Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

All in with Tony, lets kick the door in!
Bookmark and Share
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
All in with Tony, lets kick the door in!
I don't get to follow the Tribe up close and personal, but I have suffered through the highs and lows since the early 80's with Tribe hoops. I know I have attended over 20 CAA/ECAC South tournaments over the years and I am glad that the Tribe is now competitive year in and year out.

Now it is time to take the final step.

I hope our AD and coach Shaver have had a conversation about what can be done to help make the final step, as Tony has said, "Kick in the door." By this I mean if we had more money, what would we spend it on. Then come up with a plan to get the cash.

Money can come from increased home ticket sales, more or better paying road games, or increased contributions.

To give an example of how unsophisticated we are, I have bought tournament tickets and occasional football tickets through the Tribe ticket office over the years. I have not received a Tribe Club solicitation in at least 10 years, and I have sent an occasional unsolicited check to them, one of which was never cashed. We should be able to do way better than that.

I think we can get it done, but we need to avoid any consideration of Tony's age/contract status from interfering. We should keep his contract extended to a length where it doesn't ever become an issue in recruiting. Whenever a coach gets in his 60s other schools will try and play the, "he might not be around for your four years game."

I won't bore you with the list of things other schools have done to up their programs, but I sure hope the Tribe administration doesn't let this opportunity slip through their fingers. The program is going in the right direction and we have a good coach, but he won't be around for forever.

Lets do it now.
03-21-2016 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
RE: All in with Tony, lets kick the door in!
http://www.tribeathletics.com/documents/...df?id=2819

Report of the
Committee on Competitive Excellence
April 7, 2015

1. Endowments for Scholarships
(Estimated Cost: $1.3 million per scholarship, $192 million to fully endow all scholarships)

2. A Multisport Practice Facility (Estimated Cost: $20 - $25 million)

3. William & Mary Hall 2.0
(Estimated Cost: $60 - $75 million for new construction, $22 - $28 million for renovation)

This has finally been done thanks to the leadership of BOV members Todd Stottlemyer & Pete Snyder.

W&M admin & coaches have taken each sport to see what is needed to be the best we can be.

So it is all there-now we need the $$$
03-21-2016 10:10 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

(03-21-2016 10:10 AM)wanm65 Wrote:  http://www.tribeathletics.com/documents/...df?id=2819

Report of the
Committee on Competitive Excellence
April 7, 2015

1. Endowments for Scholarships
(Estimated Cost: $1.3 million per scholarship, $192 million to fully endow all scholarships)

2. A Multisport Practice Facility (Estimated Cost: $20 - $25 million)

3. William & Mary Hall 2.0
(Estimated Cost: $60 - $75 million for new construction, $22 - $28 million for renovation)

This has finally been done thanks to the leadership of BOV members Todd Stottlemyer & Pete Snyder.

W&M admin & coaches have taken each sport to see what is needed to be the best we can be.

So it is all there-now we need the $$$

I appreciate the comprehensive approach, but.... I don't really care about the other sports. I am more interested in what can be done to help Men's basketball. I don't think there is enough money to do everything.

Oh well, I get all those silly "For the Bold" mailings. They don't interest me.

A targeted plan to push Men's hoops over the top has the potential to pay for itself, because Men's hoops can actually generate revenue.
03-21-2016 11:07 AM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

I appreciate the comprehensive approach, but.... I don't really care about the other sports. I am more interested in what can be done to help Men's basketball. I don't think there is enough money to do everything.

Oh well, I get all those silly "For the Bold" mailings. They don't interest me.

A targeted plan to push Men's hoops over the top has the potential to pay for itself, because Men's hoops can actually generate revenue.
[/quote]

A plan for men's BB is part of the plan04-cheers
03-21-2016 12:26 PM
BigTribe2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
NC Tribe--If you've had troubles with the Tribe Club giving money or haven't been able to get on their mailing list, call Bobby Dwyer at 757-221-3364.

I'm certain you won't have those problems any more.
03-21-2016 12:35 PM
Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tribe
NC--I'm at work and can't respond fully to this right now. I will have some particulars for you later. There are some real things we can do in the short term. I have been waiting for the right opportunity to pull this out. Tonight's the night.

