Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Evangelical - David Barton aligned "college" in major bribery scheme
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Evangelical - David Barton aligned "college" in major bribery scheme
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/warrenthroc...ry-scheme/

Apparently, they (via a paid consultant) paid a state legislator to get taxpayer funding. The school does NOT hire non-Christians or LGBT persons, or even non-evangelical Christians. Actually it won't even allow kids to attend or remain if they aren't Christian (as narrowly defined by Ecclesia) Why would a school not open to all taxpayers receive taxpayer funding anyway?

For the record Ecclesia denies wrongdoing....I don't see how they can credibly do so. They maintain they hired someone to help them get TAXPAYER funding for their school that clearly and openly discriminates, who decided, on their own to pay massive amounts of money to get taxpayer grants. I find that story not credible, because the fees they'd have to pay to justify those massive payments would be ridiculously high.

I'd expect this from a school with "The David Barton School of Political Science"

Jack Abramoff anyone?
01-09-2017 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Evangelical - David Barton aligned "college" in major bribery scheme
(01-09-2017 12:11 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/warrenthroc...ry-scheme/

Apparently, they (via a paid consultant) paid a state legislator to get taxpayer funding.

Let them suffer the consequences... But, ftr, the fact they are evangelical is zero to do with this problem.

Quote:For the record Ecclesia denies wrongdoing....I don't see how they can credibly do so.

Let all the details come back out.

Quote:They maintain they hired someone to help them get TAXPAYER funding for their school that clearly and openly discriminates, who decided, on their own to pay massive amounts of money to get taxpayer grants.

So you're problem is you view this though a lens where this group hiring someone to get tax payer money is somehow more wrong than planned parenthood doing it.
01-09-2017 12:20 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
David Barton?

Need we say more?
01-09-2017 12:44 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2017 12:20 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 12:11 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/warrenthroc...ry-scheme/

Apparently, they (via a paid consultant) paid a state legislator to get taxpayer funding.

Let them suffer the consequences... But, ftr, the fact they are evangelical is zero to do with this problem.

Quote:For the record Ecclesia denies wrongdoing....I don't see how they can credibly do so.

Quote:They maintain they hired someone to help them get TAXPAYER funding for their school that clearly and openly discriminates, who decided, on their own to pay massive amounts of money to get taxpayer grants.

So you're problem is you view this though a lens where this group hiring someone to get tax payer money is somehow more wrong than planned parenthood doing it.

Evangelicals CAN work at Planned Parenthood. I'll bet they'd even agree to put them in their 1000 programs completely unrelated to reproductive health. Evangelicals CAN and DO receive treatment there too.

Its not the same...
01-09-2017 12:49 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

I disagree. If they weren't evangelical, Tom wouldn't care.

Quote:

Charles Manson was allowed a defense.

Quote:

Sounds like IF it's a problem (and it easily may not be) then it's a legislative one, not one for the school.

Planned Parenthood gets lots of public funds because those funds are allocated to 'specific' events and actions that are of a public nature... even though they discriminate in other 'private' aspects. Schools can do the same thing... i.e. teaching reading and math IS a public good.
01-09-2017 01:10 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(01-09-2017 12:49 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Evangelicals CAN work at Planned Parenthood.

Not my point Tom.... If were going to give charities tax money it should be based on how well and efficiently they provide the service, not on their hiring practices.

And you're claiming the high moral ground on tolerance is hilarious given the lefts desire to do things, like, force all doctors to perform abortions, or all pharmacists to fill scripts for plan B...

Hell, when Georgia dumped doctor over church sermons he did in his private time, while practicing his religion, you we AOK with it.

"There are some things that will get you fired even if you say them in a church." -- Tom

So please, drop the "we tolerate evangelicals" trope... Cause you are record as *NOT* supporting it.
01-09-2017 01:28 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
If they paid bribes then off to jail for the lot of them.

/thread.
01-09-2017 01:31 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2017 01:10 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like IF it's a problem (and it easily may not be) then it's a legislative one, not one for the school.

