelming majority of fans wanted Jim Tressel fired in 2004 after going 8-4 and the whole Maurice Clarett and Troy Smith scandals. He had some fairly successful seasons after that, and hopefully this will also be true with Matta.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 12:26 AM by dxdtdemon.)
02-20-2017 12:14 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Talk about delusional.

Ohio State football = elite. blue blood. You can count their legitimate competitors on one hand.
Ohio State basketball = a good program, arguably top 20 all time. But the only time they've been the consistent top program even in their own state has been during Motta's tenure.

Let's put it this way: Michigan State football isn't going to fire Dantonio no matter how bad of a year he had in 2016. That's the situation Ohio State basketball is in now (except Dantonio had a much worse season than Motta).
02-20-2017 01:16 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-20-2017 01:16 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Talk about delusional.

Ohio State football = elite. blue blood. You can count their legitimate competitors on one hand.
Ohio State basketball = a good program, arguably top 20 all time. But the only time they've been the consistent top program even in their own state has been during Motta's tenure.

Let's put it this way: Michigan State football isn't going to fire Dantonio no matter how bad of a year he had in 2016. That's the situation Ohio State basketball is in now (except Dantonio had a much worse season than Motta).

Your typical OSU fan in Central and Northern Ohio has a much higher opinion of where OSU stands historically in BB. True Story: about 10-12 years ago I was at a seminar with one of my co-workers (OSU fan). We ran into some business associates from Lexington who were lamenting a down year for UK. He actually tried to argue OSU was an equal to the Wildcats on the hardwood historically.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 08:16 AM by CliftonAve.)
02-20-2017 08:14 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Ohio State has had only two coaches who really mattered, and Matta's one of them. It's absurd to think the guy could be getting grilled over there for a down year, but, this is Ohio State.

I find it hard to respect the program, and, perhaps Matta. With Cincinnati, Xavier, Dayton, and some of the Ohio MAC programs, it's shameful watching the program "do the dodge," and avoid its intrastate peers. Especially Xavier!

Very, very difficult to consider Ohio State as one of cbb's best programs, even if they've had good success in the Big Ten. They aren't even the best program in their own state.

Let Ohio State stumble on this one.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 09:13 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
02-20-2017 09:13 AM
dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

It appears that despite the amount of pressure that people are putting on athletic director Gene Smith to fire Matta, he's not going to do it, even after the big decline he's had the past four seasons culminating in this embarrassing loss to Rutgers tonight.
03-08-2017 10:30 PM
Advertisement

33laszlo99 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bama
(02-20-2017 12:14 AM)dxdtdemon Wrote:  
(02-19-2017 02:24 PM)ken d Wrote:  

I think Matta should stay, but it seems like the rest of the Buckeye community disagrees with me. I think that they are really displeased at how the entire group of 2015 recruits transferred either during or after the season, and that it looks like this is going to be the first losing season since 2003-04, and don't like the downward trend the program is taking. They also don't like that the only good recruit in the past six years was D'Angelo Russell, and Matta keeps losing every recruiting battle over the top in-state talent. I don't think that anyone who would come to Columbus would do a better job, however, so that why I think he should stay.

I remember when I was at Ohio State in the mid 00's, and it seemed like an overwhelming majority of fans wanted Jim Tressel fired in 2004 after going 8-4 and the whole Maurice Clarett and Troy Smith scandals. He had some fairly successful seasons after that, and hopefully this will also be true with Matta.

John Groce was responsible for all of that previous great recruiting. Maybe he's coming back to Matta's bench.
03-09-2017 12:24 AM
Chuck_A Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UIC/Missouri Valley
If they let him go (all of this is supposition right?), he could wind up at Cleveland State and back in the Horizon League where he coached Butler.
03-11-2017 03:22 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Thad, the west coast is calling. A fresh start in Santa Barbara awaits 04-rock
03-11-2017 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.