Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oklahoma fans are restless
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Here's a good article from the Dallas Morning News.

OU fans are restless

They want something to change.

How soon do they get their wish?
10-07-2016 01:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Oklahoma fans are restless
Fans unhappy.

Remember, both their football and basketball programs were in their respective final fours last season. That fan base is extremely angry. If they want out, it will probably cost them a lot unless they can work out an agreement to escape the GOR.

Glad to see the fan base's displeasure is being heard.
10-07-2016 03:33 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-07-2016 03:33 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Fans unhappy.

Remember, both their football and basketball programs were in their respective final fours last season. That fan base is extremely angry. If they want out, it will probably cost them a lot unless they can work out an agreement to escape the GOR.

Well one of things they are unhappy about are the qualities of the home schedules (Texas fans are angry about this as well). The other thing which is implied here is that they want to be in conferences where most conference wins are respected as quality wins. Hence their national profile goes up.
10-07-2016 03:36 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(10-07-2016 03:36 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Well one of things they are unhappy about are the qualities of the home schedules (Texas fans are angry about this as well). The other thing which is implied here is that they want to be in conferences where most conference wins are respected as quality wins. Hence their national profile goes up.

I love the comparison of OU's fan base's feelings right now vs Texas A&M's from just before they moved to the SEC. Really hope they can figure out a way to leave sooner rather than in ten years.
10-07-2016 03:39 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin

Well the quality win piece is something that they really only would get in the SEC because nobody is getting propped up on wins against Purdue, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Oregon State, etc....and Oklahoma doesn't seem thrilled about the prospects of a league where they are not a clear #1 or #2 school in the conference.

The home game piece is definitely hurt by the fact that they never get Texas at home.
10-07-2016 03:44 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-07-2016 03:44 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  

Well the quality win piece is something that they really only would get in the SEC because nobody is getting propped up on wins against Purdue, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Oregon State, etc....and Oklahoma doesn't seem thrilled about the prospects of a league where they are not a clear #1 or #2 school in the conference.

The home game piece is definitely hurt by the fact that they never get Texas at home.

I'd say that was true of Texas as well. But if they do move what they are going to have to settle for is being the clear #1 or #2 in a division. Put UT or OU in a division with Arkansas, L.S.U., Missouri, 2 Mississippi's, a Kansas, and Texas A&M and I'd say by their estimations they would be at least that. In reality they would find that they had a fight on their hands every year with at least 4 of those.
10-07-2016 03:49 PM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
In football they can get quality conferences wins... in basketball not so much.
10-08-2016 10:41 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(10-07-2016 03:39 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

I love the comparison of OU's fan base's feelings right now vs Texas A&M's from just before they moved to the SEC. Really hope they can figure out a way to leave sooner rather than in ten years.

The main difference is that A&M with one voice wanted to move in one direction. OU on the other hand is fairly split between the PAC, B1G and SEC. I think the administration wants either the B1G or PAC.
10-08-2016 12:36 PM
CyclonePower Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Iowa State
personally I think OU goes SEC or Pac. I don't see Big Ten. Even though NU isn't AAU i think it still is a big deal to the Big Ten schools. AAU said it isn't expanding its membership list either so they won't be in for a while. Plus OU doesn't really fit their culture which i think actually matters unlike what other fans think.
10-09-2016 05:02 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(10-09-2016 05:02 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  personally I think OU goes SEC or Pac. I don't see Big Ten. Even though NU isn't AAU i think it still is a big deal to the Big Ten schools. AAU said it isn't expanding its membership list either so they won't be in for a while. Plus OU doesn't really fit their culture which i think actually matters unlike what other fans think.

I'd agree, dont see OU getting enough support from current members to join the Big 10. Nebraska was AAU when they were invited...something OU cannot offer.
10-09-2016 05:15 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-09-2016 05:02 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  personally I think OU goes SEC or Pac. I don't see Big Ten. Even though NU isn't AAU i think it still is a big deal to the Big Ten schools. AAU said it isn't expanding its membership list either so they won't be in for a while. Plus OU doesn't really fit their culture which i think actually matters unlike what other fans think.

In '91-92 the SEC was quietly in discussions with Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and A&M. To the East we were seeking Clemson and Florida State. OU's interest was simply contingent upon what Texas and A&M did. Texas wanted to explore options and the politics weren't right for A&M so OU was out. Bowden, encouraged by a soon to be active network in the process of realignment, headed to the ACC. Clemson was only ever tepid about the prospect and may have been their to spy on the negotiations with F.S.U..

Arkansas said yes. South Carolina found out about our interest in Clemson and applied.

Since that time ESPN's refusal to pay us for additions out of the ACC has steered our interest West.

