Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Most Fun SBC Schools
Bookmark and Share
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
OT: Most Fun SBC Schools
Came across a top 100 party schools list on Facebook and thought y'all might like to see how the SunBelt stacks up since it's the off-season and there's nothing else to talk about. Some people think "party school" is a bad thing, but to me it just means your campus has exciting culture and plenty of things to do other than sitting in your dorm and watching Netflix. Thoughts? Is your school too high or too low?

Top 100 Party Schools

Ranked SBC Schools
#97 U of Louisiana
#85 App State
#83 U of Idaho
#75 Coastal Carolina
#48 Texas State
#31 Georgia Southern

Other Schools of Interest
#84 Western Kentucky
#52 James Madison (That supposed beacon of academia is that high on this list? 03-lmfao)
#44 East Carolina
#38 UCONN
#30 UGA
#24 Ohio University
#17 Tulane
06-06-2016 12:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
RE: OT: Most Fun SBC Schools
I'm surprised ULL is so far down the list. Wow
06-06-2016 12:40 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(06-06-2016 12:40 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  I'm surprised ULL is so far down the list. Wow

I was too being in a city like Lafayette. I did notice that smaller schools in larger cities were usually low on the list. I don't know if it has anything to do with percentage of commuter vs traditional students or not.
06-06-2016 12:49 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
Quote:#48 Texas State

Quick, someone call my High School Guidance Counselor (and the Texas school counselors association for that matter), and let them know that San Marcos is no longer the destination for binge drinkers and neerdowells
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 01:02 PM by chrisattsu.)
06-06-2016 01:02 PM
HighCountry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: APP STATE
Ohio must have partied too hard to drive down to Montgomery last December.
06-06-2016 01:19 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
App should be rated higher on that party school list, but there's more to "fun" than parties.

App has three skii Mountains within a 25 minute drive of campus; countless great hiking destinations; and water falls and watering holes that play host to many college gathers with music, beer coolers, etc. ASU is 15 minutes from America's most popular National Park: the Blue Ridge Parkway. Grandfather Mountain. You get the idea.

Shifting back to partying, Boone/Blowing Rock has several world class breweries and many fun college bars. The non-bar house party scene was significant when I was in school, but when I was a Junior we got liq by the drink and the party scene took a back seat to an exploding bar scene (we had many before, but the market exploded after LBTD was passed).

I've never visited another SBC school for more than a football game (and that was only GaSo). I visited all the big ones in NC. Nothing ever came close to App in terms of "fun."
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 01:22 PM by DrGonzo.)
06-06-2016 01:21 PM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(06-06-2016 01:21 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  App should be rated higher on that party school list, but there's more to "fun" than parties.

App has three skii Mountains within a 25 minute drive of campus; countless great hiking destinations; and water falls and watering holes that play host to many college gathers with music, beer coolers, etc. ASU is 15 minutes from America's most popular National Park: the Blue Ridge Parkway. Grandfather Mountain. You get the idea.

Shifting back to partying, Boone/Blowing Rock has several world class breweries and many fun college bars. The non-bar house party scene was significant when I was in school, but when I was a Junior we got liq by the drink and the party scene took a back seat to an exploding bar scene (we had many before, but the market exploded after LBTD was passed).

I've never visited another SBC school for more than a football game (and that was only GaSo). I visited all the big ones in NC. Nothing ever came close to App in terms of "fun."

I'm honestly surprised GS is still ranked so high since a lot of the bars closed after the incident a year or so ago. There are a lot of things to do in Statesboro but it takes a local or someone in-the-know to find the fun things since Statesboro is so spread out. We are within close proximity to Savannah and the beach, but not nearly like what Coastal has. Back a few years ago, I could see us being #31, but not today.

I can't wait for them to start redeveloping the Blue Mile so that more bars and shops are located in one area and easily accessible from campus.
06-06-2016 01:33 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(06-06-2016 01:02 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  

Quick, someone call my High School Guidance Counselor (and the Texas school counselors association for that matter), and let them know that San Marcos is no longer the destination for binge drinkers and neerdowells

I can take not winning in Football . .

. . Being average in Basketball. .

. . . Meh in Baseball . . .

But we don't even Win at Binge Drinking Anymore . . . .

Damn, We don't Win at Nothin'. . . .
06-06-2016 02:00 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(06-06-2016 01:21 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  App should be rated higher on that party school list, but there's more to "fun" than parties.

I can see a case for Appy being higher because of the area, not necessarily the school.

I attended So. Carolina, Coastal and finished up at Southern and of the three USC was best nightlife, whether in bars in 5 points or at parties.