Planned Parenthood gets lots of public funds because those funds are allocated to 'specific' events and actions that are of a public nature... even though they discriminate in other 'private' aspects. Schools can do the same thing... i.e. teaching reading and math IS a public good.

Eccelsia gets taxpayer funding even though they won't hire a Jew or a Gay person to be the janitor or an Accounting teacher. And it appears as if they don't serve non-evangelical persons at all.

Why should they even be eligible for taxpayer funding? Was there an offset for Arkansas' minorities not eligible, regardless of qualifications to participate in the benefits of that funding?

---

And Planned Parenthood will hire an evangelical. And they do serve them. And they don't get a dime for abortion services anyway.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 01:50 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-09-2017 01:49 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
That what you get here in Arkansas. Corrupt politicians and Religious leaders.
01-09-2017 03:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(01-09-2017 01:49 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Quote:

Quote:

Eccelsia gets taxpayer funding even though they won't hire a Jew or a Gay person to be the janitor or an Accounting teacher. And it appears as if they don't serve non-evangelical persons at all.

Why should they even be eligible for taxpayer funding? Was there an offset for Arkansas' minorities not eligible, regardless of qualifications to participate in the benefits of that funding?

---

And Planned Parenthood will hire an evangelical. And they do serve them. And they don't get a dime for abortion services anyway.

Why are you quoting me and not responding to me?

If you think Ecclesia is as guilty as Charles Manson, he was STILL afforded a defense. Your opinion of their legal leg to stand on makes no difference.

They should be eligible for funding because they DO provide services to people otherwise eligible for those services. You being upset about a catholic school getting funding to teach reading is no different than a conservative being upset about PP getting funding to provide contraception.

The 'don't get a dime' is a mis-characterization... unless you also admit that they don't provide abortion services either. Only physicians do that, and they also get paid state and federal dollars to do so.

Planned parenthood wouldn't hire anyone who didn't follow their rules. Nobody would.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 03:30 PM by Hambone10.)
01-09-2017 03:28 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(01-09-2017 03:28 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 01:49 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Quote:

Quote:

---

Why are you quoting me and not responding to me?

Consider yourself lucky... Usually when you point out his blatant hypocrisy he just moves on and pretends you did not post anything.
01-09-2017 03:39 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2017 01:28 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 12:49 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Evangelicals CAN work at Planned Parenthood.

Not my point Tom.... If were going to give charities tax money it should be based on how well and efficiently they provide the service, not on their hiring practices.

And you're claiming the high moral ground on tolerance is hilarious given the lefts desire to do things, like, force all doctors to perform abortions, or all pharmacists to fill scripts for plan B...

Hell, when Georgia dumped doctor over church sermons he did in his private time, while practicing his religion, you we AOK with it.

"There are some things that will get you fired even if you say them in a church." -- Tom

So please, drop the "we tolerate evangelicals" trope... Cause you are record as *NOT* supporting it.

Where have I advocated for firing evangelicals? I have, repeatedly, pointed out for the sole purpose of exposing the fact that persons who claim 'we don't like any non-discrimination laws' actually have no problem with existing protections covering evangelicals, that when they remove protections and set asides for evangelicals, then and only then will it be appropriate to say..."i'm opposed to protections, period" as an excuse to not add sexual orientation, gender identity, and marital status to those existing laws.

But I'd be very surprised if you'd ever seen me posting anything advocating employment discrimination against evangelicals, simply because they hold views contrary to mine, so long as they do so in a way that doesn't interfere with the reasonable job requirements and does so in a way that doesn't subject stakeholders interacting with that entity to unwanted harrassment, or if in high management - doesn't cause the public to lose confidence in the entity.

What I strictly advocate for is a ban on taxpayer subsidies to groups that discriminate?

----

There's this funny thing called the establishment clause. What that means as that government cannot favor any one religious viewpoint over another. Providing subsidies to groups that only serve/hire adherents to one religious group (especially if equal set asides are not provided to groups excluded) should qualify as a violation. By virtue of its funding, the state is establishing one particular religious viewpoint above all others.

