Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State vs. Central Michigan
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
The Golden Flashes welcome Central Michigan to the MAC Center for a noon tip on Saturday. Like Kent, Central is on a two game heater and sits at 3-4 in the conference.

The Chippewas can score. They average 88.9 points per game with some individuals who are having big seasons. Marcus Keene leads the way with a 28.9 average. The 5'9 junior transfer from Youngstown State (wait, Youngstown State?) is that nation's leading scorer. Keene put up 50 points with 10 three pointers vs. Miami of Ohio last Saturday. I am curious to see who draws the assignment and also if the hype is for real.

Keene has some help. His backcourt mate, Braylon Rayson is averaging 19.8 points per game and 6'7 freshman David DiLeo scores 10 points and grabs 5 rebounds per night. Get this, the three players mentioned above all shoot over 80% from the foul line. So does another starter, 6'4 senior Josh Kozinski.

There is one problem with Central Michigan. Defense is optional. The Chips are giving up 83 points per game.

I do not like Kent State's chances in a track meet. Eastern Michigan, one of the rare MAC teams that emphasizes defense, held Central to 67 and beat them in Ypsilanti. If KSU can bring it defensively and keep the Chips in the 70's I think the Flashes can pull their third straight. I would consider mixing things up defensively. Some pressure, some man, a bit of that 1-3-1. Keep them guessing. I'm looking forward to this one.

But please don't tell me the score I am going to have to DVR it and watch it when I get home. The game is on CBS Sports Network.

Kent State 81
Central Michigan 72
Deon Edwin's double double highlights the victory
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2017 11:07 AM by fallsdog.)
01-26-2017 11:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Old School Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Kent State vs. Central Michigan
Excelllent analysis fallsdog! You should direct all MAC pre-game communications...I see a KSU storm brewing building on the last 2 wins. I believe we have the most athletic team in the league. If our boys play team ball and are focused on the defensive end, I believe they stop the Chipps!
01-26-2017 10:00 PM
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

Just a note - B.J. Duling was tv10 Athlete of the Week for January 20th - http://www.10tv.com/article/athlete-week-bj-duling - Newark's record is 15-0
01-27-2017 07:36 AM
Old School Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-27-2017 07:36 AM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  Just a note - B.J. Duling was tv10 Athlete of the Week for January 20th - http://www.10tv.com/article/athlete-week-bj-duling - Newark's record is 15-0

Thanks for posting. Kid seems to have the right attitude as well as impressive play!
01-27-2017 08:08 AM
delflash Offline
2nd String

Newark played in my county on Tuesday, so I went to see what Mr. Duling can do. Had 31 points, with 20 in the first half. Here are some observations:

1. Has a level of agility and athleticism that we are not used to seeing at KSU in a 6'8" player. Plays strictly the 5 for his team, but my sense is he could also play 4 or 3 in college.

2. Had a breakaway dunk where it looked like his head was at rim level.

3. Very quick around the basket. Opponent was playing a zone, with about 2-3 players harassing the heck out of him when he caught the ball in the paint. Yet, he was often able to maneuver for a shot or find a teammate.

4. Good free throw shooter and unselfish teammate.

I hope it pans out. Has he signed or is he just a commit at this point?
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2017 03:03 PM by delflash.)
01-27-2017 03:02 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
He is signed and it is a good think as the B1G was beginning to pursue heavily.
01-27-2017 03:50 PM
Advertisement

delflash Offline
2nd String

That's good to hear. I mentioned B.J.'s agility and athleticism, but I what I neglected was maybe the most important- his skills. They're considerable, it appears.
01-27-2017 04:58 PM
KSU93 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent state univ
I am missing half the game. Every time Jaylen Avery shoots I close my eyes. The worst PG in the last 30 years
01-28-2017 02:13 PM
OLNWFLSH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KSU
(01-28-2017 02:13 PM)KSU93 Wrote:  I am missing half the game. Every time Jaylen Avery shoots I close my eyes. The worst PG in the last 30 years

We knew we couldn't allow them 100 points if we hoped to win. I felt last year we're in a conference where pattern offense isn't high priority and a team isn't going to win on a consistent basis without a strong three point threat - 22% & four guys combine for 0-10 won't cut it.
01-28-2017 03:18 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
(01-28-2017 02:13 PM)KSU93 Wrote:  I am missing half the game. Every time Jaylen Avery shoots I close my eyes. The worst PG in the last 30 years

Yeah, those 4 shouts he missed really killed us, huh?

