Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Mexico State's Future Point Guard
Bookmark and Share
FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
New Mexico State's Future Point Guard
NMSU loses Ian Baker at the end of this season, but will replace him with one of the highest rated recruits at this position to ever play at NMSU.

AJ Harris, four-star recruit, rated 80th overall transferred to NMSU from Ohio State last year. He will be a red-shirt sophomore next season.

NMSU will upgrade this position next season.
02-12-2017 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
RE: New Mexico State's Future Point Guard
Maybe so Frank. Maybe so.

Currently mobile....but not necessarily upwardly.
02-12-2017 06:19 PM
1st String

(02-12-2017 06:19 PM)RunnerBall Wrote:  Maybe so Frank. Maybe so.

He is a true point guard, who can score. Ian Baker can score, but isn't a true point guard.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2017 09:48 PM by FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992.)
02-12-2017 09:48 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
I'm just trying to figure out how you get to claim a sweet sixteen appearance vacated by the NCAA for violations. Like, ???
02-12-2017 10:13 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
(02-12-2017 10:13 PM)gleadley Wrote:  I'm just trying to figure out how you get to claim a sweet sixteen appearance vacated by the NCAA for violations. Like, ???

Cheating doesnt matter, apparently
02-13-2017 01:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1st String

(02-12-2017 10:13 PM)gleadley Wrote:  I'm just trying to figure out how you get to claim a sweet sixteen appearance vacated by the NCAA for violations. Like, ???

Aggie fans have the right to be proud of that NCAA Tournament run we made in 1992. It happened. I have the game uploaded to YouTube. It was a memorable year.

02-13-2017 01:44 PM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

I Root For: NMSU
(02-13-2017 01:26 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  

I am not one to condone Coach McCarthy's actions but cheating was running rampant during that era. Tarkanian was no choir boy. There were many schools implicated in the correspondence school scandal. NMSU just didn't have deep pockets (for lawyers) and name recognition to keep itself out of trouble like many of the bigger programs committing the same violations.

Anyway, back to AJ Harris. I like his potential but I wouldn't label him as NMSU's savior after Baker graduates. The pluses he brings are he is a true point guard; He is lightening quick; He is a really good ball handler; And, at 5' 9", he is a better athlete than Baker. (DUNK!) But Harris is still a sophomore. I don't think he is a better perimeter shooter then Baker. And, we still don't know Harris' leadership skills.

However, if he develops, I see him being a player very similar to DeWayne Russell. Harris will be a handful to guard. He plays low to the ground and has an extremely good handle. We will see if he makes next season's team better.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2017 01:50 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
02-13-2017 01:46 PM
1st String

(02-13-2017 01:46 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(02-13-2017 01:26 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  

I am not one to condone Coach McCarthy's actions but cheating was running rampant during that era. Tarkanian was no choir boy. There were many schools implicated in the correspondence school scandal. NMSU just didn't have deep pockets (for lawyers) and name recognition to keep itself out of trouble like many of the bigger programs committing the same violations.

Anyway, back to AJ Harris. I like his potential but I wouldn't label him as NMSU's savior after Baker graduates. The pluses he brings are he is a true point guard; He is lightening quick; He is a really good ball handler; And, at 5' 9", he is a better athlete than Baker. (DUNK!) But Harris is still a sophomore. I don't think he is a better perimeter shooter then Baker. And, we still don't know Harris' leadership skills.

However, if he develops, I see him being a player very similar to DeWayne Russell. Harris will be a handful to guard. He plays low to the ground and has an extremely good handle. We will see if he makes next season's team better.

I think DeWayne Russell is better than Ian Baker. It's just hard not to be excited about AJ. I've been hearing some good things about him. He has been able to practice with the team this off-season so I'm sure he is already working on his game.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2017 03:37 PM by FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992.)
02-13-2017 03:32 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

Baker is a very good point guard. One of the best in the WAC. But admittedly Russell is better. He is more versatile. He has way better court vision than Baker. Russell can take most defenders off the dribble and he has a quick release. Also, Russell knows when to score and when to dish. Baker is more locked in on scoring. He misses a lot of open teammates trying to play hero-ball. As a defender, I think Bakers is "marginally" better than Russell. Point blank, Russell can take over most games from beginning to end. Baker is most dangerous during crunch time. But NMSU needs to be close enough to give Baker his chance.