I say this because the additions of Missouri in lieu of Florida State and the substitution of South Carolina for Clemson has essentially left the original plan intact.

Now if OU did agree to the SEC and ESPN did cajole Texas into the same the plans that the SEC put into motion in '91 under Roy Kramer would come to fruition.

If 16 is the goal for the Big 10 too, then why not Kansas and Iowa State. It fits and balances what they have already done.

After all without the ACC to pick apart neither the SEC nor Big 10 really have that many options.
10-09-2016 05:18 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-09-2016 05:18 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

In '91-92 the SEC was quietly in discussions with Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and A&M. To the East we were seeking Clemson and Florida State. OU's interest was simply contingent upon what Texas and A&M did. Texas wanted to explore options and the politics weren't right for A&M so OU was out. Bowden, encouraged by a soon to be active network in the process of realignment, headed to the ACC. Clemson was only ever tepid about the prospect and may have been their to spy on the negotiations with F.S.U..

Arkansas said yes. South Carolina found out about our interest in Clemson and applied.

Since that time ESPN's refusal to pay us for additions out of the ACC has steered our interest West.

I say this because the additions of Missouri in lieu of Florida State and the substitution of South Carolina for Clemson has essentially left the original plan intact.

Now if OU did agree to the SEC and ESPN did cajole Texas into the same the plans that the SEC put into motion in '91 under Roy Kramer would come to fruition.

If 16 is the goal for the Big 10 too, then why not Kansas and Iowa State. It fits and balances what they have already done.

After all without the ACC to pick apart neither the SEC nor Big 10 really have that many options.

If I'm the B1G though, I'm not interested in Iowa State. Kansas would be an ok addition from their perspective, but I would really want a bigger fish or an equivalent sized fish to go along with them. ISU would be duplicating a small market for them. I just don't see it.

Assuming there's no great compromise between the networks then I think the SEC should go to 20 in order to hoard content.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State, Colorado State, and BYU

The additions of UT, OU, and KU are self-explanatory. ISU is a solid brand in a new state and it happens to be an AAU school. More than that, you need a 4th if you're going to bother taking Kansas and I think ESPN will certainly want to keep them in the fold some way somehow. CSU is kind of a small time brand right now, but it's a good school in a growing market...a market that doesn't really have a dominant brand although Colorado is the more established entity. CSU is building a new stadium so they've committed to being a solid athletic brand if they get the opportunity.

But why bother going that direction at all? In order to build a bridge to BYU. BYU is another ESPN property and they would multiply the content value of most games they're in. They have a very solid fan base in the growing state of Utah, but they have a national one as well. The problem with BYU is that they don't fit anywhere else so getting the SEC to take them is actually the most logical action from ESPN's perspective. They'd make a lot more off a BYU in a major conference than an independent BYU.

It looks like the ACC has been established as the conference of the East Coast so WVU goes that direction along with a fully joined Notre Dame.

I know that's an odd alignment for us, but there comes the question of what to do with the LHN. I know we talked a little about adding a 2nd network, but I don't see ESPN going for that. I imagine they'll simply change the format for the LHN and use it to show a broader scope of content.

ESPN has already weakened their ESPNU lineup with the addition of an ACCN and losing some of the rights to the B1G. They have to think about their entire platform and unlike the ACC needing a new channel, the SEC doesn't need that 2nd network to remain viable.

So why are we worried about moving that far west? To make up for lost earning potential of the LHN...

The broader the reach and higher sub fees we get from the SECN, the more we make everyone happy. I don't think we can get the LHN as a 2nd SECN so here's another way to generate revenue.
10-10-2016 11:19 AM
YNot Online
All American

I Root For: BYU
(10-10-2016 11:19 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State, Colorado State, and BYU

The only way that BYU will ever be part of the SEC is in the B1G-SEC world domination scenario. This would mean that UCLA, Cal, Oregon, and Arizona are also part of the SEC. (And, USC, Stanford, ASU, Utah, Colorado, and Washington are in the B1G with Notre Dame).

Not exactly a realistic scenario.

(10-10-2016 11:19 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  But why bother going that direction at all? In order to build a bridge to BYU. BYU is another ESPN property and they would multiply the content value of most games they're in. They have a very solid fan base in the growing state of Utah, but they have a national one as well. The problem with BYU is that they don't fit anywhere else so getting the SEC to take them is actually the most logical action from ESPN's perspective. They'd make a lot more off a BYU in a major conference than an independent BYU.

