ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WBB Game 2 vs William and Mary (1-1)
A view from the stands Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ODU
WBB Game 2 vs William and Mary (1-1)
Comfort food. It's the food that makes you feel good. Like Mac & Cheese or your grandma's chicken noodle soup. For ODU, William and Mary is just like comfort food. We have a long history of playing the Tribe. Our first meeting was on March 25th, 1931. That was 85 years ago. So yeah we know W&M. Out of the 91 games we have played against them, ODU has won 71 of them. 78% winning percentage...you have to like those odds of ODU's success.

Of course if there is anything that we should feel against this year's William and Mary team is comfortable In the KB era, we are 3-2 against W&M and we lost last season on the road. And the Tribe is coming off a very impressive win against Richmond.

Williams & Mary 67, Richmond 39. For the game the Spiders had 13 turnovers (to four assists) and shot 23.5% from the floor (12-for-51). Richmond's head coach Michael Shafer is known for teaching players good fundamentals so to see this type of performance is surprising to say the least. Plus Richmond was coming off a seven point loss to UVA on Wednesday. William & Mary played strong defense from start to finish.

We have to take this Tribe seriously because they can play.

William and Mary Schedule so far
vs St John's L 57-73.
Vs Richmond W 67-39

Tribe Starting Five
#13 Marlena Tremba 5'9" G Sr 13.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 5.0 apg, 1.5 tpg, 36.8 FG%, 28.6 3P%, 88.9 FT%, 35.5 mpg
#11 Alexandra Masaquel 5'10" F Sr 10.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 0.5 apg, 5 spg, 42.9 FG%, 60.0 FT%, 29.5 mpg
#24 Abby Rendle 6'4" Jr C 9.0 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1 apg, 3 bpg, 31.8 FG%, 1.000 FT%, 26.0 mpg
#02 Bianca Boggs 5'8" So G 8.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 2.5 tpg, 38.5 FG%, 25.0 3P%, 6 1.000 FT%, 20.5 mpg
#12 Jenna Green 5'7" Jr G 4.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 5 apg, 4.5 tpg, 36.4 apg, 0.00 FT%, 28.5 mpg
Top Bench
#30 Victoria Reynolds 5'10" F Fr 7.5 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.0 apg, 71.4 FG%, 83.3 FT%, 20.0 mpg
#04 Jeanne Gaumont 6'0" G/F Jr 4.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.0 apg, 66.7 FG%, 33.3 3P%, 12.0 mpg

It's a fun team. They have two starters (Tremba and Green) who average five assists a piece. So they are always looking to get others involved. Rendle is there big presence down low. From beyond the arc, Tremba and Gaumont are the main threats. Offensively they aren't a big challenge, but they are defensive team on the inside with strong FT% skills. They are vulnerable to outside shooting.

.......W&M.....ODU
PPG.....62.0....65.0
OPPG...56.0....54.0
FG%....39.8....39.7
OFG%..39.4....30.9
3P%.....19.4....21.4
O3P%...34.5....21.4
3PGM....3.0......3.0
FT%......87.5....70.6
FTMPG...14.0.....12.0
APG.......16.0....16.0
TPG.......15.0....15.0
Ast/TO margin
SPG..........8.5.....4.0
BPG..........6.5.....5.0

Playing against W&M will get us used to playing a team with a 6'4" center that is talented. Problem is against Duke they start two players that are 6'4", in addition to their all ACC shooting guard, 6'1" Rebecca Greenwood. But we can worry about them after Sunday....

ODU needs to play all four quarters against the Tribe. If we have a meltdown like we did in the second quarter against NSU, it could be a long night for us. We haven't lost to the Tribe on our own home court under KB and she doesn't intend to start today. Look for KB to continue to play players and give them minutes.

And maybe we will have a Big Blue sighting this Sunday as well.
11-19-2016 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ziggy1 Offline
Special Teams

RE: WBB Game 2 vs William and Mary (1-1)
32-24 W&M at the haif.
Not a good showing so far by the ladies.
Hope they turn things around in the second half.
11-20-2016 02:48 PM
ODUguy1999 Offline
Bench Warmer

Karen would make a good asst coach that recruits well and is very positive attitude but she needs many years of x and o training under a real coach. Her coaching strategy is to have one high scoring/high shot taking type player who scores surrounded by a cast of talented but uncoached players. Seriously like her but she is not getting it done for the Lady Monarchs, too much history is being lost here.
11-20-2016 02:58 PM
ziggy1 Offline
Special Teams

Watching the ladies play, couldn't tell you if there are any planned and choreographed set plays other than what you just described. Can't afford to lose these games, and although I agree with the sentiment of your post, I also believe it's too early in the season to go sour on Karen.
11-20-2016 03:09 PM
ODUguy1999 Offline
Bench Warmer

Losing to William & Mary at home is unforgiveable, especially with all the highly rated players we have. It will not get any better as we head to Duke who will easily beat this team by 50 points. We are talking about a storied program that has lost to lowly William & Mary and barely beat NSU on our own home floor, ateast under Wendy Larry when we lost we would have a top 10 SOS. If this was the men's program and they had half the history the ladies did we would all demand action to correct the further fall of this program. I love all my ODU teams, but when this team loses to weak teams that never beat us, I just can't forgive it and have to vocalize. We should be able to easily beat teams like NSU and WM at the Ted or on the road, it is not too much to ask for.
11-20-2016 04:44 PM
HickoryMonarch Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(11-20-2016 03:09 PM)ziggy1 Wrote:  Watching the ladies play, couldn't tell you if there are any planned and choreographed set plays other than what you just described. Can't afford to lose these games, and although I agree with the sentiment of your post, I also believe it's too early in the season to go sour on Karen.

