Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So you are ESPN
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
So you are ESPN
So you are ESPN. You have nixed a Big 12 network, and green lighted an ACC network.

You own 100% of the rights of the ACC and American (and BYU). You own 50% of the rights of the Big 12.

Would you rather:

1. Elevate American schools to the Big 12, giving Fox half their inventory in exchange for half price on the added cost?

2. Elevate American schools to the ACC, retaining all their inventory but paying full freight on the added cost?

3. Keep the American schools in the American (and be forced to give them a raise)?

I went back and looked at the ESPN offer to the Big East in 2011 that was rejected. Funny thing is, if you add:

1. The American TV deal
2. The money Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, West Va, Rutgers make in the power conferences.
3. The money Fox paid the Big East basketball schools

It's about the same.

ESPN offer was $130M per year to the Big East.

American gets $24M per year.
Big East gets $50M per year.
The five schools who moved up get about $100M per year.

That's $174M.

So let's say ESPN would pay the American $90M per year beginning in 2019 through 2025. That's about $8M per all sport school.

If ESPN moved Cincy and Houston to the ACC at $20M per year to get access to Texas and Ohio for the ACC Network, ESPN comes out even or ahead if that means the next American deal can be kept at $50M per year or less due to the ACC "raid."

So what option appeals most to ESPN?
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 09:46 AM by CougarRed.)
09-26-2016 09:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: So you are ESPN
It's actually more-
you have the other 11 ACC schools that are getting lets say 5 million more each because of the additions. That's 55M more.

So the new number is more like $230 million.
09-26-2016 09:52 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
I think ESPN would prefer to park BYU, Boise St., Air Force, and SDSU in the AAC and take the money that it was paying to the MWC and BYU to help pay for the AAC raise. No Big 12 or ACC expansion at this time. I don't think it's a coincidence that the AAC, MWC, and BYU media contracts all end after the 2019-2020 athletic year.

So, ESPN offers the expanded AAC $130M for 16 schools (about $8M per school) and 100% ownership of some solid football and basketball inventory to replace the loss of B1G inventory and ACC inventory (to the ACC network).

I could also see a split AAC deal with ESPN and CBS.

CBS likes the military games and college basketball. So, CBS pays for Army-Navy and perhaps a couple of other major football games for CBS, and some lower-tier football games for CBSSN. CBS also pays for more basketball games and the AAC basketball tournament rights.

ESPN gets the majority of the AAC football inventory for ABC/ESPN/2/U, including weekly Thursday and Friday night games. ESPN also gets basketball inventory.

Not sure how the split would go, but perhaps $80M from ESPN and $50M from CBS.

ESPN gets 50 AAC football games and first pick, except for Army-Navy, and the CCG. 75 basketball games.

CBS gets 25 AAC football games (including Army-Navy). 100 basketball games and first pick (25 games for CBS and 75 games for CBSSN), plus the AAC basketball tournament.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 10:57 AM by YNot.)
09-26-2016 10:50 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
I would keep the American schools in the American, but wouldn't pay them a penny more. I would also would not be disappointed if the Big 12 dissolved and I would try to move the properties I wanted to keep into the ACC or the SEC if that did happen.
09-26-2016 11:14 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(09-26-2016 10:50 AM)YNot Wrote:  I think ESPN would prefer to park BYU, Boise St., Air Force, and SDSU in the AAC and take the money that it was paying to the MWC and BYU to help pay for the AAC raise. No Big 12 or ACC expansion at this time. I don't think it's a coincidence that the AAC, MWC, and BYU media contracts all end after the 2019-2020 athletic year.

So, ESPN offers the expanded AAC $130M for 16 schools (about $8M per school) and 100% ownership of some solid football and basketball inventory to replace the loss of B1G inventory and ACC inventory (to the ACC network).

CBS likes the military games and college basketball. So, CBS pays for Army-Navy and perhaps a couple of other major football games for CBS, and some lower-tier football games for CBSSN. CBS also pays for more basketball games and the AAC basketball tournament rights.

ESPN gets the majority of the AAC football inventory for ABC/ESPN/2/U, including weekly Thursday and Friday night games. ESPN also gets basketball inventory.