ESPN does well with BYU inventory, especially because of the nice margins that come from getting BYU at bargain price. I don't see why ESPN would want to change that.
10-10-2016 03:18 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-10-2016 03:18 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 11:19 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  But why bother going that direction at all? In order to build a bridge to BYU. BYU is another ESPN property and they would multiply the content value of most games they're in. They have a very solid fan base in the growing state of Utah, but they have a national one as well. The problem with BYU is that they don't fit anywhere else so getting the SEC to take them is actually the most logical action from ESPN's perspective. They'd make a lot more off a BYU in a major conference than an independent BYU.

ESPN does well with BYU inventory, especially because of the nice margins that come from getting BYU at bargain price. I don't see why ESPN would want to change that.

I didn't say they didn't do well. I said they could do better by making sure all of BYU's match-ups are against other highly rated opponents.

BYU currently comes at a bargain price, but that's not sustainable long term as we move towards larger major conferences. If the great split comes and I think it will then BYU is going to have a tough time scheduling quality opponents because everyone is going to be playing more conference games and leaving fewer opportunities on the table.

Plus, if Notre Dame joins the ACC fully then look for ESPN to capitalize of the official extinction of the independence model for major college football.
10-10-2016 03:53 PM
YNot Online
All American

I Root For: BYU
(10-10-2016 03:53 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I didn't say they didn't do well. I said they could do better by making sure all of BYU's match-ups are against other highly rated opponents.

BYU currently comes at a bargain price, but that's not sustainable long term as we move towards larger major conferences. If the great split comes and I think it will then BYU is going to have a tough time scheduling quality opponents because everyone is going to be playing more conference games and leaving fewer opportunities on the table.

Plus, if Notre Dame joins the ACC fully then look for ESPN to capitalize of the official extinction of the independence model for major college football.

I absolutely agree that BYU could be in a tough spot if it's not in a major conference. And, I do think that ESPN will try to get BYU attractive games and try to keep them somewhat relevant. However, I don't see why ESPN would help BYU get into the SEC or why the SEC would consider to invite BYU.

BYU has never played: Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, LSU (first game next September), South Carolina, Tennessee, or Vanderbilt.

1 game in its history against each of Alabama, Georgia, Kansas, and Ole Miss.

2 games against each of Missouri (third game in 2020!), Oklahoma, and Mississippi St. (third game this Friday! and fourth game in 2017!).

So, BYU has played 3-5 games against Texas, Texas A&M, and Iowa St....not the ideal conference scenario.
10-10-2016 04:55 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-10-2016 04:55 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 03:53 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I absolutely agree that BYU could be in a tough spot if it's not in a major conference. And, I do think that ESPN will try to get BYU attractive games and try to keep them somewhat relevant. However, I don't see why ESPN would help BYU get into the SEC or why the SEC would consider to invite BYU.

BYU has never played: Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, LSU (first game next September), South Carolina, Tennessee, or Vanderbilt.

1 game in its history against each of Alabama, Georgia, Kansas, and Ole Miss.

2 games against each of Missouri (third game in 2020!), Oklahoma, and Mississippi St. (third game this Friday! and fourth game in 2017!).

So, BYU has played 3-5 games against Texas, Texas A&M, and Iowa St....not the ideal conference scenario.

No, you're right. It's not ideal for either and it's probably total fantasy on my part to even bring it up, but I think it may actually be the least disruptive move.

The PAC would never accept BYU due to the politics. The B1G might be in the same boat, but either way they are not an ESPN property so it might not matter. The ACC would be an even more odd fit geographically. So that leaves the SEC as the best cultural fit.

It's more likely BYU either remains independent or joins a 'best of the rest league' once the Big 12 powers finally depart. I do think BYU deserves to be in a major conference though.
10-10-2016 07:28 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

(10-10-2016 11:19 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

But why bother going that direction at all? In order to build a bridge to BYU.

:lmfao:
10-11-2016 08:49 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2016 08:49 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

03-lmfao

I know it's ridiculous, but ESPN will want them somewhere.
10-11-2016 11:32 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-11-2016 11:32 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

03-lmfao

They belong in the PAC with New Mexico, Nevada/U.N.L.V., and Texas Tech
10-11-2016 12:52 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(10-11-2016 12:52 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 11:32 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 05:18 PM)JRsec Wrote:  In '91-92 the SEC was quietly in discussions with Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and A&M. To the East we were seeking Clemson and Florida State. OU's interest was simply contingent upon what Texas and A&M did. Texas wanted to explore options and the politics weren't right for A&M so OU was out. Bowden, encouraged by a soon to be active network in the process of realignment, headed to the ACC. Clemson was only ever tepid about the prospect and may have been their to spy on the negotiations with F.S.U..

03-lmfao

They belong in the PAC with New Mexico, Nevada/U.N.L.V., and Texas Tech

Close JR, that group belongs in the Mountain West with TCU
10-11-2016 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.