Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why don't La. Tech. And La. Monroe merge??
Bookmark and Share
Double Eagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USM
Why don't La. Tech. And La. Monroe merge??
Two schools 35 miles apart or so, on I-20 are D-1 and compete for many of the same recruits. Why don't they merge into one school? Attendance would go from 25,000 or so to 45 to 50,000 and they would have so much more money and even better recruiting. Build a new 50,000 seat stadium and there would be a lot of excitement in North Louisiana....Has this ever been proposed? If so, who shot it down? Why do the same old thing and get nowhere? Heck La Tech almost beat the Hawgs this past Saturday. Think what they could do with more money and a lot more fans....
Call it the University of North Louisiana...Why not?
09-06-2016 10:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Why don't La. Tech. And La. Monroe merge??
(09-06-2016 10:05 PM)Double Eagle Wrote:  Two schools 35 miles apart or so, on I-20 are D-1 and compete for many of the same recruits. Why don't they merge into one school? Attendance would go from 25,000 or so to 45 to 50,000 and they would have so much more money and even better recruiting. Build a new 50,000 seat stadium and there would be a lot of excitement in North Louisiana....Has this ever been proposed? If so, who shot it down? Why do the same old thing and get nowhere? Heck La Tech almost beat the Hawgs this past Saturday. Think what they could do with more money and a lot more fans....

Wow. You are trying to start a fight ain't you. Lol.
09-06-2016 10:07 PM
Herd-in-ATL Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall, UGA
(09-06-2016 10:07 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 10:05 PM)Double Eagle Wrote:  Two schools 35 miles apart or so, on I-20 are D-1 and compete for many of the same recruits. Why don't they merge into one school? Attendance would go from 25,000 or so to 45 to 50,000 and they would have so much more money and even better recruiting. Build a new 50,000 seat stadium and there would be a lot of excitement in North Louisiana....Has this ever been proposed? If so, who shot it down? Why do the same old thing and get nowhere? Heck La Tech almost beat the Hawgs this past Saturday. Think what they could do with more money and a lot more fans....

Wow. You are trying to start a fight ain't you. Lol.

LOL.... I was thinking the same thing... It's about to all kinds of nasty up in here.04-chairshot
09-06-2016 10:15 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Shhhhhh... He doesn't know better
09-06-2016 10:17 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
hey look everybody, EE got a new profile
09-06-2016 10:26 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
Folks are always wondering IF Miss'sippi only had 1 SEC team ala Louisiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, Georgia, FL and S. Carolina, what a dayem power that school would be (yeah, try to get MSUcks or Old Misery fans to buy that deal)....but what they would really like to do is, of course, merge USM football into their system.

Remember, Arkansas has basically the same population as Mississippi, but only ONE SEC program (and Arky State, for some unknown reason, has never developed as a #2 in-state power, as Ga Tech, "Clempson" and FSU have..)...and they have no JUCO football or traditional Black powers as we do in Miss'sippi..

So the question is, Wal Mart enthusiasts, why does UA struggle more NOW than when they were in the Old Southwest Conference?
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016 10:29 PM by eaglebeaver.)
09-06-2016 10:27 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

The same reason EMU doesn't merge with Michigan or the BUGS with Toledo or Kent State with Akron. And for that matter the same reason Idaho and Washington State don't merge. All of the schools I mentioned are a lot closer to each other than ULM and Tech.
09-06-2016 10:59 PM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
(09-06-2016 10:27 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  
Folks are always wondering IF Miss'sippi only had 1 SEC team ala Louisiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, Georgia, FL and S. Carolina, what a dayem power that school would be (yeah, try to get MSUcks or Old Misery fans to buy that deal)....but what they would really like to do is, of course, merge USM football into their system.

Remember, Arkansas has basically the same population as Mississippi, but only ONE SEC program (and Arky State, for some unknown reason, has never developed as a #2 in-state power, as Ga Tech, "Clempson" and FSU have..)...and they have no JUCO football or traditional Black powers as we do in Miss'sippi..

So the question is, Wal Mart enthusiasts, why does UA struggle more NOW than when they were in the Old Southwest Conference?

Isn't, technically, FSU the #1 footballing power in the state of Florida?
09-06-2016 11:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-06-2016 11:18 PM)goliath74 Wrote:  Isn't, technically, FSU the #1 footballing power in the state of Florida?

