Vince Holmes
04-13-2016 03:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Purple Pilgrim Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Vince Holmes
Well, We need a back-up at point guard. Does anyone know anything about how this guy plays?
04-13-2016 03:11 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Vince Holmes
Hey Holmes
04-13-2016 03:23 PM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
(04-13-2016 03:23 PM)jmusuperfan Wrote:  Hey Holmes

Post of the year
04-13-2016 03:27 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(04-13-2016 03:11 PM)Purple Pilgrim Wrote:  Well, We need a back-up at point guard. Does anyone know anything about how this guy plays?

The highlight reel on the VC site looked to be from high school, but here are his stats from JUCO last year: 10.2 ppg, 6.0 apg, 5.0 total reb, and 1.6 steals. Started 20 games and averaged about 25 minutes per game. He had a 3.1 assist-turnover ratio.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2015-...iew=lineup
04-13-2016 03:40 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

He is not a good shooter, but has good ball skills which fills the major void in this team. Rowe will need to put the red light on shots outside of 5 feet and have this guy be the primary penetrator and distributor.

Priority #1 - get a Point Guard. check Shepherd decommits, Holmes commits. Holmes has Junior College experience so he likely has the maturity to get more minutes faster than Shepherd would have.
04-13-2016 03:50 PM
Advertisement

JMU13 Offline
Special Teams

(04-13-2016 03:50 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  He is not a good shooter, but has good ball skills which fills the major void in this team. Rowe will need to put the red light on shots outside of 5 feet and have this guy be the primary penetrator and distributor.

Priority #1 - get a Point Guard. check Shepherd decommits, Holmes commits. Holmes has Junior College experience so he likely has the maturity to get more minutes faster than Shepherd would have.

I respectfully disagree. This guy doesn't seem to have as many offers/interest surrounding him. Shepard had a spotlight on him from the get-go...I think he would have done very well freshman yeAr.
04-13-2016 04:14 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Very slow release and not much tape on him shooting jumpers. He is a slasher but I did not see a lot of quickness with him. I did like the fact that he does play defense and does have some explosiiveness in his jumping.
04-13-2016 05:18 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

So I guess this guy and Morgan will never be on the court at the same time as neither can shoot from the outside.
04-13-2016 06:10 PM
nyduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
doesnt seem as highly regarded as shepard, hopefully he develops into a solid player.....time will tell

I d also like to know where Kangi fits in if at all.
04-13-2016 06:43 PM
Dukester Online

(04-13-2016 03:09 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  http://verbalcommits.com/players/vince-holmes

By no comment can I assume you're underwhelmed?
04-13-2016 06:54 PM
Advertisement

NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
A few notes on Holmes:

- He started as a freshman for a D1 Juco team Otero that was ranked in the top 20 nationally. To put it in perspective Cincinnati State (Winston Grays, Goins) was a D2 Juco- it is accepted to D1 Juco is a superior level of talent.

- As has been mentioned he had very good assist and assist to turnover numbers- top 30 in Juco as a freshman

- Since he was a freshman he transfers and is immediately eligible as a Sophomore at JMU so the Dukes get him for an extra year over what is typical for Juco transfers.

- Good size- 6' 4". Not sure if the thoughts about his poor shooting are 100% accurate- the numbers show that he was a little streaky but in January as an example he shot 45% from deep in 9 games.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2015-16...ew=profile
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2016 10:19 PM by NJDuke97.)
04-13-2016 10:12 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

A point guard with decent size at 6'4", I like it. I would argue that a juco transfer tends to be a lesser risk than a FR straight from HS. Also, he appears to be quick, explosive, athletic.....which are qualities that JMU needs to enhance on its roster.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 09:14 AM by ShadyP.)
04-14-2016 09:13 AM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

So, do you guys feel that we need a PG to take the majority of minutes from McLean, or someone that just needs to be on hand as basically the 2nd string pg and plays 15-20 min a game? I actually think McLean is going to do very good things next year as a PG. As I see it, Curry was pretty much great at everything and could pretty much play positions 1-3, but I think McLean could be just as good at playing at PG. Just trying to get a read on the situation. I think we will be fine playing Holmes ~15-20 min a game next year, but not if we need someone to take the bulk share.
04-14-2016 10:57 AM
Dukes84 Online
All American

Dukester --

Here are my quick observations.

