WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So if Navy gets Cotton Bowl...
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
So if Navy gets Cotton Bowl...
Does that mean we go to the Potato Bowl against Boise?
11-30-2016 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Doo Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: So if Navy gets Cotton Bowl...
We can hope for that...but I'm guessing the Dollar General Bowl would be quite upset about that since they are in "practice" our defacto champ bowl.
11-30-2016 02:04 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(11-30-2016 01:23 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  Does that mean we go to the Potato Bowl against Boise?

I really hope, and being fair, that both WMU and Navy are treated fairly.

One of these two teams could be hung out to dry if the CFP selection process gets crazy after Saturday.

IF Western doesn't get to the Cotton Bowl, I hope a meeting with say Boise in Boise could be arranged.

But how do the Boise folks do it? You might get Western or you might get CMU (not meant as a knock but one is now 12 - 0 while the other is 6 - 6). Does Boise agree to take the 'best available MAC teams, which could be WMU or CMU).

Does Boise want to play a 6 - 6 team?

I would think they'd be happy to play WMU if the Broncos doesn't go to the Cotton Bowl. That would be a marque G5 matchup, maybe the best of the 2016 bowl season.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 03:00 PM by emu steve.)
11-30-2016 02:22 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(11-30-2016 02:22 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 01:23 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  Does that mean we go to the Potato Bowl against Boise?

I really hope, and being fair, that both WMU and Navy are treated fairly.

One of these two teams could be hung out to dry if the CFP selection process gets crazy after Saturday.

IF Western doesn't get to the Cotton Bowl, I hope a meeting with say Boise in Boise could be arranged.

But how do the Boise folks do it? You might get Western or you might get CMU (not meant as a knock but one is now 11 - 0 while the other is 6 - 6). Does Boise agree to take the 'best available MAC teams, which could be WMU or CMU).

Does Boise want to play a 6 - 6 team?

I would think they'd be happy to play WMU if the Broncos doesn't go to the Cotton Bowl. That would be a marque G5 matchup, maybe the best of the 2016 bowl season.

I appreciate your comments, however, sending an undefeated conference champion to play in Boise, in December, against Boise, is hardly fair.

WMU played in Boise two years ago.
11-30-2016 02:29 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Nice opponent, but it'd be the 3rd far-flung, inconvenient destination in a row. I'd prefer not.

It's probably Dollar General if we beat Ohio and don't get the Cotton (I believe it's contractually set up that way). I hear Mobile is nice, although I'd privately hope for Miami Beach Bowl.
11-30-2016 02:35 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

P.S. I wonder if the MAC and Boise folks are talking: IF WMU doesn't get a Cotton Bowl game will you give them a top flight opponent like Boise or SDSU? What if WMU goes to the Cotton Bowl, would you want Toledo to play say Boise or SDSU?

Even though fans don't like Boise because of the difficult location and weather, a Boise (or SDSU) game vs. WMU or TOL would be a good game for the schools and television.
11-30-2016 02:46 PM
Advertisement

Potro Offline
2nd String

If WMU wins the MACC and Navy gets the Cotton Bowl...... WMU gets the shaft. As the only undefeated G5 conference champ we should get the bid.

I would rather not play Boise in Boise. Already played a bowl game on the opponents home field and don't care to go there again.
11-30-2016 03:03 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-30-2016 02:35 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  

Nice opponent, but it'd be the 3rd far-flung, inconvenient destination in a row. I'd prefer not.

It's probably Dollar General if we beat Ohio and don't get the Cotton (I believe it's contractually set up that way). I hear Mobile is nice, although I'd privately hope for Miami Beach Bowl.

But who would be the opponent?

The idea, I assume, is to get the 'best' matchup. For EMU and ODU it was two teams who haven't been to a bowl game in 29 years (EMU) and a new kid on the block who has never been.

For WMU, it is to get a marque opponent. There would be a very good AAC opponent in Miami.

IF WMU doesn't get the Cotton Bowl, how about being offered to the Poinsetia Bowl vs. BYU or even back at Ford Field probably against a 2nd tier B1G team.

