Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Official Game Thread: West Virginia Wesleyan (W 38-7)
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Official Game Thread: West Virginia Wesleyan (W 38-7)
Date: October 20th, 2016

Time: 7:30 PM

Opponent: West Virginia Wesleyan (2-5, 2-5 MEC)

Place: Kermit Tipton Stadium

Television: None

Webcast: SoCon Digital Network

Radio online: 640WXSM.com (Free)

WVW 2016 Schedule

WVW 2016 Roster
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2016 09:24 PM by ETSUfan1.)
10-17-2016 01:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
RE: Official Game Thread: West Virginia Wesleyan
Bucs win 28-14.
10-17-2016 01:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
I think the guys come out focused and want to get a home win. I like 28-14 as well. Thursday night game should mean a lot of students. Need a good crowd to honor that 1996 team.
10-18-2016 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Yes I think Bucs will come out focused this Thursday. I think it will not be easy but we will get a much needed win. I heard Coach T's press conference and he is staying the course and making any radical changes which I believe is best for the program. Looking at last year with freshmen we were probably at the Division III level and this year with freshmen and sophomores we appear to be at the Division II level. Next year with juniors added in we should be at the FCS entry level and actually start to compete. I want to win every game and have been upset with the last four games but it looks like we just need another recruiting year and another growth year for current players. I look forward to going out Thursday to the game.
10-18-2016 12:20 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

(10-18-2016 12:20 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Yes I think Bucs will come out focused this Thursday. I think it will not be easy but we will get a much needed win. I heard Coach T's press conference and he is staying the course and making any radical changes which I believe is best for the program. Looking at last year with freshmen we were probably at the Division III level and this year with freshmen and sophomores we appear to be at the Division II level. Next year with juniors added in we should be at the FCS entry level and actually start to compete. I want to win every game and have been upset with the last four games but it looks like we just need another recruiting year and another growth year for current players. I look forward to going out Thursday to the game.

Do we know how many scholarship players we have right now? We have way too many freshman and sophmores right now. I would imagine we will be seeing a purge of players coming in the spring.
10-18-2016 12:26 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(10-18-2016 12:26 PM)brock20 Wrote:  
(10-18-2016 12:20 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Yes I think Bucs will come out focused this Thursday. I think it will not be easy but we will get a much needed win. I heard Coach T's press conference and he is staying the course and making any radical changes which I believe is best for the program. Looking at last year with freshmen we were probably at the Division III level and this year with freshmen and sophomores we appear to be at the Division II level. Next year with juniors added in we should be at the FCS entry level and actually start to compete. I want to win every game and have been upset with the last four games but it looks like we just need another recruiting year and another growth year for current players. I look forward to going out Thursday to the game.

Do we know how many scholarship players we have right now? We have way too many freshman and sophomores right now. I would imagine we will be seeing a purge of players coming in the spring.

Maybe someone with knowledge can let us know about how many we currently have. I think what complicates it is that FCS schools can give partial scholarships and therefore have more than one player on a scholarship. I think the way we are building the program with high school recruits rather than many transfers makes most of our players freshmen and sophomores. It will be interesting to find out how many total scholarships we are now using.
10-18-2016 04:26 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Bucs win their third of the season. Hoping for two more after this one, at least.
10-18-2016 04:50 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(10-18-2016 04:26 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  

Do we know how many scholarship players we have right now? We have way too many freshman and sophomores right now. I would imagine we will be seeing a purge of players coming in the spring.

Maybe someone with knowledge can let us know about how many we currently have. I think what complicates it is that FCS schools can give partial scholarships and therefore have more than one player on a scholarship. I think the way we are building the program with high school recruits rather than many transfers makes most of our players freshmen and sophomores. It will be interesting to find out how many total scholarships we are now using.

At what point will Torbush be fully evaluated on his building plan? Are there benchmarks that he's expected to meet along the way? He talks rather freely of building a program that will be contending for championships. Sounds good -- how realistic? How long does his contract run?
10-18-2016 06:44 PM
Spector Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SoCon
(10-18-2016 04:26 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  

You’re on the right track, but filling the roster with talent goes in a few different directions. Couple that with starting up a new program and it becomes even more convoluted.