---

And no, you can't credibly argue that giving taxpayer money to a school named after a bigoted (yes - I can defend using that term here) person named David Barton and that OVERTLY discriminates in employment and service provision is somehow helpful or a good use of taxpayer funding.

---

Now if you're talking about the public health head or the fire chief....those people must have the support of the communities they serve. If their public statements are considered so offensive that they make their job impossible or more difficult, then sure, they can't do the job. And why would a full time major public employee have a second job anyway?

Hiring someone to lead a public health department that offends everyone they need to work with....is a bad idea.

---

A doctor's job is to serve the people....ALL of them. Without discrimination. A pharmacist's job is to fill whatever the doctor tells them to. I've never understood why CVS doesn't just label all jobs (Plan B Dispenser/Pharmacist) and be done with it. This is a reasonable requirement for a doctor or a pharmacist to serve all of the people without discrimination and to fill the damn presecriptions.

There is no rational basis for a TAXPAYER supported institution to say...in order to teach Math, you must be straight, cannot be Jewish, etc.

If you won't do the job, then you shouldn't have it. And if the job description includes 'successful interaction with minority groups', then no - you can't go out and call them names on a second job you shouldn't be holding and expect to keep your job. No one says they can't believe whatever they want....but if the job is to A, then they can't say I'm only doing A...for some people.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 04:03 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-09-2017 03:55 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(01-09-2017 03:39 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  Consider yourself lucky... Usually when you point out his blatant hypocrisy he just moves on and pretends you did not post anything.

I think it worse to quote you and then not respond to you.

You can then spend the next 20 pages claiming you've responded.
01-09-2017 03:56 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2017 03:56 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 03:39 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  Consider yourself lucky... Usually when you point out his blatant hypocrisy he just moves on and pretends you did not post anything.

I think it worse to quote you and then not respond to you.

You can then spend the next 20 pages claiming you've responded.

Meh, Just because you don't want to hear my response doesn't mean I haven't.
01-09-2017 04:09 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(01-09-2017 03:55 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Where have I advocated for firing evangelicals? I have, repeatedly, pointed out for the sole purpose of exposing the fact that persons who claim 'we don't like any non-discrimination laws' actually have no problem with existing protections covering evangelicals, that when they remove protections and set asides for evangelicals, then and only then will it be appropriate to say..."i'm opposed to protections, period" as an excuse to not add sexual orientation, gender identity, and marital status to those existing laws.

You understand the difference between me basing my hiring on who best will advance the goals of MY company (the Hobby Lobby ruling) and instead basing it on some often unrelated qualifications of yours, like gender identity.... don't you?

I mean, if I'm hiring someone to work in the men's department of H&M and I hire an alpha male, I'm likely hurting my business. Is that discrimination against the alpha male (aggressive heterosexual male) or is it promoting my business through a hire that best attracts MY customers?

Quote:But I'd be very surprised if you'd ever seen me posting anything advocating employment discrimination against evangelicals.

What I strictly advocate for is a ban on taxpayer subsidies to groups that discriminate?
And then you define discrimination to mean anything that doesn't aggressively PROMOTE your agenda. Defining gender as 'what is on your birth certificate, that can be changed if you want it to be' is apparently BLATANT discrimination.

Quote:There's this funny thing called the establishment clause. What that means as that government cannot favor any one religious viewpoint over another. Providing subsidies to groups that only serve/hire adherents to one religious group (especially if equal set asides are not provided to groups excluded) should qualify as a violation. By virtue of its funding, the state is establishing one particular religious viewpoint above all others.

Do you have evidence that the government subsidizes groups that only serve/hire one religious group but denies such things to others? A 'set aside' isn't a denial... It's a made-up thing to promote something that doesn't otherwise exits.

