Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DJT to cancel Visa Waiver Program
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
https://www.scribd.com/document/33754570...from_embed

This is what is will reportedly be DJT's executive order.

I'll ignore the parts of it relating to Muslim migration for purposes of this thread.

It appears that this means EVERY foreigner must get a visa to come to the USA and that they must have an IN PERSON interview.

This, if enacted will cause MASSIVE dislocations for our economy.

Here's what will happen

1) States like Florida will be have massive reductions in tourism receipts
2) Hospitals will end up with fewer patients (although I personally would love for hospitals that really exist to treat foreigners go out of business)
3) This will probably end up killing off a few American flagged airlines.
4) Hotels, restaurants, etc. will be devastated by this.
5) Our future economic prospects will be harmed as immigrants will simply start the college careers elsewhere - and likely contribute to those economies

And no, Americans who travel overseas aren't going to substitute a trip to Paris with a trip to Fort Myers. Just not going to happen. Nor is bubba going to go to San Diego instead of Cancun. The smart foreign countries will be smart about it and just let us keep coming, without a visa.

---

I promise you, adding 160 bucks plus the time needed for an in person interview to travel to the US will deter a LOT of people from bothering. The cost is bad, the in person interview is worse. Many people don't live near a US consulate. And they don't grant interviews on weekends. And can you imagine the lines involved? People will hear about the lines and not even bother. And since everyone planning on travelling to the USA will need an interview, everyone in the USA will hit those visa lines.....all at once.
---

This could cost hundreds of thousands of jobs, directly.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 05:15 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-25-2017 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: DJT to cancel Visa Waiver Program
(01-25-2017 05:13 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  It appears that this means EVERY foreigner must get a visa to come to the USA and that they must have an IN PERSON interview.

pg4

Suspension of Issuance of Visas and Other Immigration Benefits to Nationals of Countries of Particular Concern. (emp mine)

03-lmfao
01-25-2017 05:18 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2017 05:18 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(01-25-2017 05:13 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  It appears that this means EVERY foreigner must get a visa to come to the USA and that they must have an IN PERSON interview.

pg4

Suspension of Issuance of Visas and Other Immigration Benefits to Nationals of Countries of Particular Concern. (emp mine)

03-lmfao

Does Section 9 just refer to countries of particular concern? It looks as if the section you are referring to is separate, and refers to suspending ALL visas for persons from those countries. We shall see.

---

Would you see the suspension of the VWP as a bad thing?
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 05:37 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-25-2017 05:35 PM
hoopfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: hoops
UNTIL WE FIND OUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!
01-25-2017 05:36 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2017 05:36 PM)hoopfan Wrote:  UNTIL WE FIND OUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!

Ok, so I guess we can just bury all 4 legacy airlines, throw thousands of Americans out of work, bankrupt a few hospitals, etc.

What the 'hell is going on' is that we have too easy access to mass killing machines (firearms that can kill 40 people a minute).
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 05:41 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-25-2017 05:40 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I see the law like this and I am reading from the perspective of someone who has help draft laws (but only at State level)

*Section 3 will ID countries of concern. This has to happen within 60 days

*Section 4 talk about "uniform screening standards" that can include "such as in-person interview." In writing a law, "such-as" is important.

*Section 9 puts a stop to immigration without an interview until Section 3 is complete

*Once section 3 is complete, Section 9 will only apply to those countries of concern, using Section 4 to have in-person interviews.

All other countries will probably go back to the Visa Waiver Program.

(I would of course prefer laws be written in more plain language.)
01-25-2017 05:42 PM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Your hysteria is becoming hysterical.

You don't think someone has already thought of these possible things?

And made provisions to avoid exactly what you think may happen?

Dude.
01-25-2017 05:45 PM
hoopfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: hoops
(01-25-2017 05:40 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(01-25-2017 05:36 PM)hoopfan Wrote:  UNTIL WE FIND OUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!

Ok, so I guess we can just bury all 4 legacy airlines, throw thousands of Americans out of work, bankrupt a few hospitals, etc.

What the 'hell is going on' is that we have too easy access to mass killing machines (firearms that can kill 40 people a minute).

Come on henny penny, have you not realized every one of your doom and gloom responses about Trump turn out the exact opposite?
01-25-2017 05:46 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(01-25-2017 05:13 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  https://www.scribd.com/document/33754570...from_embed

I'll ignore the parts of it relating to Muslim migration for purposes of this thread.

It appears that this means EVERY foreigner must get a visa to come to the USA and that they must have an IN PERSON interview.

