Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News From Big 12 Meetings
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
News From Big 12 Meetings
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-...conference

In other B1g 12 news the latest in the TCU showgirls vs Tech players saga...complete with a cringe worthy first sentence in the Star Telegram article.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-...77877.html
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 08:32 AM by Tiki Owl.)
05-04-2016 08:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: News From Big 12 Meetings
... several of the TCU dancers complained that the Red Raider players were doing unflattering things to the dance team, like throwing water and dirt at them.

Guys tease the girls they like but this is taking that formula a bit too far. These are TCU girls - try jewelry first.

04-cheers 04-bow

Those girls are used to being flattered.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 12:10 PM by OptimisticOwl.)
05-04-2016 09:15 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Iran is squabbling with Isreal (sic)?
05-04-2016 09:22 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(05-04-2016 09:22 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Iran is squabbling with Isreal (sic)?

Only if you count "developing nuclaer waepons and vowing to wipe them off the face of the aerth" as squabbling.

(You know, when I started to write that sentence, I didn't realize it would have three "ea" combinations in it -- and all phonetically different)

But for Pete's sake, why the heck are there showgirls at baseball games? That's just wrong.
05-04-2016 12:04 PM
07owl Offline
All American

Mac Engel is, and has always been, a joke. It's best to ignore him
05-04-2016 12:06 PM
TJS_NYC Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Shiner Bock
(05-04-2016 12:04 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 09:22 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Iran is squabbling with Isreal (sic)?

Only if you count "developing nuclaer waepons and vowing to wipe them off the face of the aerth" as squabbling.

(You know, when I started to write that sentence, I didn't realize it would have three "ea" combinations in it -- and all phonetically different)

But for Pete's sake, why the heck are there showgirls at baseball games? That's just wrong.

Auditioning for their post-grad jobs in Vegas? 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 12:22 PM by TJS_NYC.)
05-04-2016 12:21 PM
Advertisement

Pimpa Offline
Special Teams

Back to the expansion topic - whatever comes of the Big 12's possible expansion, Rice needs to be ready to move on any viable opportunity sent its way. Not only from a relevance perspective, but from a financial perspective, if the reports about CUSA's new TV contracts is correct. Now more than ever is the time to bust out the sandwich boards, and I have faith that Dr. K and the rest of the staff are working the phones/emails/snapchats/twitter/etc. We, along with UTEP, were mentioned as possible expansion candidates for the Mountain West last December, which shows that we are being proactive, rather than reactive.
05-04-2016 03:31 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(05-04-2016 03:31 PM)Pimpa Wrote:  Back to the expansion topic - whatever comes of the Big 12's possible expansion, Rice needs to be ready to move on any viable opportunity sent its way. Not only from a relevance perspective, but from a financial perspective, if the reports about CUSA's new TV contracts is correct. Now more than ever is the time to bust out the sandwich boards, and I have faith that Dr. K and the rest of the staff are working the phones/emails/snapchats/twitter/etc. We, along with UTEP, were mentioned as possible expansion candidates for the Mountain West last December, which shows that we are being proactive, rather than reactive.

Agreed, and like you, I am confident that the current Rice team is way ahead of all of us. The uncertainty lies in getting the opportunity in the first place. Should such develop, Rice's readiness to take it will not (this time) be an issue.
05-04-2016 03:45 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
Additional competition for MWC expansion - Wichita State is looking at adding football and is interested in a move to the MWC.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...k-football
05-04-2016 04:00 PM
75src Offline
All American

We need to be able to move to guarantee our survival as a top level program. The current CUSA does not attract enough television money and viewing and spectator interest to keep us at the top level over the long term.

(05-04-2016 03:31 PM)Pimpa Wrote:  Back to the expansion topic - whatever comes of the Big 12's possible expansion, Rice needs to be ready to move on any viable opportunity sent its way. Not only from a relevance perspective, but from a financial perspective, if the reports about CUSA's new TV contracts is correct. Now more than ever is the time to bust out the sandwich boards, and I have faith that Dr. K and the rest of the staff are working the phones/emails/snapchats/twitter/etc. We, along with UTEP, were mentioned as possible expansion candidates for the Mountain West last December, which shows that we are being proactive, rather than reactive.
05-04-2016 04:04 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

(05-04-2016 04:00 PM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  Additional competition for MWC expansion - Wichita State is looking at adding football and is interested in a move to the MWC.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...k-football

Nothing says "mountainous" like Wichita
05-04-2016 04:48 PM
Advertisement

Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(05-04-2016 04:48 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 04:00 PM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  ... Wichita State is looking at adding football and is interested in a move to the MWC.

