Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC should just Mirror SEC West
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Screw it the ACC needs to redo the conference division and make the Atlantic some what like the SEC West division. Just move NC State, Syracuse and BC to the Coastal, and move Georgia Tech, VT and Miami to the Atlantic.

New Atlantic : Louisville, FSU, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Wake, VT

New Coastal: UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, Pitt, NC State, Duke, BC

As you can see no different than the SEC model where the West is over loaded like here in the Atlantic, and the Coastal being a much like the SEC East now. Why couldn't this happen then SOS goes away???
11-08-2016 09:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
RE: ACC should just Mirror SEC West
Other than the fact North Carolina and Duke would stage a filibusterer, it's a great idea.
11-08-2016 10:07 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

If achieving SOS is the goal, some of the member schools can schedule each other OOC while not affecting the current division makeup.

In fact, UL and GT can get together whenever they want and schedule a OOC home-and-home, can they not?
11-08-2016 10:12 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Just flip VT & Syracuse or BC.
11-08-2016 10:36 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
It wasn't that long along that the SEC East was considered the more power laden division in that conference when Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia won 11 of the first 17 conference football championships with the East champion being ranked in the Top Ten 13 of those years while the West champion was ranked Top Ten in 9 of those years. In other words, the SEC is truly set-up to be balanced between the two divisions with three powerhouses in both divisions; Alabama, LSU, and Auburn in one and Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee in the other. At some point the pendelum will swing back to the East, imho.

Does anyone see the Coastal ever reaching SEC East levels levels without VT and Miami in that division? I certainly don't.

Cheers,
Neil
11-08-2016 10:54 AM
Hallcity Online
1st String

I Root For: Duke
If we're going to talk about ideas that have zero chance of going anywhere, how about making the ACC something like some European soccer leagues with top and a bottom divisions. Initially, the top division will contain the programs with the best records over the last five years and the bottom division will contain the programs with the worst records. Each year the bottom team in the top division moves down and the top team in the bottom division moves up.

How about it?
11-08-2016 11:18 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
The ACC has its share of ranked teams, and more than its share of highly ranked teams, with the current alignment. So why is SOS a problem?

For whatever reason, some SEC West teams don't get hurt as badly as you would expect when they lose in conference. I'm not sure the stacked ACC division would get the same consideration for their 3-loss teams, and I doubt a 2 loss ACC champion would get much love either.

We're not being hurt now. Why change?
11-08-2016 11:24 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(11-08-2016 10:12 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  In fact, UL and GT can get together whenever they want and schedule a OOC home-and-home, can they not?

They can. They shouldn't. They won't.
11-08-2016 11:29 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(11-08-2016 09:29 AM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  Screw it the ACC needs to redo the conference division and make the Atlantic some what like the SEC West division. Just move NC State, Syracuse and BC to the Coastal, and move Georgia Tech, VT and Miami to the Atlantic.

As you can see no different than the SEC model where the West is over loaded like here in the Atlantic, and the Coastal being a much like the SEC East now. Why couldn't this happen then SOS goes away???

Clemson is a lock for the playoffs...

Louisville is hovering around getting in....just a few upsets away

The ACC is very, very close to having 2 teams in the playoffs...you don't want to **** that up
11-08-2016 11:31 AM
AubTiger16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Auburn/SEC
(11-08-2016 11:31 AM)EvilVodka Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 09:29 AM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  Screw it the ACC needs to redo the conference division and make the Atlantic some what like the SEC West division. Just move NC State, Syracuse and BC to the Coastal, and move Georgia Tech, VT and Miami to the Atlantic.

Clemson is a lock for the playoffs...

Louisville is hovering around getting in....just a few upsets away

The ACC is very, very close to having 2 teams in the playoffs...you don't want to **** that up

I agree. The way the ACC is now is working. The SOS doesn't appear to really matter or pertain to everyone. We've discussed it several times. Louisville is #6 with only 2 ranked teams played going 1-1.

Charlotte- 4-5 C-USA (losses to EMU, Temple, ODU, FIU and Louisville)
Syracuse- 4-5 ACC (losses to Louisville 62-28, USF, Notre Dame, Wake Forest and Clemson 54-0)
#18 FSU 6-3 (#2 at time played)- (Losses to Louisville, UNC, and Clemson)
Marshall- 2-7 C-USA- (Losses to Akron, Louisville, North Texas, Charlotte, Southern Miss Pitt and ODU)
#2 Clemson 9-0 ACC
Duke 3-6 ACC- (Losses to Wake Forest, Northwestern, Virginia, Louisville, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech)
NC State 4-5- (Losses to ECU, Clemson, Louisville, BC and FSU)
UVA 2-7 ACC- (Losses to Richmond, Oregon, UConn, Pitt, UNC, Louisville and Wake Forest)
BC 4-5 ACC- (Losses to Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Syracuse, Louisville)

The biggest thing I am getting out of the way it is right now is that it's ok to play below average teams as long as you destroy them. I honestly think that if they had blown out UVA and Duke they would be 5th even. The way it looks they are putting the "eye test" above all.

The only thing I think that could change it is obviously how things play out at the end of the season. If Auburn beats Alabama and wins the SEC for example. If Ohio State beats Michigan and wins the B1G. Something with Wisconsin. That is really all I see that could change things. It's actually as of now benefiting the ACC to have only 2 strong teams and a few other solid ones and the schedule has actually worked out perfectly. Louisville has had 2 close conference games (Which in my opinion is fine, conference teams will always play you tougher especially if you have a target on your back). Other than that they have destroyed everyone and Lamar Jackson is going to win the Heisman.

We'll know where the committee stands if those scenario's play out.

