Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Flat earth craze
ericsrevenge76 Online
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
Flat earth craze
I can't believe how many people are talking about this now.

If anyone has ever owned a telescope and looked at the planets, you KNOW the earth is round.

If the earth was flat, you would literally be able to see Russia from your house. At the very least, you would be able to see the tops of the mountains of Russia or Asia with a telescope. After all, they are at a WAYYYYY higher elevation for many of us.

A small telescope can see the rings of Saturn (750 MILLION miles away).........Yet you cannot even see 5 miles across from ground level. Why? Because it falls BELOW your visible horizon. Why? Because the earth is round.

You don't need to be a scientist to understand this basic fact.

There are some other ways of blatantly proving this, feel free to post them.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 01:13 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
07-17-2016 01:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
RE: Flat earth craze
(07-17-2016 01:07 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  If the earth was flat, you would literally be able to see Russia from your house.

[Image: tumblr_n6ngkiSywO1tddk4lo1_250.gif]
07-17-2016 01:19 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I used to dig deep into some things but I can't buy it. Nature is pretty much by definition circular. Not to mention all of the scientific and mathematical phenomenon based on circles.
07-17-2016 04:49 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Wait... who is saying the Earth is flat?
07-17-2016 06:43 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
All you have to do is look out your window and see that the earth is flat. Why is this even a discussion?
07-17-2016 07:09 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
You fool! If the Earth was round, why did I buy "Fall Off the Earth Insurance" for the last cruise I took?
07-17-2016 08:03 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(07-17-2016 06:43 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Wait... who is saying the Earth is flat?

I read this thread and just went, "what the fk did I just read"

only a 'I'm a veg danny' would even give it a thought....

having said that, I'm certain there are two posters that will argue 'for' "flat"

this is easily the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board....
07-17-2016 08:18 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
It isn't that trivial to show the world is round without actually traveling it.

There's a limit to how much you can see at a given distance (you can't see the flag on the moon without an enormous telescope for example). And air isn't 100% transparent to light, so after a certain thickness the air is opaque and is going to obscure anything.
07-17-2016 08:40 AM
stinkfist Offline

(07-17-2016 08:40 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  It isn't that trivial to show the world is round without actually traveling it.

There's a limit to how much you can see at a given distance (you can't see the flag on the moon without an enormous telescope for example). And air isn't 100% transparent to light, so after a certain thickness the air is opaque and is going to obscure anything.

while it's easily arguable who the first was to define the earth as a sphere, this is where Pythagoras was one of the purest of genius so many moons ago...
07-17-2016 08:58 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
07-17-2016 09:52 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
They need to teach the controversy, so that we get ALL the facts.
07-17-2016 09:54 AM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
The Medieval people knew that the world wasn't flat, despite what erroneous historians say.
07-17-2016 10:21 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-17-2016 10:21 AM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  The Medieval people knew that the world wasn't flat, despite what erroneous historians say.

This is probably correct...a flat Earth isn't really easier to believe than a round one, at least for me.

If I had only my every day experiences to go by, my problem with a flat Earth would be how is the world not susceptible to gravity when clearly pieces of the world are susceptible to it? Unless the world is just a giant plateau on a larger world in which case what shape does the larger world have?
07-17-2016 10:41 AM
stinkfist Offline

(07-17-2016 09:52 AM)miko33 Wrote:  http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

[Image: 01%20Flat%20Earth%20Society%20Map%20(Cha...hnson).jpg]

nice dig.....lmao...and you know why other than the obvious.....
07-17-2016 10:56 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Re: RE: Flat earth craze
(07-17-2016 01:19 AM)Kronke Wrote:  
(07-17-2016 01:07 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  If the earth was flat, you would literally be able to see Russia from your house.

[Image: tumblr_n6ngkiSywO1tddk4lo1_250.gif]

She never said that guys stop it. LMFAO
07-17-2016 11:33 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(07-17-2016 10:41 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(07-17-2016 10:21 AM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  The Medieval people knew that the world wasn't flat, despite what erroneous historians say.

This is probably correct...a flat Earth isn't really easier to believe than a round one, at least for me.

If I had only my every day experiences to go by, my problem with a flat Earth would be how is the world not susceptible to gravity when clearly pieces of the world are susceptible to it? Unless the world is just a giant plateau on a larger world in which case what shape does the larger world have?

It is 100% true. History has been completely butchered in this regard. The educated of western society in Columbus's era knew the world was round. the greeks knew both the earth was round and a very accurate understanding of its size.

any society with a naval industry was bound to know this because sailors would observe the phenomena of the top of ships being visible first at long distances and their position among the stars relative to ship positions.
07-17-2016 11:47 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(07-17-2016 11:47 AM)john01992 Wrote:  
(07-17-2016 10:41 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

It is 100% true. History has been completely butchered in this regard. The educated of western society in Columbus's era knew the world was round. the greeks knew both the earth was round and a very accurate understanding of its size.

any society with a naval industry was bound to know this because sailors would observe the phenomena of the top of ships being visible first at long distances and their position among the stars relative to ship positions.

ranks right there with the parting of the seas type stuff.....
07-17-2016 11:51 AM
ericsrevenge76 Online
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(07-17-2016 08:40 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  It isn't that trivial to show the world is round without actually traveling it.

A 6 foot man cannot even see 5 miles away, because anything that far falls below your visible horizon.

That has nothing to do with visibility in the atmosphere, because a 6 foot man standing 30 feet higher up can see several miles further.

The curvature of the earth makes it impossible to see more than about 3-4 miles from, ground level.
07-17-2016 04:46 PM
stinkfist Offline

(07-17-2016 04:46 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

A 6 foot man cannot even see 5 miles away, because anything that far falls below your visible horizon.

That has nothing to do with visibility in the atmosphere, because a 6 foot man standing 30 feet higher up can see several miles further.

The curvature of the earth makes it impossible to see more than about 3-4 miles from, ground level.

true....but one can look at the moon as it gains/loses shading coupled with the ability to see in 3d to realize shite ain't flat....
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 04:54 PM by stinkfist.)
07-17-2016 04:52 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
If the Earth was round, then when I put a soccer ball down on the ground it would roll!!!!!!!!1111oneone
07-17-2016 04:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.