ETSU plays in the FCS (Mid-Major or D1AA) as opposed to FBS (Major D1A). As such, FCS programs are at a talent disadvantage because FBS programs are mandated to award 85 full ride scholarships; whereas FCS teams get 63 total scholarships to fill out an 85 man team. So, some players will be recruited as full rides; whereas others will receive partial rides so the program can spread them out among more players and fill out the 85 man roster. (ETSU has still not hit the 63 limit yet. They are somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-44 total with less than half of them at full ride)

Now then, most FCS schools prefer to be experts in certain regions (mainly within 200 miles), as opposed to the national realm. Many BCS programs use recruiting services to find players (I know because I was one of them). FCS coaches do the bulk of scouting and recruiting themselves. FCS coaches try to find sleepers who slip through the cracks (maybe because of injury, coaching changes, program changes, not enough film, limited exposure, etc.). Staying local sometimes is not always the best thing; whereas the school wants to maintain/retain a strong embrace with the local community, but the community may not be producing enough D1A and D1AA talent. Rule of thumb: FCS teams with fewer BCS programs within a 200 mile radius tend to be more talented because their talent pool is not tapped as much. Consequently, FBS teams that expand their recruiting radius stand a much better chance of success.

Next is signing day - February 5. By this point, teams are expected to have put together a class of 20 or so players. Although teams can sign players up into September, the good ones are gone by Feb 5th. We can get into early commitments and all kinds of other aspects, but that would take much more time. Anyway, according to the top recruiting sites, 20 out of 25 (4 of 5) top recruits sign with a BCS team on Feb 5th. That means 1 of 5 top recruits signs with an FBS team on signing day. These players should be your full ride athletes. Players signed after Feb 5th tend to make up the partial ride squad. It’s not an exact science, but it’s a good way to look at it. Another way to look at it is to keep an eye on who the staff brings in first on their official visits. At LSU, we would always try to lock in our commitments early in hopes to get them off the market.

Next up – Transfers: An issue surrounding FCS programs is the perception of competing at “lower tier” programs. Recruiting a player to join an FCS program comes with obvious facilities and prestige issues (playing at high school style stadiums, locker rooms, lacking weight/training facilities, etc.). A lot of times players who were unable to fit in at BCS schools can be stars at the FCS level. Remember players transferring down a division do not have to sit out a year; whereas players transferring up to BCS status have to sit out a year (there are exceptions). FCS programs do offer a high level of play – after all, it is Division I football and an avenue to the league without having to sit out a season.

Now with respect to your question/comparison towards DII and DIII programs. The talent level at DI (FCS or BCS) is far superior to DII and DIII talent. Remember, you have to evaluate the player at his appropriate age/grade level. You can’t accurately compare this ETSU team to any DI, DII or DIII team unless they played only with the same number of Freshmen, Sophomores, etc. The correct evaluation is how the Buc Freshmen match up against other FCS Freshmen, RS Freshmen to other RS Freshmen, RS Sophomores to RS Sophomores, etc. etc.? Note: You will quickly see the drop off of ETSU JRs and SRs to compare. It is because of this, you can’t compare teams until you field a full graduating class.

Now then – this is an answer to the question presented. The coaching, discipline, scheme, etc. are all separate issues…
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 07:37 PM by Spector.)
10-18-2016 07:25 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

(10-18-2016 07:25 PM)Spector Wrote:  (ETSU has still not hit the 63 limit yet. They are somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-44 total with less than half of them at full ride)

If this is true then it is no wonder we are still struggling. It also appears that they are phasing in all the scholarships. Which is fine but they should not have played a full SoCon schedule this year. At least wait until you get the full allotment of scholarships first.

ETSU's schedule from last year should have been this years schedule and our first year schedule should have been all D3 or NAIA. I can only assume that the SoCon wanted them in earlier.
10-18-2016 09:19 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
(10-18-2016 09:19 PM)brock20 Wrote:  
(10-18-2016 07:25 PM)Spector Wrote:  (ETSU has still not hit the 63 limit yet. They are somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-44 total with less than half of them at full ride)

If this is true then it is no wonder we are still struggling. It also appears that they are phasing in all the scholarships. Which is fine but they should not have played a full SoCon schedule this year. At least wait until you get the full allotment of scholarships first.

ETSU's schedule from last year should have been this years schedule and our first year schedule should have been all D3 or NAIA. I can only assume that the SoCon wanted them in earlier.

