ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

David Washington
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
David Washington
His willingness to do whatever the team needs in order to win makes him a favorite. He has excelled this year, and throughout his career, at protecting the ball. David's TD/INT ratio is crazy good. This season 26/3, career 38/6. He is also prett accurate with his passes. His completion percentage this season 60.1%, career 60.2%.

At 6'3" he has good size. Do you think he will get some serious looks at the next level? I think he has to be intriguing to at least a couple of teams.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 11:02 AM by paintedblue2.)
11-20-2016 10:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
David Washington
If not at QB I could totally see him at WR. He is a hell of an athlete and rose to our #1 receiver when he made the switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-20-2016 11:00 AM
N2theBlue Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: David Washington
(11-20-2016 10:55 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  His willingness to do whatever the team needs in order to win makes him a favorite. He has excelled this year, and throughout his career, at protecting the ball. David's TD/INT ratio is crazy good. season 26/3, career 38/6. He is also prett accurate with his passes. His completion percentage this season 60.1%, career 60.2%.

At 6'3" he has good size. Do you think he will get some serious looks at the next level? I think he has to be intriguing to at least a couple of teams.

I think he will get some looks as a receiver, but not as a QB.
11-20-2016 11:01 AM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(11-20-2016 10:55 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  His willingness to do whatever the team needs in order to win makes him a favorite. He has excelled this year, and throughout his career, at protecting the ball. David's TD/INT ratio is crazy good. season 26/3, career 38/6. He is also prett accurate with his passes. His completion percentage this season 60.1%, career 60.2%.

I am sure there were many others over the years, But DW is right up there with DeMarco, Heinicke, Wilkins, Mayers, and Born as exceptional players with exceptional attitudes. Pardon the cliche, but all of the aforementioned left it all on the field.

I think DW could indeed get a serious look. He is kind of the Richard Ross of the football program, a pure athlete.
I would expect him to get looks, maybe as a QB, but especially as a potential DB.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 11:09 AM by ODUalum78.)
11-20-2016 11:08 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

He will not get looks as a QB. I hope he gets an invite to camp to remind teams he is a good wide receiver. I hope he focuses on that over the off season.

We really need to cheer him on, he took one for the team moving back to QB and has battled injuries. Really looking forward to cheering him on for senior day.

This isn't meant to knock DW as a passer......he led us to at least 8 wins. But, they also do a good job protecting him with safe passes and use him passing on running downs to give him favorable matchups. They play safe on standard passing downs in an effort to cut down on turnovers and take advantage of our strong running game. He has done an excellent job of putting the ball up where only the WR can catch it (big, tall WRs) and throws the ball away. That is why the completion percentage is a bit low for great college QBs.

But that TD/INT ratio says a lot. He has shot up the CUSA QB ratings for sure.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 11:36 AM by Gilesfan.)
11-20-2016 11:08 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

He's not going to be a defensive back. He doesn't have the body type to be a defensive back and lacks the fluid hips an NFL defensive back would have.

I am intrigued to see how he grades out on the pro day. Some team just needs to give him a shot and maybe put him on the PS for a year or 2.
11-20-2016 11:09 AM
Advertisement

djnva Offline
All American

Washington has a better TD/INT ratio than Heinicke did in FBS.
11-20-2016 11:22 AM
ziggy1 Offline
Special Teams

(11-20-2016 11:08 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  He will not get looks as a QB. I hope he gets an invite to camp to remind teams he is a good wide receiver. I hope he focuses on that over the off season.

We really need to cheer him on, he took one of the team moving back to QB and has battled injuries. Really looking forward to cheering him on for senior day.

This isn't meant to knock DW as a passer......he led us to at least 8 wins. But, they also do a good job protecting him with safe passes and use him passing on running downs to give him favorable matchups. They play safe on standard passing downs in an effort to cut down on turnovers and take advantage of our strong running game. He has done an excellent job of putting the ball up where only the WR can catch it (big, tall WRs) and throws the ball away. That is why the completion percentage is a bit low for great college QBs.

