Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

benefit of championship run not being mentioned
Bookmark and Share
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
benefit of championship run not being mentioned
There are obviously so many benefits of this great football season to our university but one of the biggest upsides is the additional practice time our players get. We only have a handful of seniors graduating but how valuable is this extra time for all their understudies with coaches in the month of December and going into January now. I'd say the guys like Chavious and Cole Johnson are getting invaluable teaching instead of being off for a month like most college kids get.

By the time the team gets back to campus, it will be the spring semester, introduce a few new players (including Marcus Marshall), get our academics right, some guys prepping for pro days, and then spring ball is right around the corner!
12-29-2016 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: benefit of championship run not being mentioned
(12-29-2016 08:38 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  There are obviously so many benefits of this great football season to our university but one of the biggest upsides is the additional practice time our players get. We only have a handful of seniors graduating but how valuable is this extra time for all their understudies with coaches in the month of December and going into January now. I'd say the guys like Chavious and Cole Johnson are getting invaluable teaching instead of being off for a month like most college kids get.

By the time the team gets back to campus, it will be the spring semester, introduce a few new players (including Marcus Marshall), get our academics right, some guys prepping for pro days, and then spring ball is right around the corner!

Agree with everything but its more than a handful. 15 seniors listed on JMU's roster. 10 of 22 listed starters vs NDSU were seniors (and that doesn't include Kirsch or Kane at punter)...
12-29-2016 12:56 PM
Ike N. Berry Offline
2nd String

Definitely a benefit and, I suspect, also a challenge for the coaches not to wear these guys out. Five months is a long season.
12-29-2016 02:47 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Sorry to rain on the thought, but this myth of extra practice time being incredibly beneficial at this time of year is just that...a myth. Talk to any players or coaches of a D1A program who regularly goes to bowl games and they'll tell you that there is very little implemented new this time of year and additional time doesn't really make any difference to next year's season. Also, it is a myth that winning a bowl game somehow is some great help towards the next season. It isn't.

I know I'm talking bowls to your points about championship playoff runs, but the concepts are the same. Lots of teams win bowl games and then fall flat on their faces the next season. Or, lose bowl games (or not even appear) and have great seasons the next year. Each season is its own.

Having said all that, I'd love to see the Dukes' experience in this championship run help our guys' confidence and mentality next year. Now THAT is not a myth.
12-29-2016 02:52 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2016 02:52 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Sorry to rain on the thought, but this myth of extra practice time being incredibly beneficial at this time of year is just that...a myth. Talk to any players or coaches of a D1A program who regularly goes to bowl games and they'll tell you that there is very little implemented new this time of year and additional time doesn't really make any difference to next year's season. Also, it is a myth that winning a bowl game somehow is some great help towards the next season. It isn't.

I know I'm talking bowls to your points about championship playoff runs, but the concepts are the same. Lots of teams win bowl games and then fall flat on their faces the next season. Or, lose bowl games (or not even appear) and have great seasons the next year. Each season is its own.

Having said all that, I'd love to see the Dukes' experience in this championship run help our guys' confidence and mentality next year. Now THAT is not a myth.

probably true on the practice time.

but i definitely think it helps on the mental aspect.

just like Connor Mitch coming in lit the fuse under Schor, maybe some guys who are not as naturally motivated to push themselves in the offseason will see how much fun this is and put in some extra work during the spring and summer.
12-29-2016 02:55 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2016 02:55 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 02:52 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Sorry to rain on the thought, but this myth of extra practice time being incredibly beneficial at this time of year is just that...a myth. Talk to any players or coaches of a D1A program who regularly goes to bowl games and they'll tell you that there is very little implemented new this time of year and additional time doesn't really make any difference to next year's season. Also, it is a myth that winning a bowl game somehow is some great help towards the next season. It isn't.

probably true on the practice time.

but i definitely think it helps on the mental aspect.

just like Connor Mitch coming in lit the fuse under Schor, maybe some guys who are not as naturally motivated to push themselves in the offseason will see how much fun this is and put in some extra work during the spring and summer.

Agree. Hence, my last 2 sentences.