ESPN gets 50 AAC football games and first pick, except for Army-Navy, and the CCG. 75 basketball games.

CBS gets 25 AAC football games (including Army-Navy). 100 basketball games and first pick (25 games for CBS and 75 games for CBSSN), plus the AAC basketball tournament.

You didn't answer the question. You listed a scenerio you want to happen for BYU instead.
Cheers!
09-26-2016 12:04 PM
YNot Offline
All American

(09-26-2016 12:04 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 10:50 AM)YNot Wrote:  I think ESPN would prefer to park BYU, Boise St., Air Force, and SDSU in the AAC and take the money that it was paying to the MWC and BYU to help pay for the AAC raise. No Big 12 or ACC expansion at this time. I don't think it's a coincidence that the AAC, MWC, and BYU media contracts all end after the 2019-2020 athletic year.

You didn't answer the question. You listed a scenerio you want to happen for BYU instead.
Cheers!

Option #3, executed under one of the alternatives outlined in my response. It's not a coincidence that the AAC, MWC, and BYU TV deals come up for renewal/replacement all at the same time.
09-26-2016 12:34 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-26-2016 09:45 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  So you are ESPN. You have nixed a Big 12 network, and green lighted an ACC network.

You own 100% of the rights of the ACC and American (and BYU). You own 50% of the rights of the Big 12.

Would you rather:

1. Elevate American schools to the Big 12, giving Fox half their inventory in exchange for half price on the added cost?

2. Elevate American schools to the ACC, retaining all their inventory but paying full freight on the added cost?

3. Keep the American schools in the American (and be forced to give them a raise)?

I went back and looked at the ESPN offer to the Big East in 2011 that was rejected. Funny thing is, if you add:

1. The American TV deal
2. The money Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, West Va, Rutgers make in the power conferences.

It's about the same.

That's $174M.

So let's say ESPN would pay the American $90M per year beginning in 2019 through 2025. That's about $8M per all sport school.

If ESPN moved Cincy and Houston to the ACC at $20M per year to get access to Texas and Ohio for the ACC Network, ESPN comes out even or ahead if that means the next American deal can be kept at $50M per year or less due to the ACC "raid."

UC and UH aren't getting ACC invites.
09-26-2016 12:50 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(09-26-2016 12:34 PM)YNot Wrote:  

Cheers!

Option #3, executed under one of the alternatives outlined in my response. It's not a coincidence that the AAC, MWC, and BYU TV deals come up for renewal/replacement all at the same time.

I thought BYU signed a 6 year deal with ESPN? This would be year 6 of the deal. You are right about the MWC and AAC being done in 2019/20. Did BYU sign a 4 year extension with BYU?
Cheers!
09-26-2016 12:58 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(09-26-2016 12:58 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Cheers!

I thought BYU signed a 6 year deal with ESPN? This would be year 6 of the deal. You are right about the MWC and AAC being done in 2019/20. Did BYU sign a 4 year extension with BYU?
Cheers!

No, it was a 8 year deal, with a 1 year option. Started in '11 so '11 thru '18 seasons, with '19 as the option.

this is actually year #7.
09-26-2016 01:02 PM
YNot Offline
All American

(09-26-2016 01:02 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 12:58 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I thought BYU signed a 6 year deal with ESPN? This would be year 6 of the deal. You are right about the MWC and AAC being done in 2019/20. Did BYU sign a 4 year extension with BYU?
Cheers!

No, it was a 8 year deal, with a 1 year option. Started in '11 so '11 thru '18 seasons, with '19 as the option.

And there's no way that ESPN skips on the 2019 option; BYU has home games against Utah, USC, Washington, and Boise St.
09-26-2016 01:17 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

it is pretty wild that all of the AAC, MWC, and BYU are up the same season.....

