BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Chip Brown: Big 12 expansion is NOT happening
http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story...-happening

SOURCES: BIG 12 Expansion Not Happening
Chip Brown
CHIP BROWN

"Expansion is not happening and neither is a Big 12 network - not this year, multiple sources across the Big 12 as well as TV industry sources told HornsDigest.com."

The big question is if this is the position of David Boren. If it is, then I see the Big 12 prospering. If it is done against the wishes of David Boren, Oklahoma will follow Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Mizzou. No way do you cross David Boren.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2016 03:04 PM by BE4evah.)
05-31-2016 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Chip Brown: Expansion is NOT happening
So Texas is basically going to do everything in their power to kill their own conference off, interesting tactic.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2016 03:02 PM by 49RFootballNow.)
05-31-2016 03:02 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
RE: Chip Brown: Big 12 expansion is NOT happening
(05-31-2016 03:02 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  So Texas is basically going to do everything in their power to kill their own conference off, interesting tactic.

They aren't interested in playing football against G5 schools. Can't blame them for that viewpoint.
05-31-2016 03:06 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(05-31-2016 03:02 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  So Texas is basically going to do everything in their power to kill their own conference off, interesting tactic.

For them it's a win-win. If the Big 12 survives, it'll be on Texas's terms. If it doesn't, they'll have their choice of conference affiliations or the option of going independent. They're gambling with house money, which happens to be the rent money for half of the conference.
05-31-2016 03:06 PM
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

Apparently. As most know, Chip Brown is the voice of Texas. They feed him the Texas party line. This quote about sums it up:

"By making the Longhorn Network deal that lucrative, ESPN all but guaranteed Texas would never walk away from it and, thus, would not be walking away from the Big 12 any time soon. So far, mission accomplished. Let's check back in 2024."
"
05-31-2016 03:07 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-31-2016 03:06 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

For them it's a win-win. If the Big 12 survives, it'll be on Texas's terms. If it doesn't, they'll have their choice of conference affiliations or the option of going independent. They're gambling with house money, which happens to be the rent money for half of the conference.

Independence may be on their mind because going to any other conference would mean giving up the LHN.
If they give the LHN to go to a different conference, what was the point on not expanding at least.

Either way, even if Texas goes Indy, they still have a problem on putting the rest of the sports in a conference that will accept their LHN.
05-31-2016 03:09 PM
Advertisement

Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
The Big 12 has officially surpassed the old Big East as the most dysfunctional Conference in NCAA history. They lack the ability to save themselves. They will follow Texas to their own deaths. 05-stirthepot
05-31-2016 03:10 PM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-31-2016 03:09 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Independence may be on their mind because going to any other conference would mean giving up the LHN.
If they give the LHN to go to a different conference, what was the point on not expanding at least.

Either way, even if Texas goes Indy, they still have a problem on putting the rest of the sports in a conference that will accept their LHN.

I have read that they will only give up the LHN to change conferences. The new money the BIG10 will be making might make up the difference for giving up the LHN as opposed to staying in the Big12......especially if they can cut a severance deal with ESPN.
05-31-2016 03:17 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
So expansion is not happening because they've made up their minds prior to hearing all of the data presentations for which they've paid millions of dollars already? Sound logic, I love it.
05-31-2016 03:21 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

(05-31-2016 03:10 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  The Big 12 has officially surpassed the old Big East as the most dysfunctional Conference in NCAA history. They lack the ability to save themselves. They will follow the pied piper to their own deaths. 05-stirthepot

Fify
05-31-2016 03:23 PM
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

One can't blame Texas. Texas needs to look after its own interests. The mid majors bandied about from the AAC and MWC just aren't going to appease Texas. Texas has to think long term. Playing in a watered down Big 12 for the next 8 years, or playing in a geographically compact, culturally cohesive conference? Except for travel to WVU life is good for Texas. They have nothing to worry about in the future.
05-31-2016 03:25 PM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(05-31-2016 03:17 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(05-31-2016 03:09 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

I have read that they will only give up the LHN to change conferences. The new money the BIG10 will be making might make up the difference for giving up the LHN as opposed to staying in the Big12......especially if they can cut a severance deal with ESPN.

