Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ECU fan with question about AD Compher
Bookmark and Share
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Hey guys, what were your thoughts on Compher when he was AD at NIU. Lots of unhappy ECU campers right now. Lots of questions about his decision making skills and motives.
03-26-2016 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: ECU fan with question about AD Compher
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it was one of the happiest moments of my NIU fandom when Compher left. I'm sorry for your bad luck in having him land at your school.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
03-26-2016 02:27 PM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
03-26-2016 02:42 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

I Root For: NIU
Nice guy, terrible AD.
03-26-2016 03:49 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(03-26-2016 03:49 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  Nice guy, terrible AD.
This basically

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
03-26-2016 04:35 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
You're going to get a lot of complaints about "Jiff"....
03-26-2016 04:56 PM
Advertisement

17Huskies Offline
Heisman

I hope Jeff sends a "Thank You" card to Jordan Lynch every month, because that's really the only reason he was ever able to land the ECU job. He did very little to grow and expand the NIU athletics program as a whole, even during one of the most astonishing successful college football runs by a mid-major team.
03-26-2016 04:59 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
He did some good things here including building the Chessick Center and soccer/track complex and hiring Carey and Montgomery. Those are achievements anyone would be proud of. He also struggled with scheduling and is real uncomfortable with the interpersonal aspect of the job. I would say he's probably better suited to the associate AD position than the top job.
03-26-2016 05:05 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
That would make you folks the second school to be upset over a hire from NIU. Mike Korcek told the story about how the Cincinnati golf coach came up to the late Jack Pheanis at a spring tournament and said "Pheanis you a-----e, why didn't you warn us about (Gerald) O'Dell? He's worthless and now we're stuck with this dumbs---t. His ego is bigger than the pay raise he's making off of us. Thanks a lot!"
By the way, how's Shelley Vinegar doing?
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2016 05:12 PM by uiniu57.)
03-26-2016 05:12 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

Wait a minute.
Wasn't there some sort of issue with Ms. Vinegar in the last 6 months or so?

Apologies if I'm misremembering...
03-26-2016 05:21 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(03-26-2016 05:05 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  He did some good things here including building the Chessick Center and soccer/track complex and hiring Carey and Montgomery. Those are achievements anyone would be proud of. He also struggled with scheduling and is real uncomfortable with the interpersonal aspect of the job. I would say he's probably better suited to the associate AD position than the top job.

Beyond the timing, a lot of the schmoozing and leg work for the Chessick Center was done by others and Compher wasn't the driving force responsible for the soccer/track complex. Not saying they're right, but there are many on here who believe Jiff took the easy -- albeit smart for continuity -- route in promoting Carey. Their belief is that Comfy's limited contacts meant there was little effort put forth in truly seeing who was interested or could have been persuaded to take an Orange Bowl program higher. If not for the single worst schedule in NIU men's basketball history, it remains to be seen if Montgomery is more than just an average pick. Your last two statements are definitely spot on.
03-26-2016 09:02 PM
Advertisement

RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-26-2016 05:21 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Wait a minute.

Not sure what this means could you be more specific
03-26-2016 10:01 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Didn't university money pay for the track and field complex anyway?

No one here was upset that Jeff left NIU. Everyone felt that ECU did us a favor. He sold out our football program any moment he could get (i.e. We played Purdue and Minnesota twice on the road with no return games, he gave up our home game with Wisconsin for a neutral site game). Then instead of doing an actual coaching search he promotes a guy with mostly lower level assistant coaching experience (Carey) who would of had no shot of being a head coach at any other 1-A program. Oh, and because he was so terrible at scheduling we had two 1-for-1 series with Idaho.

So glad he is gone!
03-27-2016 06:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2016 10:01 PM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  
(03-26-2016 05:21 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Wait a minute.

Not sure what this means could you be more specific

I thought there was something. Here's the thread and a quote from post #16 an ECU poster.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-761687.html

Quote:The players are the only ones pissed. A Shelly Binger's name keeps coming up along with some crazy stories. The people telling me these stories are not those that would make up stuff. This could get wild in a few days. A letter was sent to the Chancellor, BOT, Coach Ruff, the WBB Coach, MBB coach, and others. Some want her state issued phone. Some of this is getting to tabloid news level and Cinamax movie material. The sad part is much is trending towards being true. And, seems to be in line with stories some of you told me back she was hired. Stay tuned.

Maybe someone from ECU can add to where this went.....
03-27-2016 11:10 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
The Compher-Binegar duo were never favorites of mine. They seemed to have problems relating to donors under the very top level.
03-27-2016 01:59 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I Root For: niu
Uniu57, you keep saying the NIU schedule was the worst in NIU history. That likely is false. This years schedule had NIU at 191 strength of schedule out of 351 teams. You are doing the republican trick of saying something that's not true over and over and eventually people will think it's true. Nobody said it was a good schedule but it's likely not the worst. Also, most Huskie fans seem very positive about Montgemory being the coach going forward, except for you.
03-27-2016 04:06 PM
Advertisement

HuskieTom51 Offline
2nd String

(03-27-2016 04:06 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  Uniu57, you keep saying the NIU schedule was the worst in NIU history. That likely is false. This years schedule had NIU at 191 strength of schedule out of 351 teams. You are doing the republican trick of saying something that's not true over and over and eventually people will think it's true. Nobody said it was a good schedule but it's likely not the worst. Also, most Huskie fans seem very positive about Montgemory being the coach going forward, except for you.

The proof will definitely be seen next season. We should have excellent guard play, both shooting and ball handling, as well as continued improvement by the current freshman class. Unless he gets hurt, Maric should be a force as well.
03-27-2016 04:57 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

The 1990-91 NIU Huskies were 25-6 the winningest team in school history. They played the 182 strength of schedule out of 295 teams. That means there was 113 teams that played a easier schedule. The 2015-16 Huskies are 21-12 tied for second winningest team in school history. They played the 191 strength of schedule out of 351 teams. That means there was 160 teams that played a easier schedule.
03-27-2016 10:00 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

It looks like 62% of teams in 1990-91 played a tougher schedule than NIU. It looks like 55% of teams in 2015-16 played a tougher schedule than NIU. I would say both schedules weren't that good.
03-27-2016 10:20 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
SOS aside, that 1990-91 Huskie team was good enough to get an at-large bid to the Dance. And, they gave St. John's a battle in the 1st round game in Dayton. The most frustrating thing about that season was losing to UWGB three times.

That Huskie team played hard every single game. LOVED watching them!
03-27-2016 10:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.