Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Matt Brady fired
Bookmark and Share
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
Matt Brady fired
Such a shame, the last thing he saw was the bottom of W&M's boot.
03-14-2016 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zablenoise Online
Heisman

RE: Matt Brady fired
Ha! I wonder who they replace him with. I never thought Brady was much of a coach anyway

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
03-14-2016 08:17 AM
wml33t Online
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
Matt Brady fired
I do have to wonder if this signals the unrealistic expectations of the JMU fan base. Was Brady the best coach in the world? No. But he came in to a terrible team and made them a top 1/3 team in the league and went to an NCAA tourney. I'm not sure who they get to replace him.. Seems like it would be a hunt for lightning in a bottle
03-14-2016 08:43 AM
Got Ribe Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: W&M
(03-14-2016 08:43 AM)wml33t Wrote:  I do have to wonder if this signals the unrealistic expectations of the JMU fan base. Was Brady the best coach in the world? No. But he came in to a terrible team and made them a top 1/3 team in the league and went to an NCAA tourney. I'm not sure who they get to replace him.. Seems like it would be a hunt for lightning in a bottle

There's certainly some of that, but there's also a simple reality: If people don't like you very much, you get a shorter leash. Brady was always seen as standoffish, and as much as it seems like a small thing, he lived an hour away, on the east side of the mountains. Thus he never developed much support in the community or on campus.

A more liked guy would Brady's record would have been retained, I think.
03-14-2016 08:57 AM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(03-14-2016 08:43 AM)wml33t Wrote:  I do have to wonder if this signals the unrealistic expectations of the JMU fan base. Was Brady the best coach in the world? No. But he came in to a terrible team and made them a top 1/3 team in the league and went to an NCAA tourney. I'm not sure who they get to replace him.. Seems like it would be a hunt for lightning in a bottle

Blaine Taylor? Lefty Driesell? Mickey Matthews?
03-14-2016 09:06 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

The thread on the JMU site speculating on a new hire is entertaining. Reading through it, there doesn't appear to a candidate who is well known by their fans with an inside edge. Brett Reed of Lehigh seems to be the best idea they are bandying about.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016 09:12 AM by LeadBolt.)
03-14-2016 09:08 AM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I don't know about the x and o part of the equation, but he's certainly had some players with discipline issues. I wonder if that was part of it.

From what I saw, they just didn't have a lot of talent either. They were very ugly on offense. Defense is the only reason they had a good year.
03-14-2016 09:48 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
67-73 CAA record.

5-7 in the CAA Tournament.

The Administration is terrible, and did him no favors. But this decision boxes them into a corner. If they don't nail this next hire, heads will roll. Handing him a 3-year extension would have just kept the status quo for a few more years.
03-14-2016 09:56 AM
Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tribe
Totally agree with Mr. Ribe--he is not seen as part of the community around here. I also think the discipline issues and the player attrition hurt him. Many of his players left the team...or were arrested...or were suspended from the team...or some combination of the three. Okay, I'm headed over to the JMU board for my daily entertainment.
03-14-2016 10:02 AM
wanm65 Online
Special Teams

If you are not liked by the powers that be then your time is limited.

Look at KC Keller at UD. He won an FCS national championship & they still fired him.
03-14-2016 10:54 AM
BigTribe2 Offline
Special Teams

Tony pretty much had his number in recent years...thus, sorry to see him go.
03-14-2016 12:11 PM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Just another comment about the players and discipline. I think very highly of JMU from an academic perspective. I've hired many of their business school students and get close to 100% success in the long run with them. The level of people is top notch from a smarts, ethics, etc. perspective.

Having a bunch of players with on and off the court problems is a black eye on the overall student body and school.
03-14-2016 01:20 PM
Tribal Offline

Re: RE: Matt Brady fired
(03-14-2016 01:20 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Just another comment about the players and discipline. I think very highly of JMU from an academic perspective. I've hired many of their business school students and get close to 100% success in the long run with them. The level of people is top notch from a smarts, ethics, etc. perspective.

You have no idea how much I want to ban you for this post. I was already tilted after reading that the Ribes are in full agreement and then you hit me with this. I really just need to back away from the cpu right now and walk it off.
03-14-2016 01:44 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(03-14-2016 01:20 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Just another comment about the players and discipline. I think very highly of JMU from an academic perspective. I've hired many of their business school students and get close to 100% success in the long run with them. The level of people is top notch from a smarts, ethics, etc. perspective.

Having a bunch of players with on and off the court problems is a black eye on the overall student body and school.

This just goes to show you how far America has fallen... 03-phew
03-14-2016 01:56 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
JMU is currently discussing rumors that Radford's coach is the favorite. They also are in favor of moving Women's coach Kenny Brooks to the Men's side.
03-14-2016 02:09 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(03-14-2016 01:56 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  

If only we could find someone to make it great again... 05-stirthepot
03-14-2016 02:16 PM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Brady was a consistently bad game coach who seemed to get less out of his players than their talent level indicated. The last game of the regular season aside, JMU has not been a significant opponent for us in basketball.
03-14-2016 08:08 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(03-14-2016 02:16 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 01:56 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  

If only we could find someone to make it great again... 05-stirthepot

That would be Yuuuuge!
03-14-2016 08:54 PM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I also always had a lot of success with JMU graduates, frankly more than with W&M grads. Our IT shop was ultimately more plug and play and people skills (and drive) were always at a premium.

I have never understood why some schools have athletic programs that don't always reflect well on the school. I would have thought that some of the folks that Brady brought in (and Mickey Matthews as well) would have resulted in an earlier termination for both.

I think JMU is classier that the image their higher profile athletic teams project.
03-14-2016 08:59 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(03-14-2016 08:59 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I also always had a lot of success with JMU graduates, frankly more than with W&M grads. Our IT shop was ultimately more plug and play and people skills (and drive) were always at a premium.

I have never understood why some schools have athletic programs that don't always reflect well on the school. I would have thought that some of the folks that Brady brought in (and Mickey Matthews as well) would have resulted in an earlier termination for both.

I think JMU is classier that the image their higher profile athletic teams project.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I certainly would hope that JMU is classier than the JMU posters on CSNBBS would lead us to believe.
03-14-2016 09:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.