Once you taste something like this, you want it again and again. Addictive, but in a good way of course.

I firmly believe Marcus Marshall will be a stud at JMU, but his presence should make everyone else better...especially our running back corps.
12-29-2016 03:48 PM
Advertisement

Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

the whole team is going to be good again next year.

returning players who are major contributors this year:

QB - Schor
RB - Johnson (?), Sharp, Woods, add Marshall
WR - Miller, Hyman....hopefully some of the young WR's are good
TE - Kloosterman
OL - Stinnie, Bolden, Chavious, Patrick

DL - Ankrah, Carter, Robinson, Urquhart, Daka
LB - Holloway, Hawkins, Ezeagwu
DB - Tutt, Oliver, Moreland, Greene, Brown

Looks like another stacked team. areas we need someone to step up or have some transfers are on the OL and at WR

our defense on paper actually looks pretty loaded. The secondary is littered with All-CAA types. Ankrah could be an All American and after watching him in the NDSU game, Holloway could be too.

We will be a more complete team from Day 1 at the start of next season versus what we were at the start of this season.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 04:00 PM by Duke Dawg.)
12-29-2016 03:58 PM
JMUTEKE Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU Dooks
(12-29-2016 03:58 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  the whole team is going to be good again next year.

QB - Schor
TE - Kloosterman

Looks like another stacked team. areas we need someone to step up or have some transfers are on the OL and at WR

our defense on paper actually looks pretty loaded. The secondary is littered with All-CAA types. Ankrah could be an All American and after watching him in the NDSU game, Holloway could be too.

We will be a more complete team from Day 1 at the start of next season versus what we were at the start of this season.

You missed Raven Green .... back as a safety ... NCAA granted another season of eligibility ...
12-30-2016 01:39 PM
PGJMU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Dukes
Is the door shut on Hereford and Alls?
12-30-2016 01:44 PM
dukesfan4010 Offline
2nd String

Add Rashad Robinson to that DB mix too
12-30-2016 01:52 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2016 01:39 PM)JMUTEKE Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 03:58 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  the whole team is going to be good again next year.

QB - Schor
TE - Kloosterman

You missed Raven Green .... back as a safety ... NCAA granted another season of eligibility ...

nope. he's there. look again. ;-) 03-thumbsup
12-30-2016 01:53 PM
Advertisement

JMUTEKE Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU Dooks
(12-30-2016 01:53 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(12-30-2016 01:39 PM)JMUTEKE Wrote:  

QB - Schor
TE - Kloosterman

nope. he's there. look again. ;-) 03-thumbsup

did I mention ... I'm old ???? *snicker* 04-bow
12-30-2016 03:10 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(12-30-2016 01:44 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  Is the door shut on Hereford and Alls?

I think their suspensions will carry over into next season. I think either 2 or 3 games.
12-30-2016 09:50 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

I thought the JMU rule was no suspension for 1st time offenders? The student athlete loses 1/2 of their season for a second offense and their scholarship for a 3rd.

I believe these recent suspensions are mandated by the NCAA.
12-31-2016 01:22 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2016 09:50 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(12-30-2016 01:44 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  Is the door shut on Hereford and Alls?

I think their suspensions will carry over into next season. I think either 2 or 3 games.

5.5 games would be half a season. So that would mean 3.5 games next season for the suspended players that return.
12-31-2016 01:55 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

My point is we're these suspensions first or second time suspensions? If they were first time smoking pot or some other non-ped drug, then JMU would not have suspended them and they likely return for a full season next year. That is what I meant by saying the suspensions were mandated by the NCAA.
12-31-2016 08:55 AM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I think Coach Houston said they carry over to next season. So, don't know if it is an NCAA mandate whether it is a first time or second time, or if it is an institutional thing. Heck, Coach might have a stricter policy than either JMU or the NCAA which is ok with me. How an athlete could be so callous and stupid knowing they test is beyond me.
12-31-2016 09:01 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

The rumor I heard was that the NCAA only tested for PEDs the last two years during the playoffs. This year the NCAA included recreational drugs in their testing. The players thought they were okay because they did not use PEDs. They apparently thought the bye week was a good time to let off some steam per see. The testing was done after the UNH game but results were not available until after the SHSU game.

