Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

It's Coming!
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
It's Coming!
Power League is coming. Good Article talking about TCU place when further realignment happens and the possible future of CFB.

LINK
08-19-2016 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
RE: It's Coming!
Hate to break the news to you but there are five of them in the here and now.
08-19-2016 10:17 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

and another little fyi for you fans of all the coat-tale schools in the P5's, were are not headed toward "power leagues, we are headed toward "power schools".........the ones college football fans really want to see. At some point these schools are going to demand that they get the biggest piece of the pie.

Why fund the schools you hate most......the ones in your conference.
08-19-2016 10:26 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(08-19-2016 10:26 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  and another little fyi for you fans of all the coat-tale schools in the P5's, were are not headed toward "power leagues, we are headed toward "power schools".........the ones college football fans really want to see. At some point these schools are going to demand that they get the biggest piece of the pie.

really it should not have to be that way, but it is a bit

1. there is the issue of being in a conference where some members are just much weaker financially (like trying to save the Big 12 by adding programs with mostly weak funding and then giving them weak shares)

2. if conferences would get away from the stupidity of playing so many conference games it would help with this issue and the feeling of "do not want to help all of them"

that is essentially what helped kill the SWC.....to many schools in to small of an area playing to many conference games

to little national exposure, to little ability to have more quality teams, to little ability to gain overall conference strength at the expense of other conferences

some of the biggest major rivalry games are with teams in difference conferences....the Florida schools, Clemson and USCe, Notre Dame and several schools and Texas and OU for a number of years.....GaTech and UGA

3. we already had the NCAA and the CFA and OU and UGA wanted no part of that I can't see it going back to that even with 60 or 65 teams and that few of a number of teams is a disaster waiting to happen anyway especially if they are all sharing revenues from a single TV contract

4. smaller conferences with fewer conference games are the way to make it work better
08-19-2016 10:37 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I agree with the premise there will be one league run on an NFL type model. What I disagree with is that it will be smaller than the P5 set up we have today. IMHO this new league will consist of 70-80 teams, maybe a few more. There will be demand for it on television, live streaming, etc. and if you reduce the number of teams there will be markets that won't be covered.
08-19-2016 10:40 AM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(08-19-2016 10:40 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I agree with the premise there will be one league run on an NFL type model. What I disagree with is that it will be smaller than the P5 set up we have today. IMHO this new league will consist of 70-80 teams, maybe a few more. There will be demand for it on television, live streaming, etc. and if you reduce the number of teams there will be markets that won't be covered.

My sentiment as well. Seventy-eighty with some being basketball only perhaps.
08-19-2016 10:43 AM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

Actually there are going to be around 15-20 schools (traditional national powers), that the college football world will revolve around going forward, and the move toward something like a playoff of the best teams, guarantees that these 15-20 schools, and the media paying the bills, will do every thing they can to insure there is not parity in their conference, and this is is inevitable.

Many schools that have considered themselves as part of the conversation for a NC in the past are going to find that they are now out of the picture and that is by design.
08-19-2016 11:07 AM
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Seminole is on that good stuff. I am for a good conspiracy but that is laughable. If you think the country is going to support watching 15-20 football programs only, you are insane. You would essentially be eliminating any interest, views, or support for a huge portion of schools. Let's say you had leagues or alliances with 15-20 schools: Would they just play each other and beat each other up? Who else would they play? There is no way a system like that will ever work. Sorry to break it to you, but if you essentially screwed 50-60 current schools who are in major conferences, those fans are NOT going to watch or care about 15 elitist schools competing amongst themselves. I can assure you of that. College football would be dead.

LOL at a Texas fan lecturing TCU considering recent success.
08-19-2016 11:21 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I don't ever see a scenario where the SEC and the B1G are under one umbrella....

