ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What does everyone think
Old Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
What does everyone think
Does Bryant Stith have what it takes to one day become a division 1 head coach?

Pros:
  1. He has NBA experience
  2. He is young and probably more in touch with the players
  3. he has head coaching experience, albeit at the high school level
Plus, and I hesitate at bringing this up, his race puts him more in touch with todays college players. I don't know if he would ever be a coach for ODU, (I don't think he would step on JJ's toes). But you never know.
01-15-2017 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blewbyu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu
RE: What does everyone think
(01-15-2017 08:57 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  Does Bryant Stith have what it takes to one day become a division 1 head coach?

Pros:
  1. He has NBA experience
Plus, and I hesitate at bringing this up, his race puts him more in touch with todays college players. I don't know if he would ever be a coach for ODU, (I don't think he would step on JJ's toes). But you never know.

Honestly..... no, he is not ready for a head coaching job at this time!!!
01-15-2017 10:00 AM
ODU FrontRunner Offline
2nd String

I was pulling for Stith to get the job a long time ago. I am sure he would be a better recruiter than JJ. He could be a head coach with ease if he had a well seasoned assistant coach or two. Bryant Stith is the best thing we have going for us on MBB. Can some one explain why we have three (Vassor, Taylor and Baker) offensive liabilities in the game at the same time and we are surprised we are a bad offensive team. I don't think Baker should be on the court with the other two if Haynes is on the bench.

Both of our BB programs have slipped. KB is not getting it done on the women's side. She is struggling to stay 500.
01-15-2017 10:50 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2017 08:57 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  Does Bryant Stith have what it takes to one day become a division 1 head coach?

Pros:
  1. He has NBA experience
If we were looking for a new coach, I would NOT want anyone on the current staff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
01-15-2017 11:20 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
I will keep this simple:
Coaching, Basketball knowledge, Scouting, and player connection - Yes
Managing an organization, University and Alumni relations - growth opportununity
01-15-2017 01:23 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(01-15-2017 11:20 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Pros:
  1. He has NBA experience
If we were looking for a new coach, I would NOT want anyone on the current staff.

Ditto this. Men's or women's.
01-15-2017 01:53 PM
Advertisement

Old Blue Offline
1st String

Would it be any different than Mark Price for Charlotte? I think the only difference would be Price had managerial experience at the NBA level, but no coaching experience. I wonder what type of players Price has been able to recruit to Charlotte since he took the job? There is something to be said "having an ex nba player as your coach".
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2017 01:59 PM by Old Blue.)
01-15-2017 01:56 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Price ain't exactly killin' it so far either. Neither is Chris Mullins.

01-15-2017 02:04 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(01-15-2017 02:04 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Price ain't exactly killin' it so far either. Neither is Chris Mullins.

But aren't both brand new to their jobs? And isn't it true that both have 0 coaching experience. Not to say Stith has much, but he coached a state championship high school team and I believe that he is an associate head coach on this team, although I could be wrong about that. The question was what type of player was Mark Price getting and as far as recruiting was he doing better than JJ.
01-15-2017 02:13 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

As painful as it was to watch the La. Tech game I'm willing to give the coaches one more year and see how Green pans out as well as the two shooting guards coming in. Most likely an improved Caver and Talley with another year.
01-15-2017 03:04 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(01-15-2017 03:04 PM)odu83alumni Wrote:  As painful as it was to watch the La. Tech game I'm willing to give the coaches one more year and see how Green pans out as well as the two shooting guards coming in. Most likely an improved Caver and Talley with another year.

I've always been of the opinion....Never count on Freshmen for anything. If I had my way every incoming high school player would automatically red shirt. But that's just my opinion.
01-15-2017 03:41 PM
Advertisement

elon77 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu and elon
(01-15-2017 10:50 AM)ODU FrontRunner Wrote:  I was pulling for Stith to get the job a long time ago. I am sure he would be a better recruiter than JJ. He could be a head coach with ease if he had a well seasoned assistant coach or two. Bryant Stith is the best thing we have going for us on MBB. Can some one explain why we have three (Vassor, Taylor and Baker) offensive liabilities in the game at the same time and we are surprised we are a bad offensive team. I don't think Baker should be on the court with the other two if Haynes is on the bench.

