Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football policy change for 2016
Bookmark and Share
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Received my seat selection letter today. Very excited.

Read the information. No re-entry in 2016.

This should go over well. Nothing like throwing cold water on what should be an exciting time.
03-19-2016 05:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Football policy change for 2016
So that won't affect me personally at all but wow that's huge

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
03-19-2016 05:59 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Time to bring back that biergarten conversation pronto!!!
03-19-2016 06:48 PM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

what is the purpose of this rule?

were there problems under the old rule?
03-19-2016 06:50 PM
Tribal Offline

Folks in the QB Club Lot are going to riot.
03-19-2016 07:25 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
I know this matches the playoff rules now - no idea if that played a role.
03-19-2016 07:51 PM
Advertisement

62Indian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
I don't know why anybody would want to leave the stadium at halftime - who would want to miss the exciting halftime events - which are?????
03-19-2016 09:15 PM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

(03-19-2016 09:15 PM)62Indian Wrote:  I don't know why anybody would want to leave the stadium at halftime - who would want to miss the exciting halftime events - which are?????

Dogs catching frisbees 03-zzz
03-19-2016 09:46 PM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
In general the purpose of such rules could be defined as "enhanced concession revenues through hostage taking."

But I assume some excuse about safety and security will be trotted out for show.
03-20-2016 06:26 AM
Wilfus93 Offline
Water Engineer

Reasoning provided: In order to provide a safe environment for our fans and to adhere to regulations set forth by the Department of Homeland Security for events of similar magnitude, campus safety administrators have decided to prohibit re-entering the football stadium once you have already entered a home football game. This decision is consistent with other NCAA Division 1 institutions in the state and nationwide.

My plan for dealing with this change in policy--For most home games, I will listen to Jay Colley on the radio and enter the stadium after half-time.
03-20-2016 06:53 AM
BigTribe2 Offline
Special Teams

UVA, Richmond, Va Tech and JMU all do not allow re-entry...all instituted within last six years We are last major Div I program to institute this rule. Major reason all have gone to this is because of having to reinspect everyone coming back into stadium re terrorism fears. Having ticket stub is no answer...your stub may have ended up in hands of bad guy.

All this explained last week by Dwyer to large group of potential ticket holders looking at new parking facilities. They are opening lots two hours earlier for tail gators.

Dwyer also noted that greatly enhanced food opportunities will be available inside stadium and that there will be lots of new bathroom facilities inside Zable (one of main reasons many people left and re-entered
(many people refused to use ancient facilities, especially the ladies).

Nobody likes it, but we live in a world of threats from bad guys and I guess that's it. It's an inconvenience
but I can live with it easily.
03-20-2016 07:11 AM
Advertisement

Tribe4SF Online
1st String

This won't be popular, but likely isn't going to be reversed. My guess is it will increase late arrivals, and early departures.

A major aspect of the new facilities to be tested in my mind is the capacity of new bathrooms. Richmond gets an F for this in their venue. If you've ever tried to take a leak there anywhere near halftime you know what I mean. I fear we face a similar fate.
03-20-2016 07:59 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-20-2016 07:11 AM)BigTribe2 Wrote:  We are last major Div I program to institute this rule. Major reason all have gone to this is because of having to reinspect everyone coming back into stadium re terrorism fears. Having ticket stub is no answer...your stub may have ended up in hands of bad guy.

Amending "major reason" to "major reason given". The applicable phrase here is security theater.

(03-20-2016 07:11 AM)BigTribe2 Wrote:  All this explained last week by Dwyer to large group of potential ticket holders looking at new parking facilities. They are opening lots two hours earlier for tail gators.

This solves a non-existent problem. The issue is not "total time available for tailgating".

(03-20-2016 07:11 AM)BigTribe2 Wrote:  Dwyer also noted that greatly enhanced food opportunities will be available inside stadium and that there will be lots of new bathroom facilities inside Zable (one of main reasons many people left and re-entered (many people refused to use ancient facilities, especially the ladies).

Nobody likes it, but we live in a world of threats from bad guys and I guess that's it. It's an inconvenience but I can live with it easily.

Yes, thank goodness for these draconian policies that have thwarted innumerable terrorist attacks on our nation's FCS football games. Those bag checkers found about 18 guns/bombs/suspicious packages every day, I think.

