Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2016-2017 Men's Basketball
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
2016-2017 Men's Basketball
Looking ahead to 2016-2017 -

At guard, we return Kellon Thomas, Deon Edwin, and Jaylin Walker. Xavier Pollard and Galal Cancer graduate (or use up their eligibility as the case may be). Des Ridenour takes off the redshirt, and hopefully replaces one of them.

Jalen Avery hopefully steps up too, and grabs more minutes. We have Mitch Peterson signed, I'm hopeful Yavari Hall signs, and maybe Rosel Hurley develops.

I'd expect Thomas, Edwin, Walker, and Ridenour to be the main rotation at guard. Avery had huge numbers in high school, Hall was solid in high school, it would be good if one of them surprise and produce next season, but they might need to look ahead to the next year.

I kind of look at Mitch Peterson as a recruit the same way I looked at Jaylin Walker - 2nd billing, Jaylin behind Jalen, and Peterson behind Yavari, but Jaylin was the one who filled a need and found the floor more.

At forward, we lose Chris Ortiz and Khaliq Spicer. Jimmy Hall returns at one inside position. At the other, it looks like a mix of Raasean Davis, Marvin Jones, and possibly signee Danny Pippen. Pippen might need to add some muscle to be effective inside, he's reported at '6 "8 175. From what I've seen, of Jones and Davis, I'd expect Davis to play more.

At small forward, we have Alonzo Walker, who redshirted this year, and Devon Andrews, who was enrolled but not officially on the team. Andrews may be the wild card, and he had big numbers in high school.

Based on available talent, in 2014-2015 we played mostly 3 guards, and in 2015-2016 we played mostly 3 forwards. In 2016-2017, that swing position will be the wild card. There's a lot of potential, but nothing that's been proven. One of Andrews, Yavari Hall, Alonzo Walker, Peterson, or Hurley might excel there, or Jaylin Avery might play a lot at PG and pushes J-Walker there. If one of these guys have a strong MAC season, we might be cutting the nets again.

Predictions - Jimmy Hall, 1st team MAC, Kellon Thomas, 3rd team MAC. Most likely to be on the freshmen-of-the-year team: Devon Andrews
03-14-2016 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1st String

RE: 2016-2017 Men's Basketball
Of course, one recruit usually doesn't get on campus, and one current player gets Earvin Morrissed out. I'm hoping that Senderhoff manages to find space for a widebody center JUCO on next year's team.
03-14-2016 08:33 AM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
What are the reports on how Ridenour and Walker have done in practice. Are they potentiall all MAC players or just pieces?
03-15-2016 08:12 AM
1st String

(03-14-2016 08:33 AM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  Of course, one recruit usually doesn't get on campus, and one current player gets Earvin Morrissed out. I'm hoping that Senderhoff manages to find space for a widebody center JUCO on next year's team.

a 'widebody center' like maybe 7'0" 332 Adonis Delarosa, a JUCO who just got a Kent State offer
03-18-2016 07:47 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(03-18-2016 07:47 AM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 08:33 AM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  Of course, one recruit usually doesn't get on campus, and one current player gets Earvin Morrissed out. I'm hoping that Senderhoff manages to find space for a widebody center JUCO on next year's team.

a 'widebody center' like maybe 7'0" 332 Adonis Delarosa, a JUCO who just got a Kent State offer

More like 6-10, 280 ... three years left ...
03-18-2016 08:37 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Gary Akbar, Melvin Tabb, Antonio DiMaria, Greg Avila, De'Andre Nealy, Patrick Jackson....

But who knows, maybe you get a Frank Henry Ala out of the deal. I could live with that. Heck, a Justin Manns would be better than nothing.
03-18-2016 11:41 AM
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

(03-18-2016 11:41 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  Gary Akbar, Melvin Tabb, Antonio DiMaria, Greg Avila, De'Andre Nealy, Patrick Jackson....

But who knows, maybe you get a Frank Henry Ala out of the deal. I could live with that. Heck, a Justin Manns would be better than nothing.

Delarosa was a redshirt one year at St. John's before coaching change ... was a solid HM recruit out of HS, probably for his size/girth. Avg. 12/8 in junior college. Has three years left.

Folks better understand college basketball, 2016. Polyanna doesn't live around here. Transfers are key to success. Look at Buffalo/OU/Ball State just to name three.

Four-year guys are nice, but do you want four more years of what just left ... or something better. Delarosa might be a bust ... but right now a decent backup for Davis and perhaps more than that.

You embrace the fact some of Kent's best players have been transfers from Demetric Shaw on down to Jimmy Hall. Four year players are nice for stability, but to stay with the front of the pack, transfers are key.
03-18-2016 12:10 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

No doubt about it, cleveland. And I think most Kent State fans are well aware of it. I also think most Kent fans can't help but giggle when we here about some of these "big time gets" or "major coups."

It is frustrating when some of these "high major" guys come to Kent and suck up playing time with limited production while polyanna sits on the bench for his freshman and sophomore season. Of course, that is the risk you have to take because god knows recruiting players like Johnson, Jackson, McAdams, Kretzer, Cheatham, Robotham and Williams is nearly impossible for a mid major from northeast ohio.
03-18-2016 12:19 PM
anti-zip Online
All American

I Root For: kent state!
So if we're actively recruiting for next year who is leaving or isn't coming? We're one over the limit on scholarships at this point.
03-18-2016 04:49 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
(03-18-2016 04:49 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  So if we're actively recruiting for next year who is leaving or isn't coming? We're one over the limit on scholarships at this point.

If you have a chance at a good talent, you find a way. it happens every day.
03-18-2016 09:21 PM
anti-zip Online
All American

(03-18-2016 09:21 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  
(03-18-2016 04:49 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  So if we're actively recruiting for next year who is leaving or isn't coming? We're one over the limit on scholarships at this point.