If you can show me where a catholic school gets funding and an identical atheist or jewish school does not, that would be something....

but make sure they are identical.
---

Quote:And no, you can't credibly argue that giving taxpayer money to a school named after a bigoted (yes - I can defend using that term here) person named David Barton and that OVERTLY discriminates in employment and service provision is somehow helpful or a good use of taxpayer funding.

We had some very successful schools named after people like Robert E Lee. Why would the NAME matter? William Marsh Rice and John Harvard among others were slave owners iirc. Obviously those schools don't promote THOSE values.

ibid to my comment on how you define discrimination.

---

Quote:Now if you're talking about the public health head or the fire chief....those people must have the support of the communities they serve. If their public statements are considered so offensive that they make their job impossible or more difficult, then sure, they can't do the job. And why would a full time major public employee have a second job anyway?

Hiring someone to lead a public health department that offends everyone they need to work with....is a bad idea.

What if that is because they are militant gay activists?
01-09-2017 04:14 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2017 04:14 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 03:55 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Where have I advocated for firing evangelicals? I have, repeatedly, pointed out for the sole purpose of exposing the fact that persons who claim 'we don't like any non-discrimination laws' actually have no problem with existing protections covering evangelicals, that when they remove protections and set asides for evangelicals, then and only then will it be appropriate to say..."i'm opposed to protections, period" as an excuse to not add sexual orientation, gender identity, and marital status to those existing laws.

You understand the difference between me basing my hiring on who best will advance the goals of MY company (the Hobby Lobby ruling) and instead basing it on some often unrelated qualifications of yours, like gender identity.... don't you?

REASONABLE REQUIREMENTS. IT IS NO MORE REASONABLE FOR A PRIVATE BUSINESS, ENGAGED IN ORDINARY COMMERCE, UNDER THE ICC RULING, TO SAY 'WERE IN BUSINESS TO BE EVANGELICALS' SO NO GAYS AND NO JEWS, THAT IT WOULD BE FOR THAT SAME BUSINESS TO SAY 'WE'RE MEMBERS OF CHRISTIAN NATIONALISM, THEREFORE NO BLACKS'. IT IS NOT REASONABLE TO SAY THAT A CHECK OUT PERSON AT HOBBY LOBBY BE CHRISTIAN OR STRAIGHT.

I mean, if I'm hiring someone to work in the men's department of H&M and I hire an alpha male, I'm likely hurting my business. Is that discrimination against the alpha male (aggressive heterosexual male) or is it promoting my business through a hire that best attracts MY customers?

ACTUALLY H&M WOULD BE VIOLATING THE LAW IF THEY DID THAT. ABERCROMBIE AND FITCH TRIED SOMETHING SIMILAR AND GOT PUNKED BY THE EEOC BECAUSE OF IT.

Quote:But I'd be very surprised if you'd ever seen me posting anything advocating employment discrimination against evangelicals.

And then you define discrimination to mean anything that doesn't aggressively PROMOTE your agenda. Defining gender as 'what is on your birth certificate, that can be changed if you want it to be' is apparently BLATANT discrimination.

ITS PRETTY SIMPLE...CAN GAY OR JEWISH PERSONS WORK AT ECCLESIA? CAN THEY EVEN ATTEND AS STUDENTS? NO. THIS ISN'T IN DISPUTE. CAN A TRANS PERSON WORK THERE? NO. CAN THEY ATTEND? NO. SO NO, ECCLESIA SHOULDN'T GET ONE DIME OF TAXPAYER FUNDING. AND WE'RE NOT EVEN TALKING ABOUT DOLING OUT FUNDING TO THE RECEIPIENT AND LETTING THEM DECIDE WHERE TO SPEND IT....WHERE TALKING ABOUT A DIRECT SUBSIDY.

Quote:There's this funny thing called the establishment clause. What that means as that government cannot favor any one religious viewpoint over another. Providing subsidies to groups that only serve/hire adherents to one religious group (especially if equal set asides are not provided to groups excluded) should qualify as a violation. By virtue of its funding, the state is establishing one particular religious viewpoint above all others.