Mercer played 2 seasons (2014,2015) under the 63 scholarship limit. This is the first season being maxed out. I'm pretty sure FBS teams won't play an FCS team unless they have 63 scholarships, as it won't count for the FBS team. At least that was in the wording of the Georgia Tech deal.
10-19-2016 01:12 PM
Advertisement

brock20 Offline
1st String

(10-19-2016 01:12 PM)MercerFan Wrote:  Mercer played 2 seasons (2014,2015) under the 63 scholarship limit. This is the first season being maxed out. I'm pretty sure FBS teams won't play an FCS team unless they have 63 scholarships, as it won't count for the FBS team. At least that was in the wording of the Georgia Tech deal.

I assume they also played under the limit in 2013 correct?

ETSU doesn't play an FBS team until 2018.
10-19-2016 01:30 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
(10-19-2016 01:30 PM)brock20 Wrote:  
(10-19-2016 01:12 PM)MercerFan Wrote:  Mercer played 2 seasons (2014,2015) under the 63 scholarship limit. This is the first season being maxed out. I'm pretty sure FBS teams won't play an FCS team unless they have 63 scholarships, as it won't count for the FBS team. At least that was in the wording of the Georgia Tech deal.

Oh yea, sorry for the confusion. I meant 2 SoCon seasons were played under the limit. 2013 had 0 scholarships in the Pioneer Football League.

ETSU got thrown to the wolves this year and they'll be fine going forward. Mercer only won 1 SoCon game in 2014, and you guys already matched that.

I don't know the rules 100%, but I don't think a team can just add 63 scholarships from 0. I think it has to be gradual. I might be wrong. Regardless, ETSU is doing the correct method to have them distributed evenly between FR/SO/JR/SR classes.

Good luck in this game! I've been following your team more than any other SoCon team, since we're both (re)start ups.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2016 11:35 AM by MercerFan.)
10-20-2016 11:33 AM
brock20 Offline
1st String

(10-20-2016 11:33 AM)MercerFan Wrote:  Oh yea, sorry for the confusion. I meant 2 SoCon seasons were played under the limit. 2013 had 0 scholarships in the Pioneer Football League.

ETSU got thrown to the wolves this year and they'll be fine going forward. Mercer only won 1 SoCon game in 2014, and you guys already matched that.

I don't know the rules 100%, but I don't think a team can just add 63 scholarships from 0. I think it has to be gradual. I might be wrong. Regardless, ETSU is doing the correct method to have them distributed evenly between FR/SO/JR/SR classes.

Good luck in this game! I've been following your team more than any other SoCon team, since we're both (re)start ups.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Good luck to you all as well.
10-20-2016 12:14 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

You can't, you can only use somewhere between 22-25 annually give or take. So it's a gradual progression on athletic scholarships. It's up to the coaches to find guys who have upside, that maybe have slipped through the cracks a little bit but also have the grades to get lottery/academic money. Bring them in that way.
10-20-2016 03:00 PM
queenladybug817 Offline
Special Teams

(10-20-2016 11:33 AM)MercerFan Wrote:  
(10-19-2016 01:30 PM)brock20 Wrote:  

Oh yea, sorry for the confusion. I meant 2 SoCon seasons were played under the limit. 2013 had 0 scholarships in the Pioneer Football League.

It's not fair MercerFan - it's not as much fun to "hate" you guys in football, as it is in basketball. We can't yell at Bob to sit down in football. That's my favorite part about Mercer coming to town 03-cool
10-20-2016 03:04 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Game going as planned. Need to score and get this one out of reach.
10-20-2016 08:35 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Great game minus the last play of the first half really. Their RB could start on our team. That being said, great game for Stinson and I really like the toughness of Matt Thompson.
10-20-2016 09:24 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

RE: Official Game Thread: West Virginia Wesleyan (W 38-7)
(10-20-2016 09:24 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Great game minus the last play of the first half really. Their RB could start on our team. That being said, great game for Stinson and I really like the toughness of Matt Thompson.

Yes and it was a much needed win. Bucs took care of business and that was a great relief. Congratulations to players and coaches.
10-20-2016 09:40 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
RE: Official Game Thread: West Virginia Wesleyan (W 38-7)
For what it's worth, a DII program with 2 wins vs a young FCS program with 2 wins -- looks like ETSU is recruiting appropriately, perhaps helping ease some questions in the minds of some.
10-20-2016 09:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.