Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection
Bookmark and Share
troyw Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Troy
Obviously you guys weren't around when the New Orleans Bowl was our only option. Majority of the conference teams would be eliminated from postseason contention halfway through the season which made for a rather boring end. Personally, I am pleased Troy's bowl destiny was not solely determined by winning the conference. Perspective...some have it. 04-cheers
12-05-2016 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
I don't care about bowl selection process but I'm not sure why this post is going to make someone who does care feel less upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-05-2016 07:55 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
RE: To all those complaining about NOLA bowl selection
(12-05-2016 07:54 PM)troyw Wrote:  Obviously you guys weren't around when the New Orleans Bowl was our only option. Majority of the conference teams would be eliminated from postseason contention halfway through the season which made for a rather boring end. Personally, I am pleased Troy's bowl destiny was not solely determined by winning the conference. Perspective...some have it. 04-cheers

You're exactly right. Now if we're going to be matched with a 6-6 CUSA team there's no reason for them to have first choice.
12-05-2016 08:18 PM
Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I Root For: App State
(12-05-2016 07:54 PM)troyw Wrote:  Obviously you guys weren't around when the New Orleans Bowl was our only option. Majority of the conference teams would be eliminated from postseason contention halfway through the season which made for a rather boring end. Personally, I am pleased Troy's bowl destiny was not solely determined by winning the conference. Perspective...some have it. 04-cheers

This is one of several reasons I'm glad App joined the Sun Belt in 2014 instead of 2001. Potentially going 9-3 like Troy did and not making a bowl game would be awful. App was so much better off in the 2000's competing for FCS titles.
12-05-2016 08:20 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

The complaining isnt about the NOLA bowl, it's about the overall process, they just happen to pick first. Reading is fun.
12-05-2016 08:50 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(12-05-2016 08:20 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

This is one of several reasons I'm glad App joined the Sun Belt in 2014 instead of 2001. Potentially going 9-3 like Troy did and not making a bowl game would be awful. App was so much better off in the 2000's competing for FCS titles.

We went 8-4 in 2007 (Co-Champs) and Didn't go to a bowl game...

We had a Win over Oklahoma State that same year.

2013 we had a 6-6 year and also miss a bowl.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 09:21 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
12-05-2016 09:12 PM
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

(12-05-2016 09:12 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  

That is so wrong. Such a shame for those players. This conference is waaaaay better off than it was back then, and the access to bowl games is one of the reasons.

That said, I think it's a fair topic to discuss whether the bowl selection process is the best it can be. It's obviously better than it was several years ago, but can it be better? That's perfectly debatable.
12-05-2016 09:20 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-05-2016 09:20 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 09:12 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  

That is so wrong. Such a shame for those players. This conference is waaaaay better off than it was back then, and the access to bowl games is one of the reasons.

That said, I think it's a fair topic to discuss whether the bowl selection process is the best it can be. It's obviously better than it was several years ago, but can it be better? That's perfectly debatable.
In a perfect world with no financial consequence...possibly but we don't hav TV money pouring out our ears. We have to take money into account on every decision we make as a conference or the gap will continue to widen with every financial mistake we make. We got more bowls because other people saw an opportunity to make money. If we quit making them money they go away.
12-05-2016 09:34 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Who's complaining about the NOLA bowl selection?

I mean, it's a no brainer... The Cajuns have filled that bowl many times over. It is in a town that has many Cajun fans.

Can someone explain why there's an issue here? I mean, I could understand if the Cajuns were 5-7 and got selected over a team with more wins... But that is not the case.
12-05-2016 09:45 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
SunBelt Network by ESPN or even Fox Sports?? Optional package for DirectTV or Dish. I can see it now! We would be Big 12 rich!! Lol, kidding, about all of it.

Really though with NOLA only having a 500k payout compared to DG Bowl having 750k and it's less travel cost (well a little but still ) I'm cool with it. Plus we've already beat USM. I would not want to see us play them again just in New Orleans..
12-05-2016 09:51 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(12-05-2016 09:45 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Who's complaining about the NOLA bowl selection?

I mean, it's a no brainer... The Cajuns have filled that bowl many times over. It is in a town that has many Cajun fans.

Can someone explain why there's an issue here? I mean, I could understand if the Cajuns were 5-7 and got selected over a team with more wins... But that is not the case.