I think he is referring to fan base and that still belongs to Florida and most likely always will.
09-06-2016 11:33 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
This is done.
09-07-2016 12:57 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I think it's a decent question. The better option would be for ULM to just shut down (or at least shut down the athletic dept). In theory, Tech would attract more of the Monroe market and grow it's fan base. However, Monroe is a HUGE LSU city, so it wouldn't likely affect Tech very much. LSU would probably get a small bump in it's fan base.
09-07-2016 07:01 AM
Advertisement

eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-06-2016 10:26 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  hey look everybody, EE got a new profile

No, not EE. If it had been me I would have suggested that Grambling be included since they are only five miles from Tech. Close both Grambling and Tech and move it all from the country into the city, Monroe. You would have tv stations, airport, and other amenities not available in the small towns of Ruston and Grambling. Call it U of North La or whatever. Initial full time enrollment would be around 15,000 and grow it from there.
09-07-2016 12:11 PM
Double Eagle Offline
Water Engineer

(09-07-2016 07:01 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  I think it's a decent question. The better option would be for ULM to just shut down (or at least shut down the athletic dept). In theory, Tech would attract more of the Monroe market and grow it's fan base. However, Monroe is a HUGE LSU city, so it wouldn't likely affect Tech very much. LSU would probably get a small bump in it's fan base.

Hey Thanks! Don't normally get " think it is a decent question" ...Usually hate mail! Oh well, it does seem a good proposal to join forces in some manner, build a cool new stadium, and have an even better program with much more money...You guys are so close together there on I 20...
09-07-2016 04:40 PM
Double Eagle Offline
Water Engineer

(09-06-2016 10:27 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  

Hey, count me in at Wal Mart...The one in Fort Walton had two for one on Cheetos .
Ate the whole bag watching the Rebel Semiholes game. Hogs are so bad one day Arkansas State will overtake them...
09-07-2016 04:46 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
And I'd say that Clemson is the #1 power in SC with the #1 fan base...
09-08-2016 08:51 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(09-07-2016 04:40 PM)Double Eagle Wrote:  
(09-07-2016 07:01 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  I think it's a decent question. The better option would be for ULM to just shut down (or at least shut down the athletic dept). In theory, Tech would attract more of the Monroe market and grow it's fan base. However, Monroe is a HUGE LSU city, so it wouldn't likely affect Tech very much. LSU would probably get a small bump in it's fan base.

Hey Thanks! Don't normally get " think it is a decent question" ...Usually hate mail! Oh well, it does seem a good proposal to join forces in some manner, build a cool new stadium, and have an even better program with much more money...You guys are so close together there on I 20...

It's so stupid. ULM was originally a JUCO, but grew into a University. I don't think a JUCO was even needed that close to Tech. Louisiana (the state) loves having a ton of universities for some reason. There are about 6 too many in the state, imo. I think they will have to make some changes at some point in the future and close a few of them.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 09:09 AM by T_Won1.)
09-08-2016 09:08 AM
Advertisement

HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(09-08-2016 09:08 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  

It's so stupid. ULM was originally a JUCO, but grew into a University. I don't think a JUCO was even needed that close to Tech. Louisiana (the state) loves having a ton of universities for some reason. There are about 6 too many in the state, imo. I think they will have to make some changes at some point in the future and close a few of them.

Agreed. There are simply too many universities in the state of Louisiana today. Is it any wonder the state politicians constantly complain about the costs of higher education?

ULM should be shut down and immediately rolled under the purview of LA Tech University. This would eliminate a lot of unnecessary job and facility duplication. For example, there were be no need for two university presidents, two VP staffs, two accounting departments, two coaching staffs, two football and baseball stadiums, etc..... A merger done right would probably save Louisiana taxpayers at least $50M per year.

The simple fact is, LA Tech is a very successful university academically (its' one of only two public universities in Louisiana that holds Tier One University status) and athletically (CUSA member with long history of success). LA Tech's central location --right in the middle of north Louisiana-- makes it ideal for drawing students from the Shreveport-Bossier area to the west, the Monroe and northeast Louisiana area to the east, and of course Alexandria to the south.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 11:17 AM by HogDawg.)
09-08-2016 11:16 AM
chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(09-07-2016 12:11 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 10:26 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  hey look everybody, EE got a new profile

No, not EE. If it had been me I would have suggested that Grambling be included since they are only five miles from Tech. Close both Grambling and Tech and move it all from the country into the city, Monroe. You would have tv stations, airport, and other amenities not available in the small towns of Ruston and Grambling. Call it U of North La or whatever. Initial full time enrollment would be around 15,000 and grow it from there.

