Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Buzzfeed’s Trump report takes ‘fake news’ to a new level
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Buzzfeed’s Trump report takes ‘fake news’ to a new level
Sorry Tommy boy, you have been had. What a joke...

Quote:So the website BuzzFeed decided to publish a series of memos that have been floating around for months alleging all kinds of terrible things about Donald Trump.

Some of those terrible allegations have to do with efforts to influence the American elections and Trump. Some of them have to do with Trump’s personal sexual conduct.

Readers of this newspaper know well not to include me among Trump’s supporters. But the scurrilousness of what BuzzFeed has done here is so beyond the bounds of what is even remotely acceptable it should compel even those most outraged by Trump’s political excesses to come to his defense and to the defense of a few other people mentioned in these papers whose names are also dragged through the mud.

There is literally no evidence on offer in these memos or from BuzzFeed that any single sentence in these documents is factual or true. What’s more, we know most major news organizations in America had seen them and despite their well-known institutional antipathy toward Trump, had chosen not to publish them or even make reference to them after efforts to substantiate their charges had failed.

Trump blasts BuzzFeed as 'failing pile of garbage'
BuzzFeed tells us that “the document was prepared for political opponents of Trump by a person who is understood to be a former British intelligence agent.” Indeed, the memos are designed to read as though they were cables sent from the field to the home office. And they should set off the bull detector of every rational person who reads them.

I’ve been a newspaper and magazine editor for 31 years, and like many in my profession, have had occasion over the course of four decades to work with people linked to intelligence agencies both domestic and foreign when they are retailing stories injurious to one or another politician or cause.

In my experience, there is no source of whom you need to be more skeptical, and whose information you need to verify to the letter before you can even begin to think of publishing it, than an “intelligence” source.

The telling indicator is that every factoid such a source produces is given equal weight with every other one. Chances are some percentage of those factoids is actual fact, but it could be 10 percent or it could be 90 or any number in between.

Since the person retailing the factoids has an agenda, as BuzzFeed acknowledges here, he has at the very least a bias toward believing every piece of anti-Trump detail he puts down on paper—and at worst a desire to throw every single rumor he can collect (or generate out of his own fevered imaginings) at the wall to see which ones might stick.

At a moment when journalists are up in arms about “fake news,” what BuzzFeed has done here is take fake news to a new level. Its editor, Ben Smith, acknowledges “there is serious reason to doubt the allegations.” In other words, there is almost certainly fake news inside these memos, and it might all be fake, or some parts of it might be true but buried so deeply under falsity that it would be impossible to separate it out.

“Publishing this dossier reflects how we see the job of reporters in 2017,” Smith writes. This is an amazing thing to say, because if you think it through, it means publishing open libels and slanders is the job of reporters in 2017.

“Fake news will become more sophisticated, and fake, ambiguous, and spun-up stories will spread widely,” warned an important American editor at the end of December 2016. His name: Ben Smith. His publication: BuzzFeed.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/10/buzzfeeds-t...new-level/
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 07:07 PM by usmbacker.)
01-11-2017 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Buzzfeed’s Trump report takes ‘fake news’ to a new level
If this is indeed a purely made-up news item, I would sincerely hope that the partisan irresponsibility in releasing it is fully punished by the Trump Administration on both BuzzFeed and CNN.

What sanctions or punishments could they be facing?
01-11-2017 07:08 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-11-2017 07:08 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  If this is indeed a purely made-up news item, I would sincerely hope that the partisan irresponsibility in releasing it is fully punished by the Trump Administration on both BuzzFeed and CNN.

What sanctions or punishments could they be facing?

CNN's reporter caught hell from Trump today at his news conference today over this. It was just awesome. Finally someone that will put this liberal MSM in its place. Just f'n awesome.
01-11-2017 07:14 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I saw that, and it was well-deserved, even if a little "unpresidential". My question is more about legal ramifications. However, I keenly understand that Trump and his advisors now have a very public talking point to play against CNN whenever they so choose. I guess that alone makes it significant.
01-11-2017 07:20 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Buzzfeed should stick to quizzes.
01-11-2017 07:24 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
I read both Fox and CNN and both are guilty of it at times, but I think it's funny how CNN responds to Trump's accusation of false news reporting by stating how they use careful sources before posting news articles. This is after they linked directly to the buzzfeed trash right in the middle of their story earlier today. What is the line between credibly sourced articles and tabloid journalism? A link?
01-11-2017 08:22 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
I'm good with Buzzfeed and CNN.

Trump keeps acting like he's compromised by Russia.

He can release his tax returns, his full financial disclosures, and he stops slobbing the knob of a war criminal like Vladimir Putin.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 08:33 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-11-2017 08:31 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-11-2017 08:31 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I'm good with Buzzfeed and CNN.

He can release his tax returns, his full financial disclosures, and he stops slobbing the knob of a war criminal like Vladimir Putin.