And, I can't imagine why we aren't soliciting ticket buyers. That should be happening.
03-21-2016 01:15 PM
Advertisement

LeadBolt Offline
All American

I believe that if we were to solicit those who post on here and others we know to designate any gifts we may individually give on One Tribe Day in April for men's basketball it may be a good statement to the Athletic Department and could possibly start a ground swell.

I'll defer to Mrs. Got Ribe's post tonight. GO TRIBE!
03-21-2016 01:33 PM
Tribal Offline

Tribe Club asks me for money all the time. No one writes checks anymore...go to the Tribe Club link on Tribeathletics.com and make a contribution there. You can even set it up for autopay on a schedule that suits you.
03-21-2016 01:41 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Tribe Club asks for more money once you already donate. I dont believe they actively solicit donations from those who simply bought tickets, but they might send info emails about season tix etc.
03-21-2016 02:24 PM
Got Ribe Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-21-2016 08:32 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  I don't get to follow the Tribe up close and personal, but I have suffered through the highs and lows since the early 80's with Tribe hoops. I know I have attended over 20 CAA/ECAC South tournaments over the years and I am glad that the Tribe is now competitive year in and year out.

Now it is time to take the final step.

I hope our AD and coach Shaver have had a conversation about what can be done to help make the final step, as Tony has said, "Kick in the door." By this I mean if we had more money, what would we spend it on. Then come up with a plan to get the cash.

Money can come from increased home ticket sales, more or better paying road games, or increased contributions.

To give an example of how unsophisticated we are, I have bought tournament tickets and occasional football tickets through the Tribe ticket office over the years. I have not received a Tribe Club solicitation in at least 10 years, and I have sent an occasional unsolicited check to them, one of which was never cashed. We should be able to do way better than that.

I think we can get it done, but we need to avoid any consideration of Tony's age/contract status from interfering. We should keep his contract extended to a length where it doesn't ever become an issue in recruiting. Whenever a coach gets in his 60s other schools will try and play the, "he might not be around for your four years game."

I won't bore you with the list of things other schools have done to up their programs, but I sure hope the Tribe administration doesn't let this opportunity slip through their fingers. The program is going in the right direction and we have a good coach, but he won't be around for forever.

Lets do it now.

I definitely agree with this, and I wish you much luck in motivating the powers-that-be.

I don't often tell this story, because, while the incident sounds nefarious, it was actually pretty benign. But it fits here and it serves as a cautionary tale. A year or so ago, I sent in a check and directed that the proceeds be applied to basketball. But I did more than make a simple note; I wrote a few sentences saying that the check couldn't be used to supplant funding that was already in place. A general "for-basketball-only" restriction would theoretically allow the College to apply my $x to basketball and simultaneously reappropriate a different $x from basketball to another sport. I was hoping to help build some funds to kick in the door, as you suggest.

Anyway, my simple note led to months of negotiations. I was just shocked that my gift of $x restricted to the basketball program wouldn't necessarily mean that basketball expenditures would go up by $x. The athletic department, in turn, was greatly worried that accepting gifts like mine hampered their flexibility. They were concerned that accepting the funds might mean that they would be unable to fund something legally required for another sport. Eventually we worked out something that was at least mutually unsatisfying, but I kinda had to be a jerk about it, and that wasn't fun.

Now these aren't bad folks. I assume they want to win as much as I do. But there's much more caution than boldness in their DNA. So good luck.
03-21-2016 03:19 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Yeah, if you start giving, you will never feel alone.
I have, on my desk at present, letters from, Tribe Club, Friends of Baseball and College of William & Mary General Fund, all received in the last 2-3 weeks.
They DO know where you are.

"You love me. You really love me."
03-21-2016 03:23 PM
Advertisement

Touchdown Green and Gold Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
The football team has the Qb club to help supplement the program. Have we ever had a basketball club for the men's basketball team?
03-21-2016 03:53 PM
BigTribe2 Offline
Special Teams

Closest thing, I guess, are the Tony Luncheons held four times a season. Not at all the same as Tribe Club,
but the 75-100 folks that regularly attend are true Tribe basketball adherents.
03-21-2016 04:33 PM
62Indian Online
Special Teams

