Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Brexit Vote
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Brexit Vote
Looks to be a close vote - pound to USD has been swinging up and down the last few hours. Fun times if you happen to be a currency trader
06-23-2016 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

RE: Brexit Vote
They're leaving!
06-23-2016 10:55 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I have mixed emotions. I think they've made a mistake. But I also think that the EU government has way overstepped its bounds. I don't see a way to reconcile the two.
06-24-2016 05:53 AM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

(06-24-2016 05:53 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I have mixed emotions. I think they've made a mistake. But I also think that the EU government has way overstepped its bounds. I don't see a way to reconcile the two.

Agreed
06-24-2016 09:21 AM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
David Cameron may go down as the man who hastened the end of the UK. Fully expect Scotland to vote for independence once the UK's departure is formalized, don't know what will happen with NI, but the status quo there can't really hold.

Of course until Article 50 is invoked, the UK hasn't legally taken any steps to withdraw, at least from the EU perspective. I'm not predicting it, but if 5 years from now the UK is still in the EU, it wouldn't completely shock me.

Also have seen articles arguing that if Scotland leaves the UK, London should too. Not likely, but the point was that London has a bigger economy and more people than Scotland, and is very closely tied to Europe.

And Boris Johnson might be PM by end of the year...

Crazy.
06-24-2016 09:38 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(06-24-2016 05:53 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I have mixed emotions. I think they've made a mistake. But I also think that the EU government has way overstepped its bounds. I don't see a way to reconcile the two.

The danger of democracy is that a majority supporting stupid decisions doesn't make the decision right.
06-24-2016 11:28 AM
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2016 11:28 AM)Antarius Wrote:  

The danger of democracy is that a majority supporting stupid decisions doesn't make the decision right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...-leave-it/
06-24-2016 01:39 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(06-24-2016 01:39 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(06-24-2016 11:28 AM)Antarius Wrote:  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...-leave-it/

Yeah. Saw that. Facepalm
06-24-2016 02:35 PM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

The breakdown by age is pretty stark:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/brexit-...te-n598481

Basically people under 50 wanted to remain, especially millennials. They basically had this forced on them by a bunch of bitter, resentful old people, and will have to live with it long after the "Leave" voters are gone. Oversimplification, but a lot of truth to it...

Edit: Lest anyone be offended, I'm pretty close to qualifying as "old" in this case, and probably already do from a millennial's perspective. ;-)
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2016 07:45 AM by JustAnotherAustinOwl.)
06-25-2016 06:44 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I don't think this nearly as much about racism as it is about the EU Eurocrats meddling too much in internal affairs of member nations, where they don't belong. The problem on both sides of the pond is that governments have been busy working not for the people, but to perpetuate themselves and increase their powers, intruding into far too many places that they don't belong. Government doesn't belong in bedrooms, nor in vaginas, nor in picking winners and losers in the economy. Government needs to get back to being of the people, by the people, and for the people, instead of becoming increasingly for the bureaucrats, by the bureaucrats, and of the bureaucrats. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Wealth chases power, and power chases wealth, which is why we and Europe have both become increasingly corporatist states. We need more power returned from government to people. Within the government sphere, we need more power devolved from federal to state level, and from state to local level. And at each level, we need more power returned from executive bureaucracies to legislative branches. This vote is about Europe needing that. But we need it here, as well.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2016 07:30 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
06-25-2016 07:10 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(06-25-2016 06:44 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  The breakdown by age is pretty stark:

Basically people under 50 wanted to remain, especially millennials. They basically had this forced on them by a bunch of bitter, resentful old people, and will have to live with it long after the "Leave" voters are gone.

How dare those old people vote! Who do they think they are? Don't they know that young people know everything? Heck, they will tell you so themselves...
06-25-2016 08:44 AM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(06-25-2016 07:10 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I don't think this nearly as much about racism as it is about the EU Eurocrats meddling too much in internal affairs of member nations, where they don't belong. The problem on both sides of the pond is that governments have been busy working not for the people, but to perpetuate themselves and increase their powers, intruding into far too many places that they don't belong. Government doesn't belong in bedrooms, nor in vaginas, nor in picking winners and losers in the economy. Government needs to get back to being of the people, by the people, and for the people, instead of becoming increasingly for the bureaucrats, by the bureaucrats, and of the bureaucrats. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Wealth chases power, and power chases wealth, which is why we and Europe have both become increasingly corporatist states.

It is a never-ending irony that the people who most indignantly decry the influence of money upon government seem simultaneously determined to magnify the influence of government upon money.
06-25-2016 08:49 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(06-25-2016 07:10 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I don't think this nearly as much about racism as it is about the EU Eurocrats meddling too much in internal affairs of member nations, where they don't belong.