I wonder if we may see something where the AAC offers BYU a Notre Dame type of deal to get BYU basketball into the fold.
09-26-2016 01:23 PM
Advertisement

Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
I think it was done on purpose for all the deals to expire in 2019. I think the Mountain West might be assed out on the next contract. NBC Sports should bid on the tier-1 rights to American & Mountain West then try to snag the rights to Army home games & BYU. But it depends on conflicting with their PGA Tour, NHL & NASCAR rights. You could possibly rebrand Golf Channel into NBCSN2, I mean Comcast SportsNet should already be rebranding to NBC Sports Regional, Comcast has a horrible brand reputation unlike NBC so CSN Bay Area etc could be NBC Sports Bay Area like FOX Sports does with their regional networks.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 01:59 PM by Realignment.)
09-26-2016 01:57 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
I think they will go with option 4

Keep the American schools in the American - and give them less money.
09-26-2016 01:59 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(09-26-2016 09:52 AM)stever20 Wrote:  It's actually more-
you have the other 11 ACC schools that are getting lets say 5 million more each because of the additions. That's 55M more.

1. 11? What happened to the other 3?

2. Not sure why you think they'd get such a big boost... if it's ACC Network money, that's revenue neutral to ESPN.
09-26-2016 02:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

(09-26-2016 02:58 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 09:52 AM)stever20 Wrote:  It's actually more-

1. 11? What happened to the other 3?

2. Not sure why you think they'd get such a big boost... if it's ACC Network money, that's revenue neutral to ESPN.

I was talking about the ones that weren't added(Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse)- that were already in the ACC- like UNC, Duke, Va Tech, etc. Because of their addition, the ACC contract went up. So the 11 existing schools instead of getting say 15 million dollars are now getting 20 million dollars.
09-26-2016 03:31 PM
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
(09-26-2016 12:50 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 09:45 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  So you are ESPN. You have nixed a Big 12 network, and green lighted an ACC network.

Would you rather:

1. The American TV deal

It's about the same.

That's $174M.

UC and UH aren't getting ACC invites.

ACC won't create an island for Houston even they are good this year. And they will choose UConn over Cincinnati because UConn is a state flagship institution.
09-26-2016 03:40 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
If your ESPN. You don't want the Big 12 to survive. You want them to fall apart so you can bolster the ACC ( Independent Texas ), SEC ( Oklahoma, and plus 1 ), and the rest to the American.
09-26-2016 03:54 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-26-2016 03:54 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  If your ESPN. You don't want the Big 12 to survive. You want them to fall apart so you can bolster the ACC ( Independent Texas ), SEC ( Oklahoma, and plus 1 ), and the rest to the American.

I tend to agree.

I can see MIZZOU and KU in the B1G. MIZZOU is weird in the SEC. I think that they'd rather be in the B1G, and I don't think that the SEC would mind losing them if a better replacement was available.

I can see the SEC taking WVU to replace MIZZOU (upgrade) and adding OU and Oklahoma State.

I can see Texas being ND 2.0 in the ACC.

I can see the Pac holding steady.

I can see the remaining Big XII raiding the western AAC (Houston, SMU, Tulane, etc) and/or possibly Rice.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 05:10 PM by nzmorange.)
09-26-2016 05:06 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

Cheers!

Cheers!

No, it's actually Year #6 Stever. BYU signed a 6 yr deal worth 800k per home game.
2010: BYU was in the MWC
2011: indy year 1
2012: Indy year 2
2013: Indy year 3
2014: Indy year 4
2015: Indy year 5
2016: Indy year 6
So unless BYU signed a 4 year extension....I don't get how it ends in 2019/20.
Cheers!
09-26-2016 05:10 PM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

(09-26-2016 05:10 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 12:04 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  You didn't answer the question. You listed a scenerio you want to happen for BYU instead.
Cheers!

Cheers!

No, it's actually Year #6 Stever. BYU signed a 6 yr deal worth 800k per home game.
2010: BYU was in the MWC
2011: indy year 1
2012: Indy year 2
2013: Indy year 3
2014: Indy year 4
2015: Indy year 5
2016: Indy year 6
So unless BYU signed a 4 year extension....I don't get how it ends in 2019/20.
Cheers!

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...Games.aspx
Published September 2, 2010
ESPN and Brigham Young Univ. yesterday announced an eight-year agreement that gives the net exclusive rights to BYU home football games during the '11-18 college football seasons. ESPN has an option to extend the agreement through '19.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 05:33 PM by f1do.)
09-26-2016 05:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.