Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia State Too Good For the Sunbelt........
Bookmark and Share
sham84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
Georgia State Too Good For the Sunbelt........
I usually like Ben Moore's stuff but this article is hilarious coming from a school that has drug down sunbelt football since it's joined...

http://georgiastate.247sports.com/Articl...n-44023203
03-02-2016 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
RE: Georgia State Too Good For the Sunbelt........
Putting the cart before the horse. That's the Georgia State way.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 09:59 AM by Ole Sleepy.)
03-02-2016 09:59 AM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
So Idaho and NMSU getting the boot means it's time for Georgia State to leave.

That's the same thing as saying if it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.
03-02-2016 10:03 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
Typical, Ben never really shows respect to fellow conference mates in order to garner clicks to his articles.

Quote:"The collection of Presidents in Boone, Statesboro, Troy, Mobile, Jonesboro, Monroe, Lafayette and San Marcos thought it needed to add another peer school so they looked to Myrtle Beach."

[Image: giphy.gif]
03-02-2016 10:04 AM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
I needed a good chuckle this morning.
03-02-2016 10:05 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
The SEC is on line 1 ...
03-02-2016 10:06 AM
Advertisement

StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
I guess when UAB dropped football, you forgot about the majority of the fans of the teams in the Sun Belt swore they were the best option for CUSA.

From the article...
Quote:As one of the top research universities in the southeast and the country, GSU needs to move its athletic department forward.

That is a true statement. Our athletic facilities need to catch up with our academic facilities. I also believe we need attendance stability in either basketball over 3k or football over 20k or both for a couple of years. I would say at least 5 teams from the Sun Belt would make a jump to CUSA let alone AAC if the opportunity came.

Dress for the job you want. Not the one you have. If you do that, you raise the level of the Sun Belt until you get it.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 10:10 AM by StanMolsonMan.)
03-02-2016 10:09 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Hmmm, ok, from a size and money standpoint yes State is not like the rest of us. However, this is about athletics. In athletics, State made a bowl game after being the doormat of the league. That, in and of itself is more "interesting" than noteworthy. In basketball, one 1st round pick player made them a success. Now that he is gone, they are marginal...so, where is this grand athletic success at State that affords them the opportunity to move "onward and upward" from the SBC???
03-02-2016 10:09 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(03-02-2016 09:54 AM)sham84 Wrote:  I usually like Ben Moore's stuff but this article is hilarious coming from a school that has drug down sunbelt football since it's joined...

well I agree with the general sentiment but I have to say that there are some good schools in the belt and my own school would never take a back seat to ga. state. The drive to add just any old cheesey school that has a football team became obvious when coastal, a school that has pretty much no academic standing was selected. we have now run off two state flagship schools that suck sports wise but that people have actually heard of and I never have to explain to my friends who they are when they ask "who are you guys playing this week?" It seemed to me that both Idaho and nmsu were making an effort to be relevant. you guys wonder why stAte and u-laf have one foot out the door.
03-02-2016 10:11 AM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Quick someone see where we would rate without them in the Belt. We would almost assuredly move up to 3rd in the CFP.
03-02-2016 10:12 AM
DawggoneEagle Offline
Special Teams

(03-02-2016 09:54 AM)sham84 Wrote:  I usually like Ben Moore's stuff but this article is hilarious coming from a school that has drug down sunbelt football since it's joined...

This Ben Moore guy should be a comedian. Completely delusional !

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
03-02-2016 10:13 AM
Advertisement

sham84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(03-02-2016 10:09 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  I guess when UAB dropped football, you forgot about the majority of the fans of the teams in the Sun Belt swore they were the best option for CUSA.

Absolutely and I don't even fault any schools for wanting to make the move. My problem is Georgia State athletics and fanbase is a joke and is part of the reason the conference has been drug down and he writes as if every other school is the problem.
03-02-2016 10:13 AM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

If Georgia State was in the SEC, Ben would write about how they have out-grown that league and want to join the NFL.
03-02-2016 10:16 AM
Baldy Offline
2nd String

Never Ben Moore wrong is the gift that keeps giving. 03-lmfao
03-02-2016 10:18 AM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
Everytime one of you clicks that link, Ben Moore is like:

03-02-2016 10:19 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I'd suggest taking NMSU back and setting Georgia State free from its cage so it can enjoy its limitless horizons without the dead weight of some conference dragging it down.
03-02-2016 10:23 AM
Advertisement

StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

(03-02-2016 10:13 AM)sham84 Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 10:09 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  I guess when UAB dropped football, you forgot about the majority of the fans of the teams in the Sun Belt swore they were the best option for CUSA.

Absolutely and I don't even fault any schools for wanting to make the move. My problem is Georgia State athletics and fanbase is a joke and is part of the reason the conference has been drug down and he writes as if every other school is the problem.

And when everyone up and left, we were all you could get. Which should tell you a little about the Sun Belt's position.

Look no one likes hearing their baby is ugly. At State we play in a glorified gym for basketball and a high school baseball field on steroids 8 miles away. Attendance is at best apathetic in recent history.

But we have a plan to improve, and we are executing it. A lot of it lies with Turner, but ULM doesn't exactly move the needle with our alumni and donors just like we don't with y'alls. But if we point to a Memphis or a Cincinnati, and say that is where we are going, but we can't get there like this. We need $$. We need support for Turner Field. It starts generating money. We hold up a picture of the Cajundome(which is a facility that would fit in with any AAC arena), and say we need to catch up to these guys in the Belt. You generate nothing in Atlanta. That is the truth.

Will get an invite to AAC or CUSA? Who knows? But at Georgia State we have to start taking those steps now in order to be ready. And if the invite doesn't come, we elevate the profile of the Sun Belt as we build.
03-02-2016 10:28 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I'm telling you, the way to make everyone happy is to dissolve the SBC and CUSA and create two new conferences…

Football conference:
GS, App State, Ark State, Troy, ULM, ULL, Marshall, USM, WKU, Coastal, Texas State, MTSU

Marketz Conference:
G State, FAU, FIU, North Texas, Charlotte, UTEP, La Tech, ODU, Rice, UTSA, UAB

Obviously LA Tech and MTSU might should be switched but I think it works better this way. South Alabama can go with who they want.

Then State can be among their peers. Everyone wins.
03-02-2016 10:30 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

(03-02-2016 10:19 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  Everytime one of you clicks that link, Ben Moore is like:

This.
03-02-2016 10:30 AM
BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

From the article...
Quote:As one of the top research universities in the southeast and the country, GSU needs to move its athletic department forward.

That is a true statement. Our athletic facilities need to catch up with our academic facilities. I also believe we need attendance stability in either basketball over 3k or football over 20k or both for a couple of years. I would say at least 5 teams from the Sun Belt would make a jump to CUSA let alone AAC if the opportunity came.

Dress for the job you want. Not the one you have. If you do that, you raise the level of the Sun Belt until you get it.

No offense Stan, but I think you and Ben are both severely overrating your academic prestige. That's not to say GSU isn't a really god school, but unless you count like 250 schools as the top research universities in the country, it's just not really one of them.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 10:35 AM by BurlingtonApp.)
03-02-2016 10:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.