164 Buff
192 CMU
213 Kent
238 EMU
256 Toledo
273 WMU
281 BG
289 Miami ...

THOUGHTS ... ??? Particularly Toledo, EMU, Buffalo ... which is right or wrong??? Most everybody else seems to be in the same prediction range for both..
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 10:51 AM by cleveland.)
11-10-2016 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

broncos1123 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: FOOD FOR THOUGHT -- BASKETBALL
Bigger difference between WMU's rankings than Buffalo's rankings. WMU is a very, very young team. I think ESPN has them too high. I think ESPN has the whole MAC too high. CBS appears to be the more accurate of the two, although Toledo and EMU should be ranked higher on the CBS one.
11-10-2016 11:01 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
I don't get why ESPN is so high on Toledo. I agree CBS is more accurate, but feel Buffalo is deserving of a top 4 spot.
11-10-2016 11:09 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(11-10-2016 11:09 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  I don't get why ESPN is so high on Toledo. I agree CBS is more accurate, but feel Buffalo is deserving of a top 4 spot.

After looking at this a bit longer ... now wondering if CMU and KSU for example have fallen off that much in recent years ... or has others just gotten that much better??

Both of those teams were pretty good as recently as last year before injuries derailed them.
11-10-2016 11:28 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(11-10-2016 11:09 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  I don't get why ESPN is so high on Toledo. I agree CBS is more accurate, but feel Buffalo is deserving of a top 4 spot.

Toledo looks lousy. Our RS big is a huge project, our Marquette transfer is good at what he does but limited, we will be quicker and deeper at PG but far from where we need to be and our two frosh starters don't look much improved. Williams will have to do the scoring and there is no real inside threat. Our D will be it's usual lackluster self. EMU will win the conference if they can keep things under control.
11-10-2016 11:57 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

(11-10-2016 11:28 AM)cleveland Wrote:  

After looking at this a bit longer ... now wondering if CMU and KSU for example have fallen off that much in recent years ... or has others just gotten that much better??

Both of those teams were pretty good as recently as last year before injuries derailed them.

Agree Kent would have been better last year if not for injury. I just feel this year will be a down year for them because they lost Spicer, Pollard, Ortiz, and Cancer. All 4 of these guys averaged over 20 minutes per game for them. I'd expect them to get back to contending at the top of the MAC soon.
11-10-2016 11:59 AM
eich41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CMU
(11-10-2016 11:28 AM)cleveland Wrote:  

Fowler being banged up last year really hurt CMU. Even when he came back he wasn't nearly the same player as his first three years. There wasn't anyone in the MAC who could stop him off the dribble when he was healthy. He was a step slower when he came back last year (I think he was only playing at about 80%).

I think those rankings are fairly accurate for CMU. Of course there are a lot of unknowns, and I could easily see them as a borderline top 100 team when it all shakes out. The biggest factor in their success will be how good Keane is at running the offense. He's quick, a proven scorer, and looks to be a great replacement for Fowler. We also know Rayson can fill it up. If the bigs (Meyer and Scott) take a big step in their third year, CMU will contend for a MAC title. If Keane stumbles, or if the bigs haven't made any progress, CMU is likely an average to above average MAC team, which would be right in that 150-200 range.
11-10-2016 12:39 PM
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
I would be absolutely astounded--giddy, but astounded--if the Rockets end the season as the 3rd best team in the MAC. I do think they will get better as the second half of conference play progresses, but not THAT good.

Maybe they mean our Lady Rockets basketball team...more possible that they end up as high as 3rd best than the men's team imo.
11-10-2016 12:59 PM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
(11-10-2016 10:50 AM)cleveland Wrote:  ESPN

82 Akron
97 EMU
109 Toledo
116 Ohio
127 Buffalo
132 NIU
138 Ball
139 WMU
145 CMU
176 BG
185 Kent
270 Miami

CBS --

78 Akron
115 Ohio
146 NIU
149 Ball
164 Buff
192 CMU
213 Kent
238 EMU
256 Toledo
273 WMU
281 BG
289 Miami ...

THOUGHTS ... ??? Particularly Toledo, EMU, Buffalo ... which is right or wrong??? Most everybody else seems to be in the same prediction range for both..

Last year the MAC had one team with an RPI of 200+ (WMU). KenPom had two teams (BG & Miami) and CBS is putting a full 50% of the league in there. Ummm, nope.
11-10-2016 01:11 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-10-2016 01:11 PM)OUVan Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 10:50 AM)cleveland Wrote:  ESPN

82 Akron
97 EMU
109 Toledo
116 Ohio
127 Buffalo
132 NIU
138 Ball
139 WMU
145 CMU
176 BG
185 Kent
270 Miami

CBS --

78 Akron
115 Ohio
146 NIU
149 Ball
164 Buff
192 CMU
213 Kent
238 EMU
256 Toledo
273 WMU
281 BG
289 Miami ...

Last year the MAC had one team with an RPI of 200+ (WMU). KenPom had two teams (BG & Miami) and CBS is putting a full 50% of the league in there. Ummm, nope.

