Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So now that Cleveland has their title...
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Can someone throw Houston a pity party? Few places have had to deal with as much heartbreak as sports fans around here. 04-chairshot
06-19-2016 10:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: So now that Cleveland has their title...
(06-19-2016 10:13 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Can someone throw Houston a pity party? Few places have had to deal with as much heartbreak as sports fans around here. 04-chairshot

The Rockets got their back to back NBA titles 05-stirthepot
06-19-2016 10:21 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

And that's it, nothing else but a legacy of heartbreak and chokes, often at the same exact time.
06-19-2016 10:40 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Bills-Oilers Meltdown...05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2016 10:56 PM by Maize.)
06-19-2016 10:56 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

And Phi Slama Jama...
06-19-2016 11:14 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
Don't forget the '05 Stros
06-20-2016 12:08 AM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Really, every Astros playoffs team except the '05 team and they weren't without an OMG moment (the Pujols 26th-out bomb HR off Lidge).
06-20-2016 12:35 AM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

(06-20-2016 12:35 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Really, every Astros playoffs team except the '05 team and they weren't without an OMG moment (the Pujols 26th-out bomb HR off Lidge).

All those years against the Braves were incredibly frustrating. So many good teams getting bumped in the first round.
06-20-2016 12:38 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

The most frustrating one didn't come against the Braves but against the Padres.
06-20-2016 12:48 AM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

That was the Johnson year right? What a team. The worst one all-time is still probably the '86 series against the Mets, but that was probably the better overall team.
06-20-2016 01:06 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
I was thinking about this, so which city is on the clock?

Criteria:

1) General area must have at least one team in the three of the four major sports
2) Must have actually won a title at some point to be eligible (for example, North Carolina is not eligible)
3) Must have had at least one team make it back to a championship game since the last title, with heartbreak (i.e. you can't just suck)

Off the top of my head, I think Washington might be up (no the Ravens absolutely do not count). I think the Skins last won in 90 or 91. No Stanley Cups. No Walter O'Brien trophies. Although they might fail rule number 3, as neither the Nati'nals (nor the Orioles when they were the city's adopted team) have made the world series since then.

Maybe it is Houston and Atlanta vying for the crown? Maybe Toronto, if we include the Bills to qualify via rule number three, but that was within one calendar year of a World Series. Minneapolis is in there as well, but again, hasn't made it back to a title game to even qualify.

But, I can't think of any city that has been waiting for more than 25 or 26 years for a title, at least among cities with 3 teams or more, so none are as long as the wait in Cleveland. San Diego might be the closest with their last title being an AFL Championship in the 60's, but depends on if you want to count the Clippers or not as the third team, despite leaving 30 plus years ago.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2016 09:13 AM by adcorbett.)
06-20-2016 08:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I'd say Boston is the most successful current city, as all four teams have a title in the last decade.
06-20-2016 09:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(06-20-2016 08:55 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  I was thinking about this, so which city is on the clock?

Criteria:

1) General area must have at least one team in the three of the four major sports
2) Must have actually won a title at some point to be eligible (for example, North Carolina is not eligible)
3) Must have had at least one team make it back to a championship game since the last title, with heartbreak (i.e. you can't just suck)

Off the top of my head, I think Washington might be up (no the Ravens absolutely do not count). I think the Skins last won in 90 or 91. No Stanley Cups. No Walter O'Brien trophies. Although they might fail rule number 3, as neither the Nati'nals (nor the Orioles when they were the city's adopted team) have made the world series since then.

Maybe it is Houston and Atlanta vying for the crown? Maybe Toronto, if we include the Bills to qualify via rule number three, but that was within one calendar year of a World Series. Minneapolis is in there as well, but again, hasn't made it back to a title game to even qualify.

But, I can't think of any city that has been waiting for more than 25 or 26 years for a title, at least among cities with 3 teams or more, so none are as long as the wait in Cleveland. San Diego might be the closest with their last title being an AFL Championship in the 60's, but depends on if you want to count the Clippers or not as the third team, despite leaving 30 plus years ago.

There isn't any other city that qualifies IMO. No city has had there soul ripped out more times with a city that has been nicknamed 'The Mistake by the Lake'. Atlanta doesn't count IMO because lets be honest, most in the city and the state would trade pro sport success for one more Dawg MNC. It's just not the same. Moreover, as a sunbelt city, ATL and HOU just don't have the brutal winters and the short dark days that feed into such a mythology.