Do you have evidence that the government subsidizes groups that only serve/hire one religious group but denies such things to others? A 'set aside' isn't a denial... It's a made-up thing to promote something that doesn't otherwise exits.

If you can show me where a catholic school gets funding and an identical atheist or jewish school does not, that would be something....

WHERE IS THE FUNDING FOR THE ATHIEST/JEWISH/GAY SCHOOL IN ARKANSAS? WHAT ARKANSAS COULD DO TO EVEN IT OUT IS TO TAKE AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF FUNDING AS GIVEN TO ECCLESIA AND CREATE JOBS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS FOR NON-EVANGELICALS ONLY AND TO PROVIDE AUTOMATIC ADMISSION TO THAT SCHOOL FOR ANY PERSONS DENIED ADMISSION TO ECCLESIA. THE STATE OF KENTUCKY TRIED THIS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. THEY TRIED TO USE TAXPAYER FUNDS TO CREATE A PHARMACY SCHOOL AT A DISCRIMINATORY SCHOOL. WE RAISED UNHOLY HELL AND STUDENTS WHO COULDN'T GET INTO THE OTHER PHARMACY SCHOOL IN KENTUCKY (IT HAD HIGHER ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS) SUED AND GOT MANDATED ADMISSION TO UK'S SCHOOL. THEN THE STATE, CORRECTLY YANKED ALL THE FUNDING FROM THE DISCRIMINATORY INSTITUTION.
---

Quote:And no, you can't credibly argue that giving taxpayer money to a school named after a bigoted (yes - I can defend using that term here) person named David Barton and that OVERTLY discriminates in employment and service provision is somehow helpful or a good use of taxpayer funding.

We had some very successful schools named after people like Robert E Lee. Why would the NAME matter? William Marsh Rice and John Harvard among others were slave owners iirc. Obviously those schools don't promote THOSE values.

IF THE ROBERT E LEE SCHOOL DIDN'T ALLOW BLACKS THEN YOU'D HAVE AN ANALOG TO THE DAVID BARTON SCHOOL NOT ALLOWING GAYS. BUT THAT'S NOT THE CASE.

ibid to my comment on how you define discrimination.

---

Quote:Now if you're talking about the public health head or the fire chief....those people must have the support of the communities they serve. If their public statements are considered so offensive that they make their job impossible or more difficult, then sure, they can't do the job. And why would a full time major public employee have a second job anyway?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU'RE GOING HERE. ARE YOU UPSET BECAUSE A GAY ACTIVIST COMPLAINED? IF SO, STFU, THEY ARE TAXPAYERS AND STAKEHOLDERS TOO. IF YOU'RE MAINTAINING THAT THERE ARE PUBLIC JOBS IN MANAGEMENT WHERE YOU MUST BE A MILITANT GAY ACTIVIST, THEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW.....I KNOW PLENTY OF FOLKS THAT WOULD WANT TO APPLY FOR THAT.

My comments in ALL CAPS.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 04:40 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-09-2017 04:36 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(01-09-2017 04:36 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  REASONABLE REQUIREMENTS. IT IS NO MORE REASONABLE FOR A PRIVATE BUSINESS, ENGAGED IN ORDINARY COMMERCE, UNDER THE ICC RULING, TO SAY 'WERE IN BUSINESS TO BE EVANGELICALS' SO NO GAYS AND NO JEWS, THAT IT WOULD BE FOR THAT SAME BUSINESS TO SAY 'WE'RE MEMBERS OF CHRISTIAN NATIONALISM, THEREFORE NO BLACKS'. IT IS NOT REASONABLE TO SAY THAT A CHECK OUT PERSON AT HOBBY LOBBY BE CHRISTIAN OR STRAIGHT.

Argue and then prove those motivations and you have a case. You do this a lot... assuming things you can't possibly prove. If the person at the check-out is bad-mouthing people buying crosses or bibles or the like, then their personal positions are interfering with the corporate goals of selling goods. Is there any evidence that gays or atheists can't shop at Hobby Lobby? There isn't even any evidence I'm aware of that they don't hire gays or atheists... though as I understand it, they don't have to offer contraception... which best I know isn't an issue for gays and certainly not something that is part of atheism.