I think we had drastically different takeaways from this game. I actually think Avery needs to shoot more threes. It was particularly obvious today, he always seems to look to make the extra pass which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when the ball is being swung around the perimeter and he catches it at the top with no one on him, shoot the d@mn ball kid! There were numerous times he swung it to Peterson in the corner when Peterson had a man closer to him than the closest defender to Avery. While I really like Peterson, Avery is hitting from three at a better clip. He's actually second on the team (excluding DeBerry). So Jalen, trust your shot! You have a nice shot. We need you to take it with confidence when you're open. I actually thought he played decent defense on Keene when he was on him too. I was surprised we started the game with him on Keene but the first 10 minutes was probably his Keene's quietest stretch of the night.

We lost today because we didn't bring it defensively and they knocked down shots. Also, I can't remember if it was towards the end of regulation or OT but we gave up an inexcusable offensive rebound on a huge possession. Keene stayed in one spot up top for almost the whole shot clock then took a 3 and somehow we let one of their bigs slip inside us for the put back. There was literally no movement on the play. I didn't see who was to blame, but it's inexcusable to let your man get the inside position when everyone is standing and staring at the same guy in the same spot for 25 seconds.
01-28-2017 04:17 PM
cleveland Online
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(01-28-2017 04:17 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  

I think we had drastically different takeaways from this game. I actually think Avery needs to shoot more threes. It was particularly obvious today, he always seems to look to make the extra pass which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when the ball is being swung around the perimeter and he catches it at the top with no one on him, shoot the d@mn ball kid! There were numerous times he swung it to Peterson in the corner when Peterson had a man closer to him than the closest defender to Avery. While I really like Peterson, Avery is hitting from three at a better clip. He's actually second on the team (excluding DeBerry). So Jalen, trust your shot! You have a nice shot. We need you to take it with confidence when you're open. I actually thought he played decent defense on Keene when he was on him too. I was surprised we started the game with him on Keene but the first 10 minutes was probably his Keene's quietest stretch of the night.

We lost today because we didn't bring it defensively and they knocked down shots. Also, I can't remember if it was towards the end of regulation or OT but we gave up an inexcusable offensive rebound on a huge possession. Keene stayed in one spot up top for almost the whole shot clock then took a 3 and somehow we let one of their bigs slip inside us for the put back. There was literally no movement on the play. I didn't see who was to blame, but it's inexcusable to let your man get the inside position when everyone is standing and staring at the same guy in the same spot for 25 seconds.

Just looked at the box score ... 36 3-pointers!!! Even on a hot night that's waaaay too many for this Kent team.

And they still outscored them in the paint ... got to know where the bread is buttered ...
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2017 05:46 PM by cleveland.)
01-28-2017 05:46 PM
Advertisement

KSU93 Offline
2nd String

I have seen him shoot air balls on wide open threes. He's open because the opposition is begging him to shoot. He goes to the rim with the game on the line and shoots an airball. We got "lucky" with that rebound. Allegedly we have PG's coming in but in a league dominated by guards we are woeful at that spot
01-28-2017 05:57 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-28-2017 05:46 PM)cleveland Wrote:  

Just looked at the box score ... 36 3-pointers!!! Even on a hot night that's waaaay too many for this Kent team.

And they still outscored them in the paint ... got to know where the bread is buttered ...

They were trying to out score them and when CMU got hot in the OT it ended poorly. This type of loss doesn't bother me like those early conference losses. They played hard and just came up short.
01-28-2017 06:15 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

(01-28-2017 05:57 PM)KSU93 Wrote:  I have seen him shoot air balls on wide open threes. He's open because the opposition is begging him to shoot. He goes to the rim with the game on the line and shoots an airball. We got "lucky" with that rebound. Allegedly we have PG's coming in but in a league dominated by guards we are woeful at that spot

So you either missed or chose to ignore the part where I said he has the second best 3pt % on the team? He's at 36.4% right now which is very respectable. Walker is at 33.8% but I doubt anyone would question him taking an open three. Peterson who he defered to multiple times today is 32.2%.

