Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Baum Stadium getting grass
Bookmark and Share
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Huge renovations are underway at the Razorbacks' Baum Stadium.

First, 2 new skyboxes and 4 coaches offices are being built on the upper deck, along with foundation to add more skyboxes when needed.

Second, a brand new scoreboard will be built for the team. The scoreboard features a video screen for instant replays, and will also feature an old-time clock with two red Razorbacks on top. The brick scoreboard costs roughly over $2 million.

Third, and the biggest of all, Baum Stadium is going to grass. Using an 'egg crate' thermal system that will keep the grass alive during heavy snowfall..including February when baseball season begins, a new lawn is being created for the Diamond Hogs.

The lawn will feature the same type grass as Razorback Stadium, as well as a state-of-the-art drainage system that can instantly drain any rainfall. In short, according to coaches, 8 inches of rain could fall down in a day and the stadium, with a tarp covering the infield, would be set for play in 30 mins prep time.

Just more renovations, in short, to continue the Arkansas standard of outstanding athletic facilities.

WPS
08-07-2003 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

msudawgs64 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miss. State

good, turf on a baseball field sucks. I have heard the argument that grass fields cause more injuries than turf fields, well maybe that is so but a baseball hit off that rocket launcher called an aluminum bat has a tendency to increase in speed off that turf and is unpredictable in what the hell it is going to do. Besides, outdoor baseball stadiums should be grass. 04-cheers
08-08-2003 01:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I agree, I'm a big fan of grass over turf. The only reason turf was ever put down was for weather reasons. Fayetteville has very rainy springs, and pretty good snowfall in winter (8 snows last year), so the turf was in. Credit Dave Van Horn though for the grass. He got Nebraska to go use a thermal system to keep grass alive come winter snow, and he's doing the same here.

WPS
08-08-2003 08:58 AM
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Saw Baum Stadium today...turf is headed out 04-cheers

With grass...plus the designs of the new scoreboard...no doubt Baum will be back to the #1 ranked stadium in America...they slipped to #2 this year behind Plainsman Park at Auburn.

What I'd like to see is for them to fix up "Lake Norm" behind the fences in center and right field and put up more fountains there...that'd look really classy. Also..work more on the picnic area behind left field...more grills, tables, etc. at the back of the area..giving more space to sit and relax on the slope.

Nevertheless...props to DVH for changing to grass.

WPS
08-11-2003 04:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.