Nothing says "mountainous" like Wichita

Except, perhaps, the Wichita Mountains (although they're not near Wichita, Kan., or Wichita Falls, Tex.):

[Image: 812116.jpg]

(Ahhh ... the memories of Army ROTC summer camp at For Sill, Okla.)
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 04:55 PM by Almadenmike.)
05-04-2016 04:55 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl

Talking to some of the marketing/revenue folks recently, they indicated that the increased ticket sales was a function of focus and effort. Sadly, a lot of time/opportunities have been missed in the last 15 yrs. This group across the board is so much more with it than in the past. We needed this in 2006-08 etc. not a bunch of black suited security guards. I hope Dr K can make something happen, though I will admit I thought CUSA was going to be fine and never dreamed that a third conference would crumble around us.
05-04-2016 05:24 PM
lou Offline
2nd String

Every thread about changing conferences:

[Image: readImage?iid=55311130]
05-05-2016 08:11 AM
WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(05-04-2016 03:45 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  

Agreed, and like you, I am confident that the current Rice team is way ahead of all of us. The uncertainty lies in getting the opportunity in the first place. Should such develop, Rice's readiness to take it will not (this time) be an issue.

I am still not sold. Remember, the current president is the one that laughed at UH and SMU's move to the AAC.....
05-05-2016 08:27 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(05-05-2016 08:27 AM)WIowl Wrote:  

I am still not sold. Remember, the current president is the one that laughed at UH and SMU's move to the AAC.....

I have faith that the current president will listen to the current AD.
05-05-2016 08:30 AM
Advertisement

Middle Ages Offline
1st String

I Root For: .

This is exactly where I am as well.
05-05-2016 12:23 PM
WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(05-05-2016 12:23 PM)Middle Ages Wrote:  

Big12 is likely to expand in the near future so we should find out shortly.

If UH leaves AAC, I hope our past relationships with SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane help us. I think we will be fighting Southern Miss for a spot, but Rice would keep a Houston presence.
05-05-2016 12:44 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
many have blamed our situation on ad's and the athletic depts. of the past. But I put this squarely on the BOT and Leebron. My first experience with Leebron was at a pre-season event for the FB team in 2004 and his interaction with Coach Hat and the FB team was such that it was pretty clear that he was not much of a supporter.

Sadly being from the Ivy League, he didn't get the affect of Athletics outside of the NE, maybe, underline maybe, he has come around, but I will believe it when I see it. At an Owl Club meeting, Dr. K indicated that Leebron and the BOT was very supportive, but I see no "we are going to do what it takes" attitude from that level and believe he has to say that no matter what. Dr. K's staff is doing a great job, best since the early 2000's when marketing/dept funds starting being cut, but the conference situation is just awful.

I worry that it is too late, that such focus was needed when the SWC broke up (see TCU, and recently UH-who has made it a priority to move up), but if the all out effort doesn't happen in the soon to come next round of realignment, we need to brace ourselves to playing Trinity (no offense as it is a great school which gets tuition money from me) and the NW Vermont School for Blind Orphan Girls (and no offense to any of those either).
05-05-2016 02:51 PM
exowlswimmer Offline
2nd String

(05-05-2016 12:44 PM)WIowl Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 12:23 PM)Middle Ages Wrote:  

Big12 is likely to expand in the near future so we should find out shortly.

If UH leaves AAC, I hope our past relationships with SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane help us. I think we will be fighting Southern Miss for a spot, but Rice would keep a Houston presence.
Denver is as a Big 12 affiliate in Gymnastics, ODU is in for Rowing.

Rice could join the Big 12, SEC and Big 10 right now. Join these conferences in sports our conference doesn't offer. Add Women's Rowing for the Big 12, Men's and Women's Lacrosse for the Big 10 and Women's Gymnastics and Men's Swimming and Diving for the SEC.
05-05-2016 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.