Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UT NIU Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
UT! Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
UT NIU Thoughts
Thing that was killing me was our Dbs were afraid to jack their QB. Diving into the ground at his legs. Shoulder tackling, not bringing their arms. They are not physical at all.

I thought ESPN pulled off an entertaining nite working the Chi town factor. Decent crowd and publicity for UT/NIU.

NIU showed up and played hard. We came out flat.

We miss Hester and Moore at DT, We have marginal back ups, we were playing an offensive lineman most the game at DT, #78.
Taafe played his best game since Ark St.

Hunt breaking that tackle was biggest play of the YEAR! He was punishing.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 09:11 AM by UT!.)
11-10-2016 08:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
UT NIU Thoughts
I thought the ESPN production and announcers last night was absolutely awful. I've seen a better job done by local tv stations. Announcers were clueless to many game situations. Wondering if NIU would kick the field goal to tie when it was 3rd down (wtf?), among other things. The whole baseball angle was way overdone as well and felt incredibly forced.

Defense clearly is what it is and isn't going to change. Gotta hope the offense puts up 100 points in the last 2 games.
11-10-2016 08:59 AM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: UT NIU Thoughts
(11-10-2016 08:59 AM)adunifon Wrote:  I thought the ESPN production and announcers last night was absolutely awful. I've seen a better job done by local tv stations. Announcers were clueless to many game situations. Wondering if NIU would kick the field goal to tie when it was 3rd down (wtf?), among other things. The whole baseball angle was way overdone as well and felt incredibly forced.

Defense clearly is what it is and isn't going to change. Gotta hope the offense puts up 100 points in the last 2 games.

Perhaps the forced baseball dialogs were forced . . . by White Sox, MLB, ESPN and NIU for future games. You must admit our lives are better for having the around the park reporter stick his head in that bit of Americana shower.
11-10-2016 09:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
I loved the extended close-up of the nachos that kept us from seeing what the penalty on the play before was- not really sure if it was the nachos or something else but on multiple occasions the chatter and cutaways eliminated discussion of the game. I was very happy that the one guy got to relive his glory days as a mediocre high school pitcher over and over and over and over....
11-10-2016 09:22 AM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-10-2016 09:22 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  I loved the extended close-up of the nachos that kept us from seeing what the penalty on the play before was- not really sure if it was the nachos or something else but on multiple occasions the chatter and cutaways eliminated discussion of the game. I was very happy that the one guy got to relive his glory days as a mediocre high school pitcher over and over and over and over....

Here's the Conspiracy Theory: being unable to listen to the Rocket broadcast team online, we were held hostage to the ESPN crew including Mr Glory Daze who like to repeat, repeat, repeat himself. Took him almost the full first half to realize Logan was being outplayed by Graham.
11-10-2016 09:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
That production was an insult. It was as though our game was a background for advertising ESPN's brand and marketing P5 football. They used half-time for a SportsCenter-like show. If we are being stuck mid-week, with some of our start times TBA until game week, at least respect the game and deliver a serious broadcast.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 10:03 AM by Toledo Football 1st.)
11-10-2016 09:56 AM
Advertisement

adunifon Offline
Heisman

UT NIU Thoughts
(11-10-2016 09:22 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  I loved the extended close-up of the nachos that kept us from seeing what the penalty on the play before was- not really sure if it was the nachos or something else but on multiple occasions the chatter and cutaways eliminated discussion of the game. I was very happy that the one guy got to relive his glory days as a mediocre high school pitcher over and over and over and over....

Pretty sure he was down in the bullpen the entire game.
11-10-2016 10:00 AM
All Rockets All The Time

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(11-10-2016 09:31 AM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  Here's the Conspiracy Theory: being unable to listen to the Rocket broadcast team online, we were held hostage to the ESPN crew including Mr Glory Daze who like to repeat, repeat, repeat himself. Took him almost the full first half to realize Logan was being outplayed by Graham.