Hobby Lobby is also different from most large corporations in its ownership

Quote:ACTUALLY H&M WOULD BE VIOLATING THE LAW IF THEY DID THAT. ABERCROMBIE AND FITCH TRIED SOMETHING SIMILAR AND GOT PUNKED BY THE EEOC BECAUSE OF IT.

Not at all the same, though I'll admit I gave a weak example. An aggressively hetero male would likely 'turn off' many H&M Men's department customers. He would be not hired because of THAT, and not because of his sexual orientation.

The abercrombie ruling I'm familiar with, they equated a religious head scarf to a 'hat' which was against company policy... not at all the same as how they would treat a customer, who wouldn't be subject to such a company policy at all.

Quote:

ITS PRETTY SIMPLE...CAN GAY OR JEWISH PERSONS WORK AT ECCLESIA? CAN THEY EVEN ATTEND AS STUDENTS? NO. THIS ISN'T IN DISPUTE. CAN A TRANS PERSON WORK THERE? NO. CAN THEY ATTEND? NO. SO NO, ECCLESIA SHOULDN'T GET ONE DIME OF TAXPAYER FUNDING. AND WE'RE NOT EVEN TALKING ABOUT DOLING OUT FUNDING TO THE RECEIPIENT AND LETTING THEM DECIDE WHERE TO SPEND IT....WHERE TALKING ABOUT A DIRECT SUBSIDY.[/quote]

Yeah, you're likely intentionally not getting my point. You say 'this isn't in dispute', yet I don't believe you because you've claimed such things before. I'll let a judge and not 'an advocate' decide.

Obviously that person has a 'right' to public funding for his education and at least SOME of the education even at such a place is not related to religion.

Like PP does in order to get IT'S funding, and you do if you have a home office or use your car for work, ANY group should be able to differentiate SOME of their activities from others. If 50% of their education is deemed to be non-religious in nature, then they should get half the support of a group that had 100% non-religious.

You're free to disagree, but that doesn't make you right or in the majority.

Quote:Do you have evidence that the government subsidizes groups that only serve/hire one religious group but denies such things to others? A 'set aside' isn't a denial... It's a made-up thing to promote something that doesn't otherwise exits.

WHERE IS THE FUNDING FOR THE ATHIEST/JEWISH/GAY SCHOOL IN ARKANSAS? WHAT ARKANSAS COULD DO TO EVEN IT OUT IS TO TAKE AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF FUNDING AS GIVEN TO ECCLESIA AND CREATE JOBS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS FOR NON-EVANGELICALS ONLY AND TO PROVIDE AUTOMATIC ADMISSION TO THAT SCHOOL FOR ANY PERSONS DENIED ADMISSION TO ECCLESIA. THE STATE OF KENTUCKY TRIED THIS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. THEY TRIED TO USE TAXPAYER FUNDS TO CREATE A PHARMACY SCHOOL AT A DISCRIMINATORY SCHOOL. WE RAISED UNHOLY HELL AND STUDENTS WHO COULDN'T GET INTO THE OTHER PHARMACY SCHOOL IN KENTUCKY (IT HAD HIGHER ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS) SUED AND GOT MANDATED ADMISSION TO UK'S SCHOOL. THEN THE STATE, CORRECTLY YANKED ALL THE FUNDING FROM THE DISCRIMINATORY INSTITUTION.
---

So the answer is 'no' you can't show me such a situation, and 'no' you don't understand the difference between a 'set aside' and funding.

and that was a violation of a Kentucky state law, which isn't the same in every state OR the Federal law. States that have similar laws, you'd win in. Obviously many states don't have the same laws.

Quote:

IF THE ROBERT E LEE SCHOOL DIDN'T ALLOW BLACKS THEN YOU'D HAVE AN ANALOG TO THE DAVID BARTON SCHOOL NOT ALLOWING GAYS. BUT THAT'S NOT THE CASE.