(03-21-2016 03:53 PM)Touchdown Green and Gold Wrote:  The football team has the Qb club to help supplement the program. Have we ever had a basketball club for the men's basketball team?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basketball used to have the "Fastbreak Club", which preceded the Tuesdays with Tony luncheons. Not sure what it did thou.
03-21-2016 04:45 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-21-2016 03:19 PM)Got Ribe Wrote:  I don't often tell this story, because, while the incident sounds nefarious, it was actually pretty benign. But it fits here and it serves as a cautionary tale. A year or so ago, I sent in a check and directed that the proceeds be applied to basketball. But I did more than make a simple note; I wrote a few sentences saying that the check couldn't be used to supplant funding that was already in place. A general "for-basketball-only" restriction would theoretically allow the College to apply my $x to basketball and simultaneously reappropriate a different $x from basketball to another sport. I was hoping to help build some funds to kick in the door, as you suggest.

Anyway, my simple note led to months of negotiations. I was just shocked that my gift of $x restricted to the basketball program wouldn't necessarily mean that basketball expenditures would go up by $x. The athletic department, in turn, was greatly worried that accepting gifts like mine hampered their flexibility. They were concerned that accepting the funds might mean that they would be unable to fund something legally required for another sport. Eventually we worked out something that was at least mutually unsatisfying, but I kinda had to be a jerk about it, and that wasn't fun.

Now these aren't bad folks. I assume they want to win as much as I do. But there's much more caution than boldness in their DNA. So good luck.

From their perspective, I'm sure they were trying to figure out how to take money for basketball and still fulfill all the requirements they had for how they have to allocate donations.
03-21-2016 06:20 PM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

I definitely agree with this, and I wish you much luck in motivating the powers-that-be.

I don't often tell this story, because, while the incident sounds nefarious, it was actually pretty benign. But it fits here and it serves as a cautionary tale. A year or so ago, I sent in a check and directed that the proceeds be applied to basketball. But I did more than make a simple note; I wrote a few sentences saying that the check couldn't be used to supplant funding that was already in place. A general "for-basketball-only" restriction would theoretically allow the College to apply my $x to basketball and simultaneously reappropriate a different $x from basketball to another sport. I was hoping to help build some funds to kick in the door, as you suggest.

[/quote]

This is just one of many, many reasons we need a new AD-one with leadership & management skills rather than glad handing & doing nothing of substance !!!
03-21-2016 08:32 PM
Advertisement

Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

In addition to the major goals set forth by the Committee on Competitive Excellence referenced by wanm65, the Athletic Department and coaches developed five-year goals for increased budgets for each sport. These one-sheets for each sport are well done and full of information. They show our budget compared to those of our peers in each sport. They highlight our successes. And they give a stated impact that the increased funding will have in each area. I know that they are being used to garner big donations, but I also think they are invaluable in communicating our goals, needs, and successes to all fans.

Men's basketball has a short-term goal of a $180,000 increase for this year: $20k for scholarships (summer school), $60k for operating equipment and team travel, $100k for coaches' salaries. This is then multiplied out over five years to show a $900k increase in the operating budget from 2015 to 2020.

Mark Boddy, Mark Batzel, and I are set to begin a fund raising campaign of our own to raise the $100k for summer school scholarships over the next five years. This is the kind of grass-roots, wide-net effort that can make a difference, exactly what NC Tribe was talking about. And if that is successful, we can move on to team travel or coaches' salaries. And then who knows, maybe we can raise the $25 million for the practice facility. I have seen the architect's drawings...and it is pretty damn sweet.

So, who is in? In addition to soliciting classmates, friends, and fans, I had planned on pitching it here too. My goal is to find 10 people who will give $1k a year for five years, 10 people who will give $500 a year for five years, and 50 people who can give $100 a year for five years. And if you can't do that, I'll take whatever you want to contribute for any length of time. Be a part of this. This may be the most important fund-raising we can do. It is what the coaches are asking for, what they feel we need to compete. [This has to be money above what you already donate to the Tribe Club so that it will actually result in an increase in the basketball budget.]

PM me or email me (kklitten@gmail.com) with any questions or if you are interested in contributing. We can do this and it will make a difference. And I like LeadBolt's idea about making the donations on OTOD. Imagine if we could fund summer school scholarships for the next five years with pledges given on one day.