All of it's subjective. I had a great time in Statesboro, too, but I wouldn't go out of my way now to hang out there. I might go to Boone just to be in the mountains.
06-06-2016 02:18 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

Even though Jonesboro has drastically improved since I graduated 13 years ago with the new restaurants and bars downtown, I doubt we will ever make a list like that being in a "dry" county, no matter how many private liquor licenses get dealt out. We still have to drive to the county line if we want to gets some drinks for the house.
06-06-2016 02:19 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

(06-06-2016 02:19 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  Even though Jonesboro has drastically improved since I graduated 13 years ago with the new restaurants and bars downtown, I doubt we will ever make a list like that being in a "dry" county, no matter how many private liquor licenses get dealt out. We still have to drive to the county line if we want to gets some drinks for the house.

Howleluiah
06-06-2016 02:43 PM
Advertisement

TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(06-06-2016 02:19 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  Even though Jonesboro has drastically improved since I graduated 13 years ago with the new restaurants and bars downtown, I doubt we will ever make a list like that being in a "dry" county, no matter how many private liquor licenses get dealt out. We still have to drive to the county line if we want to gets some drinks for the house.

Fun fact... Statesboro is in a dry county.
06-06-2016 02:53 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(06-06-2016 02:53 PM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  

Fun fact... Statesboro is in a dry county.

Well that's impressive then.
06-06-2016 03:07 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Sort of, you can buy beer and wine in stores and liquor by the drink. So I wouldn't exactly call it dry. I thought it was fun when I went, but thought that's what most colleges were like.
06-06-2016 03:44 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

(06-06-2016 03:44 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Sort of, you can buy beer and wine in stores and liquor by the drink. So I wouldn't exactly call it dry. I thought it was fun when I went, but thought that's what most colleges were like.

That ain't dry.
Come to Jonesboro.
06-06-2016 04:06 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(06-06-2016 02:00 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 01:02 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  

I can take not winning in Football . .

. . Being average in Basketball. .

. . . Meh in Baseball . . .

But we don't even Win at Binge Drinking Anymore . . . .

Damn, We don't Win at Nothin'. . . .
Depressing to have fallen so far down the list, isn't it?
06-06-2016 04:13 PM
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(06-06-2016 04:06 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 03:44 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Sort of, you can buy beer and wine in stores and liquor by the drink. So I wouldn't exactly call it dry. I thought it was fun when I went, but thought that's what most colleges were like.

That ain't dry.
Come to Jonesboro.

That's called Damp.

Tarleton, my other team, is located in Erath County, Texas. Up until 2008, Erath was dry and you had to drive 23 miles to the county line to purchase alcoholic beverages for home consumption. That didn't stop anyone from drinking, it just meant a bunch of people left the party at 10:30 to make a last run for booze before the stores closed.

Bars were all private clubs with annual membership fees. Even places like Chilis were not immune. They had to open without a bar because the city delayed issuing their liquor license. Ever eat Chilis without booze? I don't recommend it.
06-06-2016 04:45 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(06-06-2016 04:45 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  

That ain't dry.
Come to Jonesboro.

That's called Damp.

Tarleton, my other team, is located in Erath County, Texas. Up until 2008, Erath was dry and you had to drive 23 miles to the county line to purchase alcoholic beverages for home consumption. That didn't stop anyone from drinking, it just meant a bunch of people left the party at 10:30 to make a last run for booze before the stores closed.

Bars were all private clubs with annual membership fees. Even places like Chilis were not immune. They had to open without a bar because the city delayed issuing their liquor license. Ever eat Chilis without booze? I don't recommend it.

That's how Jonesboro is. For a restaurant to serve alcohol they have to be a private club with yearly memberships and a certain percentage of receipts have to be from food. Most places just have a sign in sheet and you can sign in under member or guest, they don't really care. But when you check in at the Olive Garden they just automatically hand you a membership card.
06-06-2016 10:27 PM
HowlForAState Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(06-06-2016 10:27 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

That ain't dry.
Come to Jonesboro.

That's called Damp.

That's how Jonesboro is. For a restaurant to serve alcohol they have to be a private club with yearly memberships and a certain percentage of receipts have to be from food. Most places just have a sign in sheet and you can sign in under member or guest, they don't really care. But when you check in at the Olive Garden they just automatically hand you a membership card.

All pretty ridiculous to most people with common sense. Who does it stop from drinking? The only thing it does is make citizens/students more tempted to drive to the county line liquor stores when they've already been drinking. Why not keep the money in the county?
06-06-2016 11:16 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(06-06-2016 11:16 PM)HowlForAState Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 10:27 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

That ain't dry.
Come to Jonesboro.

That's called Damp.

All pretty ridiculous to most people with common sense. Who does it stop from drinking? The only thing it does is make citizens/students more tempted to drive to the county line liquor stores when they've already been drinking. Why not keep the money in the county?

Ahhh...... But what if several county commissioners are partial owners of those stores at the county lines? Gotta love small town politics.
06-06-2016 11:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.