Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Players likely to be drafted skipping bowl game as a precaution
Bookmark and Share
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
Exclamation Players likely to be drafted skipping bowl game as a precaution
At least two players won't play in a bowl game to reduce the chance of an injury that would affect their selection. A writer for Sports Illustrated thinks this will become more common.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/19/christi...g-sun-bowl
12-19-2016 06:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

RE: Players likely to be drafted skipping bowl game as a precaution
It makes sense to me. If they are going to get drafted, why risk it, especially if the bowl doesn't mean anything. One injury and your draft status plummets. No different than coach moving on before the end of the season.
12-19-2016 07:39 PM
Carolina Rocket Offline
Token fat guy

I support the players in this. You've put your body on the line for your team for 3 to 5 years to help build a program. If you know you're going and your stock is high, what is the point of a meaningless (relatively speaking) bowl game? The thing that the coaches talk about is the extra practice time to build for next season, so great, let the replacement get some live action reps.

Also, if these coaches commitments end the day of the final regular season game, why expect a 21 year old to be held to a higher standard? He played his season, he's gonna get paid, good for him. Just like we say about the coaches.
12-19-2016 07:49 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
I dunno if I agree with it. If it was NY/BCS bowl, I'd certainly boo him big for that. Every game means something. Why not sit out a game against an easy team, when you're high-stock as a senior going in? I can see the slippery slope this mentality will have on players.

The team got you to this point. You give to the team. Now, I can understand limiting your playing time against a team you're beating. Treating yourself much like a coach will for a QB. He'll pull the QB to avoid injury if they're far ahead. Stuff like that. So I could see if he has a good but needs-more-experience backup -- yeah, play him more in the latter part of the season when you've got a good lead... and keep him out when you're running away with the game. THAT I can understand.

To sit out a Bowl Game? It slaps Stanford right in the face. They're not playing in the "wtf?" bowl they got cheated out of. They're playing on Dec 30th against UNC.

So for that, I would say -- at most, limit his time on the field. Play the backup more. Reduce those chances. Anything more than that -- you're slapping your team in the Face who got you there.

PS: Makes me think that during practice he may have aggravated something or a minor injury. Instead of sitting out due to it to avoid making it a Bad injury -- which would send question marks about his draft value -- he just says he's doing it purely draft value purposes itself. I have a feeling that could be the Real reason.
12-19-2016 10:37 PM
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

Probably true. Both players have been injured this season.
12-19-2016 11:15 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
I understand the argument of if the coaches can skip town before the bowl game for a new job then why can't some players skip the game to make sure they get drafted.

But I think it's chickensh*t. Walking out on your teammates who you have shed blood, sweat and tears for 4-5 years with you all because you don't want to get hurt? These players should never talk about playing for the team line again. It's all about them
12-20-2016 12:02 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-19-2016 10:37 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  I dunno if I agree with it. If it was NY/BCS bowl, I'd certainly boo him big for that. Every game means something. Why not sit out a game against an easy team, when you're high-stock as a senior going in? I can see the slippery slope this mentality will have on players.

The team got you to this point. You give to the team. Now, I can understand limiting your playing time against a team you're beating. Treating yourself much like a coach will for a QB. He'll pull the QB to avoid injury if they're far ahead. Stuff like that. So I could see if he has a good but needs-more-experience backup -- yeah, play him more in the latter part of the season when you've got a good lead... and keep him out when you're running away with the game. THAT I can understand.

To sit out a Bowl Game? It slaps Stanford right in the face. They're not playing in the "wtf?" bowl they got cheated out of. They're playing on Dec 30th against UNC.

So for that, I would say -- at most, limit his time on the field. Play the backup more. Reduce those chances. Anything more than that -- you're slapping your team in the Face who got you there.

PS: Makes me think that during practice he may have aggravated something or a minor injury. Instead of sitting out due to it to avoid making it a Bad injury -- which would send question marks about his draft value -- he just says he's doing it purely draft value purposes itself. I have a feeling that could be the Real reason.

Agree. It's selfish, and it causes one to wonder how much those guys laid back even during the regular season. Makes me very proud of guys like Mancz, Elliot, Greco, Gradkowski, Moore, Hawkins, Kaczur, Church, and some who don't come to mind at the moment (less a few I intentionally omitted) always played to help the TEAM win.

I haven't seen where playing selfish translates to success in the NFL. It's as team game at that level, too.
12-20-2016 12:05 AM
Advertisement

adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I find it funny all the people here that are ripping the guy that is not playing so that he can protect himself and prepare for his career. Also, Stanford players approved of his decision, so his teammates are definitely on his side.
12-20-2016 06:49 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Page took an entire season off to protect himself and prepare for his career. It worked out really well for him.
12-20-2016 10:01 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I understand the decision, lot of bucks on the line.

But it's a punch in the gut for fans, sure. I'd be bummed if Corey Davis sat out the Cotton Bowl.
12-20-2016 11:10 AM
Advertisement

Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
(12-20-2016 06:49 AM)adunifon Wrote:  I find it funny all the people here that are ripping the guy that is not playing so that he can protect himself and prepare for his career. Also, Stanford players approved of his decision, so his teammates are definitely on his side.

Just because one player tweets that the team supports him doesn't mean the locker room has his back. I'd bet the majority want nothing more to do of him...
12-20-2016 11:13 AM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(12-20-2016 10:01 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  Page took an entire season off to protect himself and prepare for his career. It worked out really well for him.

Lets not compare Eric page to two guys that are likely first (second at worst) round picks.
12-20-2016 03:30 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I thought there was an Oklahoma lineman ( I think defensive line) that did the same thing over a month ago. Did not play in the Oklahoma State game and will not play in the bowl game. At least that is what I remember happening.
12-20-2016 05:58 PM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

12-21-2016 06:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.