If Louisville and Alabama get in over Auburn who would be the SEC Champ with 4 top 25 wins. If Alabama get's in as the 2nd place team from the West or they get left out with their schedule for a team that has the same record or no losses with a much weaker schedule.

There are tons of ways this can go down.

All I know is if all of those scenario's play out and a 1 loss Louisville with a 50ish SOS and 1 top 25 win gets in over a 1 loss Bama with 4-5 top 25 wins and a top SOS something is wrong with the system. Same situation with Auburn. IF they get in over a 2 loss Auburn who has a top 12 SOS and 4 top 25 wins and is the SEC Conference Champion then the committee will be sending a message.

It doesn't matter who you play and if your conference has 6-7-8 teams that are all capable of beating you then you're basically screwed if you ever want to get 2 teams in. Or if a 2 loss team who played a top 10 schedule wins the conference championship you may be left out 100%.

In that situation it would benefit the top teams to just say screw it. Leave their conferences. Invite 10 teams from the SBC and C-USA to join them and have 2 teams dominate the conference until the championship game. (Sarcasm)

I think regardless of the outcome the eventual end result has to be the move to 8 teams.

Could you imagine a field of.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Washington
5. Ohio State
6. Louisville
7. Auburn
8. Wisconsin

(I'm not putting Texas A&M at 8 with the loss of Knight and them losing to Mississippi State...)

#1 Alabama vs #8 Wisconsin
#2 Clemson vs #7 Auburn
#3 Michigan vs #6 Louisville
#4 Washington vs #5 Ohio State

As we are now they have completely limited us and confused us on what they want exactly. Do we play a harder schedule? Do we beat 6 -7 teams with records under .500 and get rewarded for it? Do we need to have 1 top 25 win or 4-5 top 25 wins.

Like I said there is a lot of football left and none of these scenarios could play out. It would be interesting though.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 01:52 AM by AubTiger16.)
11-09-2016 12:12 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
The thing that has helped ACC SoS is the non-conference record. This year the ACC is 36-12 overall, with only 1 really bad loss (UVA to Richmond) and lots of good wins. It's that simple.
11-09-2016 07:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

And really, who's to say the ACC Atlantic division doesn't already mirror the SEC West?
11-09-2016 02:11 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I know one thing: I'd take the ACC Coastal over the SEC East!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using CSNbbs mobile app
11-09-2016 03:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AubTiger16 Offline
Special Teams

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2016/1...c.html?m=1

Here is an ACC blog I found from Oct 13.

I'm not buying the AAC bs at the bottom, but there are still obviously plenty of OOC games left.

Didn't those same East teams dust off your #3 and #4 teams by double digit margins?
11-09-2016 06:04 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(11-09-2016 06:04 PM)AubTiger16 Wrote:  http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2016/1...c.html?m=1

I'm not buying the AAC bs at the bottom, but there are still obviously plenty of OOC games left.

Didn't those same East teams dust off your #3 and #4 teams by double digit margins?

That blog is written by our own ACC poster who goes by the name HokieMark. He's a regular here. He always has some interesting perspectives.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 10:20 PM by cuseroc.)
11-09-2016 10:19 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-09-2016 06:04 PM)AubTiger16 Wrote:  http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2016/1...c.html?m=1

I can't speak for UNC, but I'm sure VT would love a rematch now that everyone is used to the new offense. Tennessee caught VT in transition, and even so needed a freakish 5 turnovers (IIRC) to win after trailing 14-0. Hopefully VT will get another SEC East team in a bowl - if any of them are bowl-eligible.

11-09-2016 10:33 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(11-09-2016 10:33 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I can't speak for UNC, but I'm sure VT would love a rematch now that everyone is used to the new offense. Tennessee caught VT in transition, and even so needed a freakish 5 turnovers (IIRC) to win after trailing 14-0. Hopefully VT will get another SEC East team in a bowl - if any of them are bowl-eligible.

There should be five SEC East teams eligible, including Tennessee. Do you think you could get a rematch, or would the ESPN nix it?

Otherwise, you've got Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. You should be able to beat any of those.
11-10-2016 11:53 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
This would be the prelude for the conference splitting in two.
11-10-2016 12:19 PM
AubTiger16 Offline
Special Teams

(11-09-2016 10:19 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

That blog is written by our own ACC poster who goes by the name HokieMark. He's a regular here. He always has some interesting perspectives.

Yeah loved the read. I am gonna be following it now Hokie! I still disagree with the AAC remarks though!

And Yeah personally I'd love a rematch with Clemson. We switch in and out 3 QB's. Barely run the ball. Barely use Pettway and so on. Doesn't change they fact they beat us.

Yes, there should be quite a few of them eligible for some match ups.

Also, regarding transitions.

Georgia- 1st year head coach.
SC- 1st year head coach.
Missouri- 1st year head coach.
Tennessee- Butch Jones??? (He said it takes 5 years to build a championship team.. So I guess Tennessee turns the corner next season?) (Sarcasm)
Florida- 2nd year head coach.
Vanderbilt- They aren't a football power, but they have improved. This is just Mason's third season.
Kentucky- Has shown decent improvement, will they continue is the question.

The SEC East is going through a lot of transition at the moment.

The West is the #1 division in college football by a lot and we're carrying the SEC right now, but at some point as history has shown it can flip. Georgia has been dominant, Florida has been dominant, South Carolina was recently top 10, Missouri was in 2 SEC Championships in a row. It's just where it is at the moment.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2016 03:27 AM by AubTiger16.)
11-12-2016 01:21 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(11-08-2016 11:29 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 10:12 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  In fact, UL and GT can get together whenever they want and schedule a OOC home-and-home, can they not?

They can. They shouldn't. They won't.

03-lmfao
11-12-2016 08:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.