Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCR:Blast from the past.
Bookmark and Share
uhmump95 Online
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

Quote:Ex-NFL coach Glanville interviews at Division II school

ABERDEEN, S.D. (AP) -- Jerry Glanville's experience as a National Football League head coach makes him a good prospect for the top coaching job at Northern State University, players said after talking with Glanville this week.

Glanville was in Aberdeen to interview for the job at Northern State, an NCAA Division II program. He is one of four finalists for the post.

Glanville talked with school officials and met with the team, which ended the 2004 season 6-5, including a 5-2 record in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference.

"It was just exciting to have that high-profile of a guy come in and be interested in this position," said Brian Jark, who played his high school football in Aberdeen.

Glanville has coached for four NFL teams, including the Houston Oilers and the Atlanta Falcons. He also has been a sports commentator on television.

"I think when you get here, you go away with a different feeling than before you came," Glanville said in an interview. "Coming here, I didn't know what the strengths were. But after being here for two days, 2 1/2 days, the strength is the people."

Quarterback Toby Korrodi said the team had a good talk with Glanville on Monday.

"He just flat-out told us, you know, 'This is what's going to happen; this is what I expect of the team.' And he's not even our coach yet," Korrodi said.

Defensive player Steven Edwards said he would like to work under Glanville to improve as a player.

"He was the guy that brought Deion Sanders into the league, so being a corner, I'm looking forward to working with him so he can help me develop, help my teammates develop and take us to the next level," Edwards said.

Glanville said he got a good feel for the team during his visit and that there were more plusses than minuses.

The other candidates for the Wolves post are Kyle Achterhoff, offensive coordinator at Northwestern College in Iowa; Lance Leipold, assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at the University of Nebraska-Omaha; and Paul McCord, special teams coach for the Buffalo Bills.

"Whoever comes in will do a great job and just work to make our team the best we can be," Jark said.

Ken Heupel, who was 44-33 overall in seven years as Northern's head coach, announced Jan. 19 that he was stepping down.

I will always have soft spot in my heart for Glanville for the way he brought the Oilers back to respectability. I hope the school colors are black because that is all he wears on the side lines.

I onder if Elvis will show up for a game or too. :laugh:
03-16-2005 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uhmump95 Online
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

Last week he removed himself from consideration from the DII job. Now we know why

Quote:[Image: g_glanville_i.jpg]Glanville figures to upgrade porous defenseBy Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

In a move that figures to provide his defense with the same aggressive mindset that his offense has always possessed, University of Hawaii coach June Jones has hired former NFL head coach Jerry Glanville as his defensive coordinator.

The addition of Glanville, who hasn't coached at any level of the game since the 1993 season, will be officially announced on Tuesday.

Despite his penchant for self-promotion, and a style that generally draws more attention to his well-documented eccentricities than to his team and its performance, Glanville will represent a major upgrade for the Hawaii defense. The unit statistically ranked 117th out of the 118 Division I programs in 2004 and, for Jones to nudge his successful program to the next level, the defense must improve.

Under Jones, a two-time NFL head coach himself, the Hawaii offense typically ranks among the most prolific in the country. Jones still uses the run-and-shoot attack, which features four wide receivers and regularly throws the ball 50-plus times per game, and the high-octane offense has served Hawaii well.

Jones, who turned down a long-term contract from the San Diego Chargers in 1999 to accept the Hawaii job, has compiled a 48-30 record in six seasons and won two straight bowl games. Hawaii posted only 12 wins in the five seasons prior to his arrival. Hawaii opens the 2005 season on Sept. 3 by hosting defending national champion Southern California and travels to Michigan State the following week.

Glanville and Jones have worked together in the NFL before. In fact, Jones succeeded Glanville as the Atlanta Falcons head coach in 1994. The two had not spoken in several years but, when Jones recently read that Glanville was trying to return to the coaching ranks after several seasons as an NFL analyst, he decided to pursue him.

Clearly, Jones feels he can keep Glanville's ego in check. And, if he can, Glanville is certain to set a physical and attacking tone with his defensive schemes.

The hiring of the always colorful Glanville is certain to bring even more attention to a program that Jones rescued from the NCAA scrap heap. More important for Jones, however, is that Glanville will certainly install a blitzing scheme that pressures opponents and creates turnovers. There has never been any denying Glanville's knowledge of the game, or coaching skills, but those elements usually were eclipsed by his personality.

Glanville, 63, posted a 63-73 record as head coach of the Houston Oilers (1985-89) and Atlanta Falcons (1990-93) and took his teams to the playoffs on three occasions. Prior to assuming the head coach job in Houston late in the '85 season, Glanville was a longtime defensive coordinator in the league. Among his accomplishments was the development of the "Grits Blitz" in Atlanta in the 1970s, a high-risk, high-reward scheme that brought rushers from every angle imaginable.

Over the last year or so, Glanville has lobbied for several college openings, but garnered very little interest. Two weeks ago, Glanville interviewed for the head coaching vacancy at Northern State University, a Division II school in Aberdeen, S.D. He subsequently withdrew from consideration for the job, citing another coaching opportunity he declined to identify.
03-29-2005 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.