Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Happy Derby Day 142 !
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Happy Derby Day 142 !
Part of the history of The Kentucky Derby....

05-07-2016 06:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

RE: Happy Derby Day 142 !
You need to have at least one of these in your hand for My Ol' Kentucky Home and The Kentucky Derby....

05-07-2016 06:24 AM
44AndThe23 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cuse
Never watched a Kentucky derby or horse racing. Whats the pitch for someone like me to watch it?
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 06:28 AM by 44AndThe23.)
05-07-2016 06:28 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
I'm one of the few Louisvillians that could not care less about the Derby....don't even know who is running...will go to a BBQ later today though..lol
05-07-2016 06:39 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I guess it depends on the individual....

I don't consider myself much of a horseman either. In Louisville during The Derby Festival everyone enjoys trying though....

I guess it's to each his own thing. When I lived in LA friends would ask the same question. Superficially I could say the history, the horses, the women, the bourbon. The truth is unless you have been here to experience it for yourself you can never really know. Native Kentuckian and New York Journalist Irvin S Cobb once said

“Until you go to the Kentucky Derby with your own eyes, behold the Derby, you ain’t never been nowhere and you ain’t never seen nothing.”
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 06:52 AM by CardinalJim.)
05-07-2016 06:51 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

So is it a Derby BBQ?

(05-07-2016 06:39 AM)Maize Wrote:  I'm one of the few Louisvillians that could not care less about the Derby....don't even know who is running...will go to a BBQ later today though..lol
05-07-2016 06:53 AM
Cody6003 Offline
Water Engineer

(05-07-2016 06:51 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I guess it depends on the individual....

I don't consider myself much of a horseman either. In Louisville during The Derby Festival everyone enjoys trying though....

I guess it's to each his own thing. When I lived in LA friends would ask the same question. Superficially I could say the history, the horses, the women, the bourbon. The truth is unless you have been here to experience it for yourself you can never really know. Native Kentuckian and New York Journalist Irvin S Cobb once said

“Until you go to the Kentucky Derby with your own eyes, behold the Derby, you ain’t never been nowhere and you ain’t never seen nothing.”

The Kentucky Derby to many Louisville residents is all about partying. Their are thousands of Derby Parties. It is kind of like New Years Eve but lasts longer ( some people party both Friday and Saturday.) Families grill out, have friends and family over, socialize and play games. Lots of booze is consumed but lots of non drinking people also have and attend " get togethers ". They often have a betting table set up that may be privately run or online. People like myself who know nothing about horses place $2 bets on all of the 13 races. Everyone brings a dish to many parties and food is everywhere.
05-07-2016 07:29 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Looking for some good traditional music for my Derby mix I stumbled upon these guys from Alabama playing good Ol Kentucky music...

05-07-2016 08:35 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(05-07-2016 06:53 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  So is it a Derby BBQ?

(05-07-2016 06:39 AM)Maize Wrote:  I'm one of the few Louisvillians that could not care less about the Derby....don't even know who is running...will go to a BBQ later today though..lol

Lol....Jim you know good and well ppl here going to be cooking out...04-cheers
05-07-2016 08:37 AM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Happy Derby Day 142 !
It's the most exciting 2 minutes in sports!
05-07-2016 08:55 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(05-07-2016 08:55 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  It's the most exciting 2 minutes in sports!

So the deal is this: Once you go one time, it will probably blow you away. And you will go again and then maybe again. Incredible beauty and old-time pageantry and pomp. Most people aren't really excited about the horses themselves, but about seeing just about any noteworthy person on the planet (not quite, but close). There is nowhere else on any day in the entire world that so many MEN dress up like THIS to attend a Sporting/Sports Event. And the Women are INCREDIBLE!

More money is wagered on both Derby Day AND on Oaks Day than at any other horseracing day. It is an incredible time for professional bettors to make money, because there is so much stupid betting at Derby.

The Stakes are the second highest in America, behind the Breeders' Cup.

You see the best horses, best jockeys and best trainers.

You see the Sport of Kings at its glorious Best.

