Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NY Times on the dangers of Hillary Clinton
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
NY Times on the dangers of Hillary Clinton
They must be pretty certain she will win to dare publish this piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/opinio...inion&_r=1

....But passing on the plane-crash candidate doesn’t mean ignoring the dangers of his rival.

The dangers of a Hillary Clinton presidency are more familiar than Trump’s authoritarian unknowns, because we live with them in our politics already. They’re the dangers of elite groupthink, of Beltway power worship, of a cult of presidential action in the service of dubious ideals. They’re the dangers of a recklessness and radicalism that doesn’t recognize itself as either, because it’s convinced that if an idea is mainstream and commonplace among the great and good then it cannot possibly be folly.

Almost every crisis that has come upon the West in the last 15 years has its roots in this establishmentarian type of folly. The Iraq War, which liberals prefer to remember as a conflict conjured by a neoconservative cabal, was actually the work of a bipartisan interventionist consensus, pushed hard by George W. Bush but embraced as well by a large slice of center-left opinion that included Tony Blair and more than half of Senate Democrats.

Likewise the financial crisis: Whether you blame financial-services deregulation or happy-go-lucky housing policy (or both), the policies that helped inflate and pop the bubble were embraced by both wings of the political establishment. Likewise with the euro, the European common currency, a terrible idea that only cranks and Little Englanders dared oppose until the Great Recession exposed it as a potentially economy-sinking folly. Likewise with Angela Merkel’s grand and reckless open-borders gesture just last year: She was the heroine of a thousand profiles even as she delivered her continent to polarization and violence.

This record of elite folly — which doesn’t even include lesser case studies like our splendid little war in Libya — is a big part of why the United States has a “let’s try crazy” candidate in this election, and why there are so many Trumpian parties thriving on European soil.....
10-23-2016 03:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: NY Times on the dangers of Hillary Clinton
It's by Ross Douthat, their conservative columnist.
10-23-2016 03:28 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(10-23-2016 03:28 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  It's by Ross Douthat, their conservative columnist.

What did he write that wasn't correct?
10-23-2016 03:42 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
No worries. Trump ain't gonna lose!
10-23-2016 03:58 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-23-2016 03:28 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  It's by Ross Douthat, their conservative columnist.

Conservative there is to the left of George Pataki. And they haven't been posting any negative pieces on Hillary.
10-23-2016 04:47 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
I didn't say he wrote incorrect things. I was just pointing out on how the NYT could publish this: one of their own columnists wrote it.

To me it reads as a very white-washed version of exactly what you see here: a minority of people who are angry at the world and confused about who to blame, so they lash out at the one constant in the world -- government.
10-23-2016 05:35 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(10-23-2016 05:35 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  I didn't say he wrote incorrect things. I was just pointing out on how the NYT could publish this: one of their own columnists wrote it.

To me it reads as a very white-washed version of exactly what you see here: a minority of people who are angry at the world and confused about who to blame, so they lash out at the one constant in the world -- government.

Angry and confused? Awesome.03-lmfao

That word look you keep getting? It's probably because you inadvertently make everyone you speak to in the real world feel like they need to nonchalantly check their shoes to see if they stepped in dog crap.
10-23-2016 07:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.