This makes sense to me. Going from ~$25 million + LHN in the Big 12 to ~$40 million in the Big 10 without the LHN is break even, if nothing else.

On the other hand, if Tier 3 is $15 million with LHN then what would Tier 1 be for an independent Texas that could have its own rights to the Oklahoma game every other year? I honestly don't know but I'm sure the Texas bigwigs have done the math.
05-31-2016 03:27 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(05-31-2016 03:25 PM)BE4evah Wrote:  One can't blame Texas. Texas needs to look after its own interests. The teams bandied about from the AAC and MWC could actually beat Texas and that was never going to appease Texas. Texas has to think long term. Playing in a so called watered down Big 12 and losing more games per year for the next 8 years, or playing in a geographically compact, culturally cohesive conference? Except for travel to WVU life is good for Texas. They have nothing to worry about in the future. WVU, Iowa state, Kansas, Texas Tech and now Baylor aren't a threat to them. They can reach a Bowl game every year without adding new teams.

I fixed this for you. 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2016 03:42 PM by Mestophalies.)
05-31-2016 03:38 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
ALL Chip Brown literally said was that, " no network or expansion this year for the Big 12".

Jiminy Christmas people!
05-31-2016 03:43 PM
Sellular1 Offline
1st String

Wait a minute. What about all that stuff TripleA was saying about Memphis already being invited???? 01-wingedeagle02-13-banana03-lmfao01-wingedeagle
05-31-2016 03:43 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(05-31-2016 03:43 PM)Sellular1 Wrote:  Wait a minute. What about all that stuff TripleA was saying about Memphis already being invited???? 01-wingedeagle02-13-banana03-lmfao01-wingedeagle

FedEx probably stiffed the Big 12 on the check like they did the old Big East. 05-stirthepot
05-31-2016 03:45 PM
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
(05-31-2016 03:43 PM)Dasville Wrote:  ALL Chip Brown literally said was that, " no network or expansion this year for the Big 12".

Jiminy Christmas people!

The point is that if they Big 12 liked the schools, they would be working to get invites out. They aren't. They don't want those schools.

Not expanding now makes it easier not to expand next year and the following year. Just the way human behavior works.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2016 03:48 PM by Nebraskafan.)
05-31-2016 03:47 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Can't say I'm shocked.

Don't really care one way or another whether UT is "evil" or whatever, the party line a year ago was that the Big XII wouldn't expand then because there wasn't anyone bringing more dollars than they would consume. That really hasn't changed.

When the last TV deal was negotiated, the thinking was that a conference network wasn't viable enough to pursue, so they didn't. The carrot was thrown to let schools sell their third tier to make up for more balanced revenue sharing and everyone went out and sold their rights, Texas just sold their rights for a crap ton of money, instead of some syndicated broadcast deal around the state or a deal with Fox SW. ESPN is the one who came to Austin bearing staggering dollar amounts and you can question whether ESPN's intent was to cash in on a deal they thought would be profitable or they were betting Texas would eventually leave Big XII and the boys in Bristol would get a windfall from that.

The only strong motivation to expand at this point is stability and the GOR probably does that already. Kick the can down the road to a point where the GOR is closer to expiring and thus there is greater economic risk of a defection and at that point you can assign a dollar value to stability.
05-31-2016 03:53 PM
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
I'll be interested in hearing what the tone and attitude at the first press conference tomorrow is. I don't doubt Chip Brown has some Big 12 'sources', but they haven't even gotten all the data they paid money for yet. I have a feeling there is a bit more to this story than the door being bolted shut on the first day.
05-31-2016 03:54 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

(05-31-2016 03:54 PM)stxrunner Wrote:  I'll be interested in hearing what the tone and attitude at the first press conference tomorrow is. I don't doubt Chip Brown has some Big 12 'sources', but they haven't even gotten all the data they paid money for yet. I have a feeling there is a bit more to this story than the door being bolted shut on the first day.

Wouldn't it be great if they did though? At this point it's like the keystone cops are running the B12.
05-31-2016 03:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.