Confused.
Why wouldn't David get a serious look at QB if he can do what you claim he is capable of doing so well?
11-20-2016 11:31 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2016 11:31 AM)ziggy1 Wrote:  
(11-20-2016 11:08 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  He will not get looks as a QB. I hope he gets an invite to camp to remind teams he is a good wide receiver. I hope he focuses on that over the off season.

We really need to cheer him on, he took one of the team moving back to QB and has battled injuries. Really looking forward to cheering him on for senior day.

Confused.
Why wouldn't David get a serious look at QB if he can do what you claim he is capable of doing so well?

His delivery is too slow. Doesn't throw with anticipation or make the throws into tight windows that an NFL QB needs to make.

Look at Doughty's numbers last year and he was a 7th round pick.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 11:44 AM by Gilesfan.)
11-20-2016 11:37 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2016 11:22 AM)djnva Wrote:  Washington has a better TD/INT ratio than Heinicke did in FBS.

Yeah, but much better team as well. Washington has a great running game to assist him and isn't asked to score a td every time they got the ball like Heinicke had to do.

But, we have been very fortunate at QB in our school history. The offensive coaches deserve a ton of recognition.
11-20-2016 11:39 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

DW is the 80th rated QB on nfldraftscout.com. This basically means that he is not even on anybody's radar. If a scout or scouts do take notice in the next week through the bowl game, there likely is only a very small chance that he will be an undrafted free agent or be invited to come to camp. You never know, but I believe his chances are really slim. As a side note, his knee has to be a major concern also.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/pro...artspot=70
11-20-2016 11:47 AM
Advertisement

FantomVII Offline
2nd String

From what Harry Minimum says, they are looking at him for WR.
11-20-2016 11:53 AM
ziggy1 Offline
Special Teams

(11-20-2016 11:39 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(11-20-2016 11:22 AM)djnva Wrote:  Washington has a better TD/INT ratio than Heinicke did in FBS.

Yeah, but much better team as well. Washington has a great running game to assist him and isn't asked to score a td every time they got the ball like Heinicke had to do.

But, we have been very fortunate at QB in our school history. The offensive coaches deserve a ton of recognition.

I usually respect your opinion, but not so much on this point about DW. Throughout majority of David's career here at ODU, seems he never really was a recipient of overwhelming support as a very capable QB. A clear evidence was when he was asked to switch to WR in the hopes that Schuler B. was better and heir apparent to Heinickie. Glad he gracefully accepted to resume his QB role. Just as much as Coach Wilder has developed a system David is able to thrive in, I trust coaches at the next level are just as smart to see ways he may be able to excel in. I am not in anyway suggesting that DW is a legit NFL QB caliber, I just hate seeing continued underestimation of David Washington's abilities.
Thank You for all the great performances, David, Zach, and all Seniors. I hope I'll be able to come to the last home game this Saturday. Go Monarchs!
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 12:03 PM by ziggy1.)
11-20-2016 12:02 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(11-20-2016 12:02 PM)ziggy1 Wrote:  

I usually respect your opinion, but not so much on this point about DW. Throughout majority of David's career here at ODU, seems he never really was a recipient of overwhelming support as a very capable QB. A clear evidence was when he was asked to switch to WR in the hopes that Schuler B. was better and heir apparent to Heinickie. Glad he gracefully accepted to resume his QB role. Just as much as Coach Wilder has developed a system David is able to thrive in, I trust coaches at the next level are just as smart to see ways he may be able to excel in. I am not in anyway suggesting that DW is a legit NFL QB caliber, I just hate seeing continued underestimation of David Washington's abilities.
Thank You for all the great performances, David, Zach, and all Seniors. I hope I'll be able to come to the last home game this Saturday. Go Monarchs!

Indeed.
DW has a run game, but It could also be argued that TH had a better OL to work with than David has ever had.
Relativistically speaking, TH certainly had a far better OL with respect to FCS competition.

I had two (in public) conversations with Brian Scott, and in both cases he was very high on DW, in the first he said we would see very little drop off from TH, as DW was "a big, strong, and very smart kid".