I think if conferences keep growing, the next step would be to grow large enough so that you break out into 4 divisions and have a conference semifinal, then champ. game

For example, WHAT IF the B1G grabbed a large part of the PAC 12, like the Cali schools, Oregon and Washington, and maybe a few more....Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Mizzou??

you could have a 24 team conference, four 6-team divisions that play a semifinal on the current weekend for the championship games, and then a championship game on Army-Navy weekend

If you had four 24 team conferences with semifinals, along with the current playoff structure, you'd essentially have a 16 team playoff 04-jawdrop

04-chairshot
08-19-2016 11:24 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(08-19-2016 11:21 AM)uofl05 Wrote:  Seminole is on that good stuff. I am for a good conspiracy but that is laughable. If you think the country is going to support watching 15-20 football programs only, you are insane. You would essentially be eliminating any interest, views, or support for a huge portion of schools. Let's say you had leagues or alliances with 15-20 schools: Would they just play each other and beat each other up? Who else would they play? There is no way a system like that will ever work. Sorry to break it to you, but if you essentially screwed 50-60 current schools who are in major conferences, those fans are NOT going to watch or care about 15 elitist schools competing amongst themselves. I can assure you of that. College football would be dead.

LOL at a Texas fan lecturing TCU considering recent success.
They just want the teams in the "playoffs" for the NC to be one of the 15-20 truly national brands, every year, and that is a fact.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016 12:11 PM by Seminole Indian.)
08-19-2016 11:55 AM
krup Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers
(08-19-2016 10:40 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I agree with the premise there will be one league run on an NFL type model. What I disagree with is that it will be smaller than the P5 set up we have today. IMHO this new league will consist of 70-80 teams, maybe a few more. There will be demand for it on television, live streaming, etc. and if you reduce the number of teams there will be markets that won't be covered.
The NFL type model happened when there was little money involved. What is the example where a bunch of entities making vastly dissimilar revenue came together and set up a system where the lucrative entities voluntarily gave up huge amounts of existing revenue to subsidize lesser members?

It is naive to think that the SEC and B1G are going to voluntarily give up their advantage. What are the things they would get which would compel them to do that?
08-19-2016 12:09 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Every school in the Top 10 revenue should be allowed to form their own league where they are the only members and they only play with themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
08-19-2016 12:51 PM
HuskyHawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UConn, Kansas
(08-19-2016 10:26 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  and another little fyi for you fans of all the coat-tale schools in the P5's, were are not headed toward "power leagues, we are headed toward "power schools".........the ones college football fans really want to see. At some point these schools are going to demand that they get the biggest piece of the pie.

I agree that there are some schools that move the needle much more than others. But it isn't a static list. Oregon is on it, and they certainly wouldn't have been not very long ago. Locking it in will never happen, Congress will step in.

But for everyone who thinks each school will somehow negotiate its own deal, do you realize that's how it used to be? Conferences didn't sell rights, schools did. The fees for conference rights were much higher than the sum of the individual rights fees. That's what drove all this nonsense. So we aren't likely going back to that unless cable/TV collapses entirely.
08-19-2016 01:15 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(08-19-2016 12:51 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Every school in the Top 10 revenue should be allowed to form their own league where they are the only members and they only play with themselves.

Not really, what they don't want is parity top to bottom. Each P5 Conference needs 3-4 national brands, then the rest are ............well who cares.

The B-12 is the only current P5 coming up short in the number of national brands department but having Texas and Oklahoma almost offsets that fact. Almost, but until they care it does not matter.

They are top 10 in the brand department, and like Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, Alabama, Michigan, Penn State, and Florida State, they know it. Know that is only nine, but it is an open question who replaces Nebraska since they chose to withdraw from the competition.

Making every other dog eat what they can kill will better insure these teams, and a handful of others whose names I was not told, are in the hunt every year, and that is where this is going.

Just returning to the power team era.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016 01:26 PM by Seminole Indian.)
08-19-2016 01:22 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(08-19-2016 01:22 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(08-19-2016 12:51 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Every school in the Top 10 revenue should be allowed to form their own league where they are the only members and they only play with themselves.

Not really, what they don't want is parity top to bottom. Each P5 Conference needs 3-4 national brands, then the rest are ............well who cares.

The B-12 is the only current P5 coming up short in the number of national brands department but having Texas and Oklahoma almost offsets that fact.

