Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Mens Basketball; Naughty or Nice? (Sagarin Ratings)
Bookmark and Share
San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: il Rockets
MAC Mens Basketball; Naughty or Nice? (Sagarin Ratings)
Per Jeff Sargarin... accurate?

94 Akron
109 Ohio
140 Toledo
151 Eastern Michigan
152 Kent State
154 Buffalo
164 Central Michigan
178 Northern Illinois
192 Ball State
212 Bowling
226 Western Michigan
262 Miami
12-22-2016 09:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: MAC Mens Basketball; Naughty or Nice? (Sagarin Ratings)
(12-22-2016 09:40 PM)San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Wrote:  Per Jeff Sargarin... accurate?

94 Akron
109 Ohio
140 Toledo
151 Eastern Michigan
152 Kent State
154 Buffalo
164 Central Michigan
178 Northern Illinois
192 Ball State
212 Bowling
226 Western Michigan
262 Miami

Seems about right for us, unfortunately. I was hoping we'd be better than last year but so far it's the opposite.
12-23-2016 09:29 AM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
If the NCAA tournament went to 128 teams Toledo still would be on the outside looking in...but at least the MAC would have two teams.
12-23-2016 03:05 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
I think Akron and Ohio are a bit overvalued, resulting a lot from preseason standings. Erase that memory and they are not at the top. I think EMU is probably undervalued.
12-23-2016 08:48 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
Eastern Michigan is 3-5 vs D1 schools, including a 48 point beat down against a 7-5 Syracuse. If anything they are over valued.

Akron is an opening night loss away from being the clear runaway favorite to win this conference. As it stands they still come away with the best OOC resume going 9-3 vs D1 schools and 2 of those 3 losses coming to 2 undefeated teams that are both ranked in the top 10 nationally. They are also in the midst of a 23 game home win streak so it won't be easy for any MAC team to come into the JAR and walk out with a "W"

The team I feel is undervalued is CMU. I don't see them winning the conference, but they are good enough to beat anyone any night. I'd say they finish 11-7 in MAC play, which would be good enough for 2nd or 3rd place.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2016 03:39 AM by kreed5120.)
12-24-2016 03:37 AM
Advertisement

cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(12-24-2016 03:37 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Eastern Michigan is 3-5 vs D1 schools, including a 48 point beat down against a 7-5 Syracuse. If anything they are over valued.

Akron is an opening night loss away from being the clear runaway favorite to win this conference. As it stands they still come away with the best OOC resume going 9-3 vs D1 schools and 2 of those 3 losses coming to 2 undefeated teams that are both ranked in the top 10 nationally. They are also in the midst of a 23 game home win streak so it won't be easy for any MAC team to come into the JAR and walk out with a "W"

The team I feel is undervalued is CMU. I don't see them winning the conference, but they are good enough to beat anyone any night. I'd say they finish 11-7 in MAC play, which would be good enough for 2nd or 3rd place.

Keene rolled his ankle but still had 44 pts. Not sure if he can endure a full season he is always getting contact and on the floor. Also cmu has zero inside game off and def. Team is fun to watch can they go the distance is the question. Disappointed in emu thought for sure they would be the heavyweight in the mac this year
12-24-2016 05:26 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I have no idea why EMU is playing the way they are (but truth be told I DO have a lot of ideas).

1). We got a royal screwing in the 2K classic. We were supposed to visit UofM and then bus up to Milwaukee for Marquette. Marquette, travel wise, is like NIU for us. Instead UofM leaned on the 2K folks not to play us and we got stuck going to Pittsburgh then next day to Dallas-Fort Worth and then the next day back to Ypsi and then a NAIA school and then two days later on to Indy, the 2nd game was a IUPUI home game. We showed very well vs. Pitt and collapsed vs. SMU. We played a NBA travel schedule start.

2). And what fans don't know (but I assume coaches do know) is that Murphy has tried to make a major change in the front court which most feel has not worked at all. The change was to move JT4 defensively to one of the wings and let JUCO Baylee Steele play the post. JT4 has not worked on well as a PF.

3). Some wonder if Murphy will ditch the experiment (the experiment was to save JT4 from foul trouble and see if he can be a defensive '4'). Some would like to see Murphy start JT4 at center both offensively and defensively and let Baylee Steele back him up. Steele has developed into a capable post player and certainly can fill minutes behind JT4. Redshirt soph, Jordan Nobles, is showing flashes of offense and could be a stretch 4.

My guess is that if Murphy makes the changes us fans want to see, it is a 'brand new' team starting in conference play.