In the second, the implication (my impression) was that our incoming "stars", Caleb Wilson (Rivals 2 star) and Shuler Bentley (Rivals 2 star), likely would not supplant DW during his time at ODU.

Remember too that although an FCS recruit, David Washington was a Rivals Three Star.

I think the coaches got it right the first time, and fixed it in time.
04-cheers
11-20-2016 12:25 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2016 12:02 PM)ziggy1 Wrote:  

I certainly commend David. He understood when he moved back from WR to QB, it was a position he was less likely to succeed at the next level, but did so anyways.

DW is a fantastic college QB. He does a great job of avoiding the pass rush and throwing the ball up to his WRs. They have created a system that he can excel at on the college level. In the NFL, it is far more difficult. They are able to scout tendencies and expose weaknesses. DW just isn't the type (partially due to lack of experience) to take his drop, scan the field, and choose options other than his number 1 WR. Maybe with extensive work, he could improve, but there are too many QBs that are further developed. As a WR, he actually has a shot.
11-20-2016 01:55 PM
ODU Hoops Offline
Special Teams

David Washington
I think it is great that David was willing to switch back to QB when we needed him, even if his best NFL prospects are at WR.

However, let's not make it sound like that huge of a deal. My guess is that he wanted to play QB. For those of you that played baseball or football, didn't you want to play pitcher or QB? You want the ball in your hands on every play if you are a seriously competitive athlete. I was probably a better infielder in baseball but wanted to play pitcher or catcher so I was involved in every play.

If David is an NFL player, they will find him. Think about Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates who were college basketball players and excelled at TE in the NFL.

Best wishes to a great end of the season for David and the rest of the Monarchs!
11-20-2016 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

You are underselling it, imo. DW was developing as an NFL caliber WR, which would set up his family for the rest of his life. He wasn't even really practicing QB. So they ask him to lower his chances of playing in the NFL to play a position no one even really knew he would succeed in and one that he hadn't practiced much for a year and a half.

While the NFL "found" a few guys, there are many others that they haven't found. DW really wasn't on the radar much (being a soph in a G5 conference). There are hundreds of WRs with his size and speed. He sacrificed himself and lost a year and a half of development at WR.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 02:36 PM by Gilesfan.)
11-20-2016 02:35 PM
ODU Hoops Offline
Special Teams

David Washington
(11-20-2016 02:35 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  You are underselling it, imo. DW was developing as an NFL caliber WR, which would set up his family for the rest of his life. He wasn't even really practicing QB. So they ask him to lower his chances of playing in the NFL to play a position no one even really knew he would succeed in and one that he hadn't practiced much for a year and a half.

While the NFL "found" a few guys, there are many others that they haven't found. DW really wasn't on the radar much (being a soph in a G5 conference). There are hundreds of WRs with his size and speed. He sacrificed himself and lost a year and a half of development at WR.

Call the coaches show and ask if David wanted to play QB or WR.

Do you think Gates, Gonzalez and others were on NFL radars throughout their college basketball careers? Come on.

Have you considered that the people throwing David the ball if he was playing wide receiver might not have given him the stats or opportunity to shine? He is going to get a look, don't worry.
11-20-2016 02:58 PM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

He's been phenomenal.
11-20-2016 03:10 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(11-20-2016 02:28 PM)ODU Hoops Wrote:  I think it is great that David was willing to switch back to QB when we needed him, even if his best NFL prospects are at WR.

However, let's not make it sound like that huge of a deal. My guess is that he wanted to play QB. For those of you that played baseball or football, didn't you want to play pitcher or QB? You want the ball in your hands on every play if you are a seriously competitive athlete. I was probably a better infielder in baseball but wanted to play pitcher or catcher so I was involved in every play.

If David is an NFL player, they will find him. Think about Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates who were college basketball players and excelled at TE in the NFL.

Best wishes to a great end of the season for David and the rest of the Monarchs!

+1
04-cheers
11-20-2016 03:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.