That's not at all what you said. You said giving money to a school named after a bigot... Obviously the name has nothing to do with anything... you're just trying to 'pile on'.

Quote:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU'RE GOING HERE. ARE YOU UPSET BECAUSE A GAY ACTIVIST COMPLAINED? IF SO, STFU, THEY ARE TAXPAYERS AND STAKEHOLDERS TOO. IF YOU'RE MAINTAINING THAT THERE ARE PUBLIC JOBS IN MANAGEMENT WHERE YOU MUST BE A MILITANT GAY ACTIVIST, THEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW.....I KNOW PLENTY OF FOLKS THAT WOULD WANT TO APPLY FOR THAT.

My comments in ALL CAPS.
[/quote]

I couldn't care less who complained.

What I'm going after is the idea that militant activists often offend everyone they need to work with. You do it in ever post on here... not that you NEED to work with 'us', but I doubt you're much more reserved in your public activities. If it's a bad idea to hire someone who offends everyone they need to work with, then I'm asking if you'd apply that interpretation without discrimination.

I suspect that if a militant gay activist were fired for offending all of those people they worked around, that you'd want them to be able to sue for discrimination.... and you'd define 'discrimination' differently for them than you apparently would for 'another' public health department hire.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 05:49 PM by Hambone10.)
01-09-2017 05:44 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(01-09-2017 03:55 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Where have I advocated for firing evangelicals?

"There are some things that will get you fired even if you say them in a church."

Quote:But I'd be very surprised if you'd ever seen me posting anything advocating employment discrimination against evangelicals, simply because they hold views contrary to mine

"There are some things that will get you fired even if you say them in a church."

Quote:so long as they do so in a way that doesn't interfere with the reasonable job requirements and does so in a way that doesn't subject stakeholders interacting with that entity to unwanted harrassment

Quote:or if in high management

Quote:doesn't cause the public to lose confidence in the entity.

01-09-2017 06:51 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2017 06:51 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 03:55 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Where have I advocated for firing evangelicals?

Quote:But I'd be very surprised if you'd ever seen me posting anything advocating employment discrimination against evangelicals, simply because they hold views contrary to mine

Quote:so long as they do so in a way that doesn't interfere with the reasonable job requirements and does so in a way that doesn't subject stakeholders interacting with that entity to unwanted harrassment

Quote:or if in high management

Quote:doesn't cause the public to lose confidence in the entity.

Yep, there are some things that will get you fired even if you say them in a church. if you are say, the head of public health for a city and you go to a church and say Gay people are freaks and shouldn't have sex because they're disgusting....then how are you going to do your job? No one in the LGBT community is going to listen to you. Leaders, like Fire Chiefs, Police Chiefs, or Heads of Public Health Departments need to have CREDIBILITY with the communities they serve. Its why teachers get fired for, on their private time, performing in porn films. They can't be effective after stuff like that. If you are a secretary at the DMV, then the rules are a lot less stringent.

You can't do or say EVERYTHING simply because you are in a church or put an Amen on it and keep your job, if part of your job is retaining the confidence of the communities you need to work with in order to do your job effectively.

That public health head can believe whatever he or she wants (although someone who doesn't respect major population segments under their purview should probably consider doing something else), but no, going out there and acting like Fred Phelps will ruin your effectiveness.

I said that, and I stand by it.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 09:40 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-09-2017 09:39 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(01-09-2017 09:39 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Yep, there are some things that will get you fired even if you say them in a church.

Church and State? What wall?

Quote:if you are say, the head of public health for a city and you go to a church and say Gay people are freaks and shouldn't have sex because they're disgusting....then how are you going to do your job?

Same way my Doctor does his despite the fact he knows I'm a right wing evangelical and he is as queer as a three dollar bill.

He's a good doctor, I understand his beliefs are not a component of his treating me. Works pretty well...

Quote:I said that, and I stand by it.

Except when you pretend that *only* Christians do persecute and are protectd...
01-09-2017 09:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.