Aren't both Alabama bowls vs. Sun Belt teams?

With a 12 - 0 team, I assume Western wants to play in the Cotton Bowl, or vs. BYU or maybe Boise or SDSU or a B1G team or the best available AAC team.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 03:07 PM by emu steve.)
11-30-2016 03:03 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

"Negotiations would make Western Michigan eligible for more big bowls if not in Cotton"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footbal...in-cotton/
11-30-2016 04:30 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/foot...ac-12-team

How about Western to Las Vegas Bowl to replace a Pac-12 team (which can't fill)?

They could face S.D.S.U or Boise or Wyoming.
11-30-2016 05:32 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-30-2016 04:30 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  "Negotiations would make Western Michigan eligible for more big bowls if not in Cotton"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footbal...in-cotton/

I like the gist of that article, namely, IF WMU doesn't get the Cotton Bowl, ESPN which OWNS a lot of bowls will try to get a dream G5 or G5/P5 matchup with WMU.

ESPN (and the MAC) do NOT want WMU playing a no name opponent. What a waste of a great season.

Everyone at WMU, MAC, and ESPN are thinking big, very big, for WMU.
11-30-2016 05:35 PM
Advertisement

rsswmu Offline
1st String

I Root For: wmu
Tbh it will be a major let down if we don't get the cotton bowl I might be inclined to stop watching cfb till they fix this system well other then wmu games.
11-30-2016 05:37 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-30-2016 05:37 PM)rsswmu Wrote:  Tbh it will be a major let down if we don't get the cotton bowl I might be inclined to stop watching cfb till they fix this system well other then wmu games.

I hear you, but if WMU goes to the Las Vegas Bowl vs. the MWC champ that is still a good consolation prize.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/foot...ac-12-team

I believe WYO plays S.D.S.U and if it is S.D.S.U, they are a very good team and a champ in their own right.

It's not the David vs. Goliath match-up folks dream, but it would be a fair champ vs. champ match-up.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 05:54 PM by emu steve.)
11-30-2016 05:44 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Or think of this scenario (I know, a nightmare) but WMU (and Navy) both lose this weekend.

Navy is committed to the Armed Forces Bowl and the other side appears to be open.

It could be WMU vs. Navy.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/coll...10743.html
11-30-2016 05:47 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, I'm still convinced a good WMU win Friday night ends all of this discussion.

I find it impossible to believe that an undefeated team would be shutout of the Cotton Bowl.

I could see a discussion of a 13 - 0 MAC team vs. a 11 - 2 B1G team (how do you compare apples and oranges), but hey Navy is G5, like WMU.
11-30-2016 05:53 PM
New School Bronco Offline
1st String

It's all about $ and tv ratings! They believe Navy will bring a bigger crowd and better ratings. Hence why most of us see the writing on the wall!
11-30-2016 05:57 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
If we don't beat Ohio, or, by some crazier reason we don't get to the Cotton Underpants Bowl if we do -- I would rather play in Detroit with a vacancy. Yes, going against the contract if we beat Ohio. Screw that! Playing Boise @Boise? I wouldn't want that. If we lose to Ohio though, I could see us deserving that, and a way to make up for the loss.
11-30-2016 06:02 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, I haven't following this as closely as you Broncs, here, but is UofM a possibility in the Cotton Bowl?
11-30-2016 06:06 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

(11-30-2016 06:06 PM)emu steve Wrote:  BTW, I haven't following this as closely as you Broncs, here, but is UofM a possibility in the Cotton Bowl?

Dream matchup but I don't think it would happen. I think UofM would go to one of the other NY6 bowls.

I would love to play Michigan and beat them. Love to have Cory Davis and our RB out run Mr. Peppers and watch Harbaugh come up with some excuse.
11-30-2016 06:11 PM
New School Bronco Offline
1st String

(11-30-2016 06:06 PM)emu steve Wrote:  BTW, I haven't following this as closely as you Broncs, here, but is UofM a possibility in the Cotton Bowl?

From most projections they have them going to the Rose
11-30-2016 06:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.