Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Offensive Coordinator
Bookmark and Share
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
The Offensive Coordinator
This hire still scares the hell out of me. Mullens should be able to make up for a lot of his potential ineptitude and general dumb***-ness but in the end, I'm afraid it will be him that causes us to not reach our potential this year. he gives me the same feeling I had when we hired EJ and after each of EJ's hires. it turns my stomach. my initial feelings about him was that he was a douchebag, a prick and stubborn know-it-all that is "never wrong", when in fact, he is quite often wrong and not a good QB coach at all.

since the hire, ive allowed "the boards" to give me hope about the guy and ignore my gut feeling, though ive not personally seen or heard anything that changes my mind about him. if anything, everything ive seen and heard about him just reemphasizes my initial feelings. but so what, right? I don't know crap about him really and like the morons preaching about EJ, "give him a chance! he hasn't even coached a game!", maybe I should give him a chance. of course, these people turned out to be idiots and I was spot on.

so why am I suddenly starting a thread about this, just a couple weeks away from game day? because I just read some of the Kentucky message board and it confirms all of my fears about him and even adds some....and now I have this sick feeling about him all over again. id imagine Jay Hop can (or will have to) keep this turd in check, but apparently;

-he got into more than one physical altercation with others on the coaching staff and caused locker room division (see douche-baggery and prick).
-the talented QB's numbers got worse under his guidance (see bad QB coach).
-his multiple responses to bad play calling were, "had it worked, id have been a genius" (see know-it-all)
-he would consistently throw deep on 1st and 2nd and follow on 3rd with a draw (see ineptitude and general dumb***-ness).

-heres a quote from a Kentucky fan;

"Was not impressed with Dawson's very short tenure here. Very questionable play calling. Seemed completely unable to adjust to defensive adjustments and would call the same sequence of plays series after series even when the sequence had failed multiple times in a row. Could not deal with a physical mismatch and was unable to game plan around one (see Noah Spence, for one obvious example). Always seemed to call the high risk/low percentage play when unnecessary." (see stubborn, inept, dumb***)

and another;

- "Coach Hinshaw's [the new OC] comments on Drew's poor footwork exposed Dawson's lack of QB coaching ability.

This on top of the excuses, no accountability, pitiful play calling, indifference to not producing and wise cracking answers makes me more than glad he's gone!!"

there are many more. they like him only slightly more than we like EJ.

just had to get this off my chest. I will continue to hope for the best and nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about the guy and we score 40 a game.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 11:32 AM by Reggie Favre.)
08-21-2016 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LaurelEagleSon Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: The Offensive Coordinator
For the sake of our program, I really want you to be wrong on this one.
08-21-2016 11:31 AM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
I hope he's wrong too. I don't know much about the guy, but I read a few articles about him when we made the hire. It seemed to me that a lot of the opinion was that he was the scape goat for a coaching staff that is probably out the door pretty soon. I guess only time will tell.
08-21-2016 11:44 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
after '12, it's only natural....

we find out soon....

however, it is fun to display the fandom psyche....keep it coming!

that's the passion this fanbase/players/staff needs in totality....continual guessing until the curtain draws....
08-21-2016 12:12 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

Looks like some of you are gonna give him the blame if some of our talent is to really blame this year, and most likely will give the credit to last year's OC if we do well....
08-21-2016 12:27 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(08-21-2016 12:27 PM)nastybunch Wrote:  Looks like some of you are gonna give him the blame if some of our talent is to really blame this year, and most likely will give the credit to last year's OC if we do well....

I think we all have ??? in the back of our minds relative to coaching....and that is only fair at that level of responsibility....

I don't think it's been posited as a 'negative'....no differently than what has been viewed by some when Monken was captaining the ship....

....and you of all know how I defended him right of the gate....and 'torched' elllllllllllloss from the beginning....
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 12:44 PM by stinkfist.)
08-21-2016 12:43 PM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I look at it like this. Ky is butt deep in competition and ankle deep in talent.
The ball we have to play with doesnt bounce straight back to you so they really dont give a hoot.

Some schools win year in and year out.
some schools are decent once in a blue moon. Ky is in that group
08-21-2016 01:45 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
All hearsay...and not admissible in a court of law! 04-cheers

Hate to say what our co-workers would say about us iffen and when we leave...03-lmfao

I'm sure Corch Hopson asked around for feedback on the guy....and it's not even close to Granpappy Warbucks, since he was hired by people who are fooled by the trappings of the good ol' boy system.
08-21-2016 02:37 PM
eagle83 Offline
Bench Warmer

Sounds like the same thing some were saying about Fedora, until his team went 12-2 and torched Houston. After that they switched to criticizing his hair, and blaming 0-12 on his recruiting.

These type of offenses tend to make the coaching staff look like geniuses when things are clicking, but they look like they are blindly picking plays when they aren't. The good thing is our players were recruited to play this offense, and have bought into this offense.

We will see what these coaches can do in 13 days.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 03:49 PM by eagle83.)
08-21-2016 03:48 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(08-21-2016 03:48 PM)eagle83 Wrote:  Sounds like the same thing some were saying about Fedora, until his team went 12-2 and torched Houston. After that they switched to criticizing his hair, and blaming 0-12 on his recruiting.