Here's what will happen

2) Hospitals will end up with fewer patients (although I personally would love for hospitals that really exist to treat foreigners go out of business)
5) Our future economic prospects will be harmed as immigrants will simply start the college careers elsewhere - and likely contribute to those economies

And no, Americans who travel overseas aren't going to substitute a trip to Paris with a trip to Fort Myers. Just not going to happen. Nor is bubba going to go to San Diego instead of Cancun. The smart foreign countries will be smart about it and just let us keep coming, without a visa.

---

I promise you, adding 160 bucks plus the time needed for an in person interview to travel to the US will deter a LOT of people from bothering. The cost is bad, the in person interview is worse. Many people don't live near a US consulate. And they don't grant interviews on weekends. And can you imagine the lines involved? People will hear about the lines and not even bother. And since everyone planning on travelling to the USA will need an interview, everyone in the USA will hit those visa lines.....all at once.
---

I'm really impressed with your ability to do this:
[Image: JXwSIiY.gif]

while simultaneously doing this:

[Image: X9vVUUI.jpg]

It's an impressive feat. Bravo!
01-25-2017 05:53 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2017 05:53 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(01-25-2017 05:13 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  https://www.scribd.com/document/33754570...from_embed

Here's what will happen

---

---

https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/repor...ca2015.pdf

78 Million International Arrivals spent 150 Billion dollars in 2015. 20% of every tourism related dollar was spent by an overseas visitor.

And those are just direct impacts, and just those that impact the tourism, rather than medical, educational, or other sectors of the economy.

Again, we shall see what he really means by Section 9 of the order. But if he's going to shut it all down for 90 days while he sorts it out, it will damage the economy.
01-25-2017 06:25 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-25-2017 05:46 PM)hoopfan Wrote:  
(01-25-2017 05:40 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Come on henny penny, have you not realized every one of your doom and gloom responses about Trump turn out the exact opposite?

Haha!!!! Henny Penny - a new moniker is born!!
01-25-2017 06:30 PM
Advertisement

2-Hood-Rich Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
sounds good. more winning.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
01-25-2017 06:33 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(01-25-2017 06:25 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Here's what will happen

---

---

78 Million International Arrivals spent 150 Billion dollars in 2015. 20% of every tourism related dollar was spent by an overseas visitor.

And those are just direct impacts, and just those that impact the tourism, rather than medical, educational, or other sectors of the economy.

Again, we shall see what he really means by Section 9 of the order. But if he's going to shut it all down for 90 days while he sorts it out, it will damage the economy.

Glad to know that you came more about money than you do about lives... 07-coffee3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-25-2017 06:33 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2017 06:33 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

Here's what will happen

---

---

Glad to know that you came more about money than you do about lives... 07-coffee3

Lives? Please, I care about lives, thats why I support an end to the proliferation of weapons that can kill 40 people a minute.
01-25-2017 06:46 PM
Kaplony Offline

(01-25-2017 06:46 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Here's what will happen

---

---

Lives? Please, I care about lives, thats why I support an end to the proliferation of weapons that can kill 40 people a minute.

03-lmfao

Like what? Name these weapons you oppose.

This should be REALLY good.
01-25-2017 06:58 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2017 06:58 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(01-25-2017 05:53 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I'm really impressed with your ability to do this:

03-lmfao

Any weapon that can kill 40 persons per minute. Not playing that game. I could care less what you call it, but what it can do.
01-25-2017 07:04 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(01-25-2017 07:04 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(01-25-2017 06:25 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/repor...ca2015.pdf

03-lmfao

Any weapon that can kill 40 persons per minute. Not playing that game. I could care less what you call it, but what it can do.

So you oppose cargo trucks?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36801671

And I don't blame you. After seeing Fit having his ass drug pillar to post today over ignorant statements if I were you and had no clue what I was talking about I wouldn't go down that road either.
01-25-2017 07:14 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(01-25-2017 07:04 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(01-25-2017 06:25 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/repor...ca2015.pdf

03-lmfao

That could be done with a pistol. 2 20ish round clips could be unloaded in about that time.
01-25-2017 07:19 PM
appst89 Offline
Herding Cats

I Root For: Appalachian St.

Here's what will happen

---

---

Let's look again at your stellar record of predictions over the last several months.

Yeah, not concerned about any of this.

The next time you are right will be the first time.
01-25-2017 07:43 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2017 07:43 PM)appst89 Wrote:  

Here's what will happen

---

---

Let's look again at your stellar record of predictions over the last several months.

Yeah, not concerned about any of this.

The next time you are right will be the first time.

So you'd be opposed to DJT cancelling the VWP?
01-25-2017 07:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.