I know, we'd have to have two guys leave though. That's a little tougher. Also, you don't want to get the reputation for chasing off players or it could hurt in recruiting.

De LaRosa is an interesting player for sure. Looks like he played for the same HS as Chris Ortiz, Christ the King in NY.
03-18-2016 10:21 PM
Advertisement

1st String

(03-18-2016 11:41 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  Gary Akbar, Melvin Tabb, Antonio DiMaria, Greg Avila, De'Andre Nealy, Patrick Jackson....

Chris Evans?
03-19-2016 07:48 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(03-18-2016 10:21 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  
(03-18-2016 09:21 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  

I know, we'd have to have two guys leave though. That's a little tougher. Also, you don't want to get the reputation for chasing off players or it could hurt in recruiting.

De LaRosa is an interesting player for sure. Looks like he played for the same HS as Chris Ortiz, Christ the King in NY.

Only signed two in the fall ... four seniors are leaving???
03-19-2016 07:58 AM
1st String

2 others of note:
Yavari Hall gave his verbal commit, and is referenced in Cleveland papers as a 'Kent State commit' but didn't sign in November. He's pretty highly rated

Devon Andrews was a signee last year but didn't qualify and had legal issues. He's been around the team this year, and I'd expect if he gets his life in order, he might be on the team next year. He also threw up big numbers in high school

And that's with having 15 students on the roster where we have 13 scholarships to hand out. Only Jon Fleming is listed as a walk-on. Does anyone know - can Basketball give out partial scholarships like Baseball does?
03-19-2016 12:51 PM
anti-zip Online
All American

(03-19-2016 12:51 PM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  2 others of note:
Yavari Hall gave his verbal commit, and is referenced in Cleveland papers as a 'Kent State commit' but didn't sign in November. He's pretty highly rated

Devon Andrews was a signee last year but didn't qualify and had legal issues. He's been around the team this year, and I'd expect if he gets his life in order, he might be on the team next year. He also threw up big numbers in high school

And that's with having 15 students on the roster where we have 13 scholarships to hand out. Only Jon Fleming is listed as a walk-on. Does anyone know - can Basketball give out partial scholarships like Baseball does?

Yes, those two, the two that signed, and Ridenour. I'm not sure if he's on scholarship or not. The fact that he transferred in from an A10 school after being a highly regarded recruit I assume if he wasn't on scholarship this year that it came with a promise for one next year. But I don't really know.
03-19-2016 04:21 PM
dlFLASH Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: KENT STATE
(03-19-2016 12:51 PM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  2 others of note:

Division I basketball, like FBS football, cannot give out partial scholarships. It's all or nothing. Now that's not to say a student athlete can't be eligible for academic scholarships however those scholarships aren't always as loaded as an athletic one (meals, housing, etc.)
03-20-2016 09:53 AM
Advertisement

fallsdog Offline
All American

Don't much about scholarships, don't know much about recruiting trips...

But I do have some thoughts on a few of the newcomers:

If Andrews has it together and is ready to play basketball at Kent State, you could be looking at an impact player next season and a potential 2 or 3 time all mac honoree.

Its tough to envision Mitch Peterson being ready to play big minutes next season. He strikes me as a player who will need a year or two to adjust to the day in and day out athleticism of Division One basketball.
03-20-2016 01:27 PM
bball4me Offline
2nd String

Although it was an all-star game, Peterson likes to shoot. According to someone who saw the game, he was beaten many times by a player from Akron Firestone. He shot mostly spot ups and didn't score off the dribble. They also question how well he will be able to get off a shot when defense is played. He did get MVP of the game.
03-20-2016 03:28 PM
GoFlashes7 Offline
1st String

Elton Alexander wrote a nice article on KSU Men's Basketball in the Cleveland Plain Dealer - http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/...iver_index

No mention of Yavari Hall, Marvin Jones, Des Ridenour, & Jalen Avery in the article.

Not sure how this whole roster situation shakes out, but here are the returning players and incoming players:

Forwards/Centers =
-Jimmy Hall, Redshirt SR
-Rasean Davis, JR
-Marvin Jones, Redshirt SR
-Danny Pippen, FR
-Alonzo Walker, Redshirt FR
-Adonis De La Rosa, Redshirt SOPH (not sure on this)

Guards =
-Kellon Thomas, Redshirt SR
-Deon Edwin, SR
-Jalen Avery, Soph
-Jaylin Walker, Soph
-Rosel Hurley, Redshirt FR
-Devon Andrews, FR
-Des Ridenour, Redshirt JR
-Mitch Peterson, FR
-Yavari Hall, FR ?

Any truth to the rumor that KSU93 brought up of AJ Harris from Ohio St transferring to Kent State?

Here is the link to Verbal Commits, Kent State team page: http://verbalcommits.com/schools/kent-state

It shows that Senderoff/staff have secured their 1st recruit of the 2017 recruiting class, BJ Duling. Here is his player page from Verbal Commits = http://verbalcommits.com/players/b-j-duling
03-29-2016 11:54 PM
GoFlashes7 Offline
1st String

I just found an article from http://www.espn.com, regarding Ohio State and (4) of their players transferring out of Columbus = http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...-team-week

1 of them is AJ Harris and the others are Mickey Mitchell (played HS basketball in TX), Austin Grandstaff (transferred to Oklahoma), Daniel Giddens (wants to play closer to his GA home/family).

AJ Harris is a 5'9" 165lbs PG from Dayton OH (Dunbar HS) and he played in all 35 games for OSU, starting 4 of them. He has already been removed from the Ohio State mens basketball roster.
03-30-2016 12:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.