So, do we get in aac or stay and rot?
I think we rot either way.
08-08-2016 08:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: So, do we get in aac or stay and rot?
Seems like the Big 12 may only expand to 2. Best case for us is if they take Cincy and BYU. The AAC picks us as team #12.
08-08-2016 08:43 PM
99beers Offline
Banned

I Root For: So Miss
(08-08-2016 08:43 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Seems like the Big 12 may only expand to 2. Best case for us is if they take Cincy and BYU. The AAC picks us as team #12.

And we end up broke in 5 years after an expensive buyout, concessions for joining, and new aac tv deal worth nothing. But wtf, we would get to play temple and uconn!!
08-08-2016 08:48 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(08-08-2016 08:48 PM)99beers Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 08:43 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Seems like the Big 12 may only expand to 2. Best case for us is if they take Cincy and BYU. The AAC picks us as team #12.

And we end up broke in 5 years after an expensive buyout, concessions for joining, and new aac tv deal worth nothing. But wtf, we would get to play temple and uconn!!

I could be wrong, but I believe we have some deal with CUSA that we would pay a smaller exit fee since we're a charter member. UAB has the same deal.
08-08-2016 08:49 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
I think you are right Beagle.

I've said it numerous times, if we get an offer to go AAC we better jump. Right or wrong, it's perception thing and playing Old Dominion and Charlotte, etc. Will never change that.
08-08-2016 08:56 PM
99beers Offline
Banned

(08-08-2016 08:56 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  I think you are right Beagle.

I've said it numerous times, if we get an offer to go AAC we better jump. Right or wrong, it's perception thing and playing Old Dominion and Charlotte, etc. Will never change that.

Playing temple, uconn, and tulane will? Or smu? Or tulsa?
08-08-2016 09:16 PM
Advertisement

Jayesseagle Offline
Special Teams

So, do we get in aac or stay and rot?
(08-08-2016 09:16 PM)99beers Wrote:  

They are right beers, the perception of the AAC top to bottom is far greater than the perception of CUSA top to bottom. Sure Temple, UCONN, and Tulane arent exactly the cream of the crop..although Temple did fantastic this past year....but they are a lot better than ODU, Charlotte, and UNT. Plus being with our older rivals like Memphis and ECU are important alone.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 09:26 PM by Jayesseagle.)
08-08-2016 09:26 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

Exactly! AAC is a no brainer if the opportunity presents itself. It would not only help salvage the program, but ensure we stay on track and propel / elevate the program.
08-08-2016 09:29 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

Beers, I'm sorry but I'm right on this. It is CUSA all over again and where we were 10 years ago. I hate it! AAC is perceived as head and shoulders above CUSA and there is not one member of this conference that will change that perception.

Extremely painful to watch all of those programs pass us by.
08-08-2016 09:41 PM
99beers Offline
Banned

(08-08-2016 09:41 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  

Beers, I'm sorry but I'm right on this. It is CUSA all over again and where we were 10 years ago. I hate it! AAC is perceived as head and shoulders above CUSA and there is not one member of this conference that will change that perception.

So after they lose more good programs, their best, how does this help usm? I am looking five plus years down the road, not the immediate impact. Perception of usm vrs ecu is no different, regardless off conference. Not to p5 fans. It onlymatters in a big dick comparrison between aac and cusa. The rest of the fans dont know and dont care.
08-08-2016 09:58 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(08-08-2016 09:58 PM)99beers Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 09:41 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  

So after they lose more good programs, their best, how does this help usm? I am looking five plus years down the road, not the immediate impact. Perception of usm vrs ecu is no different, regardless off conference. Not to p5 fans. It onlymatters in a big dick comparrison between aac and cusa. The rest of the fans dont know and dont care.

If you cant see the difference between (and think other football fans don't see the difference between) Charlotte, Texas-San Antonio, Old Dominion, North Texas, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, West Kentucky and La Tech, in comparison to Memphis, East Carolina, SMU, Central Fl, South Fl, Temple, UConn, and Tulane, then you are devoid of cognitive reasoning. I cannot put that any other way.

USM would benefit greatly in a MULTITUDE of ways by playing the AAC schools, rather than home/homes with the CUSA schools.
08-08-2016 10:15 PM
Advertisement

EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I don't totally disagree with you, but look at the perception of what Memphis did last year.... F'N Memphis. You would have thought they were God's gift to football and now they are being talked about for the Big 12......Memphis state? Really? Who in the hell has ever cared about them? EVER?

Years ago I wrote a letter to Mr. G expressing my concern on these programs potentially leaving us behind. My letter was obviously ignored and as I feared they did. I'm sorry, but we HAVE to get out of CUSA and at least be playing the old CUSA (whatever the conference is called) to even be considered the team that we were 6 years ago.
08-08-2016 10:16 PM
LaurelEagleSon Offline
Bench Warmer

Jump in with both feet and be grateful for the opportunity.
08-08-2016 10:19 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

The AAC programs are at least established FBS programs. Not powerhouses, but they're a step above UNCC, UTSA, etc. Those schools jumped to FBS too early. Should have played FCS ball for a little while then jump.
08-08-2016 10:19 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

Obviously we'd love to be in a P5 conference, but we better not turn down AAC ever. Right now, the people we've played with for so long moved up to Varsity and we were left on JV. Gotta get back up to Varsity.
08-08-2016 10:39 PM
99beers Offline
Banned

No one is answering this, where are we 10 years later after going aac? Broke. Probably in 5 years. Then what? Short term thinking may be our demise.
08-08-2016 10:41 PM
Advertisement

LaurelEagleSon Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-08-2016 10:41 PM)99beers Wrote:  No one is answering this, where are we 10 years later after going aac? Broke. Probably in 5 years. Then what? Short term thinking may be our demise.

I'm not understanding where the broke part comes from. Especially considering we'd be making a considerable amount more money each year compared to what we are going to get from CUSA.
08-08-2016 10:47 PM
99beers Offline
Banned

(08-08-2016 10:47 PM)LaurelEagleSon Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 10:41 PM)99beers Wrote:  No one is answering this, where are we 10 years later after going aac? Broke. Probably in 5 years. Then what? Short term thinking may be our demise.

I'm not understanding where the broke part comes from. Especially considering we'd be making a considerable amount more money each year compared to what we are going to get from CUSA.

Cusa buyout
Concessions on tv money first years
Inevitable loss of tv money on renegotiation
Travel costs to play temple, uconn, cinci, tulsa, and the scum smu.

Just for starters
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 10:52 PM by 99beers.)
08-08-2016 10:50 PM
LaurelEagleSon Offline
Bench Warmer

CUSA Buyout is next to nothing for charter members, and can be negotiated down even further.
If we're making more than 200 grand per year on TV money, we'll be way ahead of where we are now... which we 100% definitely would be.

The real question is if we can survive financially long-term in this conference.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 10:56 PM by LaurelEagleSon.)
08-08-2016 10:53 PM
99beers Offline
Banned

(08-08-2016 10:53 PM)LaurelEagleSon Wrote:  CUSA Buyout is next to nothing for charter members, and can be negotiated down even further.
If we're making more than 200 grand per year on TV money, we'll be way ahead of where we are now... which we would 100% definitely would be.

The real question is if we can survive financially long-term in this conference.

No. We can not stay in cusa either and survive.
08-08-2016 10:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.