Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would Sun Belt officials trade for the Potato Bowl?
Bookmark and Share
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I don't know how the Sun Belt office works and I don't know how the economics of MAC and Belt bowls are projected to play out. But would there be a chance that the two conferences trade bowls so that Idaho gets a game in their backyard and some MAC team doesn't have to venture out to Boise? I don't know your tie-ins this year, but depending on what those are and what you're willing to give up it might make sense to do so.

Either way, congrats to Idaho for getting to six wins. I can imagine when the announcement came that you were moving down, your coach gave a speech like the "win the whole f'ing thing" scene in Major League.
11-16-2016 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
Nope, 0% chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-16-2016 05:41 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
RE: Would Sun Belt officials trade for the Potato Bowl?
I thought Boise in December was a pretty hot vacation spot for midwesterners looking to see some nicer weather.
11-16-2016 05:57 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Reading some comments from vandal fans on here and their main message board, the consensus seems to be they don't want to go to Boise
11-16-2016 06:06 PM
Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I Root For: App State
(11-16-2016 05:40 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I don't know how the Sun Belt office works and I don't know how the economics of MAC and Belt bowls are projected to play out. But would there be a chance that the two conferences trade bowls so that Idaho gets a game in their backyard and some MAC team doesn't have to venture out to Boise? I don't know your tie-ins this year, but depending on what those are and what you're willing to give up it might make sense to do so.

Either way, congrats to Idaho for getting to six wins. I can imagine when the announcement came that you were moving down, your coach gave a speech like the "win the whole f'ing thing" scene in Manor League.

It wouldn't help the MAC very much. Idaho is destined for the bowl in Tuscon, so that would be the one the SBC would give up. Arizona is about as far as Idaho for the MAC teams. Plus I'm sure Idaho would prefer to go to Arizona, anyway.
11-16-2016 06:13 PM
Crommy50 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
As a Vandal Fan I would prefer to go to Orlando and make a vacation out of it but my wallet is screaming for the Potato Bowl.

Tuscan would be fine but the Payout, lack of National TV exposure (it appears to be an streaming / local broadcast game) and not being a vacation destination put me a little off.

In all honesty I'm just happy that we are bowl eligible and see if I can make it cost and scheduling dependent.
11-16-2016 06:25 PM
Advertisement

dtd_vandal Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Idaho
I think the Sun Belt would make that trade in a heartbeat. Potato Bowl has a bigger payout, is on ESPN, and travel expenses will be less for Idaho so there won't have to be as big of a reimbursement there. I would think it would be up to the MAC if they wanted to make that trade, though I doubt they would.
11-16-2016 06:33 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-16-2016 06:33 PM)dtd_vandal Wrote:  I think the Sun Belt would make that trade in a heartbeat. Potato Bowl has a bigger payout, is on ESPN, and travel expenses will be less for Idaho so there won't have to be as big of a reimbursement there. I would think it would be up to the MAC if they wanted to make that trade, though I doubt they would.

It wouldn't be up to the MAC. It would be up to ESPN and then they'd have to make it work between the leagues.

As for bowl payout comparisons, a large portion of the payout is tickets. If you can't sell the tickets (Idaho can't) then you're eating a solid loss.

And to top off this post, the Potato Bowl paid $325k last year. That is less than every Sun Belt tie in except Camelia.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/college-bo...e-payouts/

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2016 06:43 PM by WolfBird.)
11-16-2016 06:40 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
No.

Here's why

No one is going to trade FOR the Arizona Bowl.
No one besides Idaho wants to go to the Arizona Bowl.
11-16-2016 08:19 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
It won't happen because the Arizona Bowl isn't tied with ESPN.
11-16-2016 09:12 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Didn't know that the Arizona Bowl was Sun Belt-affiliated. The fact that's the bowl you'd want to send off pretty much ends this discussion because there's no way the MAC will trade an ESPN bowl for one that's streamed online, thanks for the info anyways.
11-16-2016 09:32 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(11-16-2016 09:32 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Didn't know that the Arizona Bowl was Sun Belt-affiliated. The fact that's the bowl you'd want to send off pretty much ends this discussion because there's no way the MAC will trade an ESPN bowl for one that's streamed online, thanks for the info anyways.

Unfortunately, trading off Orlando would potentially force South Alabama or Arkansas State to play in Arizona. That's just not happening.
11-16-2016 09:37 PM
luvyosef Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St
If you have an ASN affiliate you can watch the Tucson Bowl. I watched the CSU-Nevada game last year. Congrats Vandals! REALLY wish your president would have a change of heart.
11-16-2016 10:26 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
I'd say there's a 99.9% chance Idaho goes to the Arizona Bowl. App didn't even offer tickets for it while doing so for the other four Sun Belt bowls and that wasn't a mistake.
11-16-2016 11:50 PM
dtd_vandal Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Idaho
(11-16-2016 06:40 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(11-16-2016 06:33 PM)dtd_vandal Wrote:  I think the Sun Belt would make that trade in a heartbeat. Potato Bowl has a bigger payout, is on ESPN, and travel expenses will be less for Idaho so there won't have to be as big of a reimbursement there. I would think it would be up to the MAC if they wanted to make that trade, though I doubt they would.

It wouldn't be up to the MAC. It would be up to ESPN and then they'd have to make it work between the leagues.

As for bowl payout comparisons, a large portion of the payout is tickets. If you can't sell the tickets (Idaho can't) then you're eating a solid loss.

And to top off this post, the Potato Bowl paid $325k last year. That is less than every Sun Belt tie in except Camelia.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/college-bo...e-payouts/

Right, ESPN owns the bowl and would have the final say but they wouldn't turn Idaho in the Potato Bowl since they would sell more tickets for that particular game. So basically it would be up to the MAC to want to make the trade in the first place (since ESPN and Sun Belt would probably be willing to do it); though I can't see anyone trading into a bowl that has such poor TV options and more than likely no more money.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2016 01:49 AM by dtd_vandal.)
11-17-2016 01:09 AM
Mailleman Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
(11-16-2016 08:19 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  No.

Here's why

Even Idaho isn't exactly begging to go the the Arizona Bowl.

Nothing personal, but I'm rooting for as few Sun Belt bowl teams as possible so we don't have to go. Actually, given we're getting kicked out, maybe it should be personal...
11-17-2016 04:26 AM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(11-17-2016 04:26 AM)Mailleman Wrote:  
(11-16-2016 08:19 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  No.

Here's why

Even Idaho isn't exactly begging to go the the Arizona Bowl.

Nothing personal, but I'm rooting for as few Sun Belt bowl teams as possible so we don't have to go. Actually, given we're getting kicked out, maybe it should be personal...

google up the arizona bowl and click on the picture of the stadium..pretty comical. mostly empty for that game..
11-17-2016 08:42 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
MWC isn't trading since they are in both games. Nothing for them to gain.
MAC isn't trading because Tucson doesn't offer the exposure of Boise.
11-17-2016 11:03 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(11-17-2016 11:03 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  MWC isn't trading since they are in both games. Nothing for them to gain.
MAC isn't trading because Tucson doesn't offer the exposure of Boise.

MW could trade out the if there are only 6 bowl eligible teams and if the MW gets the Access Bowl, that frees up a MW spot and most likely will be the Potato Bowl.
If CSU can't be SDSU or NM the next 2 weeks, there could be only 5 teams bowl eligible which could free up 2 bowl spots depending on the Access Bowl.
11-17-2016 11:38 AM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
It

Is

Not

Happening

11-17-2016 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.