Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Vouchers lead to better outcomes
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Vouchers lead to better outcomes
The Department of Education Reform at the University of Arkansas has released.

Quote:....The study’s most important news is that voucher students show “statistically significant” improvement in math and reading test scores.....

The teachers unions and their allies typically reply that voucher kids do better because they have more motivated parents....

...authors compared students who had vouchers to students who applied for vouchers but didn’t get them.... By the usual definition, both sets of kids had motivated parents. The kids with vouchers still did better....

.... Publicly funded voucher programs produced better results than privately funded scholarships.....

Link

Link to PDF page
05-27-2016 07:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
RE: Vouchers lead to better outcomes
How can this be?
05-27-2016 07:44 AM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
The teachers unions and their allies typically reply that voucher kids do better because they have more motivated parents

The parents were just as motivated when their kids went to crappy public/union controlled schools. Thats not a metric that changed. What changed was where the kids went to school.
05-27-2016 07:44 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-27-2016 07:44 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  The teachers unions and their allies typically reply that voucher kids do better because they have more motivated parents

The parents were just as motivated when their kids went to crappy public/union controlled schools. Thats not a metric that changed. What changed was where the kids went to school.

The most important thing IS parents that care.......2nd most important are the students attending a given school and the attitudes they walk into the building with.

Truthfully - the teachers are probably 3rd or 4th down the line........think about it, all teachers come out of the same colleges and some go to high achieving suburban schools and others to poor performing urban or rural schools - they were all prepared for teaching in the same manner.
05-27-2016 09:13 AM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Where is Fitbud at for this thread?
05-27-2016 09:27 AM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
I tried to read the PDF, lot of jargon and hard for a layman like me to interpret. What I did glean was the program might've led to fewer at-risk kids getting in trouble if they stay in a private school until they graduate. That's a good thing for those kids, no doubt.

A couple copy and pastes from the PDF:

"We conclude that merely being exposed to private schooling for a
short time through a voucher program may not have a significant impact on criminal activity,
though persistently attending a private school through a voucher program can decrease
subsequent criminal activity, especially for males."

"Our model estimates indicate that experiencing the MPCP
throughout high school reduces the likelihood of a student committing a misdemeanor as a young
adult by 5 to 7 percentage points, of committing a felony by 3 percentage points, and of being
accused of any crime by 5 to 12 percentage points."
05-27-2016 09:47 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I'm not surprised. I do wonder if that would continue if the number of students with vouchers increased significantly.
05-27-2016 10:06 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
Quote:The teachers unions and their allies typically reply that voucher kids do better because they have more motivated parents....

So is the TU saying that motivated parents don't exist in the public school system? I call bs.. the parents that were motivated with the voucher users, were motivated when they were in public schools I'll bet..

Nice fail on the blame shift, Teacher's Union..
05-27-2016 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(05-27-2016 07:36 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  The Department of Education Reform at the University of Arkansas has released.

Quote:....The study’s most important news is that voucher students show “statistically significant” improvement in math and reading test scores.....

The teachers unions and their allies typically reply that voucher kids do better because they have more motivated parents....

...authors compared students who had vouchers to students who applied for vouchers but didn’t get them.... By the usual definition, both sets of kids had motivated parents. The kids with vouchers still did better....

.... Publicly funded voucher programs produced better results than privately funded scholarships.....

Link

Link to PDF page

If you are motivated to get a voucher, it doesn't matter if you get in or not, you are already a motivated parent.
05-27-2016 10:10 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

(05-27-2016 10:10 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(05-27-2016 07:36 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  The Department of Education Reform at the University of Arkansas has released.

Link

Link to PDF page

If you are motivated to get a voucher, it doesn't matter if you get in or not, you are already a motivated parent.

Do you not read the entire post? Let me repeat

The kids with vouchers still did better....
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2016 10:15 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
05-27-2016 10:15 AM
NIU007 Online
Legend

(05-27-2016 10:09 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
Quote:The teachers unions and their allies typically reply that voucher kids do better because they have more motivated parents....

So is the TU saying that motivated parents don't exist in the public school system? I call bs.. the parents that were motivated with the voucher users, were motivated when they were in public schools I'll bet..

The response would be, that public schools would have a lower percentage of motivated parents, not that there aren't any motivated parents. Of course that's a hypothesis, but a plausible one.
05-27-2016 10:17 AM
Advertisement

QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

By the way, I personally back up my opinions with my money. For over 20 years I've been contributing to the Buffalo Inner-city Scholarship Opportunity Network (BISON Fund) that provides private "vouchers."
05-27-2016 10:18 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(05-27-2016 10:17 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

The response would be, that public schools would have a lower percentage of motivated parents, not that there aren't any motivated parents. Of course that's a hypothesis, but a plausible one.

I don't think there's a lower percentage of motivated parents, just a higher percentage of unmotivated ones.

This leads me to wonder: what is the factor that leads private schools to be better for students (really depends on the pvt school vs. public school relations in a particular county)?

Is it class size? Is it association? Is it more localized control? Is it the fact that they can have any student out of their hair if they wanted?
05-30-2016 02:33 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

Link

Link to PDF page

I stopped after this....fk me.....

Quote:In this report we examine crime rates for young adults who experienced Milwaukee's citywide
voucher program as high school students and a comparable group of their peers who had been
public school students. Using unique data collected as part of a longitudinal evaluation of the
program, we consider criminal activity by youth initially exposed to voucher schools and those
in public schools at the same time.

lmao at more stupid shite....
05-30-2016 02:39 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

(05-30-2016 02:33 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  

[b]I don't think there's a lower percentage of motivated parents, just a higher percentage of unmotivated ones.[/b]

This leads me to wonder: what is the factor that leads private schools to be better for students (really depends on the pvt school vs. public school relations in a particular county)?

Is it class size? Is it association? Is it more localized control? Is it the fact that they can have any student out of their hair if they wanted?

That's the same thing. The private schools at the moment are essentially elitist. They are no better than public schools except that they are able to exclude the dregs of society. If public schools could do the same the results would be similar.
05-30-2016 08:09 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(05-30-2016 08:09 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

[b]I don't think there's a lower percentage of motivated parents, just a higher percentage of unmotivated ones.[/b]

That's the same thing. The private schools at the moment are essentially elitist. They are no better than public schools except that they are able to exclude the dregs of society. If public schools could do the same the results would be similar.

I agree with you
05-30-2016 08:16 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Online
Legend

(05-30-2016 08:16 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(05-30-2016 08:09 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(05-27-2016 10:09 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  So is the TU saying that motivated parents don't exist in the public school system? I call bs.. the parents that were motivated with the voucher users, were motivated when they were in public schools I'll bet..

I agree with you

So there's 2 of us. 04-cheers
05-30-2016 08:18 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(05-27-2016 10:10 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

Link

Link to PDF page

But if you get it your kid will share a classroom with other children who have motivated parents...
05-30-2016 08:57 PM
Hood-rich Offline

(05-27-2016 10:18 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  By the way, I personally back up my opinions with my money. For over 20 years I've been contributing to the Buffalo Inner-city Scholarship Opportunity Network (BISON Fund) that provides private "vouchers."
Good on ya mate. 04-cheers

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
05-30-2016 09:10 PM
Hood-rich Offline

(05-30-2016 08:16 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  That's the same thing. The private schools at the moment are essentially elitist. They are no better than public schools except that they are able to exclude the dregs of society. If public schools could do the same the results would be similar.

But they cant, thus the point. In some districts, no problem. In others you couldnt pay me to send my kid to public.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2016 09:16 PM by Hood-rich.)
05-30-2016 09:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.