Yea, that's ridiculous. Wipes out any credibility they might have had.
11-10-2016 03:11 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Toledo looked limited in their exhibition game but the staff really likes how the team gets along and enjoys playing together. they are deeper as well and have a proven senior scorer, so I see them as more of a second half team this season, that might start slow but should be dangerous come february.

EMU is loaded. Murphy has always been a guy who can identify talent and coach the Syracuse zone but never gets any flow out of his offense. However, last season they started to figure out playing together on offense and the super talented Raven Lee started playing like a 21 year old instead of that punk with the pretty jumper on your jr high team who threw up fadeaways from 20 when you were wide open cutting to the rim. They have a Big 10 sized roster and go fairly deep. Bond is an elite defender and thompson can rebound and finish with the best.

My surprise teams would be Kent and BG. Kent has had some tough breaks in recent years and now has a roster with some good seniors who could be leaders, some athletic younger guys and a potentially strong center in the 7 foot St John's transfer who lost all that weight. BG began to gel under Huger last year despite some talent deficiencies. I have no idea of their skill and talent level but based on his first year of coaching I'd expect them to play above expectations.

Plus, nobody is talking about Ohio and they have the league's best player and mix of offensive weapons.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2016 02:58 AM by pono.)
11-11-2016 02:57 AM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(11-11-2016 02:57 AM)pono Wrote:  Toledo looked limited in their exhibition game but the staff really likes how the team gets along and enjoys playing together. they are deeper as well and have a proven senior scorer, so I see them as more of a second half team this season, that might start slow but should be dangerous come february.

EMU is loaded. Murphy has always been a guy who can identify talent and coach the Syracuse zone but never gets any flow out of his offense. However, last season they started to figure out playing together on offense and the super talented Raven Lee started playing like a 21 year old instead of that punk with the pretty jumper on your jr high team who threw up fadeaways from 20 when you were wide open cutting to the rim. They have a Big 10 sized roster and go fairly deep. Bond is an elite defender and thompson can rebound and finish with the best.

My surprise teams would be Kent and BG. Kent has had some tough breaks in recent years and now has a roster with some good seniors who could be leaders, some athletic younger guys and a potentially strong center in the 7 foot St John's transfer who lost all that weight. BG began to gel under Huger last year despite some talent deficiencies. I have no idea of their skill and talent level but based on his first year of coaching I'd expect them to play above expectations.

Plus, nobody is talking about Ohio and they have the league's best player and mix of offensive weapons.

and everyone back from the entire 23-win 2015-16 team with the exception of one person...from the entire team! but hey, keep overlooking us; we're ok with that!
11-11-2016 08:45 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

Whose overlooking OU besides that 1 terrible ESPN poll? I've seen them 1st or 2nd in pretty much every conference ranking I've looked at.
11-11-2016 08:53 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I'd be willing to make a large wager with anyone that KSU will not finish in the bottom half of the MAC that both of these rankings have them (11th and 7th).

Takers? Name your stakes.
11-11-2016 09:11 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(11-11-2016 08:45 AM)bobcat_backer Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 02:57 AM)pono Wrote:  Toledo looked limited in their exhibition game but the staff really likes how the team gets along and enjoys playing together. they are deeper as well and have a proven senior scorer, so I see them as more of a second half team this season, that might start slow but should be dangerous come february.

and everyone back from the entire 23-win 2015-16 team with the exception of one person...from the entire team! but hey, keep overlooking us; we're ok with that!

Ohio picked about the same by both ESPN and CBS (115-116) the question was about the teams with the big discrepancies between them, or ... (CMU-KSU??) ranked much lower than one would normally expect.
11-11-2016 09:47 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
First day of MAC play and everyone shows up.

Big Story would be 1) EMU going toe to toe with Pitt in a great double OT opener. Pitt got every break and pulled out the win but EMU is for real. Their returnees look improved and they got the Steele kid looking like a legit big man to play next to Thompson in the post. 1A) Ball St dismantling St Louis of the A10 in their building before halftime. Didn't see the game and no sure how much St Louis has slumped (they were 11-21 last year) but a big win over a program that's had a lot of good teams.

Small story 2) Either BG loses by a comfortable 8 points to oakland or 2A) BG suspends 2 players goes into a really good Oakland team's gym and still battles to a 1 possession game in the closing minutes but Oakland goes steph curry from 3 down the stretch to win by 8. whichever, not a bad performance.

Handling business 1) Buffalo on the road new freshman pg rivalry game and they win by ten 2) NIU squeaks by a decent Indiana St team at home. looked like the better club but struggled to put it away. CMU huge win over small college, while WMU and Miami 20 point wins
11-12-2016 03:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.