Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Looks Like The Miami Bowl Might Never Be An Anchor Bowl.
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Looks Like The Miami Bowl Might Never Be An Anchor Bowl.
The most recent payouts reported by the NCAA indicate that the bowls it aspires to be like (bowls with a relatively high P5 selection like the Liberty, Texas, Gator, Music City, etc) all have 4-6 million dollar payouts. Last year, the Miami Beach Bowl paid a measly $100K, making it the lowest paying bowl in college football. That's down from a 900K payout in the prior year (first year ever for the Miami Beach Bowl).

That pretty much explains why it struggles to attract a P5 opponent. Games that attract low end P5 opponents all have payouts of over a million.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/...0426v2.pdf
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2016 01:14 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-14-2016 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
RE: Looks Like The Miami Bowl Might Never Be An Anchor Bowl.
(10-14-2016 10:07 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The most recent payouts reported by the NCAA indicate that the bowls it aspires to be like (bowls with a realitively high P5 selection like the Liberty, Texas, Gator, Music City, etc) all have 4-6 million dollar payouts. Last year,maths Miami Beaxh Bowl paid 100K, tying for the lowest paying bowl. That's down for a 900K payout in the prior year (first year ever for the Miami Beach Bowl).

That pretty much explains why we struggle to get a P5 opponent. Games that attract low end P5 opponents all have payouts of over a million.

Well in year 1 they got BYU while in year 2 it was WKU. The league owns the bowl so do they have the right/ability to massively drop the payout when it's against a G5 team and increase it if they can get a P5/BYU?
10-14-2016 10:11 AM
BullRush Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USF
(10-14-2016 10:07 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The most recent payouts reported by the NCAA indicate that the bowls it aspires to be like (bowls with a relatively high P5 selection (like the Liberty, Texas, Gator, Music City, etc) all have 4-6 million dollar payouts. Last year, the Miami Beach Bowl paid a measly $100K, making it the lowest paying bowl in college football. That's down from a 900K payout in the prior year (first year ever for the Miami Beach Bowl).

That pretty much explains why it struggles to attract a P5 opponent. Games that attract low end P5 opponents all have payouts of over a million.

There's a discussion on the other board on what these numbers actually represent. For example, the Sugar Bowl is listed as only $10
million?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-794442.html
10-14-2016 10:22 AM
Advertisement

MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
(10-14-2016 10:22 AM)BullRush Wrote:  
(10-14-2016 10:07 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The most recent payouts reported by the NCAA indicate that the bowls it aspires to be like (bowls with a relatively high P5 selection (like the Liberty, Texas, Gator, Music City, etc) all have 4-6 million dollar payouts. Last year, the Miami Beach Bowl paid a measly $100K, making it the lowest paying bowl in college football. That's down from a 900K payout in the prior year (first year ever for the Miami Beach Bowl).

There's a discussion on the other board on what these numbers actually represent. For example, the Sugar Bowl is listed as only $10
million?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-794442.html

It doesn't make much sense that the Rose would pay 7 times as much as the Sugar. Regardless of what these numbers represent, those two bowls should be in the same ballpark. That makes the rest of the number suspect.

The AAC should continue trying to build up the Miami Bowl because the conference is in control. It can't be stolen from us if it grows into a quality bowl.
10-14-2016 10:35 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(10-14-2016 10:11 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(10-14-2016 10:07 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The most recent payouts reported by the NCAA indicate that the bowls it aspires to be like (bowls with a realitively high P5 selection like the Liberty, Texas, Gator, Music City, etc) all have 4-6 million dollar payouts. Last year,maths Miami Beaxh Bowl paid 100K, tying for the lowest paying bowl. That's down for a 900K payout in the prior year (first year ever for the Miami Beach Bowl).

That pretty much explains why we struggle to get a P5 opponent. Games that attract low end P5 opponents all have payouts of over a million.

Well in year 1 they got BYU while in year 2 it was WKU. The league owns the bowl so do they have the right/ability to massively drop the payout when it's against a G5 team and increase it if they can get a P5/BYU?

If memory serves, I do believe the AAC can at any given year depending matchups revise the payouts.
10-14-2016 10:56 AM
Advertisement

wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
Commish makes $1.1mm

Our entire programs in all sports makes $2.1mm and the bowl we own pays teams $100k. Makes perfect sense.

I am sure Mickey A will do an amazing radio interview promoting the Beach Bowl match-up.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2016 11:57 AM by wavefan12.)
10-14-2016 11:55 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(10-14-2016 10:56 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  

If memory serves, I do believe the AAC can at any given year depending matchups revise the payouts.

Well then that makes perfect sense to pay WKU peanuts and pay BYU a lot more. Having the flexibility to adjust payout depending on the "quality" of the opponent is one of the big positives of the league owning the game.
10-14-2016 11:58 AM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(10-14-2016 11:58 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(10-14-2016 10:56 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  

Well then that makes perfect sense to pay WKU peanuts and pay BYU a lot more. Having the flexibility to adjust payout depending on the "quality" of the opponent is one of the big positives of the league owning the game.

The Big12 expansion however can if it happens, devalue this league's own bowl, IMO... How?!? AAC losing its upper programs which could make it difficult to attract sponsors.

Now, if the Big12 decides not to expand than the Miami Beach Bowl becomes attractive.
10-14-2016 03:27 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
Good. Cuz it's in a FREAKIN' BASEBALL STADIUM.
10-14-2016 04:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Harry J Offline
Fan of the spoarts

I Root For: Memphis
(10-14-2016 04:48 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Good. Cuz it's in a FREAKIN' BASEBALL STADIUM.

I'd rather go back to Miami over Birmingham.
10-14-2016 11:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.