??
11-10-2016 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: Tomorrow and forever
Amen. Special thanks to our brothers on this board who served and to my FIL and Dad who served in the Navy in WWII
11-10-2016 09:56 PM
MiamiRocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!
Respect to my grandpa who landed on Omaha Beach in WWII and to all those who have served. I'll never forget the stories he told of the horror of the war and the privilege to be an American. RIP RPK.
11-10-2016 10:41 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(11-10-2016 10:41 PM)MiamiRocket Wrote:  Respect to my grandpa who landed on Omaha Beach in WWII and to all those who have served. I'll never forget the stories he told of the horror of the war and the privilege to be an American. RIP RPK.

04-bow
11-10-2016 10:59 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Omaha Beach, wow. I've read books on it but I'm sure they don't do it justice. Mucho respect to your grandpa. 04-bow

My dad was in the navy but was marooned on Midway Island (after the battle there) and narrowly avoided being re-assigned to the invasion of Japan by the A-bomb.
11-10-2016 11:04 PM
Advertisement

MiamiRocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!
(11-10-2016 11:04 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Omaha Beach, wow. I've read books on it but I'm sure they don't do it justice. Mucho respect to your grandpa. 04-bow

My dad was in the navy but was marooned on Midway Island (after the battle there) and narrowly avoided being re-assigned to the invasion of Japan by the A-bomb.

He got dropped on Omaha Beach in 8 feet of water and many of his fellow soldiers couldn't swim. He ascended the beach and somehow survived. He was crying when he told me this. Before he passed away he told me things that he said he never told anyone, including his wife of 60 years, my grandma. He was part of the greatest generation. If he didn't survive that day on the beach, I wouldn't exist. Not only that, he was an amazing man. War is a racket.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 11:39 PM by MiamiRocket.)
11-10-2016 11:38 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-10-2016 11:38 PM)MiamiRocket Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 11:04 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Omaha Beach, wow. I've read books on it but I'm sure they don't do it justice. Mucho respect to your grandpa. 04-bow

He got dropped on Omaha Beach in 8 feet of water and many of his fellow soldiers couldn't swim. He ascended the beach and somehow survived. He was crying when he told me this. Before he passed away he told me things that he said he never told anyone, including his wife of 60 years, my grandma. He was part of the greatest generation. If he didn't survive that day on the beach, I wouldn't exist. Not only that, he was an amazing man. War is a racket.

Yea, I had an uncle that fought in the Battle of the Bulge, never talked about it, didn't want to talk about it. I can only imagine what that was like.
11-10-2016 11:46 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-10-2016 09:53 PM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  How about a HUGE SHOUTOUT to all our Veterans
for without them we wouldn't be able to enjoy the
things we love.
??

I will be honoring the veterans in my family. Including 1 who didn't make it home and another who came home wounded and broken, couldn't get proper VA care and took his life. However, I don't enjoy things because of the wars they fought in. Those were wars for the arms manufacturers and politicians of conquest. What I have came through the hard work and perseverance of the daily grind; mine, my parents, my ancestors (along with all the resources and labor my country stole from others). I will honor the many in my family who fought in war by working for peace and pushing for good comprehensive health care for the soldiers who come home wounded physically and emotionally.
11-11-2016 02:04 AM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Thanks veterans. There is no way words can do you service justice, but thank you again.
11-11-2016 06:58 AM
Advertisement

RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Thank you on behalf of myself (Army), Father (Air Force), Uncles (Army, Navy, Marines), and my son-in-law (Army).
11-11-2016 07:52 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
great great grandfather@16 yrs,lied about age Army of the Potomac, grandfather runner@ Belleau Woods, father Marine Korean Conflict, brother Army/Ramstein,/Gulf War, son-in-law 25th Infantry.
Thank you, all Veterans for your service.04-bow04-bow04-bow
11-11-2016 08:17 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

Great family lines, Boca. Had a grandfather turned down for the Army in WWI for being underweight. Walked across the street, bought a bunch of bananas and a gallon of milk, ate and drank the whole mess then walked back in the recruitment center and enlisted, no problem. Your story about your great grandfather lying about his age reminded me of that. Had a great who served in the West during the Civil War including a 9 month stay at Camp Sumter which he survived and returned to frequently. Outlived Wirz and most everyone of his captors, dying at 90.
11-11-2016 08:53 AM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Cool stories. Great, Great Grandfather and his brother (Great, Great Uncle) on my Mom's side served in the same unit from Michigan (have to look up the unit) during the Civil War. The uncle was wounded in the Battle of the Wilderness, losing one of his arms below the elbow. Was able to visit that Battlefield a couple of years ago.
11-11-2016 09:04 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(11-11-2016 09:04 AM)RangerRocket Wrote:  Cool stories. Great, Great Grandfather and his brother (Great, Great Uncle) on my Mom's side served in the same unit from Michigan (have to look up the unit) during the Civil War. The uncle was wounded in the Battle of the Wilderness, losing one of his arms below the elbow. Was able to visit that Battlefield a couple of years ago.

.55 cal soft lead wounds and primitive medicine were a bad mix. I've been to a bunch of CW battlefields and there is truly a sense of hallowed ground at every one.
11-11-2016 09:54 AM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
(11-11-2016 09:54 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 09:04 AM)RangerRocket Wrote:  Cool stories. Great, Great Grandfather and his brother (Great, Great Uncle) on my Mom's side served in the same unit from Michigan (have to look up the unit) during the Civil War. The uncle was wounded in the Battle of the Wilderness, losing one of his arms below the elbow. Was able to visit that Battlefield a couple of years ago.

.55 cal soft lead wounds and primitive medicine were a bad mix. I've been to a bunch of CW battlefields and there is truly a sense of hallowed ground at every one.

+1. A bit of a Civil War buff myself. I've been to the National Archives and have combed through my ancestors muster rolls and discharge papers from 150+ years ago
11-11-2016 10:44 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(11-11-2016 10:44 AM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  

+1. A bit of a Civil War buff myself. I've been to the National Archives and have combed through my ancestors muster rolls and discharge papers from 150+ years ago

We actually have some of his Civil War papers at my family's home. My Dad's Uncle's position was overrun at the Battle of the Bulge. He went on to serve the Nation's interests in other capacities.
11-11-2016 11:03 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(11-11-2016 11:03 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

We actually have some of his Civil War papers at my family's home. My Dad's Uncle's position was overrun at the Battle of the Bulge. He went on to serve the Nation's interests in other capacities.

We have a letter my grt grt sent home from Fort Johnson, a couple Parrot shells and a ball and chain from Andersonville, the only known one in existence. Took it down to Antiques Road Show a couple years ago. Important to have that memorabilia to remind us of sacrifice.
11-11-2016 11:50 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(11-11-2016 11:50 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 11:03 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

We have a letter my grt grt sent home from Fort Johnson, a couple Parrot shells and a ball and chain from Andersonville, the only known one in existence. Took it down to Antiques Road Show a couple years ago. Important to have that memorabilia to remind us of sacrifice.

For years, Civil War casualties were thought to be around 620,000 and now thought to be around 750,000 with a ceiling of 860,000. Half were due to disease.
Just for a comparison:
US casualties in:
Iraq-Afghanistan 6,841
Gulf War 258
Vietnam 58,209
11-12-2016 04:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.