Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Actual Expansion News!
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Actual Expansion News!
After months of trying and failing to secure a nickname, the new Las Vegas NHL team appears to FINALLY have it's nickname.

The good news is it is definitely unique to that market. Also, as per the NHL's mandate, it will not reference the gambling industry.

The bad news is that it's pretty minor league sounding - which is never good.

All and all, I guess the nicest thing I can say about this choice is that it could've been worse.

Report: Las Vegas opts for dumb nickname over awful nickname
08-27-2016 07:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
RE: Actual Expansion News!
i was hoping for 'gamblers'

i guess it just wasnt in the cards
08-27-2016 08:10 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
So I guess they're always gonna bow down to the Kings and Senators with a name like that? 03-lmfao
08-27-2016 08:18 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I mean I get it. It's a play on words, or maybe its not. Instead of Desert nights, they say Desert Knights instead.

But what do Knights historically have anything to do with the Desert? Wouldn't it make more sense to be Desert Pharaohs or Desert Sultans or something like that?
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2016 08:30 AM by goofus.)
08-27-2016 08:28 AM
Heisman

(08-27-2016 08:10 AM)Cardiff Wrote:  i was hoping for 'gamblers'

i guess it just wasnt in the cards

Please show yourself out...
08-27-2016 08:32 AM
Heisman

(08-27-2016 08:18 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  So I guess they're always gonna bow down to the Kings and Senators with a name like that? 03-lmfao

You too...
08-27-2016 08:32 AM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

^

If you had as much common sense as you root for, you'd know how good of an analogy that was.

(08-27-2016 08:28 AM)goofus Wrote:  I mean I get it. It's a play on words, or maybe its not. Instead of Desert nights, they say Desert Knights instead.

But what do Knights historically have anything to do with the Desert? Wouldn't it make more sense to be Desert Pharaohs or Desert Sultans or something like that?

That doesn't roll off the tongue as well nor does it fit well into newspaper headlines (would you call them the 'Rohs or Sultans)? DK's has an easier short hand for both common reference and headlines (who still reads newspapers in print? I digress).
08-27-2016 08:47 AM
Heisman

(08-27-2016 08:28 AM)goofus Wrote:  I mean I get it. It's a play on words, or maybe its not. Instead of Desert nights, they say Desert Knights instead.

It has nothing to do with the desert or even the city of Las Vegas. This nickname is all about the owner and his personal preferences.

Bill Foley, the man who (foolishly?) plunked down $500 million for an NHL franchise, and a very proud graduate of West Point, wanted to honor his alma mater by naming his hockey team after it.

However, a few entities, including the United States government, objected to that idea so he instead sought to name the team simply "Knights" to kind of circumvent the whole deal.

The problem with that idea is that there is a very prominent team in the Ontario Hockey League, in the Canadian juniors, called the London Knights. Think of it as an NFL expansion team trying to call itself the Las Vegas Crimson Tide and you see the conflict.

As an aside, a lot of people don't realize/remember this but the Colorado Avalanche ran into the same problem when they relocated from Quebec City back in the mid 90s.

Their original plan was to nickname themselves the Rocky Mountain Black Bears - which would have been awesome! Alas, that's the University of Maine's nickname and they were threatening to sue, so Colorado went in a different direction.

Again though, their second choice was actually the Colorado Extreme – which may have been the worst nickname in professional sports history had it gone through. However, fortunately for all concerned, there was such an intense fan backlash against that nickname that they quickly scratched that plan and settled on Avalanche, which obviously sucks but is not as bad as Extreme.

I think the nickname Wild is the worst nickname in the NHL and arguably all of professional sports. Minnesota has a ton of cool things happening in that state and they went with the most generic name possible.

Extremely disappointing. Still better than Extreme though. They should've worked out a deal with the Dallas franchise to bring back a nickname North Stars – which was at one time arguably the NHL's coolest nickname.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2016 09:02 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
08-27-2016 08:55 AM
Heisman

Incidentally, earlier I referenced the fact that the US government was among several powerful entities that STRONGLY opposed the nickname Black Knights for the Las Vegas expansion team; which Foley had made crystal clear from the very beginning was his strong preference.