Getting back to AJ Harris, as I said, I think Harris is going to be similar to Russell. It will be difficult for defenders to stay in front of him. I don't know if he will shoot the three as well as Baker but I think he will reek more havoc defenses with his dribble penetration; and be a godsend for players like Eli Chuha and John Wilkins whom will be the recipient of his dishes near the rim.
02-13-2017 04:56 PM
NMSTFan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: New Mexico St

Kind of hypocritical of you don't you think? Considering your sig. However, just because it was vacated doesn't mean it never happened lol. Besides many schools have done that in the past and nobody seems to care about them.
02-13-2017 04:57 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

You're sounding more douchy every week gleadley. So your saying it never happened? Ok. Right. Also Frank, you say the same thing every year about some Aggie recruit claiming we are going to win the national championship next year because of some recruit. You were this way about Remi Berry, Jermaine Haley and now this kid. Let's focus on the incredible year we are having still even though we lost which I'm sure GCU fans will be talking about for years to come because the obsession they have with NMSU is almost clinical. We can start talking about your for profit school which many in many peoples opinion gives GCU an unfair advantage over traditional colleges and the cut throat recruiting tactics of 40+ people thinking they are going to get a degree and what is the percentage of them finishing? Almost sounds unfair. Anyway tit for tat GCU fans. Congrats on your win with the suckiest ref calls of the year (your own tv announcers said it), and your cult like environment on the GCU campus. You want to talk crap about our sweet 16 appearance I have lots of ammo in the chamber when it comes to your beloved GCU. BTW I thought Commissioner Hurd and the AD and prez of GCU were going to have a threesome right there on the sidelines. Congrats that Hurd looks at you guys as the darling$ of the WAC.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2017 05:24 PM by dancingNMSUaggie.)
02-13-2017 05:21 PM
Advertisement

gleadley Offline
1st String

(02-13-2017 05:21 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  

You're sounding more douchy every week gleadley. So your saying it never happened? Ok. Right. Also Frank, you say the same thing every year about some Aggie recruit claiming we are going to win the national championship next year because of some recruit. You were this way about Remi Berry, Jermaine Haley and now this kid. Let's focus on the incredible year we are having still even though we lost which I'm sure GCU fans will be talking about for years to come because the obsession they have with NMSU is almost clinical. We can start talking about your for profit school which many in many peoples opinion gives GCU an unfair advantage over traditional colleges and the cut throat recruiting tactics of 40+ people thinking they are going to get a degree and what is the percentage of them finishing? Almost sounds unfair. Anyway tit for tat GCU fans. Congrats on your win with the suckiest ref calls of the year (your own tv announcers said it), and your cult like environment on the GCU campus. You want to talk crap about our sweet 16 appearance I have lots of ammo in the chamber when it comes to your beloved GCU. BTW I thought Commissioner Hurd and the AD and prez of GCU were going to have a threesome right there on the sidelines. Congrats that Hurd looks at you guys as the darling$ of the WAC.

What? No complaints about the Frisbee dogs at halftime? Haha.
02-13-2017 05:57 PM
LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
Dancin, relax. No need for name calling. It doesn't become you. We are all fans here supporting our team. No need to verbally attack someone for asking a question about something that actually happened. You have attacked GCU for something that is legal and you think is an unfair advantage. I think it's funny that you continue to attack GCU based on religious affiliation. Would you call our students a "cult" if we were not a Christian University? Doubtful. I won't get into the "for profit" thing because you refuse to take the time to understand it. No worries. What's so comical is that I watched you, on numerous occasions take video of the Havocs in amazement, you even made the comment to me in person that you were impressed with the crowd. I think I even saw one of your buddies throw on a GCU shirt... Whatever. I think we are happy to have conversations about basketball and jab each other, but attacking students and our faith, to me, is below the belt. I get it, you are hot due to a huge loss by your team, two losses in a row, actually. I can't imagine how you felt during that 19-0 run to finish the game. Quit hating and just accept GCU has done a nice job in transition and enjoy the renewed excitement in the WAC. It's just a game, just basketball.