GOT RIBE!
03-21-2016 09:13 PM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

Beyond the huge, intangible publicity we stand to gain when we finally dance, the tangible monetary gain is very real. Not sure what the CAA league payoff sharing arrangements are, but consider the cumulative revenue VCU's basketball team is generating, having gotten there 6 years in a row. This year's two games will be worth $2 mill total over the 6 year NCAA payout period, but, in this year alone (assuming the same $166,950 annual payout per unit that VCU gets to keep and this being the 6th payout year from their Final Four run and their current post season streak), they are getting a total payout of 14 units (rounds participated in during the 6 year stretch) X $166,950/unit, or $2.3373 mill !!! The rich get richer. We can talk regular season and concessions revenue, but the real money is in making the NCAA post season. There's a major reward here, folks. That's not to distract from your plausible proposal, Mrs. Got Ribe, because it's got to start somewhere to get us there.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/s...408de.html
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2016 09:29 PM by Tribeheart.)
03-21-2016 09:13 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I appreciate all the responses to my questions and am glad the Mrs. Got Ribe and others are already working in the area I was suggesting. I am convinced that the position that Coach Shaver has the program in now coupled with the current make-up of the CAA and all the coaching changes puts the Tribe in a solid position to take the next step. I know some people on this board still want to talk about how many games Tony's teams have lost over the years, but even a Shaver critic has to accept that the program is in much better shape from a recruiting stand point than it was a decade ago and our competitive landscape in the league, while not easy, isn't quite as tough as it was before.

I've been going to Davidson games since 1998 and was a member of the Fast Break Club for Davidson hoops. I've seen the program grow and move to the A-10. Now the Fast Break club got swallowed up by the Davidson Athletic Fund and club dues went from $300 per season for an individual to $1,000. They don't need me anymore if everyone else is paying $1,000, so I am out.

McKillop didn't take the Cats dancing until year 10 and they didn't go back until years 14 & 18, and then Curry showed up and you know the rest.

I like the trajectory the Tribe is on. With everyone's help, the Tribe can do it.
03-22-2016 08:25 AM
Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

(03-21-2016 09:13 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Beyond the huge, intangible publicity we stand to gain when we finally dance, the tangible monetary gain is very real. Not sure what the CAA league payoff sharing arrangements are, but consider the cumulative revenue VCU's basketball team is generating, having gotten there 6 years in a row. This year's two games will be worth $2 mill total over the 6 year NCAA payout period, but, in this year alone (assuming the same $166,950 annual payout per unit that VCU gets to keep and this being the 6th payout year from their Final Four run and their current post season streak), they are getting a total payout of 14 units (rounds participated in during the 6 year stretch) X $166,950/unit, or $2.3373 mill !!! The rich get richer. We can talk regular season and concessions revenue, but the real money is in making the NCAA post season. There's a major reward here, folks. That's not to distract from your plausible proposal, Mrs. Got Ribe, because it's got to start somewhere to get us there.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/s...408de.html

There is a lot of truth here--get to the NCAA tournament and get a lot of money. We received units for both GMU's and VCU's runs. Unfortunately, the CAA allocated those units based on standings and we were near the bottom of the pack those years. Even more unfortunate, though, is that the money we did receive was not earmarked for basketball. It was put into our overall operating budget.

We fans and supporters need to keep fighting the fight that putting our resources into basketball is a win for the entire athletic department and The College. Any movement in this area, any change to the status quo will have to come from an outside push. It was not until the football playoff game in 2004, when temporary lights were carted in by ESPN, that mindsets started changing about what Tribe football could be. The light discussion had been going on for years before then, with no movement. After the lights, came the Laycock Center...momentum at work.

Like many of you have said, the basketball team is at the brink. We have momentum and we can't let it die (see W&M basketball circa late 80's early 90's). I was optimistic that the committee we formed a few years back would help turn the tide. It has been a very slow process and the only real change is the Gold Rush game. We have a lot more ideas...really good ideas...but they have not been well-received. I even hoped that the crazy success of the Gold Rush games would help. But now, instead of being a committee for the future of Tribe Basketball, we are the Gold Rush committee.

Does this stop me? Nope. I am now dedicated to get our coaches what they say they need to be successful. It starts with summer school funding. By funding summer school, it allows us to compete with all the other schools that already offer year round scholarships for their athletes. By attending summer school, our players can practice together in the summer--like every other school in the conference does--and reduce their spring/fall class loads.
03-22-2016 09:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.