One of those entities was reportedly none other than the NHL's own Chicago Blackhawks. If that is true that's absolutely absurd. They don't have a monopoly on the color or the word "Black" and their nickname, when shortened, is always "Hawks."

To be honest, I did not believe it when I first heard it on NHL radio from some insider. However, given that literally all of the other finalists included the word Hawks in the nickname, I now tend to believe those reports. That feels to me an awful lot like a middle finger being extended in Chicago's general direction.

I'm glad that cooler heads finally prevailed.

He will basically be able to use all of the logos he's probably had planned from the beginning. He will just have to slightly modify the name from Black Knights to Desert Knights - no big deal.

It still sounds minor-league-ish but I'm sure we will all get used to it. After all, lots of expansion teams have absolutely horrendous names – Thunder, Wild, Avalanche, Lightning all spring to mind – and we eventually got used to those terrible names. I'm sure we will get used to this latest terrible nickname too.
08-27-2016 09:21 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I don't like when two-word cities choose two-word nicknames. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays eventually shortened their name to the Tampa Bay Rays, and I can could see Vegas eventually becoming the Las Vegas Knights, which sounds better than Desert Knights to me.

I guess if they wanted to tick off Chicago, they could have chosen the Las Vegas Black Holes, because, you know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
08-27-2016 09:51 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
What's wrong with Las Vegas strippers
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2016 10:02 AM by bluesox.)
08-27-2016 10:01 AM
Advertisement

colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
Las Vegas Stand-up Comedians.
08-27-2016 10:04 AM
LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
One would think "Dark Knights" would be the obvious backup plan if Black Knights wasn't available. Just make sure the logo doesn't resemble any Batman properties.
08-27-2016 10:06 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Las Vegas Hockey McHockey Faces.
08-27-2016 10:11 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(08-27-2016 09:51 AM)Chappy Wrote:  I don't like when two-word cities choose two-word nicknames. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays eventually shortened their name to the Tampa Bay Rays, and I can could see Vegas eventually becoming the Las Vegas Knights, which sounds better than Desert Knights to me.

I guess if they wanted to tick off Chicago, they could have chosen the Las Vegas Black Holes, because, you know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Hmmm......does that mean the league will only report the results of their games when they play on the road?
08-27-2016 10:34 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(08-27-2016 10:04 AM)colohank Wrote:  Las Vegas Stand-up Comedians.

Or Las Vegas washed-up entertainers.
08-27-2016 11:24 AM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Not feeling this and I am baffled why didn't use something in relation to gambling games and/or Cowboys and Bandits from the Western US.
08-27-2016 12:12 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(08-27-2016 11:24 AM)goofus Wrote:  
(08-27-2016 10:04 AM)colohank Wrote:  Las Vegas Stand-up Comedians.

Or Las Vegas washed-up entertainers.

Las Vegas Elvises?
08-27-2016 12:13 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(08-27-2016 09:21 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  It still sounds minor-league-ish but I'm sure we will all get used to it. After all, lots of expansion teams have absolutely horrendous names – Thunder, Wild, Avalanche, Lightning all spring to mind – and we eventually got used to those terrible names. I'm sure we will get used to this latest terrible nickname too.

Avalanche in Colorado makes sense due to the snow sports out there.

Wild, ehh not sure how many wolves or whatever are native to Minnesota but the logo is pretty cool.

While I don't think the Thunder is a bad name, WDF with the logo?

Never had bad feelings on the Lightning being used.

I'd be more concerned with say the Raptors. Timberwolves seemed kind of long winded.
08-27-2016 12:16 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(08-27-2016 10:06 AM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  One would think "Dark Knights" would be the obvious backup plan if Black Knights wasn't available. Just make sure the logo doesn't resemble any Batman properties.

I'm pretty sure DC Comics would sue...or make a fortune with Batman merchandise in Las Vegas.
08-27-2016 02:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.