Chip, you're obviously wrong. Any position that the left-leaning blogosphere disapproves of is necessarily and solely about racism. If you don't realize that -- well, that's because you're racist. And since accusations of racism are non-falsifiable, you can't even rebut the accusation. See how neat it all is?
06-25-2016 08:55 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2016 08:44 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(06-25-2016 06:44 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  The breakdown by age is pretty stark:

Basically people under 50 wanted to remain, especially millennials. They basically had this forced on them by a bunch of bitter, resentful old people, and will have to live with it long after the "Leave" voters are gone.

How dare those old people vote! Who do they think they are? Don't they know that young people know everything? Heck, they will tell you so themselves...

Everyone of every age should have the right to vote and have equal say. But I did find it interesting that the division was so stark between the older and the younger generations. And what's so interesting about it, is that inherently, the younger generation are much more affected by the outcome of the vote. Not only do they have to live with the results the longest, but they are the generation that becomes more constrained. The older generation are set, they won't be moving, won't be working - they will be living in the UK, and that's about it. Now the younger generation will have to deal with any new hurdles that this places on them working "abroad" and creating a life in the EU, but not in the UK, if desired.

Now, who knows if there will be any additional hurdles created to free movement/living between the UK and the remaining EU countries, but your appearing dismissal of the greater influence that the decision will have on the youth of the UK is just as bad as the previous comments apparent disdain for the older voters wielding more influence.
06-25-2016 10:51 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(06-25-2016 10:51 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

Everyone of every age should have the right to vote and have equal say. But I did find it interesting that the division was so stark between the older and the younger generations. And what's so interesting about it, is that inherently, the younger generation are much more affected by the outcome of the vote. Not only do they have to live with the results the longest, but they are the generation that becomes more constrained. The older generation are set, they won't be moving, won't be working - they will be living in the UK, and that's about it. Now the younger generation will have to deal with any new hurdles that this places on them working "abroad" and creating a life in the EU, but not in the UK, if desired.

Now, who knows if there will be any additional hurdles created to free movement/living between the UK and the remaining EU countries, but your appearing dismissal of the greater influence that the decision will have on the youth of the UK is just as bad as the previous comments apparent disdain for the older voters wielding more influence.

What is needed is a sliding scale. Give voters 18-29 1.5 votes, 30-39 1.3 votes, 40-49 1.1 votes, 50-59 0.9 votes, and 60+ 0.7 votes. That way the preponderance will be toward those most affected.
06-25-2016 12:33 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

IMO, there should be a 3 or so question quiz. Failure to answer questions such as what is the EU or select 3 salient points of the EU invalidates your vote.

Knowing what you are voting for should be a requirement.
06-25-2016 01:36 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(06-25-2016 01:36 PM)Antarius Wrote:  IMO, there should be a 3 or so question quiz. Failure to answer questions such as what is the EU or select 3 salient points of the EU invalidates your vote.

I have often thought this of the US of A, but get shouted down.

Does anybody know what it was about the EU that bothered older voters more than younger ones?
06-25-2016 02:32 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2016 02:32 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(06-25-2016 01:36 PM)Antarius Wrote:  IMO, there should be a 3 or so question quiz. Failure to answer questions such as what is the EU or select 3 salient points of the EU invalidates your vote.

I have often thought this of the US of A, but get shouted down.

Does anybody know what it was about the EU that bothered older voters more than younger ones?

Likely some silly idea that the EU was the reason that British life was changing or something of that nature.

Listening to interviews on the radio, most people talked about immigration or regulation being the main reason for opting to leave, but I've read/watched items that suggest that leaving the EU will not affect either of those significantly (especially regulation, since anything exported to other EU countries will need to meet EU regulations).
06-25-2016 05:19 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(06-25-2016 12:33 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  What is needed is a sliding scale. Give voters 18-29 1.5 votes, 30-39 1.3 votes, 40-49 1.1 votes, 50-59 0.9 votes, and 60+ 0.7 votes. That way the preponderance will be toward those most affected.

You've got the scale exactly backward. Giving preference to the opinions of people in their teens and twenties is about the surest prescription for disaster I've ever read.
06-25-2016 05:53 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(06-25-2016 10:51 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

I did not, and do not, dismiss the theory that the decision will have greater impact on the young. I dismiss the theory that that matters in whose opinion should have the most weight. Youth, by definition, is inexperienced, and in politics especially, young voters have shown time and again that they don't always know what they're doing (the swoon for Obama in 2008 being one fairly clear example). The perspective of experience -- of people who have had careers and raised families, who have seen human folly as well as a human greatness -- should not count for less than the self-interest of backpackers.

Moreover, it is entirely reasonable that those Britons who are old and wise enough to remember war (both hot and cold), to have seen the deluded statist "isms" of the last century, to have a sense of just how shallow the roots of liberty can be outside the Blessed Plot and its common-law descendants, might just feel that the bureaus of Continental Europe -- the land of popes and commissars, of guillotines and gas chambers -- are a less reliable protector of the common weal than are the House of Commons and the English Channel. Youth -- famous for its inattention to history and to risk -- may have a different theory, but it is not a better or more important one.
06-25-2016 06:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.