New Logo/Branding

01-04-2017 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
RE: New Logo/Branding
I do not care for this. But it does match the endzone in Frisco now.
01-04-2017 09:37 AM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
(01-04-2017 09:36 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  

Was just composing a post but you beat me to it Dirty! Just saw this on the JMU Sports Facebook Page! This must be the reason we chose James Madison in the endzone in a less familiar font (at least I think it looks a little different...) More gold, less purple and perhaps less "Madison" only branding... Not sure how I feel about it until I see it in action, but it will be fitting when we bring home the W from Frisco! Perhaps the uniforms will be completely different than anything we've seen too because of this!
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 09:39 AM by JMUTrippster.)
01-04-2017 09:39 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
meh. much ado about nothing.

all it did was change the font. as long as Duke Dog stays, the rest is just window dressing.
01-04-2017 09:44 AM
JMUNewbill Offline
2nd String

I like the old one.
01-04-2017 09:46 AM
Flyrod Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-04-2017 09:44 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  meh. much ado about nothing.

all it did was change the font. as long as Duke Dog stays, the rest is just window dressing.

they Dropped "black" from the images. if you look at the old images they had black outlines in them. this is especially found in the duke dog logo.
(yes I sell print for a living we pick up on these suttle changes)

Which #1 will make it cheaper to screen print one less color to print and still maintain the "standard" look.
logo changes are usually never for aesthetics but for cost purposes.
Plus now its easier to place on black or white or gold or purple backgrounds without doing a whole lot of other 'modifications" in illustrator.
01-04-2017 09:52 AM
Advertisement

Dukes1825 Offline
Special Teams

Still dreaming of a forward facing Duke Dog like UGA has. One day I'll get my dream.
01-04-2017 09:54 AM
GaryMatthews Offline
2nd String

I like it! Nothing wrong with simplifying what we already had.
01-04-2017 09:58 AM
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

I personally like the new look.... sleaker. Its akin to the Wizards going from that nasty blue and gold look and to the red white and blue look
01-04-2017 09:59 AM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
I've always preferred saying JMU over James Madsion. Would much rather that continue to be emphasized. Seems to be less of a focus on JMU with the new branding and looks a little cheaper.

Also prefer the old Dukes lettering.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 10:12 AM by bridgeforthduke.)
01-04-2017 10:07 AM
madizoned-level2004 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU and Rutgers
The only thing I don't really like is the "JMU" lettering. The new version looks like simple Arial Bold Italic. Very D3.
01-04-2017 10:08 AM
Advertisement

jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
Updated and simplified. I think we're a couple years behind with these changes, but overall they're pretty good. Nice that I just bought a nice new fleece with the old JMU logo...

The only thing throwing me is the purple on the crown changing to gold. I get that they had to given that the new outlines/stroke is purple, so it would just become negative space which would look strange...just something I'll have to get used to. Anyone know if we paid some outside agency a bunch to do this for us or if someone internally did this? If we paid money for someone to pick a new font and change the stroke/fill colors on an illustrator document it would make me sad.
01-04-2017 10:13 AM
GaryMatthews Offline
2nd String

(01-04-2017 10:13 AM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Updated and simplified. I think we're a couple years behind with these changes, but overall they're pretty good. Nice that I just bought a nice new fleece with the old JMU logo...

The only thing throwing me is the purple on the crown changing to gold. I get that they had to given that the new outlines/stroke is purple, so it would just become negative space which would look strange...just something I'll have to get used to. Anyone know if we paid some outside agency a bunch to do this for us or if someone internally did this? If we paid money for someone to pick a new font and change the stroke/fill colors on an illustrator document it would make me sad.

Then I don't recommend that you read the article on jmusports.com
01-04-2017 10:15 AM
jmuduke10 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison U
Yea they really highlighted the gold in the logo (still miles better than the ugly yellow-gold during my years) wish they kept the purple crown but perhaps it'll look better in person. Just beat the damn penguins!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CSNbbs mobile app
01-04-2017 10:19 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
Heard a little about this last night. Moving away from things like "Madison" for the full "James Madison". It works - make it standard.

now we all have to buy new JMU gear 04-cheers
01-04-2017 10:19 AM
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(01-04-2017 09:54 AM)Dukes1825 Wrote:  Still dreaming of a forward facing Duke Dog like UGA has. One day I'll get my dream.

Like this one? This logo was on the JMU Sports website and was included in the new logo package.

[Image: DukeDogHeadL_FulClr_WhtBG_Flipped.png]
01-04-2017 10:20 AM
Advertisement

jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
(01-04-2017 10:15 AM)GaryMatthews Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 10:13 AM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Updated and simplified. I think we're a couple years behind with these changes, but overall they're pretty good. Nice that I just bought a nice new fleece with the old JMU logo...

Quote:The identity launch is the result of 15 months of exploration and development in consultation with national firm Joe Bosack & Co., whose major branding projects have included the NCAA's recent rebranding, which encompasses all of the association's championships in all sports across all three divisions.

OMG 03-banghead I guarantee a design meth 101 class or the equivalent in SMAD could have come up with the same results for free...in a single class period. Ugh.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 10:24 AM by jmufan2008.)
01-04-2017 10:22 AM
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

(01-04-2017 10:20 AM)rknj8993 Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 09:54 AM)Dukes1825 Wrote:  Still dreaming of a forward facing Duke Dog like UGA has. One day I'll get my dream.

Like this one? This logo was on the JMU Sports website and was included in the new logo package.

[Image: DukeDogHeadL_FulClr_WhtBG_Flipped.png]

Do you consider that forward facing? Is that how you like to talk to people in eastern NC?
01-04-2017 10:26 AM
#YEEHAWDUKES Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(01-04-2017 10:22 AM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  

Quote:The identity launch is the result of 15 months of exploration and development in consultation with national firm Joe Bosack & Co., whose major branding projects have included the NCAA's recent rebranding, which encompasses all of the association's championships in all sports across all three divisions.

OMG 03-banghead I guarantee a design meth 101 class or the equivalent in SMAD could have come up with the same results for free...in a single class period. Ugh.

15 months!?!
01-04-2017 10:27 AM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
(01-04-2017 10:27 AM)#YEEHAWDUKES Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 10:22 AM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  

15 months!?!

Pitz could have done it in 15 minutes.
01-04-2017 10:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.