Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What do we need to do to make Hockey a more prominent B1G entity?
Bookmark and Share
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
As I see it we have to get this hockey thing going across the conference. Obviously the argument always boils down to funding... new facility, title IX, coaches salaries and recruiting budgets, additional scholarship costs, etc. The most foreboding element is always the facility along with the inverse of the field of dreams question "if we build it will they come".

Unless you live in Canada, Minnesota, New England, or a few other hotbeds... hockey is a niche sport. So unless you know that you have a dedicated fanbase you have to immediately market to, you have to go the Penn State route of going all out to create an electric environment. Shoot for a 5000-7000 seat arena with great sight lines and all of the amenities. I also like that Penn State also built a couple extra sheets, one of which I believe is available for use in the community.

With Notre Dame being added we have a darned good line up of brand names even if they are less than spectacular at the game itself (OSU & MSU). The conference slate should be good. And if the BTN would to the double header Fridays and maybe even Saturdays all season long or televise on Fox Regional Networks or NBC or whomever... Maybe we can offer a little something to sweeten the pot to entice othe schools to add the sport.

We have to somehow get other schools to want to add the sport. I read an article or post from a Wisconsin guy back when the league was being formed that schools that sponsor Hockey would get an extra 2 Million per year (total aside but lacrosse should get the same treatment). That is a wonderful idea to help defray the ongoing expenses and maybe bring some big donors to the table to help get some arena built.

Even with the new Fox/ESPN/CBS rights deals in place it will probably take a while to get some action as the first priority will probably be making sure the sports you have now are given every conceivable resource to be successful. But I see an opportunity to really grow the game of hockey. All other P5 leagues are primarily sunbelt and will probably never sponsor hockey on a league-wide basis unless and until a reliable revenue producing model can be formed. Penn State has shown the way on how to be profitable in year one. You can't tell me that Nebraska or Iowa or Illinois or Indiana couldn't fill up a 6000ish seat arena so long as the hoops team is on the road or not playing. I even think support would be strong for Rutgers & Maryland given the proximity of NHL teams and fans educated about the game.

I view the situation similarly to what the ACC did with lacrosse. Until the creation of B1G lacrosse a couple years ago the ACC pretty much ran the roost along with scattered power programs (namely Johns Hopkins & Syracuse). The talent is more spread out and smaller programs can be extremely successful in hockey but if you have a highly visible extremely well financed outfit sporting some of the biggest names in college athletics... maybe that will interest top recruits.

I'd still like to see North Dakota and Minnesota Duluth added to look after the Gophers' interests but in the meantime we have to build up the game and the programs in our league.
06-24-2016 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: What do we need to do to make Hockey a more prominent B1G entity?
I am not a hockey fan so take this however you want.

The easy way to improve the conference would be to invite good programs as affiliate members. I wouldn't recommend this route unless you invite Liberty of course. Virginia market and all that!

The best way would be to bite the bullet and use the new media revenue to jump start a program. Going to hockey games are really fun and I would run specials to entice locals to come to a couple of games against easy wins to build a following. Work on getting rivals to come from other sports to build a cross rivalry, preferably local rivals and other home games should be cupcakes to inflate records to impress the casual fans. Hire an ex-local hero from the NHL or something to build excitement.

The conference has many advantages that others do not. Exploit those of the academic prestige, monetary resources, and BTN to get recruits. Play some conference games in big arenas like Penn State and Michigan did at Madison Square Garden this year.
06-24-2016 11:02 AM
Advertisement

akhosrof Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Indiana/Tulane
Despite a 6,000 seat, $70M hockey arena being built a mile off campus, Iowa has no plans to add hockey at the moment.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports...s-20160623

I think for any school to add hockey as a sport it will take a significant donation in addition to having the proper facilities. Maybe Iowa alums step up to make it happen?
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2016 01:37 PM by akhosrof.)
06-24-2016 01:36 PM
5thTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Missouri
RE: What do we need to do to make Hockey a more prominent B1G entity?
Easiest thing to do would probably have the other teams in the conference add hockey teams. May not be popular in the existing hockey community, but it would drastically drive up general fan involvement.
06-24-2016 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.