There's a LOT of booze. LOTS. LOTS. High End, Low End. And EVERYONE needs to drink ONE of the Sweetest Alcoholic Drinks made in the whole world, the Mint Julep.

The experience is one-of-a-kind.

For those who like Saratoga or Keeneland, they are both undeniably beautiful. Churchill Downs (or Santa Anita) is a whole 'nuther thing entirely.

The Call to the Post and then the Final Turn and Race Down the Stretch will send chills through your spine.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 10:56 AM by IHAVETRIED.)
05-07-2016 10:45 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(05-07-2016 08:37 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 06:53 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  So is it a Derby BBQ?

Lol....Jim you know good and well ppl here going to be cooking out...04-cheers

04-cheers
No doubt heading to one myself over off Blevins Gap. A Derby Tradition for us. My brother books the races, we sit around eating drinking and telling lies. Have a good time. I hope your horse comes in.

BTW hearing a lot of chatter this morning about Gun Runner and Mohaymen
05-07-2016 10:47 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
So Jim...how much to park at our tailgate lot today?
05-07-2016 02:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(05-07-2016 02:38 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  So Jim...how much to park at our tailgate lot today?

Mark it used to be $50.00 lot but it's probably $75.00 now.

BTW I hit the 8th & 10th today. Lost my butt in The Derby. I had Mohaymen. Lana hit the 9th and The Derby. She had place and show money on Exaggerated.

We came home with $80.00 more than we took. It was a good day.
Jim
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 08:37 PM by CardinalJim.)
05-07-2016 08:33 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
I always like to watch the actual race & hope for a Triple Crown winner. And the fact that it is so rare is really cool! I still remember Seattle Slew doing it when I was a kid.
05-07-2016 08:49 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Attendance at Church today: 167227
That's more spectators than the NCAA football championship and the NCAA basketball championship combined.
05-07-2016 09:44 PM
Villecard Offline
Special Teams

Well said....also, that first turn when the camera pans back to show the twin spires is arguably the best shot in all of sports.

(05-07-2016 10:45 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 08:55 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  It's the most exciting 2 minutes in sports!

So the deal is this: Once you go one time, it will probably blow you away. And you will go again and then maybe again. Incredible beauty and old-time pageantry and pomp. Most people aren't really excited about the horses themselves, but about seeing just about any noteworthy person on the planet (not quite, but close). There is nowhere else on any day in the entire world that so many MEN dress up like THIS to attend a Sporting/Sports Event. And the Women are INCREDIBLE!

More money is wagered on both Derby Day AND on Oaks Day than at any other horseracing day. It is an incredible time for professional bettors to make money, because there is so much stupid betting at Derby.

The Stakes are the second highest in America, behind the Breeders' Cup.

You see the best horses, best jockeys and best trainers.

You see the Sport of Kings at its glorious Best.

There's a LOT of booze. LOTS. LOTS. High End, Low End. And EVERYONE needs to drink ONE of the Sweetest Alcoholic Drinks made in the whole world, the Mint Julep.

The experience is one-of-a-kind.

For those who like Saratoga or Keeneland, they are both undeniably beautiful. Churchill Downs (or Santa Anita) is a whole 'nuther thing entirely.

The Call to the Post and then the Final Turn and Race Down the Stretch will send chills through your spine.
05-07-2016 09:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Re: RE: Happy Derby Day 142 !
(05-07-2016 08:49 PM)texasorange Wrote:  I always like to watch the actual race & hope for a Triple Crown winner. And the fact that it is so rare is really cool! I still remember Seattle Slew doing it when I was a kid.

That's pretty much what people attend or watch the races for. The horse that wins The Derby immediately becomes Louisville's horse for the Preakness and with any luck wins and moves on to the Belmont.

An interesting fact they mentioned today on local TV. American Pharaoh just finished his first breeding season at stud over in Versailles KY. He impregnated 100 mares. His owners will receive $200,000 for every live foal born. Keep in mind AP only made 8.6 million winning the Triple Crown. He made 2 1/2 times that romancing the ladies. What a life.
05-07-2016 09:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.