They are top 10 in the brand department, and like Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, Alabama, Michigan, Penn State, and Florida State, they know it. Know that is only nine, but it is an open question who replaces Nebraska since they chose to withdraw from the competition.

Making every dog eat what they can kill will better insure that happens, and that is where this is going.

Just returning to the power team era.

Gets pretty boring at some point when it becomes a preordained marketing scheme rather than sports competition.

Professional sorts leagues have mechanisms to create parity...for a reason. They don't try to create parity because they aren't greedy. They are. They create parity because it makes the sport healthier over the long-term and is ultimately...more profitable for ALL.
08-19-2016 01:30 PM
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

He acts like college football post season has become the NCAA tournament, where there are mid majors everywhere, etc. News flash: The BCS games and now playoff games are primarily filled by ''traditional powers'' every year. That hasn't changed. You can't go fixing things to ensure that certain brand names get in over other deserving teams. The sport will tank. The ASU fan is spot on-The NFL does the exact opposite of what Texas fan is saying, and they are by far the most popular sport on earth. No one wants to watch a ''brand name'' in the playoffs if they aren't deserving of that spot.
08-19-2016 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

For those of you who might not know which teams are actually national brands there is a simple way to know. Just walk into any major national retail outlet, anywhere, that sells licensed collegiate merchandise, and if you cannot find something for a school, they are not a national brand.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016 02:33 PM by Seminole Indian.)
08-19-2016 02:32 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(08-19-2016 01:49 PM)uofl05 Wrote:  He acts like college football post season has become the NCAA tournament, where there are mid majors everywhere, etc. News flash: The BCS games and now playoff games are primarily filled by ''traditional powers'' every year. That hasn't changed. You can't go fixing things to ensure that certain brand names get in over other deserving teams. The sport will tank. The ASU fan is spot on-The NFL does the exact opposite of what Texas fan is saying, and they are by far the most popular sport on earth. No one wants to watch a ''brand name'' in the playoffs if they aren't deserving of that spot.
Don't think anyone could say I was comparing it to the NCAA tournament.

As far as insuring only brand names get in, not only can they, they are in the process of doing just that. Fact is they are just "given the people what the people want".
08-19-2016 02:39 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Once The Big 12 is properly absorbed into the other P4 leagues, things will settle down for sometime. The idea that you can simply eliminate popular programs like Kansas, Indiana and Kentucky because they are not competitive in football is laughable.

Those that trumpet these super leagues forget that somebody still has to lose when the games are played.
CJ
08-19-2016 02:41 PM
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

(08-19-2016 02:39 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(08-19-2016 01:49 PM)uofl05 Wrote:  He acts like college football post season has become the NCAA tournament, where there are mid majors everywhere, etc. News flash: The BCS games and now playoff games are primarily filled by ''traditional powers'' every year. That hasn't changed. You can't go fixing things to ensure that certain brand names get in over other deserving teams. The sport will tank. The ASU fan is spot on-The NFL does the exact opposite of what Texas fan is saying, and they are by far the most popular sport on earth. No one wants to watch a ''brand name'' in the playoffs if they aren't deserving of that spot.
Don't think anyone could say I was comparing it to the NCAA tournament.

As far as insuring only brand names get in, not only can they, they are in the process of doing just that. Fact is they are just "given the people what the people want".

How is that different from now? Last year was OU, Clemson, Bama, and MSU. That is, at worst, 3 huge brands in the playoff. I don't understand what sort of drastic change you seem to be advocating. National brands still need other teams to pad their win totals with. Otherwise, its all for not. No one wants to see a 8-4 Alabama in the playoff.

Your delusion of ''what the people want'' is just off base. If conferences are eliminated and the system is fixed, no fans of those schools outside of a few are going to watch it. They just won't. Hell, all the fans of bottom SEC schools right now have nothing to tout except that they are in the same conference as teams like Bama. take away that association, and they are not going to tune in to support Bama/LSU/UF in the playoffs.
08-19-2016 03:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.