I don't have a big issue with it...HOWEVER it needs to be restructured, New Orleans bowl doesn't need to have 1st pick when the CUSA gets like 5th pick and many times its a 6-6 CUSA team....Either make the Nola bowl our 3rd pick or bump up the picking order in CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 09:55 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
12-05-2016 09:55 PM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

Ok, so you're displeased with the level of the opponent... I can see that.

How long are we locked into the current contract with NOLA?

More to the point, if we try to argue with NOLA, who are we ready to replace them with?

Those are the big questions.
12-05-2016 09:58 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2016 09:55 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Either make the Nola bowl our 3rd pick or bump up the picking order in CUSA.

Exactly. I enjoy the thoughts of the DG and Camellia bowl because they're almost guaranteed to be either 1/2 or 2/3 of the MAC. A mid-level CUSA team shouldn't matter. Unless that team is Marshall. I'd really enjoy going to NO to watch that beat down of the Herd
12-05-2016 09:59 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

The last 3rd or 4th place cusa team destroyed our champion in the Nola bowl...we beat 2 MWC and 2 AAC schools in our 4 games. It only been a cusa school once in the last 6 years.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 10:14 PM by Louisiana99.)
12-05-2016 10:10 PM
CAJUNCOUNTRY Offline
Special Teams

NOB picks first because when we had no bowls they gave us a chance, then came the DG bowl and so on. After you factor in the loyalty to the SBC they deserve to pick whom they want. They don't pay much and are in the business to make money. I can see why other school would be upset over them choosing LA over conference champs but I ask App and A-State fans would you really rather be in New Orleans playing a 6-6 USM team. Why doesn't anyone have a heartburn over Troy in Mobile?
12-05-2016 11:14 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

Seems like it worked out great:

Sun Belt rep: 6-6
CUSA rep: 6-6

If the Cajuns were 10-2 or 11-1 or something like that, I could see the problem. But it seems like this year, everything lined up perfectly.
12-05-2016 11:30 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(12-05-2016 09:45 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Who's complaining about the NOLA bowl selection?

Because teams will end up in Arizona simply because one of 'our' bowls is really the property of one team. I'm not mad about this year....I just see it as a general problem. For USA, we have TWO bowls that we cannot participate in, regardless of our record....The New Orleans Bowl and the Dollar General. Its good that the Camellia likes us.

Sure, its better than not bowling, but still...we could get another, equitable bowl slot if we jettisoned a bowl that isn't working with the conference.

I still think that 2 times in 5 years should be the limit unless there's a exceptional reason to do so. This year, the NO Bowl has a local team (USM is actually closer to New Orleans than ULL). Let ULL go somewhere else for a change. An App/USM match would be well attended. Why should App be limited in their bowl options simply because the conference has a bowl that doesn't really work with the conference. ULL has played in that bowl the last FIVE times they've been bowl eligible. Five out of the last six years. Add up the fact that the other good bowl in the conference won't take one team (USA) and has a decided preference for a particular team (Ark State), then there's a real problem developing.

For Texas State, there's a problem. You guys want to go to the 'no one will see it bowl' at the business end of a 1000 dollar airfare simply because the conference won't establish a protocol for bowl slots. Other conferences do that.

The dynamic has changed. Its good that we've gone from not enough slots to inequitable slots, but that doesn't mean we can't work on equitable treatment.

---

Easy enough to fix.

1) No bowl can take a team more than 2 times in a five year period, unless there's a waiver. This guarantees that at least THREE different teams will play in a particular bowl in a five year period.
2) Teams that finish first or second should be placed prior to six win teams (subject to the constraint above). And no, playing UCF in a road game or going to Arizona isn't going to be considered to be placing prior to the DG or the NO Bowl.
3) No bowl can effectively ban any teams in the conference
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 12:47 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
12-06-2016 12:39 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2016 12:39 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Because teams will end up in Arizona simply because one of 'our' bowls is really the property of one team. I'm not mad about this year....I just see it as a general problem. For USA, we have TWO bowls that we cannot participate in, regardless of our record....The New Orleans Bowl and the Dollar General. Its good that the Camellia likes us.

Sure, its better than not bowling, but still...we could get another, equitable bowl slot if we jettisoned a bowl that isn't working with the conference.