02-13-2017 06:38 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
(02-13-2017 05:57 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

What? No complaints about the Frisbee dogs at halftime? Haha.
Frisby dogs! That's it! That should be the WAC tourney halftime show!

02-13-2017 07:25 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U

If that means selling out every game and that home atmosphere they have, sign SU and Idaho both up for the "cult like environment"
02-13-2017 07:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

You're right Lopes. I'm defensive about our Sweet 16. It was great to.es, great crowds and a great team. Didn't realize u were stalking me lopes. Should have come over to say hi. My buddy is from Phoenix and was going for the lopes. Sorry about the comments. No more cult jokes. Not classy. I enjoyed myself. Even went over to Dwayne Russell s grandad to tell him I loved his sons game. However, if someone makes comments about my Aggies, Las Cruces, the claws come out. Loved the halftime show btw gleady. I
02-13-2017 07:52 PM
Advertisement

1st String

(02-13-2017 04:56 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Baker is a very good point guard. One of the best in the WAC. But admittedly Russell is better. He is more versatile. He has way better court vision than Baker. Russell can take most defenders off the dribble and he has a quick release. Also, Russell knows when to score and when to dish. Baker is more locked in on scoring. He misses a lot of open teammates trying to play hero-ball. As a defender, I think Bakers is "marginally" better than Russell. Point blank, Russell can take over most games from beginning to end. Baker is most dangerous during crunch time. But NMSU needs to be close enough to give Baker his chance.

Getting back to AJ Harris, as I said, I think Harris is going to be similar to Russell. It will be difficult for defenders to stay in front of him. I don't know if he will shoot the three as well as Baker but I think he will reek more havoc defenses with his dribble penetration; and be a godsend for players like Eli Chuha and John Wilkins whom will be the recipient of his dishes near the rim.

AJ shot 33% from 3 point range as a freshman. Ian shot 33% from 3 point range as a freshman. The difference though is AJ played his freshman year in the Big 10. He should excel at a high level playing in the WAC. I think AJ is going to be one of the better point guards in the WAC next year.
02-13-2017 08:02 PM
LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
(02-13-2017 07:52 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  You're right Lopes. I'm defensive about our Sweet 16. It was great to.es, great crowds and a great team. Didn't realize u were stalking me lopes. Should have come over to say hi. My buddy is from Phoenix and was going for the lopes. Sorry about the comments. No more cult jokes. Not classy. I enjoyed myself. Even went over to Dwayne Russell s grandad to tell him I loved his sons game. However, if someone makes comments about my Aggies, Las Cruces, the claws come out. Loved the halftime show btw gleady. I
Cool. Appreciate it. But... I did come talk to you brotha... Remember ha ha

Sent from my SM-N920T using CSNbbs mobile app
02-13-2017 08:07 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(02-13-2017 08:07 PM)LopesUp Wrote:  
(02-13-2017 07:52 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  You're right Lopes. I'm defensive about our Sweet 16. It was great to.es, great crowds and a great team. Didn't realize u were stalking me lopes. Should have come over to say hi. My buddy is from Phoenix and was going for the lopes. Sorry about the comments. No more cult jokes. Not classy. I enjoyed myself. Even went over to Dwayne Russell s grandad to tell him I loved his sons game. However, if someone makes comments about my Aggies, Las Cruces, the claws come out. Loved the halftime show btw gleady. I
Cool. Appreciate it. But... I did come talk to you brotha... Remember ha ha

Sent from my SM-N920T using CSNbbs mobile app

Too much wobblin, maybe? Hahaha
02-13-2017 09:33 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

(02-13-2017 08:02 PM)FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Wrote:  
(02-13-2017 04:56 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Baker is a very good point guard. One of the best in the WAC. But admittedly Russell is better. He is more versatile. He has way better court vision than Baker. Russell can take most defenders off the dribble and he has a quick release. Also, Russell knows when to score and when to dish. Baker is more locked in on scoring. He misses a lot of open teammates trying to play hero-ball. As a defender, I think Bakers is "marginally" better than Russell. Point blank, Russell can take over most games from beginning to end. Baker is most dangerous during crunch time. But NMSU needs to be close enough to give Baker his chance.