On a guess I would say either Philly or Buffalo would be the leaders in the clubhouse for cities with existential sports angst.
06-20-2016 11:22 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
I don't really feel there is a clear city to be next in line. Cleveland got that distinction because they were far and away the most misfortunate sports city. There was no competition. At this point it might be more team specific instead of city specific.
06-20-2016 11:41 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(06-20-2016 11:22 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(06-20-2016 08:55 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  I was thinking about this, so which city is on the clock?

Criteria:

There isn't any other city that qualifies IMO. No city has had there soul ripped out more times with a city that has been nicknamed 'The Mistake by the Lake'. Atlanta doesn't count IMO because lets be honest, most in the city and the state would trade pro sport success for one more Dawg MNC. It's just not the same. Moreover, as a sunbelt city, ATL and HOU just don't have the brutal winters and the short dark days that feed into such a mythology.

On a guess I would say either Philly or Buffalo would be the leaders in the clubhouse for cities with existential sports angst.

You

Are

Wrong

---------------------

As a matter of fact, most sports cities are like Cleveland. My top ten, in no order:

Buffalo

Phoenix

Atlanta

Houston

San Diego

Toronto

Portland

Washington

Milwaukee

Minneapolis-St. Paul

Also considered: Salt Lake City, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Montreal, Charlotte, Seattle
06-20-2016 01:14 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

Minneapolis currently has the longest drought among cities with at least three teams, with their last win being the Twins in 91. The Twins came close a couple of times since, The Wolves got close once when Garnett was the MVP, the Vikings had the Super Bowl in their hands in 1998 and their kicker missed a chip shot field goal, the first kick of any kind he had missed all year, and the Wild... well they were born since then.

With the longest current drought, having to watch their hockey team leave town and then win a championship (something they shared with Cleveland), with 4 super bowl losses, a fluke super bowl miss, and constant threats of having their baseball team contracted for about a decade, I think Minneapolis has Houston beat for this.

Sorry C2
06-20-2016 02:50 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(06-20-2016 01:14 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(06-20-2016 11:22 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

Criteria:

You

Are

Wrong

---------------------

As a matter of fact, most sports cities are like Cleveland. My top ten, in no order:

Buffalo

Phoenix

Atlanta

Houston

San Diego

Toronto

Portland

Washington

Milwaukee

Minneapolis-St. Paul

Also considered: Salt Lake City, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Montreal, Charlotte, Seattle

You are sadly mistaken if you think anyone in Atlanta would shed tears or genuflect some star if any of Atlanta's pro sports team won a title. Again, if UGA won sure but that is the only comparable situation. Even if teams are losers, it doesn't psychology depress the fans or or the failure seen as a metaphor of the city.
06-20-2016 04:51 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(06-20-2016 02:50 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  Minneapolis currently has the longest drought among cities with at least three teams, with their last win being the Twins in 91. The Twins came close a couple of times since, The Wolves got close once when Garnett was the MVP, the Vikings had the Super Bowl in their hands in 1998 and their kicker missed a chip shot field goal, the first kick of any kind he had missed all year, and the Wild... well they were born since then.

With the longest current drought, having to watch their hockey team leave town and then win a championship (something they shared with Cleveland), with 4 super bowl losses, a fluke super bowl miss, and constant threats of having their baseball team contracted for about a decade, I think Minneapolis has Houston beat for this.

Sorry C2

Even if the Vikings beat the Falcons, they still had to go through John Elway's Broncos in his swan song. Nothing was guaranteed at all.

And by the way, Houston, which is in the land where football is emperor, lost an original AFL franchise. So spare me from having much sympathy for Minnesota losing teams, having seen a championship round in every sport, including the NBA (the Minneapolis Lakers). Technically, they've won league titles in every sport except hockey, which is obviously a significant hole for them. The Vikings were 1969 NFL champions.

And do I need to list all of Houston's heartbreaks? They don't do a 30-for-30 on it unless they focus on the other team like the NC State one or the "4 Falls of Buffalo."
06-20-2016 08:32 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(06-20-2016 04:51 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  You are sadly mistaken if you think anyone in Atlanta would shed tears or genuflect some star if any of Atlanta's pro sports team won a title. Again, if UGA won sure but that is the only comparable situation. Even if teams are losers, it doesn't psychology depress the fans or or the failure seen as a metaphor of the city.

You know Houston isn't exactly the most passionate place about sports but we want to see our teams win, even if a few want to see the same for Texas A&M and Texas even more. I'm sure Atlanta fans are more than used to disappointment, what with having 3 teams for about 50 years and 1 title, despite numerous opportunities.
06-20-2016 08:44 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
...they can prepare for the Cavs to repeat.
06-20-2016 09:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.