If it were just this game maybe we could cut her some slack, but it has been the same story from her first season.. Face it she is not a D1 head coach. Her in game coaching and understanding of the game of basketball are atrocious. Her teams are not getting better despite her supposed recruiting prowess. Beyond that notice the apathy and declining attendance occurring in the program. I had season tickets since 1988 (not including my time as a student), but did not renew them last year because it is not entertaining to watch, plus it is frustrating to watch her coach poorly and then listen to excuse after excuse.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 04:50 PM by HickoryMonarch.)
11-20-2016 04:46 PM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
An 11 point loss at home to W&M is beyond unacceptable.
03-puke
11-20-2016 04:57 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I think the heat is about to be turned up. There is simply no organization or discipline on this Team. I would have thought Corrigan could have really helped with X's and O's but I guess not. This is a horrible unacceptable loss. This loss might be tough to survive.
11-20-2016 06:04 PM
seabee Offline
Water Engineer

out coached and out played
11-20-2016 06:23 PM
djnva Offline
All American

Par for the course. We struggled to beat NSU and lost to W&M.

We have way to many "who should we fire" threads here, but we need another.
11-20-2016 07:42 PM
A view from the stands Offline
Bench Warmer

Tonight was something historical. ODU losing at home against W&M. I tried going through all the stats since ODU become a NCAA program (1969-1970) and from what I can tell we have never lost to the Tribe at home. Now if you go back all the way to the first game, March 25th 1931 when they played intramural basketball we lost three games. But when those dates happen, I just don't know.

W&M pressed us on defense in the second quarter and we seemed lost. We couldn't find the open man to pass to. We couldn't run the fast break. Oddly enough the one person who can do it...Raven Kemp...sat on the bench for the longest time. We had opportunities to win the game even late. The ball went out of bounds in front of our own bench three different times in the fourth quarter. You think we would score? Nope. We need a third scorer to step up out Jennie and Destinee. If you take away the shots by those two, the rest of the team shot 7-for-23...or to put another way, the rest of the team shot barely over 30%.

And don't get me started on the refs. In the first half they let way too much go. In the second half, they called fouls that they have called in the first first half. As a player you can't blame them, but they don't help your game when they are that inconsistent.
11-20-2016 10:18 PM
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I am surprised that any of you still care about the gals team. Certainly the administration doesn't.
11-21-2016 02:07 AM
servin Offline
ODU Chesapeake Fan

(11-20-2016 02:58 PM)ODUguy1999 Wrote:  Karen would make a good asst coach that recruits well and is very positive attitude but she needs many years of x and o training under a real coach. Her coaching strategy is to have one high scoring/high shot taking type player who scores surrounded by a cast of talented but uncoached players. Seriously like her but she is not getting it done for the Lady Monarchs, too much history is being lost here.

I get tired of hearing Karen call each loss a learning experience! She is an excellent recruiter and has good players on the team. A coach with the talented personnel she has should never ever lose to a team like William and Mary. She uses the same excuses season after season. There is way to much passing, the players need to shoot when they are in the paint, not try to make another pass. Karen team's have never guarded 3 point shooters. Why? The only lack of recruiting I see is not getting good 3 point shooters. It is time for Karen to depart.
11-21-2016 07:53 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

She's barely above .500 as a coach, and I do think it's time for a change. I don't know the qualifications of anyone on the staff other than KB and Corrigan. Not impressed with either. I didn't think Dennis Wolff was very successful at VT, so I'm not sure Woods can make an easy in-season change. It's frustrating. My wife and I have for the last couple of seasons, tried to make a commitment to get to a few women's games, but then I see how they're playing, read the comments posted here about how sloppy and fundamentally bad they are and we figure why bother? I wish it weren't that way, but we spend a lot of money on ODU sports as it is and simply don't see the time and expense as being worth the bother the way things are now.
11-21-2016 12:27 PM
djnva Offline
All American

She can recruit (at least judging by the rankings of the players she brings in), but then it seems she just relies on "rah rah" stuff and the talent of her players. This team will go as far as Simms and Young take us.
11-21-2016 12:55 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

This ain't good.
11-21-2016 01:22 PM
Advertisement

odufansam Offline
1st String

Having been in the locker room, I can say first hand that KB preaches effort. Her basketball IQ is lacking and you can see it on the court. Her teams don't focus on the details of the game. She is the exact opposite of Jeff Jones. She's a heck of a recruiter. It takes more than effort to beat good teams though.
11-21-2016 03:02 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Always prepare for your next opponent. With the Duke game looming, this could've been a simple case of looking past your current opponent.

That's on the players.

I also think the shot clock should be extended to 35 seconds.

Barefoot had a successful recruiting class. She isn't going to lose her job.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2016 03:35 PM by Sirloin Burger.)
11-21-2016 03:20 PM
ODUguy1999 Offline
Bench Warmer

I dont think the future Duke game had anything to do with the William and Mary result, we barely beat NSU on our home floor before that and looked kind of weak against vs Davis Elkins. I hate to lose recruits or players because tgey do love her and she is s good person but she has to go. This program has suffered enough, we shouldnt be struggling against these kinds of teams. Teams like JMU and VCU have leapfrogged us and its really unimaginable how low quality the games are for fans based on outcomes and opponents. At the minimum get an older established x and o's co coach that can teach her if Wood needs her to stay on so bad.
11-21-2016 03:44 PM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

I think, 1999, that was supposed to be Corrigan
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2016 03:54 PM by jumpshooter.)
11-21-2016 03:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.