These type of offenses tend to make the coaching staff look like geniuses when things are clicking, but they look like they are blindly picking plays when they aren't. The good thing is our players were recruited to play this offense, and have bought into this offense.

for the record, I wasn't one of those criticizing LF. took him a while to figure out his defensive coordinator problems but other than that, his offense was always spot on, as well as his recruiting.
08-21-2016 04:09 PM
eagle83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I completely unstand. After EJ is hard to wait through the summer to see what a new coach will do. You feel like you have to let some pressure off by venting sometimes. I felt that way the summer EJ took the job. I've felt better about Hop and Daweson, but am cautiously optimistic.
08-21-2016 04:19 PM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2016 04:09 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  
(08-21-2016 03:48 PM)eagle83 Wrote:  Sounds like the same thing some were saying about Fedora, until his team went 12-2 and torched Houston. After that they switched to criticizing his hair, and blaming 0-12 on his recruiting.

for the record, I wasn't one of those criticizing LF. took him a while to figure out his defensive coordinator problems but other than that, his offense was always spot on, as well as his recruiting.
The only thing that was wrong with his recruiting was state hired his ace away from us in Toney hughes. Now j state gave him a head job and Mullens is begging him to come back.
08-21-2016 05:26 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2016 04:09 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  

The only thing that was wrong with his recruiting was state hired his ace away from us in Toney hughes. Now j state gave him a head job and Mullens is begging him to come back.
08-21-2016 05:26 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

That Fedora loaded up for one big season then left the cupboard bare behind him is the biggest, most incorrect urban legend this side of Paul McCartney dying prior to the release of Abbey Road. After hearing that nonsense for years, I hit the southernmiss.com archives a while back for some facts.

Truth is, Ellis Johnson's lone Spring Game roster had 7 players on offense (LG, C, RG, RT, WR, and BOTH running backs) and 5 on defense (a safety, a corner, and ALL THREE linebackers) who started the Championship Game in Houston. Not just "played in," STARTED. That's not even counting Lampley, who was technically a sub. Of 4 USM players with rushes in that game, 3 were still on Johnson's team (Austin Davis was the 4th). 4 of 6 with receptions in that game returned.

Just as a comparison, 7 returning offensive starters is the same number Hopson has at his disposal, and everyone is saying we're loaded. Granted, one of his 7 is the QB, so that helps, but the writer who did our season preview that year for SB Nation went as far as to say even he could've been hired to replace Fedora, and Southern Miss would've still been in good shape for a while.

Ellis Johnson and those who hired him & immediately had to replace him are the only people at whose feet our recent trek through the valley lies. Not Fedora, not Bower, nor anyone else had a hand in that stink. As hard as it may be to comprehend, Johnson was just that mind-bogglingly incompetent. From there, the player turnover that resulted from blowing through 3 different coaching staffs in as many years compounded the situation.
08-21-2016 05:52 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

Never saw a semblance of a game plan for ANY game during Granpappy Warbuck's short tenure....Our preparation looked almost front yard, pick-up game-ish...

When we gave up against Nebraska, while we still had a chance, was one of the most flabbergasting sports decisions I have ever witnessed...

Just think, except for a horrible punt against Louisville and a bad 4th down call against UCF, we coulda won those games and that idiot coulda been there at least another year...03-banghead

Since Rudy Giuliani is now a brain illness expert, maybe he can look back at film of EJ and decipher what kinda brain damage he had...Epic Mind Blown
08-21-2016 06:28 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2016 06:28 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  Never saw a semblance of a game plan for ANY game during Granpappy Warbuck's short tenure....Our preparation looked almost front yard, pick-up game-ish...

When we gave up against Nebraska, while we still had a chance, was one of the most flabbergasting sports decisions I have ever witnessed...

Just think, except for a horrible punt against Louisville and a bad 4th down call against UCF, we coulda won those games and that idiot coulda been there at least another year...03-banghead

Since Rudy Giuliani is now a brain illness expert, maybe he can look back at film of EJ and decipher what kinda brain damage he had...Epic Mind Blown

That was because after we fabricated a story about the oc having to go to rehab we took the cover off the petal high school playbook and replaced it with an eagle head.
08-21-2016 09:46 PM
Advertisement

eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2016 09:46 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(08-21-2016 06:28 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  Never saw a semblance of a game plan for ANY game during Granpappy Warbuck's short tenure....Our preparation looked almost front yard, pick-up game-ish...

That was because after we fabricated a story about the oc having to go to rehab we took the cover off the petal high school playbook and replaced it with an eagle head.

Well, the Petal playbook last night looked purty good!04-rock
08-21-2016 09:53 PM
ProfessorEagle Offline
Special Teams

(08-21-2016 09:53 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  

Well, the Petal playbook last night looked purty good!04-rock

Buckley vs. Boyles as head coach. Night and day concerning offenses. Alford was the key to Buckley's success. Boyles can flat out coach.
08-21-2016 10:08 PM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

wait. the rehab thing was a cover story ?
08-21-2016 10:56 PM
99beers Offline
Banned

I Root For: So Miss
Dang man. who is deleting and censoring posts already? 03-nutkick
08-21-2016 11:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.