AJ shot 33% from 3 point range as a freshman. Ian shot 33% from 3 point range as a freshman. The difference though is AJ played his freshman year in the Big 10. He should excel at a high level playing in the WAC. I think AJ is going to be one of the better point guards in the WAC next year.

Cal State Bakersfield loses Dedrick Basile and Justin Pride. Grand Canyon loses DeWayne Russell. UM Kansas City loses LaVell Boyd. Seattle loses Brendan Westendorf. And, NMSU loses Ian Baker. Probably the best returning point guards are Utah Valley's Brandon Randolph and Cal State Bakersfield's Brent Wrapp. I think AJ Harris will be one of the better point guards in the WAC next season as well.

Looking at each WAC team...
At CSUB, Brent Wrapp will get the majority of the point guard duties next season; however Barnes does bring in a pretty good JC point guard in 5' 10" Rickey Holden (12.8 ppg, 4.8 apg, 4.7 rpg) and a prolific scoring freshman point guard in 6' 1" Jarkel Joiner. He is averaging 37.1 ppg through 27 games (so far) this season... and NMSU recruited him before he committed to CSUB. He reminds me of Jonathan Gibson.

At Chicago State, they will need to replace Clemmye Owens. 6' 3" Junior Delundre Dixon looks to be his replacement. Although Dildy is bringing in a 6' 5" point guard in freshman Simeon Henton (17 ppg, 6 apg, 5 rpg).

At Grand Canyon, Coach Majerle will have four point guards to choose from to replace Russell. 6' 2" Senior Shaq Carr is the most mature but 6' 2" Fiifi Aidoo appears to have the most upside. Also joining the team next season are 6' 7" red-shirt freshman Ibrahima Sankare and 3-star prospect 6' 2" freshman Damari Milstead (24.1 ppg, 5.0 apg, 4.2 rpg); who looks a lot like Russell in his playing style and NMSU also recruited him under Menzies.

At NMSU, the two players who appear to be the front runners for Baker's job are 6' 2" Junior (maybe Sophomore) Sidy Ndir and Ohio State transfer 5' 9" Sophomore AJ Harris. Coach Weir is also bring in 6' 3" freshman Aussie Gabe Hadley but I doubt he will see much action as a point guard in his first season. But he has pretty footwork and is highly skilled.

At Seattle, 6-foot Sophomore Morgan Means should step into Westendorf's role unless one of Dollar's two incoming freshmen surprise. Coming are 6-foot Nate Pryor (19.9 ppg, 4.6 apg, 4.8 rpg) and 6-foot Aaron Nettles.

At UM Kansas City, either 5' 8" Sophomore Xavier Bishop or 6' 1 Senior Broderick Robinson "should" take over the reins as the point. However, the dark horse might be Northern Iowa transfer 6' 1" Junior Robert Knar. Also, Coach Richardson has 6' 2" freshman DeMarco Smith (18.1 ppg, 5.6 apg, 8.1 rpg) joining the team next season.

At UT Rio Grande Valley, returning starter 6' 1" Junior Lew Stallworth is solidly the starter. Although, Coach Hill will add 5' 10" Freshman Javon Levi.

At Utah Valley, 6' 2" Senior Brandon Randolph returns to lead the Wolverines. With Young and Poydras completing their eligibility, it will be interest to see who Coach Pope brings in for the late signing period to back up Randolph.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2017 11:25 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
02-13-2017 10:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.