I still think that 2 times in 5 years should be the limit unless there's a exceptional reason to do so. This year, the NO Bowl has a local team (USM is actually closer to New Orleans than ULL). Let ULL go somewhere else for a change. An App/USM match would be well attended. Why should App be limited in their bowl options simply because the conference has a bowl that doesn't really work with the conference. ULL has played in that bowl the last FIVE times they've been bowl eligible. Five out of the last six years. Add up the fact that the other good bowl in the conference won't take one team (USA) and has a decided preference for a particular team (Ark State), then there's a real problem developing.

For Texas State, there's a problem. You guys want to go to the 'no one will see it bowl' at the business end of a 1000 dollar airfare simply because the conference won't establish a protocol for bowl slots. Other conferences do that.

The dynamic has changed. Its good that we've gone from not enough slots to inequitable slots, but that doesn't mean we can't work on equitable treatment.

---

Easy enough to fix.

1) No bowl can take a team more than 2 times in a five year period, unless there's a waiver. This guarantees that at least THREE different teams will play in a particular bowl in a five year period.
2) Teams that finish first or second should be placed prior to six win teams (subject to the constraint above). And no, playing UCF in a road game or going to Arizona isn't going to be considered to be placing prior to the DG or the NO Bowl.

And to that, I say (no offense but) up yours. For a South Alabama fan to be complaining about not having access to a bowl because they chose someone closer... Well, that's just downright mean.
12-06-2016 12:55 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(12-06-2016 12:55 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

---

Easy enough to fix.

And to that, I say (no offense but) up yours. For a South Alabama fan to be complaining about not having access to a bowl because they chose someone closer... Well, that's just downright mean.

The dynamic is far different than three years ago. You guys did get robbed. But I'm not sure your anger is properly placed. But we did beat you guys and had an equal number of FBS wins. I see your anger and understand. But there was an argument.

To be clear, I'm not mad about going to Arizona this year. But I understand that the conference has TWO bowls that basically won't take us, even if we won 10 games. And I see it as a problem.

But the precise reason you're upset is EXACTLY why Texas State should understand that a change would protect them. Placing limits on bowls picking favorites (especially geographic favorites) over teams that earned it will help you guys.

As things stand right now

The New Orleans Bowl will not pick you, regardless of your record, if ULL is available. And that's the closest bowl to you guys.
The Dollar General Bowl will not pick you, if Arkansas State or Troy are available. And probably if App or Ga Southern are available. And that's the second closest bowl to you guys.
Camellia Bowl? Troy or USA are going to be picked before Texas State.
Cure Bowl? Sorry...they'd rather have an Eastern team

So where does that leave a bowl eligible Texas State with say 8 or 9 wins? Arizona in a game that isn't that close to you and is barely televised. And Tucson is further away from Texas State than Mobile, Montgomery, and New Orleans. And you guys are largely locked out of all three of those bowls.

If the system doesn't change. USA will be forever relegated to the Camellia, Cure, or Arizona. And Texas and Georgia State will only see the Cure or the Arizona. ULM? Hope you like Arizona.

By the way, Ga State is probably in the same boat as Texas State.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 01:14 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
12-06-2016 01:03 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(12-06-2016 01:03 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 12:55 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

---

Easy enough to fix.

The dynamic is far different than three years ago. You guys did get robbed. I'm not sure your anger is properly placed. But we did beat you guys and had an equal number of FBS wins. I see you anger and understand. But there was an argument.

To be clear, I'm not mad about going to Arizona this year. But I understand that the conference has TWO bowls that basically won't take us, even if we won 10 games.

But the precise reason you're upset is EXACTLY why Texas State should understand that a change would protect them. Placing limits on bowls picking favorites (especially geographic favorites) over teams that earned it will help you guys.

As things stand right now

The New Orleans Bowl will not pick you, regardless of your record, if ULL is available.
The Dollar General Bowl will not pick you, if Arkansas State or Troy are available. And probably if App or Ga Southern are available
Camellia Bowl? Troy or USA are going to be picked before Texas State.
Cure Bowl? Sorry...they'd rather have an Eastern team

So where does that leave a bowl eligible Texas State with say 8 or 9 wins? Arizona in a game that isn't that close to you and is barely televised.

Well, Thank Gawd we've got 2 or 3 years to fix the problem . . . . Probably be at least that long before we sniff 6 or more wins again . . .

But to your point, Yeah, Bowl criteria . . not necessarily a bad thing . . .
12-06-2016 01:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.