Both of our BB programs have slipped. KB is not getting it done on the women's side. She is struggling to stay 500.
Not sure how you can say the MBB program has slipped. I remember sitting thru the 5 win season, and that hasn't been to long ago.
01-15-2017 04:02 PM
ODU FrontRunner Offline
2nd String

(01-15-2017 04:02 PM)elon77 Wrote:  
(01-15-2017 10:50 AM)ODU FrontRunner Wrote:  I was pulling for Stith to get the job a long time ago. I am sure he would be a better recruiter than JJ. He could be a head coach with ease if he had a well seasoned assistant coach or two. Bryant Stith is the best thing we have going for us on MBB. Can some one explain why we have three (Vassor, Taylor and Baker) offensive liabilities in the game at the same time and we are surprised we are a bad offensive team. I don't think Baker should be on the court with the other two if Haynes is on the bench.

Not sure how you can say the MBB program has slipped. I remember sitting thru the 5 win season, and that hasn't been to long ago.
The 5 win season was an outlier. It has slipped in terms of we haven't been to the NCAA in quite some time. Iy combine the JJ years and last few years of BT you would see what I mean.
01-15-2017 04:22 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2017 02:04 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Price ain't exactly killin' it so far either. Neither is Chris Mullins.

Mullins is starting to show signs at St. John's. They killed Syracuse, beat Butler and just gave Villanova a pretty good run. They'll be lucky to finish .500 overall this season but I think their trend line is strongly up.
01-15-2017 04:29 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(01-15-2017 04:29 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Mullins is starting to show signs at St. John's. They killed Syracuse, beat Butler and just gave Villanova a pretty good run. They'll be lucky to finish .500 overall this season but I think their trend line is strongly up.

Wow who knows, maybe that turns out to be our best OOC win of the year. Go SJU!!!
01-15-2017 04:40 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

(01-15-2017 03:41 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  
(01-15-2017 03:04 PM)odu83alumni Wrote:  As painful as it was to watch the La. Tech game I'm willing to give the coaches one more year and see how Green pans out as well as the two shooting guards coming in. Most likely an improved Caver and Talley with another year.

I've always been of the opinion....Never count on Freshmen for anything. If I had my way every incoming high school player would automatically red shirt. But that's just my opinion.

You would miss out on some kids that are ready to play.
01-15-2017 05:00 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

None of us have any clue on how Stith would do.
01-15-2017 05:17 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2017 02:13 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  

But aren't both brand new to their jobs? And isn't it true that both have 0 coaching experience. Not to say Stith has much, but he coached a state championship high school team and I believe that he is an associate head coach on this team, although I could be wrong about that. The question was what type of player was Mark Price getting and as far as recruiting was he doing better than JJ.
Honestly, my objection to Stith isn't really due to his lack of on the job experience. He just doesn't strike me as the guy. I have no hard reasons for that, nor any inside info that informs this opinion. It is just the way things appear to me, so I could absolutely be wrong.

01-15-2017 05:45 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

That was one season. One. Just one.

01-15-2017 05:46 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2017 05:46 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

That was one season. One. Just one.

I've already stated this til I'm blue in the face. Jones inherited an all American in Freeman who came in for family illness reasons, a solid guard in bacote, Ross and painter. The cupboard was hardly bare, we just had a piss drunk coach who couldn't care less.

We also lost 10 games by 7 or less points that year and something like 15 games by single digits.

To act like jones was some savior is insane, he took a mediocre team with a huge coaching deficiency and went .500 the next year.

The only really solid job that he's done, at least in my opinion, was the following year. We've regressed two years in a row since that season. Not what you want in year 4.
01-15-2017 10:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.