We'll see if it happens...
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2016 09:37 PM by emu steve.)
12-24-2016 09:35 PM
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
One thing to notice with the Sagarin rankings...the MAC is 0-10 against Sagarin's top 50 teams. Usually, we get at least one solid upset in non-conference play

The best nonconference wins so far this year would be Toledo over #98 Loyola-Chicago and Kent State over #71 Texas
12-28-2016 04:00 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(12-24-2016 03:37 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Eastern Michigan is 3-5 vs D1 schools, including a 48 point beat down against a 7-5 Syracuse. If anything they are over valued.

Im starting to think though, that EMU might have the most balanced team in the conference. This will be an interesting season.
12-28-2016 10:13 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(12-28-2016 10:13 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Im starting to think though, that EMU might have the most balanced team in the conference. This will be an interesting season.

UT certainly is one of the best balanced. There isn't an area that outweighs any other. Our inability to rebound is roughly equal to our inability to shoot while our lack of defense balances nicely with our lack of ball movement. We don't block shots but we don't shoot free throws well either. I think we are easily as well balanced as EMU.
12-29-2016 02:28 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

EMU giving Long Beach St an absolute beat down right now. Long Beach St is a pretty good team that just doesn't have a good record because it has played one of the top 5 hardest schedules in the country.
12-29-2016 03:07 PM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
(12-29-2016 03:07 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  EMU giving Long Beach St an absolute beat down right now. Long Beach St is a pretty good team that just doesn't have a good record because it has played one of the top 5 hardest schedules in the country.

#168 in KenPom.

That sounds pretty mediocre to me.
12-29-2016 03:56 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
They're playing without their best player right now, but we are still missing our starting PG. I'll take a beatdown over a mediocre team any day, though.

If we play like this more often, we will be a contender in the MAC. The problem is, we never know which team is going to show up. Our problems this year are on the denfesive end and late game offense. When we force TOs and make teams try to run with us, we are fantastic. When we don't force turnovers, we get killed. At least that's how the season has gone so far.
12-29-2016 04:05 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(12-29-2016 03:56 PM)niusfactuary Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 03:07 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  EMU giving Long Beach St an absolute beat down right now. Long Beach St is a pretty good team that just doesn't have a good record because it has played one of the top 5 hardest schedules in the country.

#168 in KenPom.

That was my point, they are 5-10 and yet have a top half of D1 ranking. Testament to their tough schedule.
12-29-2016 04:07 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(12-29-2016 04:05 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  They're playing without their best player right now, but we are still missing our starting PG. I'll take a beatdown over a mediocre team any day, though.

If we play like this more often, we will be a contender in the MAC. The problem is, we never know which team is going to show up. Our problems this year are on the denfesive end and late game offense. When we force TOs and make teams try to run with us, we are fantastic. When we don't force turnovers, we get killed. At least that's how the season has gone so far.

I agree, if EMU plays this way, I think they are the best team in the MAC. I was not sold on EMU going into this season, but I am becoming sold quickly. That swell on Thompson's forehead was unreal
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 04:08 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
12-29-2016 04:08 PM
BullBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo
I've said this about EMU every year.. They always have one of the most talented teams in the league and it baffles me that they never go further in the tournament or do any damage in the postseason.

If this team doesn't win or fight for the league title, they really need to look at replacing Coach Murphy.
12-29-2016 07:36 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-29-2016 04:05 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  They're playing without their best player right now, but we are still missing our starting PG. I'll take a beatdown over a mediocre team any day, though.

Excellent analysis.

We miss DaShonte Riley's defensive presence from years ago. When he patrolled the middle we were very good defensively. Without him we're more average defensively.

Instead of having a Riley patrolling the middle, we play more of a gambling style zone trying to 'infiltrate' the passing lanes and get the steal and the bucket.

Our success (or lack therefore of) is based on other teams not shooting lights out behind the arc. We need the missed trey (or intercepted pass) to trigger our running game go. We have the players to run: Bond, Lee, Toney, etc.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2016 04:51 AM by emu steve.)
12-31-2016 04:50 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-29-2016 04:07 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 03:56 PM)niusfactuary Wrote:  

#168 in KenPom.

That was my point, they are 5-10 and yet have a top half of D1 ranking. Testament to their tough schedule.

This is a downright brutal schedule. Seven teams from power conferences includings teams which win the NCAAs. I have NO idea what the point is.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...e/_/id/299

BTW, 168 out of 351 is 'average'. Average is average to me, but I don't consider it mediocre, which I would use to describe below average.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2016 04:57 AM by emu steve.)
12-31-2016 04:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.