Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Free Money
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Free Money
The entitled will just love this. Canada to experiment with just giving people free money, no strings attached. Can you imagine how this would go over in the US? Since the gov't isn't interested in waste, I'd imagine new taxes would have to pay for a similar gimmick

Canada plans to experiment with giving people unconditional free money

snippet:
Quote:Ontario's government announced in February that a pilot program will be coming to the Canadian province sometime later this year.

The premise: Send people monthly checks to cover living expenses such as food, transportation, clothing, and utilities — no questions asked.
03-08-2016 09:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: Free Money
The economy would skyrocket.
03-08-2016 09:56 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
While one knee-jerk reaction is to argue that free money creates a lazy working class, research suggests the opposite is true. Supported by the financial safety net, people in one 2013 study actually worked 17% longer hours and received 38% higher earnings when basic income was given a shot.

They just proved the knee-jerk reaction true. Noone is saying that those people already busting their asses would suddenly get lazy over another $900 per month. What we are saying is that those dumbf*cks sitting on their couches not working will embed themselves further into the couch, onthe backs of the people who are actually working.

Also, because taxes likely went up to pay for this, those working probably had to work 17% more just to break even.
03-08-2016 10:00 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(03-08-2016 09:56 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  The economy would skyrocket.

Please explain exactly how. Don't say the extra money would be used to buy stuff because that is in direct contradiction to what the free money is intended.
03-08-2016 10:05 AM
pharaoh0 Offline
Triggered by Microaggressions

I Root For: Duke, L'ville
This is just income redistribution put on the shoulders of the productive members of society. We already do it to a lesser extent, it is called the EIC.
03-08-2016 11:34 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(03-08-2016 10:05 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

Please explain exactly how. Don't say the extra money would be used to buy stuff because that is in direct contradiction to what the free money is intended.

you are wasting your time trying to get him to answer, you know he will just dance around your question
03-08-2016 11:37 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog

We will find out. Where does the money come from BTW?
03-08-2016 11:37 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Equality

[Image: canadian-money.jpg]

=

[Image: monopoly_money_100.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 11:53 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
03-08-2016 11:53 AM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(03-08-2016 10:00 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  While one knee-jerk reaction is to argue that free money creates a lazy working class, research suggests the opposite is true. Supported by the financial safety net, people in one 2013 study actually worked 17% longer hours and received 38% higher earnings when basic income was given a shot.

They just proved the knee-jerk reaction true. Noone is saying that those people already busting their asses would suddenly get lazy over another $900 per month. What we are saying is that those dumbf*cks sitting on their couches not working will embed themselves further into the couch, onthe backs of the people who are actually working.

Also, because taxes likely went up to pay for this, those working probably had to work 17% more just to break even.

Looks like those working account for more than 70 percent of Americans who receive public benefits.

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/the-high...low-wages/
03-08-2016 12:07 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(03-08-2016 12:07 PM)gsu95 Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 10:00 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  While one knee-jerk reaction is to argue that free money creates a lazy working class, research suggests the opposite is true. Supported by the financial safety net, people in one 2013 study actually worked 17% longer hours and received 38% higher earnings when basic income was given a shot.

Looks like those working account for more than 70 percent of Americans who receive public benefits.

I'm all for those working keeping more of their money. You aint giving them sh*t. Its THEIR money.

I'm all against handing out THEIR money to people who will not work.

So since you believe this is a good idea, clearly you believe that taxes on working people should go DOWN.
03-08-2016 12:14 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Why not?

I mean, the Gods at the fed have told us we're on a deflationary spiral, and who are we to question them?

Start handing out lots of money to struggling people to get the economy going.
03-08-2016 12:26 PM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

(03-08-2016 12:26 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Why not?

I mean, the Gods at the fed have told us we're on a deflationary spiral, and who are we to question them?

Start handing out lots of money to struggling people to get the economy going.

Wut?
03-08-2016 12:27 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I think there is an honest conversation to be had surrounding the value of government provided benefits, and the myriad of bureaucracies, administrators, waste, and fraud versus just giving people the damn cash.

Reduces government? Check!
Encourages people to make their own decisions? Check!
03-08-2016 12:31 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(03-08-2016 12:31 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I think there is an honest conversation to be had surrounding the value of government provided benefits, and the myriad of bureaucracies, administrators, waste, and fraud versus just giving people the damn cash.

I think it's humorous the govt's think people will use the extra cash to pay bills.
03-08-2016 12:48 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(03-08-2016 12:31 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I think there is an honest conversation to be had surrounding the value of government provided benefits, and the myriad of bureaucracies, administrators, waste, and fraud versus just giving people the damn cash.

Fair point.

If you want to do this in lieu of welfare, food stamps, obama phones, section 8, ....

Then I would be interested in seeing a value comparison.
03-08-2016 12:50 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:

From the report:

We define working families as those that have at least one family member who works 27 or more weeks per year and 10 or more hours per week.

I've got a huge problem with that definition. One person working a minimum of 270 hours in a year?
03-08-2016 01:00 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(03-08-2016 01:00 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  

From the report:

We define working families as those that have at least one family member who works 27 or more weeks per year and 10 or more hours per week.

I've got a huge problem with that definition. One person working a minimum of 270 hours in a year?

27 weeks is 1/2 a year.
10 hours is 1/4 a normal work week.

So they define working families as someone who works 1/4 of the time for 1/2 of the year. Most of us cover that amount of working time in 6 1/2 weeks.
03-08-2016 01:10 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I like money... I keep it on a jar on top of my refrigerator...
03-08-2016 01:10 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(03-08-2016 09:53 AM)VA49er Wrote:  The entitled will just love this. Canada to experiment with just giving people free money, no strings attached. Can you imagine how this would go over in the US? Since the gov't isn't interested in waste, I'd imagine new taxes would have to pay for a similar gimmick

Canada plans to experiment with giving people unconditional free money

snippet:
Quote:Ontario's government announced in February that a pilot program will be coming to the Canadian province sometime later this year.

The premise: Send people monthly checks to cover living expenses such as food, transportation, clothing, and utilities — no questions asked.

As soon as You picked up Your Free Money, Some Jerk that didn't want to wait in line for it or felt entitled to much more would just Rob You at gunpoint.
03-08-2016 01:33 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(03-08-2016 12:48 PM)VA49er Wrote:  

I think it's humorous the govt's think people will use the extra cash to pay bills.

Perhaps the beauty of providing cash the recipient is that it absolves the government of any responsibility on whether or not the people pay their bills?
03-08-2016 02:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.