I am to assume this means no going to the University Center at halftime, too? Will there be televisions nearby the "greatly enhanced food opportunities" for watching other games? This policy is going to negatively affect season ticket purchases. Maybe not the first year, because people won't realize it until they get to the first game, but it will have an effect on renewals.
03-20-2016 08:07 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Having attended other away games that impose this rule, their fans have found that you buy up some cheap tickets and use those tickets to enter a second time after halftime. Bottom line is you attendance soars like the eagle!
03-20-2016 08:07 AM
tribe_pride Online
1st String

Do students now need tickets or can they still just get in with their IDs? If IDs assume they'll be able to leave and come back.
03-20-2016 08:13 AM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(03-20-2016 08:07 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(03-20-2016 07:11 AM)BigTribe2 Wrote:  We are last major Div I program to institute this rule. Major reason all have gone to this is because of having to reinspect everyone coming back into stadium re terrorism fears. Having ticket stub is no answer...your stub may have ended up in hands of bad guy.

Amending "major reason" to "major reason given". The applicable phrase here is security theater.

(03-20-2016 07:11 AM)BigTribe2 Wrote:  All this explained last week by Dwyer to large group of potential ticket holders looking at new parking facilities. They are opening lots two hours earlier for tail gators.

This solves a non-existent problem. The issue is not "total time available for tailgating".

(03-20-2016 07:11 AM)BigTribe2 Wrote:  Dwyer also noted that greatly enhanced food opportunities will be available inside stadium and that there will be lots of new bathroom facilities inside Zable (one of main reasons many people left and re-entered (many people refused to use ancient facilities, especially the ladies).

Nobody likes it, but we live in a world of threats from bad guys and I guess that's it. It's an inconvenience but I can live with it easily.

Yes, thank goodness for these draconian policies that have thwarted innumerable terrorist attacks on our nation's FCS football games. Those bag checkers found about 18 guns/bombs/suspicious packages every day, I think.

I am to assume this means no going to the University Center at halftime, too? Will there be televisions nearby the "greatly enhanced food opportunities" for watching other games? This policy is going to negatively affect season ticket purchases. Maybe not the first year, because people won't realize it until they get to the first game, but it will have an effect on renewals.

Agree. Ten or fifteen years ago this would have really chafed me, but I guess I can deal with it. Comment about the Center is spot on, if access there is denied, it is a big deal. We better have MUCH better F&B options now. If there are restroom issues, the ladies are going to drag their heels when it comes to making the games.

I have lots of memories of UVA and UR games where the areas were full of fans "celebrating" outside, and these folks never set foot inside the stadium. I hope we do not see this result.
03-20-2016 08:17 AM
Advertisement

Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

(03-19-2016 07:25 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Folks in the QB Club Lot are going to riot.

We going to burn a sofa in protest....

Do not understand the logic of ending this since there has not been any problems associated with half time tailgating. Yes, sometimes there are fans who do not come back in or are in the stadium when the second half begins, but no drunked incidents.
It could be someone believes there will be more concessions sold if fans cannot go out and munch at halftime .
Looks like it will be time to find the flask that looked like binoculars .
03-20-2016 01:32 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(03-20-2016 01:32 PM)Tribe Fan Wrote:  It could be someone believes there will be more concessions sold if fans cannot go out and munch at halftime .

Bingo. But if they said that they'd sound greedy, so they frame it in terms of security.
03-20-2016 02:01 PM
Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tribe
This was presented and discussed at our last Tribe Club board meeting. The policy came about as a result of the strong recommendation from the new W&M chief of police. She was adamant that the safest security assurances include a no re-entry policy.

The administration understands that leaving at halftime is part of our fan culture, but they took the police chief's recommendations seriously.

The upside is that it gives those of us pushing for better game day experiences more ammunition for a beer garden.
03-20-2016 02:19 PM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(03-20-2016 02:19 PM)Mrs. Got Ribe Wrote:  The upside is that it gives those of us pushing for better game day experiences more ammunition for a beer garden.

I'm all for the beer garden idea, but having tasted the popcorn at the Kap, I sort of envision paying $12 for a 7 oz. cup of stale Bud Light.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2016 06:51 PM by Blow Gym rat.)
03-20-2016 03:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.