People make stupid decisions all of the time including adults. If every company drug tested, a lot of people would lose their jobs. Our society today has a big problem with drugs and it is worse with young people. All the raising of the drinking age did was ensure that drug dealers would sell more drugs to a population who no longer had easy access to alcohol.

Let's be honest. On any given weekend, what % off the population is high on drugs or alcohol? How many of these folks could go 4-5 months without a drink iif their employer required it? Heck, throw caffeine in there as well. Humans are prone to "using" mood enhancing substances going back to biblical times. I am disappointed in the players and understand your point my friend but I can't bring myself to harshly judge another human being for being flawed when it is so prevalent in our society.
12-31-2016 09:20 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(12-31-2016 09:20 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  The rumor I heard was that the NCAA only tested for PEDs the last two years during the playoffs. This year the NCAA included recreational drugs in their testing. The players thought they were okay because they did not use PEDs. They apparently thought the bye week was a good time to let off some steam per see. The testing was done after the UNH game but results were not available until after the SHSU game.

People make stupid decisions all of the time including adults. If every company drug tested, a lot of people would lose their jobs. Our society today has a big problem with drugs and it is worse with young people. All the raising of the drinking age did was ensure that drug dealers would sell more drugs to a population who no longer had easy access to alcohol.

Let's be honest. On any given weekend, what % off the population is high on drugs or alcohol? How many of these folks could go 4-5 months without a drink iif their employer required it? Heck, throw caffeine in there as well. Humans are prone to "using" mood enhancing substances going back to biblical times. I am disappointed in the players and understand your point my friend but I can't bring myself to harshly judge another human being for being flawed when it is so prevalent in our society.

I hear you loud and clear. My own son became addicted to pain killers and nearly lost his life. Thankfully, he beat it. Now if I could get him off of cigarettes I would be a happy man.

I think our athletes should be held to a higher standard. We pay their way through college. To those who much is given, much is expected. Knowing you will be tested for drugs at ANY time during the football season trumps blowing off some steam when the job isn't finished. They have a contract with the University, the coaches, their teammates and the fans to uphold certain standards in exchange for the privilege of being a part of OUR team. They let us all down. Hopefully, not only they but all of their teammates learn from this and it will not happen in the future. We let kids off too easily under the premise that they all do it. I think Coach Houston is a no nonsense guy and I appreciate that.
12-31-2016 10:20 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2016 10:20 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(12-31-2016 09:20 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  The rumor I heard was that the NCAA only tested for PEDs the last two years during the playoffs. This year the NCAA included recreational drugs in their testing. The players thought they were okay because they did not use PEDs. They apparently thought the bye week was a good time to let off some steam per see. The testing was done after the UNH game but results were not available until after the SHSU game.

I hear you loud and clear. My own son became addicted to pain killers and nearly lost his life. Thankfully, he beat it. Now if I could get him off of cigarettes I would be a happy man.

I think our athletes should be held to a higher standard. We pay their way through college. To those who much is given, much is expected. Knowing you will be tested for drugs at ANY time during the football season trumps blowing off some steam when the job isn't finished. They have a contract with the University, the coaches, their teammates and the fans to uphold certain standards in exchange for the privilege of being a part of OUR team. They let us all down. Hopefully, not only they but all of their teammates learn from this and it will not happen in the future. We let kids off too easily under the premise that they all do it. I think Coach Houston is a no nonsense guy and I appreciate that.

100% behind every thought you just posted. The only thing that I will say is every student, every young person for that matter, needs a mentor and someone that he/she can look up to and trust their advice. I had this guidance from so many people, people I respected, two of which were my parents, but my mentors went way beyond what my parents had to offer, yet I still made mistakes. Nothing major, but mistakes nonetheless.

Most young folk don't have the network I had, thus I question how they can understand the consequences of their behavior without the school stepping in and providing this guidance, and I don't mean just having someone a student can call if they need, I mean, a person who stays on top of everything the student does and guides them before the student even knows he needs help.
12-31-2016 11:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.