I highly doubt any team is intentionally leaving a 36.4% three point shooter open...
01-29-2017 12:58 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Agreed that 36 three attempts is a lot for this team but in fairness, 7 of them came in OT after CMU went off and we were trying to catch up. So it's not quite as bad as it looks.
01-29-2017 01:03 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

I got to watch it around dinner time last night (managed to stay off my phone to check the score all day). The pace of the game surely favored the Central Michigan. Kent State doesn't have the backcourt to win a game like that against a team with superior talent. As this season unfolds I am starting to see why people praise Jimmy Hall for staying for his senior season. He could be an impact player at many other places across the nation.

My least favorite play of the game happened late in the second half. DLR grabs what appears to be an offensive rebound and is set up for put back. All of a sudden the ball is ripped away from him as is a chance for an easy two. I would have to go back and find out exactly when it happened but that would mean watching this one again.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2017 08:41 AM by fallsdog.)
01-29-2017 08:31 AM
Advertisement

KSU93 Offline
2nd String

In fairness Avery should only be playing ten minutes a game. Kellon leaving really hurt us. 4pts and 2 assists a game is not good for starting pg. they leave him open.
01-29-2017 08:43 AM
Old School Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

While I understand that surrendering 100+ pts is ultimately what cost us the game, on the offensive end I agree completely with Cleveland! In addition to way too many 3's taken, some of the players taking them makes no sense...Unless the shot clock is down to 3-4 why would Ridenour (22% on the year) or Pippen (28%) ever launch a 3? I am "Old School" but if the coaches tell them "NO" how does it get to "YES?" Launching these quick 3's also allowed CMU more time to launch more 3's of their own.

Also, exploiting match-ups is a part of coaching and the 5'9" Keene guarded the 6'5" Petersen most of the time that Mitch was in the game. Why not run a few post-ups to Petersen? Eventually CMU reacts with a double team (or puts a taller player on Petersen). Either way it likely opens things up offensively for us. I'm no coach but would appreciate someone who is more basketball savvy than me to explain this to me...
01-29-2017 01:55 PM
cleveland Online
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(01-29-2017 08:43 AM)KSU93 Wrote:  In fairness Avery should only be playing ten minutes a game. Kellon leaving really hurt us. 4pts and 2 assists a game is not good for starting pg. they leave him open.

True on Kellen ... who is having a woeful season as well where he's at ... there's a lesson in this for any player who wants to take note, but I digress ...

I said it before re: Avery/Zabo ... they don't have to score a lot of points ... but they do have to hit 'daggers' ... to that point, I think Avery has a far better chance of doing that over the long haul than Zabo, although Zabo has had some highlight games (for him) to his credit.

Avery seems to have a much better handle on directing the team, too ...

Also ... as noted above ... Kent is a power/post up basketball team ... Hall is not the only guy who can work on the block ... Not only Peterson should get post-up plays, but Ridenour too ... The plays they run on the block for Edwin should be run for them as well ... and perhaps to a lesser degree, plays on the block for JH should be run once in awhile for Pippen ... at this point, he won't be double-teamed, either.

Once again, he's a sophomore, DLR is a sophomore, JWalker is a sophomore ... Peterson is a freshman, Pippen is a freshman, AWalker is a freshman ... that's six of the eight/nine guys seeing the bulk of the minutes for Kent ...

Hall is going to be a loss, but ...

I would bet -- if not this year certainly next ... this is going to be a very very good basketball team, and that doesn't count the talent coming in.

Also, as noted above, ... run a few post-ups for Peterson and Ridenour ... and maybe Pippen, too.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2017 02:08 PM by cleveland.)
01-29-2017 02:02 PM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES

+1 we shot 26-40 on 2's. we fell into playing CMU's game and that is not our strength.
01-29-2017 02:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.