1. He didn't have a ton of offers on the table.
2. He doesn't wow you in that video. I would agree that he doesn't appear to be at the level of Shepherd, but it's always difficult to judge unless you actually see guys in person.
3. I don't think he's 6-4....looks shorter than that. He's got reasonable hops and long arms, however. A solid athlete, not a great one.
4. There are a lot of positives, however. His team was 27-6 and he was second on the team in minutes played. He averaged 6 assists a game. Both his assists and assist to turnover ratio were among the national leaders (top 30 or so). His team's points per game, field goal percentage defense and three point field goal percentage defense are among the national leaders too (top 30 or so).
5. I think this guy is the team's starting point guard next season with McLean playing off the ball.
6. Today's paper mentioned that Shepherd is no longer considering JMU and the staff is looking to add a scorer with the last scholarship. That seems like a smart move given the loss of Curry and the offensive droughts they had at times last season.
7. This team has three wings in Snowden, Kent and Brown, but none are really true guards in the traditional sense, it would seem. The remaining group of guards is McLean, Holmes, Kangni and Morgan. Will be interesting who they decide to bring in. Best available player seems to make sense, but one could argue for another guard or a big that can play the 4/5, as I'm not sold on either Kangni or Morgan as players going forward and they could use a more athletic power forward that can do multiple things (not to mention the impending loss of 5 bigs). Kangni has good athleticism, but appeared to be very raw last year and he's essentially not played in games the last two seasons, while Morgan is a huge liability with his shooting.
04-14-2016 10:59 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(04-14-2016 10:57 AM)JMU08 Wrote:  So, do you guys feel that we need a PG to take the majority of minutes from McLean, or someone that just needs to be on hand as basically the 2nd string pg and plays 15-20 min a game? I actually think McLean is going to do very good things next year as a PG. As I see it, Curry was pretty much great at everything and could pretty much play positions 1-3, but I think McLean could be just as good at playing at PG. Just trying to get a read on the situation. I think we will be fine playing Holmes ~15-20 min a game next year, but not if we need someone to take the bulk share.

I see this as someone to bring in and be the backup pg next year to McLean and play @15 minutes per game.
04-14-2016 11:08 AM
Advertisement

Bogey Offline
2nd String

(04-14-2016 11:08 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  is going to do very good things next year as a PG. As I see it, Curry was pretty much great at everything and could pretty much play positions 1-3, but I think McLean could be just as good at playing at PG. Just trying to get a read on the situation. I think we will be fine playing Holmes ~15-20 min a game next year, but not if we need someone to take the bulk share.

I see this as someone to bring in and be the backup pg next year to McLean and play @15 minutes per game.
[/quote]

I would suggest that when comparing film of Shepherd and Holmes everyone remember that one is against high school level talent and the other is against D1 juco talent. I read somewhere that Holmes has a 40 inch vertical. There are exceptions to this rule but people with impressive verticals also tend to have a pretty good first step.

I am curious to see where Shepard ends up. It will give me an indication of how good coaches think he is.
04-14-2016 01:12 PM
PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

(04-14-2016 10:59 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  3. I don't think he's 6-4....looks shorter than that. He's got reasonable hops and long arms, however. A solid athlete, not a great one.

If we were looking for someone named Holmes that could be classified as long, John might have been a better get 03-wink
04-14-2016 01:22 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Some good info in the DNR this morning from Lou Rowe about Holmes. He's bee recruiting/watching him for a few years since he was an assistant at FIU and said that he has physically matured during that time and gotten better and better each year.

Also to say he was lightly recruited may be a bit misleading. I saw where Fresno had interest(Holmes backcourt mate- a sophomore- committed to Fresno the other day). They are a Mountain West program coming off an NCAA appearance. Last year JMU recruited a Juco with 3 years of eligibility Kirmani Jackson and lost out to a Mountain West team (Colorado State) this year they appear to have beaten out a Mountain West team for a Juco with 3 years of eligibility.

Also I'm a little partial because the head coach is from the town that I live in but Dan McHale of Eastern Kentucky knows talent (former Pitino (not during the scandal years) and most recently Kevin Willard assistant). They mine Jucos pretty good at Eastern Kentucky and they had interest in Holmes as well. Mercer is another pretty solid program who had shown interest. I think JMU just got ahead of this one and moved quickly before the other offers came.
04-14-2016 10:41 PM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(04-14-2016 10:41 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Some good info in the DNR this morning from Lou Rowe about Holmes. He's bee recruiting/watching him for a few years since he was an assistant at FIU and said that he has physically matured during that time and gotten better and better each year.

Also to say he was lightly recruited may be a bit misleading. I saw where Fresno had interest(Holmes backcourt mate- a sophomore- committed to Fresno the other day). They are a Mountain West program coming off an NCAA appearance. Last year JMU recruited a Juco with 3 years of eligibility Kirmani Jackson and lost out to a Mountain West team (Colorado State) this year they appear to have beaten out a Mountain West team for a Juco with 3 years of eligibility.

Also I'm a little partial because the head coach is from the town that I live in but Dan McHale of Eastern Kentucky knows talent (former Pitino (not during the scandal years) and most recently Kevin Willard assistant). They mine Jucos pretty good at Eastern Kentucky and they had interest in Holmes as well. Mercer is another pretty solid program who had shown interest. I think JMU just got ahead of this one and moved quickly before the other offers came.

Has Holmes already signed with us? I didn't think the Spring signing period had opened. If Lou is talking about Holmes directly without Holmes being a signed recruit, that would be a recruiting violation. Now, if Lou was using indirect inference, that would be ok.
04-15-2016 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.