Now EE, we've been reading your posts for a long time. You would NOT have said combine Grambling and Tech, because you're smarter than that. You're trying to jab Tech fans. You have regularly talked about the politics of Louisiana, so YOU KNOW that ANY effort to remove or diminish Grambling's status as an HBCU would NEVER happen.

Besides being a political stick of dynamite, the missions of the 2 universities are completely different. Tech is a National Research University, legislated by the state of Louisiana as a "Statewide" Doctoral university. Grambling is a regional, masters school. But, like I said, you KNOW this.

I also think it is a legitimate question about Tech and ULM. Contrary to what you may read or hear, we don't all hate them. Truth is, most of us in north Louisiana have family members who either went to school at both, or the other. When we talk about bad blood -- it's more of a family thing, so it doesn't really count, at least to me. I don't LOVE them, but I am enough of a business person to realize what they mean to our regional economy.

Several years ago, under a different president, it was being talked...apparently OFTEN...about Tech consolidating with ULM. ULM was a hot mess. They barely had enough money to keep the parking lot lights on...and that is no exaggeration. That once proud institution was literally on the verge of bankruptcy. If a consolidation or merger could have taken place, THAT was the time to do it...(around 1998-2005).

There were/are programs at ULM that TECH would benefit greatly from, and vice-versa. The problems that you would run into again are political in the 1998-2005 scenario, the conventional wisdom would state that Tech takes over ULM, ULM becomes Louisiana Tech-Monroe. Enter Nick Bruno as President of ULM in 2010. Dr. Bruno, whom I know to be a good guy, has done a great job with the pile of crap he was handed...and the school in Monroe is turning around under his leadership. The campus looks better than it has in many years, and a pride is returning to their students and alumni that has been sorely missing for years. I truly am happy to see the turnaround.

The only way a merger or consolidation would happen is if it were forced by the state, and I don't see that happening...because of Louisiana politics...2 chickens in every pot, ya know!
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 08:26 AM by chuckk3.)
09-09-2016 07:01 AM
chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(09-08-2016 09:08 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  

I'd go as far as to say it was a calculated move by the state to ENSURE the superiority of LSUA&M@BR.

Think about it...if you slice the pie into enough pieces, you can dilute individual school support to a point that protects the flagship from any in-state challenge.

Financially it is a horrible move. Politically, it's a brilliant one.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 08:31 AM by chuckk3.)
09-09-2016 08:30 AM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-09-2016 07:01 AM)chuckk3 Wrote:  
(09-07-2016 12:11 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  

Now EE, we've been reading your posts for a long time. You would NOT have said combine Grambling and Tech, because you're smarter than that. You're trying to jab Tech fans. You have regularly talked about the politics of Louisiana, so YOU KNOW that ANY effort to remove or diminish Grambling's status as an HBCU would NEVER happen.

Besides being a political stick of dynamite, the missions of the 2 universities are completely different. Tech is a National Research University, legislated by the state of Louisiana as a "Statewide" Doctoral university. Grambling is a regional, masters school. But, like I said, you KNOW this.

I also think it is a legitimate question about Tech and ULM. Contrary to what you may read or hear, we don't all hate them. Truth is, most of us in north Louisiana have family members who either went to school at both, or the other. When we talk about bad blood -- it's more of a family thing, so it doesn't really count, at least to me. I don't LOVE them, but I am enough of a business person to realize what they mean to our regional economy.

Several years ago, under a different president, it was being talked...apparently OFTEN...about Tech consolidating with ULM. ULM was a hot mess. They barely had enough money to keep the parking lot lights on...and that is no exaggeration. That once proud institution was literally on the verge of bankruptcy. If a consolidation or merger could have taken place, THAT was the time to do it...(around 1998-2005).

There were/are programs at ULM that TECH would benefit greatly from, and vice-versa. The problems that you would run into again are political in the 1998-2005 scenario, the conventional wisdom would state that Tech takes over ULM, ULM becomes Louisiana Tech-Monroe. Enter Nick Bruno as President of ULM in 2010. Dr. Bruno, whom I know to be a good guy, has done a great job with the pile of crap he was handed...and the school in Monroe is turning around under his leadership. The campus looks better than it has in many years, and a pride is returning to their students and alumni that has been sorely missing for years. I truly am happy to see the turnaround.

The only way a merger or consolidation would happen is if it were forced by the state, and I don't see that happening...because of Louisiana politics...2 chickens in every pot, ya know!
09-10-2016 06:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.