I muted those knuckleheads and listened to the Rocket broadcast from the free Rocketvision option on the UT website. There was a one play lag to start, but it kind of caught up later in the game.
11-10-2016 10:02 AM
UT! Offline
2nd String

To the serious rocket fan it was joke... the football fan who needed to get their fix was happy with the production. Hopefully the announcers were so bad nobody noticed how unphysical we are on D.... Last weeks Akron game i thought the announcers were prepared and serious about the game.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 11:27 AM by UT!.)
11-10-2016 10:43 AM
All Rockets All The Time

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I didn't mind the references and video shots related to the ballpark and its history. But all the pop-up graphics and talk about other sports and conferences was insulting. At times it seemed like I was watching HSN.
11-10-2016 11:03 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-10-2016 09:56 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  That production was an insult. It was as though our game was a background for advertising ESPN's brand and marketing P5 football. They used half-time for a SportsCenter-like show. If we are being stuck mid-week, with some of our start times TBA until game week, at least respect the game and deliver a serious broadcast.
Completely agree. They were talking about the college playoff during game action in the first half. I was like WTF? there is a game going on.
11-10-2016 12:28 PM
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(11-10-2016 08:11 AM)UT! Wrote:  Taafe played his best game since Ark St.

Hunt breaking that tackle was biggest play of the YEAR! He was punishing.

I heard on the radio broadcast that Taafe has been playing hurt all season. Could be part of the reason he misses so many tackles.

Hunt had his biggest gain of the season last night for 24 yards. That was really shocking to hear when the radio broadcast mentioned that.
11-10-2016 01:40 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-10-2016 12:28 PM)emanoh Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 09:56 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  That production was an insult. It was as though our game was a background for advertising ESPN's brand and marketing P5 football. They used half-time for a SportsCenter-like show. If we are being stuck mid-week, with some of our start times TBA until game week, at least respect the game and deliver a serious broadcast.
Completely agree. They were talking about the college playoff during game action in the first half. I was like WTF? there is a game going on.

Sounds like typical douchebag E$PN.
11-10-2016 03:14 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-10-2016 10:02 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 09:31 AM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  Here's the Conspiracy Theory: being unable to listen to the Rocket broadcast team online, we were held hostage to the ESPN crew including Mr Glory Daze who like to repeat, repeat, repeat himself. Took him almost the full first half to realize Logan was being outplayed by Graham.

I muted those knuckleheads and listened to the Rocket broadcast from the free Rocketvision option on the UT website. There was a one play lag to start, but it kind of caught up later in the game.

Dang - good to know for future enjoyment.
11-10-2016 05:23 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-10-2016 05:23 PM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 10:02 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  

Dang - good to know for future enjoyment.

Great idea. I thought the ESPN guys were alright. Not great. Not terrible. But the Rocket broadcast does sound the better option. Would like it in re-play though to play with the ESPN3 replay.
11-10-2016 09:26 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

The Rockets actually got the "good" ESPN crew, if you compare it to the WMU game on Tuesday. In that game, they had some boxing trainer as the color guy (I suppose he's famous, but I don't follow boxing so who knows) and he didn't shut up the whole game, most just saying Kent needed to slow WMU down by hitting them below the belt.

Best part was that at one point, Desmond Howard referred to WMU as Western Kentucky. The other guys immediately called him out on it, but that turned on something and for the rest of the game they called WMU Western Kentucky about 20 more times. Hilarious.
11-10-2016 09:38 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-10-2016 09:38 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  The Rockets actually got the "good" ESPN crew, if you compare it to the WMU game on Tuesday. In that game, they had some boxing trainer as the color guy (I suppose he's famous, but I don't follow boxing so who knows) and he didn't shut up the whole game, most just saying Kent needed to slow WMU down by hitting them below the belt.

Best part was that at one point, Desmond Howard referred to WMU as Western Kentucky. The other guys immediately called him out on it, but that turned on something and for the rest of the game they called WMU Western Kentucky about 20 more times. Hilarious.

10,100 attendance. Nobody in Chicago gives a crap about NIU. Lived there 20 years.
11-10-2016 09:55 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(11-10-2016 09:38 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  The Rockets actually got the "good" ESPN crew, if you compare it to the WMU game on Tuesday. In that game, they had some boxing trainer as the color guy (I suppose he's famous, but I don't follow boxing so who knows) and he didn't shut up the whole game, most just saying Kent needed to slow WMU down by hitting them below the belt.

If the ridiculous guys that did ours were the A team I fear for the future of broadcast sports. The guys who did ours were an embarrassment .
11-10-2016 09:55 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-10-2016 09:55 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

If the ridiculous guys that did ours were the A team I fear for the future of broadcast sports. The guys who did ours were an embarrassment .

Oh I don't think they were the A team ... more like the D- team, but still better than the ones for the WMU game.
11-10-2016 10:40 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(11-10-2016 10:40 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 09:55 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

Oh I don't think they were the A team ... more like the D- team, but still better than the ones for the WMU game.

I muted a lot after half time. D- is generous.
11-10-2016 10:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.