You bought the fake news hook, line and sinker. You got played like a fool. Jan 20 is coming soon. Your whining, crying and nervous breakdown is pure entertainment. Keep it going.
01-11-2017 08:35 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-11-2017 08:31 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Trump keeps acting like he's compromised by Russia.

Exactly what is he doing that supports this?
01-11-2017 08:37 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-11-2017 08:35 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  

You bought the fake news hook, line and sinker. You got played like a fool. Jan 20 is coming soon. Your whining, crying and nervous breakdown is pure entertainment. Keep it going.

I'm good...this is actually entertaining. Maybe Rexy's nomination will go up in flames over Russian ties. Of course Trump won't pull him.. because Rex is Putin's pick.

Its kind of fun to watch people joke about R Kelley being the inauguration entertainment or jingles like "Tinkle, tinkle, little tsar, Putin put you where you are".

Either way, I see absolutely no reason for any American President to surround himself, almost exclusively with Russian hacks. I see no reason why the USA should give up our geo-strategic position in Europe, for Putin's benefit, other than to help Putin. I see no reason why we should remove sanctions from Russia or not continue to enforce them. And its pretty clear at this point that the DJT campaign was aided by Putin as well.

I remain confident that Trump is compromised. That isn't entertaining.
01-11-2017 08:40 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-11-2017 08:40 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 08:35 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  

I'm good...this is actually entertaining. Maybe Rexy's nomination will go up in flames over Russian ties. Of course Trump won't pull him.. because Rex is Putin's pick.

Its kind of fun to watch people joke about R Kelley being the inauguration entertainment or jingles like "Tinkle, tinkle, little tsar, Putin put you where you are".

Either way, I see absolutely no reason for any American President to surround himself, almost exclusively with Russian hacks. I see no reason why the USA should give up our geo-strategic position in Europe, for Putin's benefit, other than to help Putin. I see no reason why we should remove sanctions from Russia or not continue to enforce them. And its pretty clear at this point that the DJT campaign was aided by Putin as well.

Oh, believe me. You are pure entertainment with your constant posts whining and crying about our new President. Like I said. Keep them coming.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 08:43 PM by usmbacker.)
01-11-2017 08:42 PM
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

You remain confident that there is some grand conspiracy singling out the alphabet soup gang of miscreants to deny them basic Constitutional rights, as well, and have spent 69 pages in a failed attempt to sway a single opinion to your madness. I don't care what you think, but I sure as hell enjoy watching you meltdown when you feel the sky is falling.
01-11-2017 08:44 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-11-2017 08:40 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I'm good...this is actually entertaining. Maybe Rexy's nomination will go up in flames over Russian ties. Of course Trump won't pull him.. because Rex is Putin's pick.

Of course, you have zero facts to support your rants. But rant on.
01-11-2017 08:46 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(01-11-2017 08:44 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  You remain confident that there is some grand conspiracy singling out the alphabet soup gang of miscreants to deny them basic Constitutional rights, as well, and have spent 69 pages in a failed attempt to sway a single opinion to your madness. I don't care what you think, but I sure as hell enjoy watching you meltdown when you feel the sky is falling.

He's doing the exact same thing the MSM did in the election. People got tired of all the lies and were swayed to Trump
01-11-2017 08:48 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The whole thing is Trump and his folks playing 5D chess.

He's growing stronger by the minute and he has overwhelming support throughout the majority of the nation.
01-11-2017 09:07 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-11-2017 08:44 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  You remain confident that there is some grand conspiracy singling out the alphabet soup gang of miscreants to deny them basic Constitutional rights, as well, and have spent 69 pages in a failed attempt to sway a single opinion to your madness. I don't care what you think, but I sure as hell enjoy watching you meltdown when you feel the sky is falling.

ODU, your respect for the LGBT community (or as you call them - miscreants and alphabet soup).....speaks for itself.
01-11-2017 09:22 PM
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

Now that has me "triggered". Think I'll start a 70-page thread and ramble incoherently for days about an issue that exists only in my mind.
01-11-2017 09:25 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-11-2017 08:46 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 08:40 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I'm good...this is actually entertaining. Maybe Rexy's nomination will go up in flames over Russian ties. Of course Trump won't pull him.. because Rex is Putin's pick.

Of course, you have zero facts to support your rants. But rant on.

DJT's appointment of multiple Russian tied sycopants, his slavish devotion to Putin, the fact that Putin intervened in the US election on DJT's behalf....any of that 'fake news'?

And we have no idea how much DJT is receiving or has received from the Russians. Because DJT, alone among major politicians, won't release his tax returns (even though DJT said repeatedly that he would) or his detailed financial records.
01-11-2017 09:26 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-11-2017 09:25 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  Now that has me "triggered". Think I'll start a 70-page thread and ramble incoherently for days about an issue that exists only in my mind.

If no one cares and no one thinks like I do.

LOL...I suppose the NBA All Star game was only removed from North Carolina in my mind....
01-11-2017 09:28 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Then move to Nort Carolini.They got your back.
01-11-2017 09:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.